Can you stop asking for deep masteries on achievements?

I'm a rather new player and I'm trying to do the season of the dragon, but I'm stuck because I don't have the oakheart mastery to grapple around. I can't do the jumping puzzle on the volcano map.
And that mastery is pretty deep in the tree, I will probably have to spend a week grinding only to get it. And now I have started fearing what the future is going to ask from me.

More mastery grinding to do the achievements? Should I even bother continuing?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 9

The achievements are going nowhere and some are designed so that you can come back later. You can move onto a diff episode in season 3 and still work on your mastery as you play and thus avoid any grind. Remember these were part of content which had 3 months+ between episodes to fill

Yes you will need masteries for some achievements at points in the game since some of them are testing your skill in using the mastery itself

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 4

26 minutes ago, Macabre.3829 said:

Being required to play through the game's content in order to get specific achievements seems pretty reasonable to me. You don't "just deserve achievement/s for showing up". Play the game, get masteries, get achievements. It's not a race.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 2

To unlock the mastery "Oakheart's Reach", you need 2.5 million XP and 17 HoT Mastery Points if you are starting from zero. The XP should be very easy just by doing meta events in HoT maps, especially if you have boosters. There are some quite forgiving adventures, too, that you can reach gold on fairly easy. Once a day they give you a nice amount of XP, as well. The Mastery Points should be straightforward, too. There is a pool of 198 points you have to find 17 of. 40 of them are Insights and 21 are Strongboxes. You don't even have to do a single event to gather all that you need for this.

The end reward for the meta achievement is a Legendary Amulet. It's already considered by far the easiest of legendaries to obtain and one of the reason for this, I believe, is that what you perceive as obstacles are actually trivial to most players simply because they had long fulfilled those prerequisites by the time the Return achievements were first added.

In other words, we all went through what you are going through, only maybe not all at once, like you feel now you have to. Well, you don't. Be patient and enjoy the game. The achievements are here for good, there is absolutely no need to rush them.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I don't remember using Oakheart's Reach for a Jumping Puzzle.  You might keep watch on the LFG, or ask around, for someone at the end where you can use a Teleport to a Friend.  (If that's not a JP with checkpoints.)

There is almost always a tag around everyday for both that one and the one in Siren's Landing

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I don't remember using Oakheart's Reach for a Jumping Puzzle.  You might keep watch on the LFG, or ask around, for someone at the end where you can use a Teleport to a Friend.  (If that's not a JP with checkpoints.)

That means you didn't do Searing Ascent. At least, not the intended way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Being required to play through the game's content in order to get specific achievements seems pretty reasonable to me. You don't "just deserve achievement/s for showing up". Play the game, get masteries, get achievements. It's not a race.

I disagree since the players should be able to pick their own journey 

• Haha 5
  • Confused 17

4 hours ago, Macabre.3829 said:

I'm a rather new player and I'm trying to do the season of the dragon, but I'm stuck because I don't have the oakheart mastery to grapple around. I can't do the jumping puzzle on the volcano map.
And that mastery is pretty deep in the tree, I will probably have to spend a week grinding only to get it. And now I have started fearing what the future is going to ask from me.

You can also skip this entirely by just looking for a group in LFG where someone has a tag up at the end of the puzzle and use a TP to friend. You periodically get teleport to friend from login rewards. I had the masteries, ironically, didn't want to burn the time on the JP. Tipped the guy like 50s or something. 

Edited by Firebeard.1746
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Macabre.3829 said:

You needed to do those Masteries to be able to proceed the HoT story (which is from 2015), so naturally the game assumes you have already leveled them.

Suggestion: Don't try to rush ahead in content but play the game in chronological order instead.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

This is a matter of perspective. Why do you need to do that achievement NOW as a new player?  Why does everything have to be done in order? Who determines that order besides you?

Over time, pretty much everything will be unlocked and everything will be trained. What's the rush exactly?

The game has a flow and though you may want to change it to make it your flow, some people aren't new players and still need stuff to work on. You need to re-prioritize to stop yourself from needlessly banging your head against the wall.  Do the stuff you can do now without grinding and keep in your mind, or a list, of stuff you need to come back to do.

The same way a new player doesn't need a legendary right away, is the same reason you don't need to do that specific jumping puzzle right away.  It'll be there. There's probably a lot more a new player needs to do that would be more beneficial to them.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

You needed to do those Masteries to be able to proceed the HoT story (which is from 2015), so naturally the game assumes you have already leveled them.

Suggestion: Don't try to rush ahead in content but play the game in chronological order instead.

No you don't. I have finished the whole story and I never needed to get so deep in ancient magic mastery. Maybe the first, but the Oakheart master is like 6th.

• Confused 3

13 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Maybe we're not playing the same game?

Last time I checked, those achievements aren't "show up get an achievement", even when you don't have the mastery. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Ausar.9542 said:

I disagree since the players should be able to pick their own journey 

And they are able to. Which doesn't mean they somehow deserve to get any achievement when they make a choice to not play/complete the relevant content. You don't need those achievements, so you're free to make your decisions while accepting what those decisions mean.

3 hours ago, Macabre.3829 said:

Maybe we're not playing the same game?

Last time I checked, those achievements aren't "show up get an achievement", even when you don't have the mastery. 

So play through the game, get the required masteries and then get the related achievements? 😮 

3 hours ago, Shadowmoon.7986 said:

Then do not get the rewards. I am sick of this community complaining about the journey and still expecting the reward.

⬆️ ⬆️⬆️ 

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 1/8/2022 at 9:45 AM, Macabre.3829 said:

Are you having fun playing? Then continue.

GW2 has a ton of ways you can play and advance. Do the story, start to finish; dig into instanced content like fractals or dungeons; wvv/pvp; work on crafting ascended gear or legendaries; aim to be one of the few who unlock every outfit or every weapon skin or something like that. Achievements are only one part of what the game has to offer. Seasons of the Dragon is permanent content, you don't have to do it now. If you do want to get into it, then know that it's intended as something you do over time, not something to finish this weekend.

• Like 4

On 1/7/2022 at 4:45 PM, Macabre.3829 said:

Just a heads up since newer players often don't know this: Mastery grind is just XP and you can boost your XP by gain by an order of a magnitude with very little expense. The most common methods are:

- Guild XP boost (from Tavern) and Guild Experience Banner.

- Ascended Amulet XP Enrichment, for Laurels.

- Food that boosts XP (I think the most is Candy Corn foods + Potion of Slaying Scarlet's Armies = 30%?).

- Laurel XP booster, which lasts 30mins/1 Laurel.

- Celebration or Birthday Booster (its the same buff, so only one or the other).

- Map specific XP boost. I believe LWS3 maps alternate between XP and karma, though.

There's more ways to boost it, but these are the most common and the easiest, and cost very little. Even getting an amulet for the enrichment is extremely easy in Draconis Mons, you can purchase one directly from the vendor for Fire Orchids that lets you select any stats you want.

Also, doing the map meta events (like Auric Basin) will yield large amounts of Mastery XP.

---

As for what the future holds, there's always going to be a Mastery grind because Masteries are how the game handles there not being a raise in the level cap. In other MMOs, the level cap is usually increased 10lvls every expo; that doesn't happen here. so instead you do account-wide Mastery grinds, which has the added benefit of carrying over to all past and future characters as long as they've hit level 80.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just use a teleport to friend on a lfg squad offering help with the jumping puzzles. The commander is usually at the end of the puzzle and you can safely port there. Oh, don't forget to pay the one helping for their service  of course. 😉 Usually 5 to 10g or more are the fees depending on how easy the puzzle is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 7