Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Smallest Nitpick of the Day: Mounting animations


Recommended Posts

It's such a tiny thing but I'm very disproportionately annoyed by it: when you use a Gemstore mount skin (especially a relatively elaborate and different one, like the Goat Springer or the new Roboskyscale) and you haven't mounted for a while, the next time you do mount, the default mount skin shows up for a split second before your custom skin loads up. Somehow that breaks my immersion in half which is silly but whatcha gonna do. Not sure if it can be fixed, sure would be nice if it was.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ariurotl.3718 said:

It's such a tiny thing but I'm very disproportionately annoyed by it: when you use a Gemstore mount skin (especially a relatively elaborate and different one, like the Goat Springer or the new Roboskyscale) and you haven't mounted for a while, the next time you do mount, the default mount skin shows up for a split second before your custom skin loads up. Somehow that breaks my immersion in half which is silly but whatcha gonna do. Not sure if it can be fixed, sure would be nice if it was.

When I mount up, I'm often sitting submerged partway in the ground until I instantly teleport forward to the spot I should have reached on the mount during that time.

This happens on my potato-powered laptop and my decently powerful desktop. 🤷‍♂️

Wish that could be fixed, too.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Ariurotl.3718 said:

It's such a tiny thing but I'm very disproportionately annoyed by it: when you use a Gemstore mount skin (especially a relatively elaborate and different one, like the Goat Springer or the new Roboskyscale) and you haven't mounted for a while, the next time you do mount, the default mount skin shows up for a split second before your custom skin loads up. Somehow that breaks my immersion in half which is silly but whatcha gonna do. Not sure if it can be fixed, sure would be nice if it was.

I decided to look at it as if I'm interrupting my mount in the middle of a nice nap and it takes it a sec. or two to throw on some nicer clothes.

  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

15 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

When I mount up, I'm often sitting submerged partway in the ground until I instantly teleport forward to the spot I should have reached on the mount during that time.

 

 

My favorite is when mounting up and my mount turns 90 degrees from the direction I was currently running and I plummet to my death or my mounts death.  Never had it happen in the air though, maybe only my ground mounts are just suicidal. 

 

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MikeG.6389 said:

My immersion breaks much more when the game gives me control of my character while the map is still loading... Especially visible in Lion's Arch or Divinity's Reach during Wintersday.

It’s kinda fun and terrifying to run around on air for a few seconds. I have been downed before in my impatience after hurling myself off a drop I couldn’t see because the terrain hadn’t rendered yet.

More often I’ve run into obstacles and I wonder what other players think of me running into architecture if they notice.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2022 at 11:33 PM, Ariurotl.3718 said:

It's such a tiny thing but I'm very disproportionately annoyed by it: when you use a Gemstore mount skin (especially a relatively elaborate and different one, like the Goat Springer or the new Roboskyscale) and you haven't mounted for a while, the next time you do mount, the default mount skin shows up for a split second before your custom skin loads up. Somehow that breaks my immersion in half which is silly but whatcha gonna do. Not sure if it can be fixed, sure would be nice if it was.

This seems related to the mount bug where-

On 1/10/2022 at 11:27 AM, Gibson.4036 said:

When I mount up, I'm often sitting submerged partway in the ground until I instantly teleport forward to the spot I should have reached on the mount during that time.

This happens on my potato-powered laptop and my decently powerful desktop. 🤷‍♂️

Wish that could be fixed, too.

........beat me to it.

23 hours ago, Kaliwenda.3428 said:

I decided to look at it as if I'm interrupting my mount in the middle of a nice nap and it takes it a sec. or two to throw on some nicer clothes.

They're probably grumbling at you too.  Like seriously, you used to walk places.  Why can't you just walk anymore?  I was having a good dream too.

15 hours ago, RedDawnsHaze.5940 said:

My favorite is when mounting up and my mount turns 90 degrees from the direction I was currently running and I plummet to my death or my mounts death.  Never had it happen in the air though, maybe only my ground mounts are just suicidal. 

For you it's odd in-game behavior.  For me, it's no different than how I normally "drive" in the world of GW2.  The guy flying off to his death every 5 seconds?  Yep, that's me.

15 hours ago, MikeG.6389 said:

My immersion breaks much more when the game gives me control of my character while the map is still loading... Especially visible in Lion's Arch or Divinity's Reach during Wintersday.

To keep immersion, just blame mesmers.  Next time, in Divinity's Reach, just yell

"WTF Queen Jennah!  Look, we get it, you're an all powerful mesmer.  Just because you're the queen doesn't mean you can just screw with the people like this!"

Then get arrested by the Seraph like the rest of us disgruntled pact commanders.

9 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

More often I’ve run into obstacles and I wonder what other players think of me running into architecture if they notice.

They report you for botting then post on the forums about how they spotted another bot and complain about afk farming.

 

  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2022 at 12:27 AM, Gibson.4036 said:

When I mount up, I'm often sitting submerged partway in the ground until I instantly teleport forward to the spot I should have reached on the mount during that time.

This happens on my potato-powered laptop and my decently powerful desktop. 🤷‍♂️

Wish that could be fixed, too.

this only for now can be fixed by buying a skin

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, RedDawnsHaze.5940 said:

 

 

 

My favorite is when mounting up and my mount turns 90 degrees from the direction I was currently running and I plummet to my death or my mounts death.  Never had it happen in the air though, maybe only my ground mounts are just suicidal. 

 

Turn off Autotargetting and Melee Attack Assist. They should never be enabled anyway, but they do especially weird things to mounts around enemies because mount summoning is a skill (just like gathering, etc.).

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Rogue.8235 said:

 

For you it's odd in-game behavior.  For me, it's no different than how I normally "drive" in the world of GW2.  The guy flying off to his death every 5 seconds?  Yep, that's me.

Ever since my son got his roller beetle, it's his go to mount. No matter how complicated the terrain. No matter the sheer drops on every side. So you've got company there.

Now I'm smiling remembering shortly after I got my beetle and I accidentally boosted off the top of Rata Sum. Ended up in Asura jail.

Turns out they take things like that very seriously.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2022 at 6:57 PM, Rogue.8235 said:

They report you for botting then post on the forums about how they spotted another bot and complain about afk farming.

Not gonna lie, I actually got a PM asking if I was a bot when I went flying off a cliff into a wall the other day.  I thought about saying "Why, yes!  Yes I am," but figured it'd be a better life lesson just to admit I was mapping while driving.

  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Ever since my son got his roller beetle, it's his go to mount. No matter how complicated the terrain. No matter the sheer drops on every side. So you've got company there.

Now I'm smiling remembering shortly after I got my beetle and I accidentally boosted off the top of Rata Sum. Ended up in Asura jail.

Turns out they take things like that very seriously.

Wow, jailed for speeding in Rata Sum... I'm guessing that wasn't a first offense? 😜

Try slowing down you speed demon!! There's innocent golems walking around Rata Sum!  Oh , the little football head guys?  Nah, you can run 'em over.  It's the golems that are expensive to replace!

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Lyssia.4637 said:

Not gonna lie, I actually got a PM asking if I was a bot when I went flying off a cliff into a wall the other day.  I thought about saying "Why, yes!  Yes I am," but figured it'd be a better life lesson just to admit I was mapping while driving.

What you were tempted to do is what I like to call the the reverse turing test.

The Turing test is essentially a test of synthetic intelligence and it's ability to mimic/exemplify organic behavior.  Passing the test means that no one was able to suspect the synthetic intelligence of being fake.

 

The reverse Turing test is to carry a conversation to see if they are dim-witted enough to believe you, organic intelligence, is actually a bot, synthetic intelligence.

 

I have convinced many a player that I'm actually a bot that is just below the level of sapient self-awareness.  I have complex algorithms that allow me to immediately self-modify to defeat ArenaNet's bot-prevention systems!  That is why my creator can AFK farm with the effectiveness and dynamic ability of the average GW2 player!  It's the evolution of afk farming.  We bots don't statically occupy a single 3-axis coordinate but run scripted routes with embedded en tropic generation to give the illusion of average-player-like behavior.

Now that I have revealed myself, I am instructed to self terminate in 3... 2... 1..-

 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Ever since my son got his roller beetle, it's his go to mount. No matter how complicated the terrain. No matter the sheer drops on every side. So you've got company there.

Now I'm smiling remembering shortly after I got my beetle and I accidentally boosted off the top of Rata Sum. Ended up in Asura jail.

Turns out they take things like that very seriously.

I remember the day gliding was enabled outside of HoT maps. That jail suddenly became the busiest location in the city. 😄

Incidentally the worst part for me isn't even GW2. It's other games where I throw myself off cliffs and have just enough time to remember this game doesn't have flying mounts or gliders before I plummet to my death.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I remember the day gliding was enabled outside of HoT maps. That jail suddenly became the busiest location in the city. 😄

Incidentally the worst part for me isn't even GW2. It's other games where I throw myself off cliffs and have just enough time to remember this game doesn't have flying mounts or gliders before I plummet to my death.

 

I totally had that problem playing one of the recent Tomb Raider games! A lot of the gameplay specifically revolves around figuring out how to get between places with big drops between, and it took me a bit to get over the impulse to just jump and glide.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I remember the day gliding was enabled outside of HoT maps. That jail suddenly became the busiest location in the city. 😄

Incidentally the worst part for me isn't even GW2. It's other games where I throw myself off cliffs and have just enough time to remember this game doesn't have flying mounts or gliders before I plummet to my death.

 

I confess to having done this myself. 

More than once.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you pay close attention, it's not just mount skins.

Often when first porting in to a map, you'll see the "baseline default" outfit for your character's profession before your actual outfit pops in.

I suspect that this is probably done for numerous technical reasons, and can't be easily fixed at this point. They could extend load time so that all skins are correctly loaded before the load finishes, but I suspect most players wouldn't appreciate increased load times.

 

I also suspect that this is the way skins work in order to better accommodate people playing on low-spec hardware , or as a way for the game to cope in scenarios with a lot of skins all on screen at the same time, such as WvW.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...