EoD seem kinda cool, but Anet should announce they will work on 4th Expansion

16 minutes ago, piitb.7635 said:

I think a lot of people said the same thing about mounts and how mounts wouldn't work in GW2. 

When? Where? Why? 😄  I fail to see any connection between mounts and what I said.

16 minutes ago, piitb.7635 said:

Personally the way I think heroes could work is if it was like a Metroidvania style framework.  Like a heroes can preform some action that allows advancement in the zone designs.  Sort of like how some mounts work like the jackal and portals, but a much bigger and grander vision.

Ah, so the idea of heroes you have here is just how current masteries/mount skills work but they're personified, taking the forms of physical npcs running behind the player and using the skill instead of the player using it by themselves or by being on a mount?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

41 minutes ago, piitb.7635 said:

I think a lot of people said the same thing about mounts and how mounts wouldn't work in GW2. 

But ANet came up with possibly one of the best mount systems in an MMO.

Personally the way I think heroes could work is if it was like a Metroidvania style framework.  Like a heroes can preform some action that allows advancement in the zone designs.  Sort of like how some mounts work like the jackal and portals, but a much bigger and grander vision.

Noone said mounts would not work in gw2 they said it was not needed when we had waypoints every 10 meters.

If the expansion maps continue with the same waypoint saturation we still would not need mounts in gw2.

Im not saying that they dident hit it out of the park and deliver as you say one of the best mount systems in an mmo to date.

But to do that they created a need for it.

I fail to see how your second paragraph is even remotely better then what we have already considering the examples you gave.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

20 hours ago, piitb.7635 said:

But ANet came up with possibly one of the best mount systems in an MMO.

Only way I see Heroes working is in instanced Story instances like Living World

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Knighthonor.4061 said:

I agree.  Maybe also in dungeons; you pick up/choose a hero party when you enter, so you can do the content solo or with only one or two other people.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Knighthonor.4061 said:

The way I see heroes working in the open world is it will be like a swap mechanic with your main character almost akin to swapping your weapon..  Then group content they can act as party members and will be unavailable in PvP

Its a way to add classes without technically adding classes.  

Just as a hypothetical example, lets say we get a Dervish hero.  I am using Dervish as an example because it was a class in Guild Wars 1, so has a basis in the background.

A Dervish wields a scythe and has unique weapon and utility skills, but far less as a fleshed out than an actual class created by the player  It has a lot less customization on how the players class can be built.  And it will have its own set of collectible equipment.

Then through the mastery system, lets say the hero gets a special ability tied specifically to their archetype,   a double jump, or hit multiple objects at once etc...which allows progress through some of the environments, much like mounts do. 

And it can also be an avenue to add new races without going to the whole 10 yards of making everything that comes with a race, like a capital city, storyline, etc...  For example, we get a skritt hero.

Edited by piitb.7635
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, piitb.7635 said:

The way I see heroes working in the open world is it will be like a swap mechanic with your main character almost akin to swapping your weapon..  Then group content they can act as party members and will be unavailable in PvP

Its a way to add classes without technically adding classes.  

Just as a hypothetical example, lets say we get a Dervish hero.  I am using Dervish as an example because it was a class in Guild Wars 1, so has a basis in the background.

A Dervish wields a scythe and has unique weapon and utility skills, but far less as a fleshed out than an actual class created by the player  It has a lot less customization on how the players class can be built.  And it will have its own set of collectible equipment.

Then through the mastery system, lets say the hero gets a special ability tied specifically to their archetype,   a double jump, or hit multiple objects at once etc...which allows progress through some of the environments, much like mounts do. 

And it can also be an avenue to add new races without going to the whole 10 yards of making everything that comes with a race, like a capital city, storyline, etc...  For example, we get a skritt hero.

The idea you presented sounds more like an Environmental Weapon but by a different name, rather than what people think of when talking about Heroes from GW2.  Because if your Hero concept replaces your character in any way, its not a NPC hero anymore, its something else.

As for NPC heroes, as somebody already mentioned, it's very taxing on the system, for same reason Minis get disabled in large events/Large Fights.

So if everybody has NPC heroes in open world,  how would that play out in the above scenario?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Knighthonor.4061 said:

The idea you presented sounds more like an Environmental Weapon but by a different name, rather than what people think of when talking about Heroes from GW2.  Because if your Hero concept replaces your character in any way, its not a NPC hero anymore, its something else.

As for NPC heroes, as somebody already mentioned, it's very taxing on the system, for same reason Minis get disabled in large events/Large Fights.

So if everybody has NPC heroes in open world,  how would that play out in the above scenario?

I envision it as a tag system.  You tag in a hero. 

Lets say there are 6 heroes that you can collect, very similar to mounts where its based on zone and progression in the story., Each has their own skill sets.  Maybe one hero is  a tank, maybe another is a stealthy assassin, etc...  You can load up 2 of them  be tagged in at will. The other 4 are not available unless you put them in the slots to be tagged in..  Probably menu driven like skill points.

I am not keen on making heroes like a pet.  It made GW1 to exploitable with macros, where you tied specific skills to a hotkey and go around nuking everything with a touch of a button.

• Confused 6

Im here for the confused reactions because the concept of longtern faith and security for the players is lost to ppl in the forums. 

Getting eod is cool, but if following eod theres another 9 months drought and even after that expac 4 isnt confirmed then we are back to square 1 and anet will once again have justified ppl's opinions that they simply dont have their kitten together.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

On 1/4/2022 at 4:53 AM, Poormany.4507 said:

I don't see any reason why they would make that kind of an announcement at this point.

1. Any hype generated by such an announcement would be immediately lost and forgotten the moment EoD is released. Assuming its like HoT and PoF, EoD is going to likely occupy players for several weeks to months, during which many, if not most, players won't care about the next Living World or Expac at all. I haven't seen anyone expecting an expac directly after EoD (that's just unrealistic) and there will most likely be a tie-up LW season (partially) in Cantha after EoD. That would take months, if not years to launch/complete. Considering that, the next expac would probably be at least 2-3+ years later (assuming there is one), so what benefit would making the announcement right now have?

2. If there isn't anything planned after EoD (highly unlikely since DX11 is being launched at around the same time), why would Anet, or any other gaming company, say so right before the release (especially considering the Steam release will likely launch soon)? That would just be throwing all their hard work on the expac, as well as the associated profits away for no benefits (both to Anet or to the playerbase).

Ppl want to know theres a strong future and you clearly werent here during the first year of hot if you think ppl werent vocal about the content drought post hot.

The game needs to tell its olayers and the outside space that it has its kitten figured out and it has a solid plan for the next 2 if not more years.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, zealex.9410 said:

Im here for the confused reactions because the concept of longtern faith and security for the players is lost to ppl in the forums. 

Getting eod is cool, but if following eod theres another 9 months drought and even after that expac 4 isnt confirmed then we are back to square 1 and anet will once again have justified ppl's opinions that they simply dont have their kitten together.

But why borrow trouble? We don't know what the 9 months following will look like, and an announcement before launch of the expac is premature.

It's just weird to start talking about next month's party the day before this week's party. Then you're really communicating you have no faith in this week's.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

i may be in the minatory here, but i would like to see them work on a new game. GW2 came out in 2012, so the main engine and tech is atleast 15 years old. i know they have updated it some. make a new mmo, working on SSD and newer engines that has crossplay like FFX14, with the GW2 play ideas. the b2p with pay to look pretty, the living story content. get that on the mass console with everyone, then just Anet keep doing what they have done over the years

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

38 minutes ago, aven.1537 said:

i may be in the minatory here, but i would like to see them work on a new game. GW2 came out in 2012, so the main engine and tech is atleast 15 years old. i know they have updated it some. make a new mmo, working on SSD and newer engines that has crossplay like FFX14, with the GW2 play ideas. the b2p with pay to look pretty, the living story content. get that on the mass console with everyone, then just Anet keep doing what they have done over the years

They tried that afew years ago and all of the projects failed so they was forced to go back to gw2.

MO tried to get GW3 of the ground and left when it was shutdown by Ncsoft.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

Do you have any source(s) for this? Everything I've seen so far says they were working on projects, but not what the projects were or whether they had anything to do with GW2. That'd be pretty huge news if it were confirmed that GW3 was in development and then shuttered.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Do you have any source(s) for this? Everything I've seen so far says they were working on projects, but not what the projects were or whether they had anything to do with GW2. That'd be pretty huge news if it were confirmed that GW3 was in development and then shuttered.

https://kotaku.com/source-departing-arenanet-president-was-working-on-pot-1838755217

I would not go as far as saying they should start working on 4th expansion straith away. For the first reason cause I believe they should stand by their product.

However, I do think Arenanet should stop cathering our demands and bring back their own creativity. The main game was great cause it was groundbreaking and revolutionary. After that they started cathering us, the decline started and content has been getting lesser in quality.

This is the second and main reason to dissagree with the OP. They should stop listening to our demands and whimps and do what they feel is the right course. So whatever they do next, I hope they do not listen to us, but go back to their roots, and making up great content on their own.

Edited by mercury ranique.2170
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/12/2022 at 10:42 AM, Gibson.4036 said:

But why borrow trouble? We don't know what the 9 months following will look like, and an announcement before launch of the expac is premature.

This is exactly it. Publicly setting out some sort of unnecessary goal, then very likely failing to meet it, has very little merit IMO.

I guess what OP and @zealex.9410might disagree with is the 'unnecessary' part. I think they should definitely say something after EoD launches, bugs are found and fixed, and the novelty of the new content wears off enough. But right now? Don't think so.

Edited by voltaicbore.8012
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

This is exactly it. Publicly setting out some sort of unnecessary goal, then very likely failing to meet it, has very little merit IMO.

I guess what OP and @zealex.9410might disagree with is the 'unnecessary' part. I think they should definitely say something after EoD launches, bugs are found and fixed, and the novelty of the new content wears off enough. But right now? Don't think so.

Idk i guess im spoiled by other mmos that outline updates and talk about stuff that are further on than the next update building a sense of security and trust in the game.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

47 minutes ago, zealex.9410 said:

Idk i guess im spoiled by other mmos that outline updates and talk about stuff that are further on than the next update building a sense of security and trust in the game.

Well its quite nice that anet have already done so aswell right?

Next update is lunar new year and after that the expansion in feburary so it already speak about more then just the next update.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/13/2022 at 12:43 AM, Linken.6345 said:

They tried that afew years ago and all of the projects failed so they was forced to go back to gw2.

citation needed

On 1/13/2022 at 2:38 AM, Linken.6345 said:

doesn't count, everything beyond "new GW related project" is kotaku's speculation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

citation needed

doesn't count, everything beyond "new GW related project" is kotaku's speculation.

How about this one?

https://massivelyop.com/2019/12/18/flameseeker-chronicles-guild-wars-2s-2019-year-in-review-from-icebrood-saga-to-the-future/

But I guess thats not enough either and only Mike himself coming and saying yes this was the reason would be enough right?