Most played class\build for raids and such...

Joxer.6024

Ok Gamers, time to pick yer brains. Not for any reason other than just curiosity as to how the game is fleshing out I  would like to find out what Class is played the most in raids, for like the most Bosses. Have tried the Google thing and even Gw2Wingman site but that doesnt really give a breakdown of each class and such. Or maybe it does and i just cant find it. And  sites like SC and LN are ok but again, not really clear, example is on Lucky Noobs they have Condi Ren and yet show it not viable for alot of the Bosses, seems odd as they appear to be in just about every fight? Now, they are Speed clear site so that may be the reason?

Anyways, anyone with any clue as to if this info is even a thing, and if so, what are they? Cheers!  😉

(dont say Guardian, dont say Guardian, dont say.....)

Edited by Joxer.6024

Guardian, revenant or necromancer. 

Revenant - although yes Condi rev is bad on some fights. 10 man alac is never bad. 

Guardian - most popular proffession in the game. 

Necromancer - again very popular among the playerbase 

One of those three I'd pressume. 

Most people who are invested likely have 1 of every proffession so whatever is super strong generally gets popular quickly. 

Edited by Daddy.8125
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Daddy.8125 said:

Most people who are invested likely have 1 of every proffession so whatever is super strong generally gets popular quickly. 

I have one of each geared for raids....just wanting to see what pans out in EoD as to which to really play although Ren is a fav of mine but damned if Willybender aint looking tasty....chocies.  😉

Unfortunately for you the answer is guardian, the only places people specifically want power are on KC/VG where they ask for StM chronos usually if not a healbrand.

This may change if harbinger or catalyst become strong quickness sources with fury output as well.

Condi ren is usually usable everywhere except on KC where you would just run alac ren. On VG there is +35% power bonus as well but you can just do red guardian.

28 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Unfortunately for you the answer is guardian, the only places people specifically want power are on KC/VG where they ask for StM chronos usually if not a healbrand.

This may change if harbinger or catalyst become strong quickness sources with fury output as well.

Condi ren is usually usable everywhere except on KC where you would just run alac ren. On VG there is +35% power bonus as well but you can just do red guardian.

Will this support over dps ever change? My issue with support is that if I screw up (i'm old, forgive me,lol) and die then the team looses what i was giving them vs if im dps its just that less dps but the squad can go on for the most part....or is this twisted thinking? 😉 In other words do you have a choice to say, just come as condi Ren or will you be told to alac or get out? 

Edited by Joxer.6024

45 minutes ago, Joxer.6024 said:

Will this support over dps ever change? My issue with support is that if I screw up (i'm old, forgive me,lol) and die then the team looses what i was giving them vs if im dps its just that less dps but the squad can go on for the most part....or is this twisted thinking? 😉 In other words do you have a choice to say, just come as condi Ren or will you be told to alac or get out? 

While you have things providing both boons and high DPS likely no. 

To your second part. Depends if you join as a alac or not, they will want a alac provider. If they already have one then being a DPS rev is fine. 

8 hours ago, Joxer.6024 said:

Firebrand then. What?!? I did not say Guardian :D.

Gw2 wingman has a nice tab called Fancy stat that pretty much covers your question. You have squad composition and profession occurrences for each bosses, if you want percentages you just have to put the numbers into your computer and let it do the maths. Since I am a nice guy I have done it for you for Vale guardian specifically but feel free to do the rest if you are interested. Note that while it includes a good sample size, the sample itself is not necessarily super representative of the general player base so take these numbers with a grain of salt.

Profession --- (most common spec among the profession)

Guardian 21.01% --- (Firebrand 77.04%)

Necromancer 15.84% --- (Scourge 89.59%)

Revenant 14.77% --- (Renegade 97.80%)

Ranger 12.40% --- (Druid 74.12%)

Warrior 10.82% --- (Berserker 99.12%)

Mesmer 9.83% --- (Chronomancer 87.35%)

Engineer 9.08% --- (Holosmith 69.28%)

Thief 3.07% --- (Daredevil 91.59%)

Elementalist 3.03% --- (Weaver 55.77%)

Unknown 0.16%

Edited by Guybrush.4762

1 hour ago, Guybrush.4762 said:

Firebrand then. What?!? I did not say Guardian :D.

Gw2 wingman has a nice tab called Fancy stat that pretty much covers your question. You have squad composition and profession occurrences for each bosses, if you want percentages you just have to put the numbers into your computer and let it do the maths. Since I am a nice guy I have done it for you for Vale guardian specifically but feel free to do the rest if you are interested. Note that while it includes a good sample size, the sample itself is not necessarily super representative of the general player base so take these numbers with a grain of salt.

Profession --- (most common spec among the profession)

Guardian 21.01% --- (Firebrand 77.04%)

Necromancer 15.84% --- (Scourge 89.59%)

Revenant 14.77% --- (Renegade 97.80%)

Ranger 12.40% --- (Druid 74.12%)

Warrior 10.82% --- (Berserker 99.12%)

Mesmer 9.83% --- (Chronomancer 87.35%)

Engineer 9.08% --- (Holosmith 69.28%)

Thief 3.07% --- (Daredevil 91.59%)

Elementalist 3.03% --- (Weaver 55.77%)

Unknown 0.16%

Thats awesome! thanks so much that, just what I was looking for!!  😉

And by the looks of things there are like 5 classes that raid, thats sad and un-balanced as hell. ah well, changes coming soon...

Edited by Joxer.6024

35 minutes ago, Joxer.6024 said:

Thats awesome! thanks so much that, just what I was looking for!!  😉

And by the looks of things there are like 5 classes that raid, thats sad and un-balanced as hell. ah well, changes coming soon...

I think that's the case it will always be. 

For example many beleive due to higher effort required elementalist should do more DPS by default. 

However the game will never balance itself based on proffession difficulty. Therefore they will choose to play a easier to play proffession to save hassle. 

Engineer is themtically not appealing to the majority in any game. They generally are always low pop. 

Thief is prolly fixable and maybe spectre being a supportive role will help that but again it's a super squishy specc so people avoid it. 

Kinda just how human nature is. People jump on what's popular and path of least resistance is always something alot chase 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Daddy.8125 said:

I think that's the case it will always be. 

For example many beleive due to higher effort required elementalist should do more DPS by default. 

However the game will never balance itself based on proffession difficulty. Therefore they will choose to play a easier to play proffession to save hassle. 

Engineer is themtically not appealing to the majority in any game. They generally are always low pop. 

Thief is prolly fixable and maybe spectre being a supportive role will help that but again it's a super squishy specc so people avoid it. 

Kinda just how human nature is. People jump on what's popular and path of least resistance is always something alot chase 

Would change instantly if there were profession leaderboards as on wingman stats.

Right now you get the same garbage rewards no matter what you do (well not in fractals but raids/strikes). In fractals if you hit more targets then you get more loot obviously.

4 hours ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Would change instantly if there were profession leaderboards as on wingman stats.

Right now you get the same garbage rewards no matter what you do (well not in fractals but raids/strikes). In fractals if you hit more targets then you get more loot obviously.

Leaderboards are defintly a way to push people out the mindset for sure, I doubt Anet would sadly do it though. 

Hopefully they find a way to make people kinda forget the mindset. 

As I do disagree with pushing difficulty into the balancing and intentionally unbalancing the game to make them feel rewarding. But with how the game is its far easier to farm the gear on a easier to play proffession to then swap the rewards to Ur other character.

For example legendary armour, it wouldn't be as hard to earn with say necromancer to then use it on your elementalist. 

14 minutes ago, Daddy.8125 said:

Leaderboards are defintly a way to push people out the mindset for sure, I doubt Anet would sadly do it though. 

Hopefully they find a way to make people kinda forget the mindset. 

As I do disagree with pushing difficulty into the balancing and intentionally unbalancing the game to make them feel rewarding. But with how the game is its far easier to farm the gear on a easier to play proffession to then swap the rewards to Ur other character.

For example legendary armour, it wouldn't be as hard to earn with say necromancer to then use it on your elementalist. 

There's a precedent set by Ascension where playing one class doesn't allow you to finish it, you need to have at least 3 classes. All paid accounts have 5 character slots so therefore it is a bit lax already. What could happen is you get bonuses for doing encounters with classes. i.e. an optional achievement that only finishes if you do XYZ on every class or spec similar to weekly achievement.

I wouldn't want any additional gating for legendary armor because it is already complained about. I'm saying there should be an optional bonus as opposed to what we have now. Of course every class would need some viable power and condi build if not a support build. We're technically already there with revealed EOD specs except for heal warrior although arguably banner is a support and tactics warriors see use already especially in PVP/WVW ; mesmer can't really heal well but it is a support in terms of boons.

Arenanet doesn't have to do it directly even if it would help: they often support external efforts such as with the Community titles and item boxes. Some of the most fun things to do in raids is running 10 of a class just to push the limits of what is possible. I remember this past year they had some free publicity for raid league (see https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/join-the-gw2-raiding-league/ ) Discretize already put in a bounty program but they aren't Arenanet partner
https://discretize.eu/bounties/rules

Some great examples:
https://gw2raidleague.com/november-2020/   Random specializations vs. Random boss

https://gw2raidleague.com/july-2020/ Core classes only
https://gw2raidleague.com/august-2020 No healing challenge

50 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

I wouldn't want any additional gating for legendary armor because it is already complained about. I'm saying there should be an optional bonus as opposed to what we have now. Of course every class would need some viable power and condi build if not a support build. We're technically already there with revealed EOD specs except for heal warrior although arguably banner is a support and tactics warriors

oh no i didnt mean make it Harder or additional gates i just ment as a example where effectively theres a Path of Least resistance.

Something like Legendary armours Cosmetic apperance being tied to the proffession you earn it with could be cool tho, so diferent themes of it based on the proffession u earnt it with.

23 hours ago, Joxer.6024 said:

The good news is that it is sort of the opposite.  Playing tank or support in raids is arguably the easiest role to play, with but two exceptions (SH and Dhuum).  You just mash your buff and healing skills off cooldown, except for the one with the big heal/support that you save for when things go wrong.  You'll handle some special mechanics, but with rare exception those special mechanics are "do 1 thing when the boss does that 1 thing."  Compare this to DPS, where you need to submit replays with 90% Snowcrows benchmarks to join most statics, and angry commanders will kick the lowest DPS players from a failed (or sometimes successful) pull.

That's how I got into raids myself.  Due to my degenerating health, I can't do good DPS.  On a good day I'm at 80% benchmark, which is really good for a pug but not good enough for most organized groups.  So, I watched some videos to learn what the tank does in each fight, bought myself a set of exotic minstrel gear for my mesmer, and then I formed my own groups.  Turns out, I don't need to worry about profession popularity when I'm the tank, commander, and have the final word.

That all said, team composition isn't about professions and builds as much as it is about what roles need to be fulfilled.  The most played professions are the most versatile, capable of fulfilling multiple roles at once or one really important one really well.  Ele and thief are at the bottom of the list because they are very inflexible and don't handle that many raid mechanics.  Thief was so bad at it that Anet designed the Qadim fights specifically to give thieves a role.  In all irony, staff ele was dominant in dungeons and fractals when raids were released, so Anet made the raids avoid all the things that made ele so great elsewhere.  All that said, the only specs I wouldn't recommending bringing to raids would be tempests, and all thieves except for backstab-spamming variants.  Both for the same reason: forced but awkward movements on skills can really kill their viability, and they have little to nothing to compensate for this weakness in raids.

I wouldn't expect the EoD specs to change... much of anything, really.  It isn't guard/rev/necro that are strong insomuch as it is firebrand/renegade/scourge.  They're powerful because of the feature bloat that all three specs have.  The EoD specs are more reserved, focusing on 5-man boons, single-target heals, or high personal base damage.  The only thing EoD has going for it right now are the raw DPS numbers, which is also the thing most likely to get nerfed.  

The most popular in pugs would be Druid, Heal Firebrand and Alacrity Renegade.

It's up to you to decide what you want to play with. I sometimes pick condi Reaper, power Scrapper, power Spellbreaker power Renegade and it is fine. Meta is meta, most people won't care what you play if you pull decent numbers.

44 minutes ago, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

The good news is that it is sort of the opposite.  Playing tank or support in raids is arguably the easiest role to play, with but two exceptions (SH and Dhuum).  You just mash your buff and healing skills off cooldown, except for the one with the big heal/support that you save for when things go wrong.  You'll handle some special mechanics, but with rare exception those special mechanics are "do 1 thing when the boss does that 1 thing."  Compare this to DPS, where you need to submit replays with 90% Snowcrows benchmarks to join most statics, and angry commanders will kick the lowest DPS players from a failed (or sometimes successful) pull.

That's how I got into raids myself.  Due to my degenerating health, I can't do good DPS.  On a good day I'm at 80% benchmark, which is really good for a pug but not good enough for most organized groups.  So, I watched some videos to learn what the tank does in each fight, bought myself a set of exotic minstrel gear for my mesmer, and then I formed my own groups.  Turns out, I don't need to worry about profession popularity when I'm the tank, commander, and have the final word.

That all said, team composition isn't about professions and builds as much as it is about what roles need to be fulfilled.  The most played professions are the most versatile, capable of fulfilling multiple roles at once or one really important one really well.  Ele and thief are at the bottom of the list because they are very inflexible and don't handle that many raid mechanics.  Thief was so bad at it that Anet designed the Qadim fights specifically to give thieves a role.  In all irony, staff ele was dominant in dungeons and fractals when raids were released, so Anet made the raids avoid all the things that made ele so great elsewhere.  All that said, the only specs I wouldn't recommending bringing to raids would be tempests, and all thieves except for backstab-spamming variants.  Both for the same reason: forced but awkward movements on skills can really kill their viability, and they have little to nothing to compensate for this weakness in raids.

I wouldn't expect the EoD specs to change... much of anything, really.  It isn't guard/rev/necro that are strong insomuch as it is firebrand/renegade/scourge.  They're powerful because of the feature bloat that all three specs have.  The EoD specs are more reserved, focusing on 5-man boons, single-target heals, or high personal base damage.  The only thing EoD has going for it right now are the raw DPS numbers, which is also the thing most likely to get nerfed.  

"Compare this to DPS, where you need to submit replays with 90% Snowcrows benchmarks to join most statics, and angry commanders will kick the lowest DPS players from a failed (or sometimes successful) pull."

F that noise, its a game, not a job application so those folks can just bugger off with that mentality.

And yea, i was a tank in WOW and others for the same reason, no issue with dungeons or raids playing that role but GW2 is so different as far as tanking, or it seems to me.

But i like my Rev so should be fine....

11 hours ago, Joxer.6024 said:

What I would to see is being able to play the class I enjoy, in any content. I shouldnt be "forced" to make 15 toons of different specs to satisfy a meta. Ye, it may mean that the raid takes a bit longer but why hurry? Enjoy it, its a game....

Tbh Mighty teapot cleared all raids of level 74 core proffessions game rly has no requirement for you to play the meta. It's more player perception which drives this factor. 

Ironically some of the "slower options" ironically makes runs far easier and safer and would increase the win factor for many options. 

Things such as boon herald, support tempest and things are massive boons to unorganised groups and would likely help them successfully run. But they fixate on top DPS options. 

Edited by Daddy.8125
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2022 at 8:49 AM, Daddy.8125 said:

Thief has always been squishy because up to this point thief has had to go full glass to keep up with DPS and the profession has terrible sustain overall. That will change when the thief community realizes how broken a second HP bar and a 20k 16k healing burst every ~10s is.

Edited by Zacchary.6183

On 1/3/2022 at 7:40 PM, Joxer.6024 said:

Ok Gamers, time to pick yer brains. Not for any reason other than just curiosity as to how the game is fleshing out I  would like to find out what Class is played the most in raids, for like the most Bosses. Have tried the Google thing and even Gw2Wingman site but that doesnt really give a breakdown of each class and such. Or maybe it does and i just cant find it. And  sites like SC and LN are ok but again, not really clear, example is on Lucky Noobs they have Condi Ren and yet show it not viable for alot of the Bosses, seems odd as they appear to be in just about every fight? Now, they are Speed clear site so that may be the reason?

Anyways, anyone with any clue as to if this info is even a thing, and if so, what are they? Cheers!  😉

Simple guardian is most played, however, druid is in nearly every squad as is revenant. The rest can be anything and depend on which boss. On a few bosses Mirage can replace a rev but only really 3 and the rev still has better utility in general. Scrapper can also supliment for guardian but is considered inferior because it lacks aegis and that sweet cdps+quickness+aegis+reflect+stab or heals+quickness+aegis+cdps that can work so well in many fights. Necro is popular but so are others and dps is dps many classes can do it some like engi, necro, guardian, war are easier to pull good numbers so they are more common dps. Chrono used to be the best but like weaver its a total pain and these days aguably not worth the trouble compared to the rest.

So again in order the most played class in raids and fractals: Guardian (dps, quickness, or heals), ren (alac + cc + util or c/dps), ranger(druid as spirits, might, heals) the rest dont matter and are less common.

• Like 1