Has ANET ever mentioned anything about wanting to revitalize Jewelcrafting?

Ellye.9123

Jewelcrafting sits in a really odd position compared to other professions, as it's probably been mentioned a thousand times around here already, since you can't craft Ascended Trinkets with it.

I haven't followed news and blog posts and such; but a search yielded nothing, so I suspect the answer for my question is "no". Still, worth asking, I guess.

Edited by Ellye.9123
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• Ellye.9123 changed the title to Has ANET ever mentioned anything about wanting to revitalize Jewelcrafting?

As far as I know the plan was to work on jewelcrafting after adding cooking 500.
Either their priorities changed or they figured they don't have anything significant enough to add to the discipline with cheap LW trinkets and lege armory around.
But yeah, they often change their plans so you never know.

• Like 1

I think that main issue is that there is nothing meaningful to add. Players get showered with free laurels and the LS maps are incredibly easy to do. You can do them on multiple characters, so if you really need an ascended trinket you can probably get one in under an hour of gamplay just using map resources (basically for free).

The legendary amulet is incredibly easy to get as well. In most cases you need to replay each story, gather 50 times and do the meta event of the map. This takes roughly an hour per zone (espeically if you are replaying it and skip all dialogs etc). It can be a little annyoing but after about 20 hours of gameplay you get a legendary neck that you can use on all of your characters thanks to the armory. Also, completing the return achievments rewards you with 250 of each map currency, so in the end not only you get the amulet, but enough currency to buy a few ascended rings and trinkets. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

Now that I think about it, jewelry crafting does seem to be a dead end profession.  Fractal rings, and laurel trinkets, and even festival ascended trinkets seem to make it redundant.  Even if you could use jewelry crafting to make upgrade components with interesting stat combinations, ascended jewelry only has infusion slots.  There is no need to have Jewelry crafting deal with infusions because the fractal cat-bots convert infusions already.

Still, I did have fun with Jewelry crafting before I obtained ascended jewelry and accessories.  I guess I just like the idea of gemstones.

• Like 1

Jewelcrafting is the only crafting that can't craft ascended, and is only wanted for some niche items to give it some relevance. It doesn't help that exotic rings and amulets are the worst things for value to craft since they are essentially handed out. Heck, back then I would buy yellow 80 rings that were cheap because I know they'd be replaced by ascended. And on my alt account that's like 2 months old, the exotic 78 rings had a lifespan of about a week.

With so many sources of ascended trinkets, it doesn't seem needed to have jewelcrafter 500. But I guess we still could, for Vanilla players and people that don't have Living Story.

We could also have a level 80 generic ascended backpiece too.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Raskol.3014 said:

Is it profitable? Is JC profitable in any way?

Grow lamps for people working on Mawdry, though price has dropped.  Glass mugs for guild halls.  Random things like that.  

I'd love to see being able to craft something ascended at least, and perhaps something fun like a watchwork mini pet or a cool back. 

Think only thing I've used it for recently is orichalcum filigree for working on Vision.

• Like 3

When there were hopes for player housing in EoD, I though ANet might use Jeweller fro that (in conjunction with Scribe), or that you could make a "jewelled bowl" for more cooking stuff etc. Adding a "chromatic pommel" could have been an idea to give weapons a dye channel.

Right now, it is really not useful for anything except some niche collection crafting.

On 1/10/2022 at 9:25 PM, Malice.5867 said:

I think that main issue is that there is nothing meaningful to add. Players get showered with free laurels and the LS maps are incredibly easy to do. You can do them on multiple characters, so if you really need an ascended trinket you can probably get one in under an hour of gamplay just using map resources (basically for free).

The legendary amulet is incredibly easy to get as well. In most cases you need to replay each story, gather 50 times and do the meta event of the map. This takes roughly an hour per zone (espeically if you are replaying it and skip all dialogs etc). It can be a little annyoing but after about 20 hours of gameplay you get a legendary neck that you can use on all of your characters thanks to the armory. Also, completing the return achievments rewards you with 250 of each map currency, so in the end not only you get the amulet, but enough currency to buy a few ascended rings and trinkets. 

I wouldn't say that at all, if you started now the legendary amulet is something that is going to take weeks, maybe months to complete, it could take longer to complete then crafting a legendary would  take. The Jumping puzzles especially are alone multiple hours of work unless you find someone to teleport you through all of them. And the story itself contains a lot of unskippable scenes with takes many, many more hours. Plus of course, even doing the meta on some maps may take days and days as some maps may be empty, looking at you Living world 4 episode 1. Not to mention you need every single living world unlocked. 

So, they could add another avenue through Jewelcrafting quite easily, and really should have added in asc, as if you do not have living world 3 unlocked then they are a lot harder to get. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

On 1/10/2022 at 11:20 AM, Ellye.9123 said:

Has ANET ever mentioned anything about wanting to revitalize Jewelcrafting?

Yes, they mentioned that "Jeweler will be next" when the maximum level for Cook was increased to 500.

Since we could see in the preview live stream that the Jeweler station at Arborstone in EoD was unlocked at Mastery Level 2 and placed at a very convenient location (next to Cook, which will likely get new, additional recipes/uses due to Fishing), I think it is safe to assume that said Jeweler update will happen with End of Dragons.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Yes, they mentioned that "Jeweler will be next" when the maximum level for Cook was increased to 500.

Since we could see in the preview live stream that the Jeweler station at Arborstone in EoD was unlocked at Mastery Level 2 and placed at a very convenient location (next to Cook, which will likely get new, additional recipes/uses due to Fishing), I think it is safe to assume that said Jeweler update will happen with End of Dragons.

Someone has to craft the lures for fishing....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Gorem.8104 said:

I wouldn't say that at all, if you started now the legendary amulet is something that is going to take weeks, maybe months to complete, it could take longer to complete then crafting a legendary would  take.

That is just plain wrong. If you truly believe this you most likely never crafted a legendary and/or you are playing the game for a couple of hours a week.

As I said most chapters can be replayed within an hour- the vast majority require you to complete the story (15-30 mins of instanced gameplay), gather 50 times (15 mins) and do the meta event of the map (some are like 10mins long others 30, so let's say a 20min average). Even if you are doing everything slower, doing extra events on the side and so on it should not take you more then 2 hours per zone. Assuming that this is the case it should be a total of about 45-50 hours to complete all 23 achievments. After these 45 hours of slow, suboptimal gameplay you will end up with a legendary and enough resources to buy an additional 6 ascended trinkets. The only thing this costs is your time.

The rest of the legendaries cost between 2 and 3k gold and some of them have timegates that require you to wait for weeks (even if you have all other resources). So if you are correct, you should be able to easily farm 2.5k gold in 45 hours?

I don't want to sound rude, but if jumping puzzles take you multiple hours and you can't find or organize a group for a meta event FOR DAYS I really doubt that you have the capabilites of farming that gold.

Edited by Malice.5867
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

On 1/11/2022 at 10:37 AM, Raskol.3014 said:

Is it profitable? Is JC profitable in any way?

Probably not. I haven't checked the prices, but because crafting is so easy, I expect the margin would be small at best and possibly negative. I just upgrade them to deal with excess stock instead of vendoring it.

3 hours ago, Malice.5867 said:

That is just plain wrong. If you truly believe this you most likely never crafted a legendary and/or you are playing the game for a couple of hours a week.

As I said most chapters can be replayed within an hour- the vast majority require you to complete the story (15-30 mins of instanced gameplay), gather 50 times (15 mins) and do the meta event of the map (some are like 10mins long others 30, so let's say a 20min average). Even if you are doing everything slower, doing extra events on the side and so on it should not take you more then 2 hours per zone. Assuming that this is the case it should be a total of about 45-50 hours to complete all 23 achievments. After these 45 hours of slow, suboptimal gameplay you will end up with a legendary and enough resources to buy an additional 6 ascended trinkets. The only thing this costs is your time.

The rest of the legendaries cost between 2 and 3k gold and some of them have timegates that require you to wait for weeks (even if you have all other resources). So if you are correct, you should be able to easily farm 2.5k gold in 45 hours?

I don't want to sound rude, but if jumping puzzles take you multiple hours and you can't find or organize a group for a meta event FOR DAYS I really doubt that you have the capabilites of farming that gold.

In case you don't remember: "Doing extra events on the side" was a requirement for most of these achievements. Usually 20 events with the meta event chain consisting of like 4 or 5 events. The gathering quests usually required 15 plants, 30 ore and 30 wood. On some maps this can not be completed without waiting for nodes to respawn. Also you have to consider that the Return-To achievements are no longer fresh. The maps are less populated, which increases the time needed to complete 20 events further.

I'd say 2 hours for map activities and 30 min for story is more realistic. Add another 30 min going through the daily routine and for most people the gaming day is over.

There are 23 Return-To meta achievements. Even if you complete one each day, it takes almost a month.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, Malice.5867 said:

Bounties? maps that are not populated anymore? When it was their week and everyone got the chapters free sure, it was quick and easy, now is the opposite. The only thing that takes the same time is the story. On the less popular maps the meta's are often not progressed yet alone completed, and you need to complete a lot of events in each zone, again taking longer due to there being a lot less people around. Doing the jumping puzzles again, was a LOT faster when there was thousands of people doing them. 
Also again, what if you don't have everything unlocked? Remember you need them ALL unlocked. Missing one means you can't complete it. So if you started the game now with no living worlds unlocked, you either need to wait months to a year for it to all be free maybe again, or pay thousands of gems. Which is thousands of gold. Both avenues being more expensive and/or time consuming then crafting a new T1 Legend. Even missing the week by a day it was hard to complete some of the meta's. 
Combine that with you not being able to play during prime time, which means even if you try and use your commander tag to get a group doing anything, and still end up failing, some maps just doing a single meta might take a week before a successful one is done when you can play. A single one. I missed the Isle of Istan week by a single day, and to get a successful meta with destroying the boats in time and then beating the boss in time took the entire week of trying the meta multiple times to get people to show up, so even during the excitement It was annoying to complete. 

Don't just assume someone else is wrong without even having proper facts. The fact is, The accessory is hard to get and is something earnt that is not free. And Jewelcrafting could easily fill that gap if they updated it to do so. 

• Confused 2

On 1/11/2022 at 8:32 PM, Ashantara.8731 said:

I have to disagree. If they would bring jeweller to level 500, it would be a feature they would allready promote to increase sales.
It is more likely we'll get more recipes in the 0-400 range.

When they said that jeweler would be next, it was in a time they had very different plans for the course of the game.  They had no plans to release a new expansion, and only to release more content through living world. This was not recieved well and after that they said goodby to MikeZ and brought back Colin to work next to John Taylor as studio director (something that also indicates to me that GW2 is the only game they are working on as there is no more game director, but that as a side note).

I suspect that parts of the fishing gear will be made part of the jeweler range together with artificer. cook will be used in recipes to prepare the caught fish.

• Confused 1

I agree they should do something with it, but I also agree that the obvious improvement of adding level 500 and ascended jewellery  crafting would be fairly pointless because ascended jewellery is already cheap and easy to obtain so it's unlikely to be worth crafting. They could make it similarly cheap, so for example the average player would gather the materials (or gold to buy them) in the same time as waiting for the laurels, but is it really worth staff at Anet spending the time to do that when they could be making something new (or fixing existing systems) instead?

I'm not sure what they could add to it other than that. I think overall it needs to be something which fits the theme of jewellery crafting. I know all the crafts have some random items which don't quite fit but I wouldn't want that to be the main purpose of it.

I like the idea of allowing you to change the stats on ascended trinkets (besides the ones which can already be changed) but again I'm not sure it's worth getting to level 500 and getting the materials when you could just buy a new trinket.

I think it needs something new, a bit like how level 500 cooking added stat combinations and bonuses we didn't already have and more food you can share with other players, but I'm not sure what a good equivalent for jewellery would be.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mercury ranique.2170 said:

It is more likely we'll get more recipes in the 0-400 range.

I don't think so, since I recall a suspicious tone in Ruby's voice when the tour led us past said stations, but hey, we will know in less than a month's time. 😉

Edit: Okay, I might have remembered more than there was to it - here's the bit I was referring to:

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 2