Gift of Battle

lina.6738

Hello!

I would like to ask you to please look into other ways of obtaining Gifts of Battle! From a player that has been playing the game since 2014 (with some breaks of course) the fact that i have to do WvW even for 1 hour is dreadful, let alone for 8 hours. It would be the dead of me! WvW is the one aspect of the game that I have never liked or really played/ enjoyed! When you think about it, everything else could be obtained through just regular PVE, except for some specific to a certain game mode items (legendary raid armor, wvw legendary armor, pvp legendary armor, conflux etc...). It doesn't make sense to have the Gift of Battle that is used for all legendary crafting to be locked to 1 game mode. It's not fair to those that don't like that game mode and it's pretty much forcing us to do it if we want to obtain the reward! And i would agree with it if it was a specific item needed only for certain things, but it's not! Any legendary crafting requires it and some of it require even 2! That's 16 hours of WvW! 16 HOURS! I would not survive to see the end of it! Are you trying to kill me?! Please for my sake and sanity, let us be able to obtain gifts of battle from some other sources (watch you put it in the gem store now lol)!

Thank you! Love you lots 

• Like 4
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 22
  • Sad 1

I am against changing it. You should have to play all game modes to get legendary items. 
In fact you can get gift of battle just by doing the PvE aspects of WvW. It’s really not a big deal. 
And why is it important since when you play the game? I play since launch, so what? 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 12
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

I am against changing it. You should have to play all game modes to get legendary items. 
In fact you can get gift of battle just by doing the PvE aspects of WvW. It’s really not a big deal. 
And why is it important since when you play the game? I play since launch, so what? 

All game modes. Why not sPvP then?

Im in favor to launch an sPvP track for GoB or an exchange of GoE for (1 or more )GoB. I have tried WvW aswell. Many times. Its not my thing and wont ever be. WvW players that dont like to do GoE should also be able to trade their GoB for an GoE.

To force people to try the game mode they could only unlock additional ways to obtain it after 1 completed GoB track in WvW. 

That said with boosters it rarely takes the full 8h and you can just do some easy dailies and occasionally tag with an open tag commander. I doubt theyll still change it now so if you want leggies you have to go through it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

42 minutes ago, lina.6738 said:

It doesn't make sense to have the Gift of Battle that is used for all legendary crafting to be locked to 1 game mode. It's not fair to those that don't like that game mode and it's pretty much forcing us to do it if we want to obtain the reward!

So what about players who prefer other modes having to leave theirs?

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Sigmoid.7082 said:

So what about players who prefer other modes having to leave theirs?

This.  What about the WvW players who don't want to run fractals?  They don't want to do that either.  It's fine as is, it encourages people to try a different game mode....WvW works because it has PvE built into it, unlike PvP.  Do a couple of the PvE dailies like killing the guards or the veteran creature...you can largely avoid other players doing those.  Use your reward track boost from a guild hall, use other enhancements to increase your reward gain, play when they have it featured for the week with xp and reward gains.  Adds up quickly.  Every mode does not need to have the same rewards.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, yoni.7015 said:

But legendary weapons don't use ALL gamemodes~. Pvp is once again the big loser, because you can just buy the shards-stuff.

@lina.6738: you dont' have to play wvw activly. Choose a time, where the maps are nearly empty(which is ... most of the time on my Server in EU), bring your'e track up with camps and killing vet's and dollys.

Use your'e booster. Then go to the parts in the middle and capture that every now and then.
And if you have become bored of that like me, take now and then a camp or kill vets to keep your track up.

This just takes time, no skill needed. Watch a movie alongside or stuff.

And do the easy dailys everyday as said.

Edited by Fuchslein.8639
  • Confused 3

5 minutes ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

But legendary weapons don't use ALL gamemodes~. Pvp is once again the big loser, because you can just buy the shards-stuff.

Yeah and like I already wrote I would prefer if you had to play PvP as well. But still doesn’t mean that you should get gift of battle outside WvW. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

27 minutes ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

Ah sorry, just saw this now~. I would so much love the idea, of gettin gift of battle in wvw AND pvp uu

Reward track for both would be good.  Again that comes down to that they've tried to keep it friendly for PvE with dailies, where you don't have to have any actual combat, hence why they don't have it as an option in PvP. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

If you don't want to do WvW, don't do it. But don't expect to get rewards purposefully tied to content without playing that content.

If you dread WvW so much, you already have an easy time getting the Gift of Battle via the easy PvE dailies in WoW. It just takes a wee bit longer. But that's the price for avoiding the mode as much as possible.

And pulling the "fair" card makes no sense, as you need the Gift of Exploration for legendaries as well, which in its current form is PvE-only (it used to require WvW).

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

16 minutes ago, Antycypator.9874 said:

I would like to see Gift of Battle available for Badges of Honor. You still have to play PvP or WvW to get them, right? At least you don't need to spend 6-8 hours everytime you need that Gift. I really don't understand why it got removed from vendor.

I think that you answered your own question.  Anet needs players spending time in-game in for their metrics.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

This always reads terribly:

Just don’t WvW and don’t Legendary and don’t worry about it. 

Why would WvW players even want people who do not want to play the game mode in there?  Why would there be a way to join WvW and not play the intended way?  Do people still PvP win trade to, skirting the system so players do but don’t actually have to play the mode as well?

Why are there alternative ways for PvE players to engage in these game modes that runs counter or at least not congruent with the game mode itself?  If there are alternate ways, why even bother putting players who don’t want to be there into that mode?

No player has ever provided a good enough reason for forcing other players into content they don’t want to play.  Has Anet???

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

16 minutes ago, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

This always reads terribly:

Just don’t WvW and don’t Legendary and don’t worry about it. 

Why would WvW players even want people who do not want to play the game mode in there?  Why would there be a way to join WvW and not play the intended way?  Do people still PvP win trade to, skirting the system so players do but don’t actually have to play the mode as well?

Why are there alternative ways for PvE players to engage in these game modes that runs counter or at least not congruent with the game mode itself?  If there are alternate ways, why even bother putting players who don’t want to be there into that mode?

No player has ever provided a good enough reason for forcing other players into content they don’t want to play.  Has Anet???

It's for legendary gear that's not giving you any power, so it's not something you somehow "need to get or you'll be left behind" (or be unable to play through x content; or have lower dps due to having ""only"" ascended gear). Making some "prestigious" gear prestigious through requirement to branch out into broader game content makes sense. Not sure why you'd need more reasons than that. (in fact, just like @yoni.7015 said above, I think it should include all of the modes by default)

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Whenever I venture into WvW, 99.9% of my time is spent being dead. I am absolute garbage at fighting other players and even in a zerg I usually get flattened, so I feel your pain OP. 

Despite this fact I've managed to get two GoB, one for Nevermore and the other I fed to a cat.  I just use every booster I can think that will help the reward track gain and dive in.  And even though my stress and anxiety were through the roof, I found it wasn't so bad.

Sure it took a while but I also found myself having an ok time.  Sometimes just running with a couple people killing guards and flipping camps, other times in a zerg with a commander who strategized in-between cracking jokes.  People who play Charr are the biggest offenders for saying stuff that makes me cry from laughing so I'll blame them for a few of my deaths.

I guess what I'm trying to say by rambling on is that I get it, there are some people who just don't like WvW all that much, me included.  It also wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be.  Maybe play in EB instead of one of the other maps, I found that easiest for me.  If you need a break, afk for 5 minutes or so somewhere safe, get a drink or a snack then continue.  Or leave altogether and come back another day.  You got this.

Hope this helps, most likely not, but there it is.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

It's for legendary gear that's not giving you any power, so it's not something you somehow "need to get or you'll be left behind" (or be unable to play through content; or have lower dps due to having ""only"" ascended gear). Making prestigious gear prestigious through requirement to branch into broader game content absolutely makes sense. Not sure why you'd need more reasons than that.

The focus of my questions is more about the general health of the game modes, and for players who enjoy those game modes.  What good does it do a competitive mode when a non-competitive player comes in and that player doesn't want to be there?

If this were Raiding, and a player who didn't want to raid, but wanted raid legendary armor, they couldn't really do it without a minimum investment of time and energy.  Unless they have stacks of cash/gold to buy their armor, they need to play, and most teams aren't going to want someone who isn't actively engaging in the game mode holding them back.  As in, if you don't learn how to Raid, you aren't getting Legendary armor.

So why do WvW players want people who do not like or enjoy the game mode playing it?  Why do you want players 'dumbing down' the player base?  Why is it okay to join WvW to NOT WvW?

Edited by Mungo Zen.9364
  • Like 2
  • Confused 8

Just now, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

The focus of my questions is more about the general health of the game modes in general, and for players who enjoy those game modes.  What good does it do a competitive mode when a non-competitive player comes in and that player doesn't want to be there?

If this were Raiding, and a player who didn't want to raid, but wanted raid legendary armor, they couldn't really do it without a minimum investment of time and energy.  Unless they have stacks of cash/gold to buy their armor, they need to play, and most teams aren't going to want someone who isn't actively engaging in the game mode holding them back.

So why do WvW players want people who do not like or enjoy the game mode playing it?  Why do you want players 'dumbing down' the player base?  Why is it okay to join WvW to NOT WvW?

So your question is not related to the thread? Since this is clearly about the legendary gear.

• Confused 3

7 minutes ago, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

It's clearly about looking for other ways to obtain Gift of Battle.

Yes, which is literally about legendary gear acquisition. 🙄 And why it shouldn't be a thing is what I commented on (and so did other people in this thread).

btw. your question about "dumbing down the playerbase" doesn't make much sense to me. It doesn't "dumb down" anything, since new players will almost always be worse/weaker but then they learn. So maybe you should substitute your previous "why would players want to dumb down their playerbase?" question with "why would players want new players flowing into their modes?" -and then you probably should be able to find/understand the answer by yourself.

Edited by Sobx.1758
misquoted something
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Yes. And why it shouldn't be a thing is what I commented on (and so did other people in this thread).

So let's back up a second.  Since the topic is about attaining a GoB, and there are many responses about how you can enter WvW and do PvE dailies to attain it, let's change the view.

I do not think that I should be able to enter WvW and do the current PvE tasks (or basically non-player interactive/non-PvP) to attain a GoB.  I also do not think I should be able to win trade in PvP or worse, just buy the items off the TP.

That has always been my stance.  I would rather players actually play the game mode (like raiding) to attain the PvP and WvW components for Legendary.  This would make it a lot harder than it already is.

I feel this way because the merits of the game mode should, more or less, stand on it's own.  By all means, force players into the game modes but then actually make them play the mode, not this half-kitten approach.  If a player doesn't want to play that mode then, don't.

Edited by Mungo Zen.9364
  • Confused 5