Sources of Fury

Stx.4857

So I am dusting off my old Necro sad trying to make a reaper build for open world and it's a bit frustrating because obviously I feel forced into soul reaping, and with my 3rd tree I now feel forced into spite for the access to fury from fear effects. 

I would love to make a build using death magic or maybe even blood for the sustain.  But then I would have no fury at all, or get it from runes for a .33 uptime.  I know there is food that grants fury on kill, but then I wouldn't have it for champions or tough bounties.  I really wish either soul reaping or reaper gave a source of fury.  I guess I could just not run fury and take decimate armor then run whatever 3rd tree I want.

Fury: 20% crit chance.

Spite: Dread grant you fury (10s).

Curse: Furious demise grant you fury (8s) + 180 precision and Target the weak can get you quite a lot of crit chance (up to 28%).

Soul reaping: Death perception -> 33% crit chance while in shroud.

Reaper: Decimate defense potentially offer you 50% crit chance.

Scourge: Feed from corruption can grant you fury if you corrupt the right boon.

Harbinger: Elixir of risk and elixir of ambition can provide fury.

Runes:

- Superior rune of rage can grant you perma fury.

- Superior rune of the pack and firework can offer you a bit of fury as well.

On top of that, with the proper gear (PvE/WvW) it's possible to cap crit chance at 100% without trait or skill or even boon. Considering this, I don't think death magic or blood magic need "fury".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Considering this, I don't think death magic or blood magic need "fury".

Of course not.. they are more defensive in nature.  I would suggest adding it somewhere in soul reaping or reaper.  So that way you aren't forced into spite just to gain fury.  

I think I may have overlooked runes of rage basically dismissing them as bad.  But for the build I'm trying to make they may be quite useful, so thank you for that.

10 hours ago, Stx.4857 said:

I think I may have overlooked runes of rage basically dismissing them as bad.  But for the build I'm trying to make they may be quite useful, so thank you for that.

As far as I'm aware (and according to the Wiki) Runes of Rage grant Fury once upon entering combat, and don't reapply that effect in combat. So unless you can constantly break and enter combat, they won't help you much without another Fury source. 

In any case though, even Fury aside, if you want to do reasonable damage you'll always be forced into either two of Spite, Curses and Soul Reaping on Necro (be it for Might, Vuln, Modifiers, making Scepter a viable weapon, etc.). 

Taking either DM or BM alone will always cut your damage by 33-66%, for largely unneeded sustain/defensive (in PvE), as much as we might be tempted by them for thematic reasons or looking for alternative ways to play, it's rarely worth it.

Edited by Asum.4960

1 hour ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

What? I never tested it, but assumed Rage worked like all the rest, reapplying the boon according to the cooldown while in combat. Ugh, that stinks, I've been using that rune set on builds that benefit from Fury.

I just tested it and it indeed only grants the Fury once. The difference is in the wording, Runes of Rage stating "Gain Fury when entering Combat" and Runes like Fireworks stating "Gain Boons while in Combat", which includes upon entering as well + continuously as per CD.

• Thanks 1

Honestly I don't feel "forced" to use Spite and Soul Reaping, because they are the best traitlines for reaper in open world. Death Magic shines with a minion build, but a minion build kills your wells which are a huge source of DPS. Blood magic is nice but you will miss a lot of autohealing while in shroud and, again, it's better with a minion build because all minions siphon health.

Death Perception is enough for high crit. I use zerk/marauder mix with eagle runes and I get 97-98% crit in shroud. I don't even need to use Decimate Defences so I can run Soul Eater instead (if you really want an autoheal). DD has better crit when maxed, but you have to wait for the vuln ramp-up.

But it's not only the crit traits, Spite and SR are too good with their might/vuln generation to pass.

Rune of Fireworks ... all you need to use. 

it's weird you feel 'forced' to use the best traitlines for an OW power build ... seems to me that's what anyone wanting the best DPS performance would naturally do. I would argue that you don't even need to source fury on Necro if you make the right choices ... and that's a really nice thing. It's not often a class will give you different paths to a good result like that. 

Edited by Obtena.7952

13 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

it's weird you feel 'forced' to use the best traitlines for an OW power build

Very easily explained.

Path of least resistance, the stronger your build is the easier the content is. It is far easier to overwhelm content with a strong build then it is to play something weaker. 

Hence the popularity disparity between necromancer, revenant and guardian to things such as thief and elementalist. 

Most would prefer concrete results then they would experimental builds, so people will oftenly take concrete results I.E meta builds for the sake of ease. 

As by today standards that is considered the correct way to play, very much like lots thing mounts were a negative move in the game, but will still use them. As it would be considered to be playing the game badly to ignore such a strong mechanic in open world content. 

On 1/5/2022 at 9:00 PM, Stx.4857 said:

So I am dusting off my old Necro sad trying to make a reaper build for open world and it's a bit frustrating because obviously I feel forced into soul reaping, and with my 3rd tree I now feel forced into spite for the access to fury from fear effects. 

I would love to make a build using death magic or maybe even blood for the sustain.  But then I would have no fury at all, or get it from runes for a .33 uptime.  I know there is food that grants fury on kill, but then I wouldn't have it for champions or tough bounties.  I really wish either soul reaping or reaper gave a source of fury.  I guess I could just not run fury and take decimate armor then run whatever 3rd tree I want.

celestial+marauder, pack runes. axe warhorn /greatsword.

spite 321 sr 312 reaper 223. enough boons for everything open world  perma quickness, swiftness,might,fury etc.