Stop the RP hate

Kinurak.5307

32 minutes ago, Tukaram.8256 said:

I had no idea RP was a problem. I have seen so little of them I find it hard to believe they are an issue. 

It is the same issue as in any place with limited spots. Some metas require the full map collab and even if the impact is minimal watching a group of players enjoying their RPing and not helping can grief other players. 

I do understand RPers position thou, It should not harm other to play a fantasy role in a roleplayer game. However if they join an meta map it would be cool if they could immerse themselves even more and roleplay while helping a bit with the meta/train. 
Most of the other players will find it humorous and help the RPers to immerse more into the situation if they collaborate with the meta somehow.
It's give-take if I may say so. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, anduriell.6280 said:

It is the same issue as in any place with limited spots. Some metas require the full map collab and even if the impact is minimal watching a group of players enjoying their RPing and not helping can grief other players. 

I do understand RPers position thou, It should not harm other to play a fantasy role in a roleplayer game. However if they join an meta map it would be cool if they could immerse themselves even more and roleplay while helping a bit with the meta/train. 
Most of the other players will find it humorous and help the RPers to immerse more into the situation if they collaborate with the meta somehow.
It's give-take if I may say so. 

I mean, you are not wrong.  It would be more considerate if people moved maps, and unfortunately the RPers are visible unlike the people just working hearts and completion.  

But harassment from ‘Tough Guys’ while being humorous that they take themselves that seriously, isn’t cool.  😬

One other advantage to alliances…..  Maybe, just maybe, people choose a ‘WvW guild’ (which may just be their main guild) so they end up on similar ‘worlds’ to allow for same shard inclusion in the open world..

1 hour ago, Sarge shot Grif.6450 said:

if I personally see RPers in an active meta map I'll make sure to park my skyscale right on top of them.

So, just to be clear, if someone isn't doing the meta, you will also stop doing the meta? The critical thinking on display here is astounding.

38 minutes ago, Telgum.6071 said:

I think most people don't dislike roleplayers, but the absurd amount of weird furries on that group and their weird fetish. Most roleplayers being Charr characters is not a coincidence.

Sounds like an opinion based on nothing, tbh. Do you have a 'weird furries & character species' chart you've been curating for the past 9 years? Please share.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5

47 minutes ago, Telgum.6071 said:

I think most people don't dislike roleplayers, but the absurd amount of weird furries on that group and their weird fetish. Most roleplayers being Charr characters is not a coincidence.

Of course the meta argument is just a ridiculous excuse to target you.

Yeah, those and other ERPer types are terrible.  Don't run into them much anymore to be honest, though perhaps that due to my weird hours.

My beloved pet Choya, Renauldo was killed by a portly amateur RPer who was carelessly casting chain lightning and mumbling "lightning bolt" while we were on our evening walk to pick his favorite omnomberries (sniffle).  I couldn't be caught dead RPing like you animals, and will not rest until every one of you is extinguished!

Edited by Borked.6824
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

42 minutes ago, Strider Pj.2193 said:

IOne other advantage to alliances…..  Maybe, just maybe, people choose a ‘WvW guild’ (which may just be their main guild) so they end up on similar ‘worlds’ to allow for same shard inclusion in the open world..

I don't disagree with your opinion but just an small correction.

Megaservers don't work like that, the alliances is only a WvW thing.  Players are grouped by game language and region in PvE .  Going back to separated server is like devolving at this point. 

12 minutes ago, Super Hayes.6890 said:

There is no rule stating anyone not doing the meta must join the meta or leave. The OP is well within their rights to do whatever they were doing before the meta started. It is a waste of time for either side to rant about this but by all means... continue 😒

No one really said that the OP was wrong doing RP while the meta event. It was just stated that it can be annoying having your chat box full of erotic RP while doing meta. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, anduriell.6280 said:

I don't disagree with your opinion but just an small correction.

Megaservers don't work like that, the alliances is only a WvW thing.  Players are grouped by game language and region in PvE .  Going back to separated server is like devolving at this point. 

I’ll correct you again, worlds DOES play a role in shard formation, much like squads, however, it becomes less important the less frequented a map is.

Alliances will create new ‘worlds’.  Every player, regardless of whether they step foot in WvW will be sorted via their WvW guild.  And if one is not selected, they will be sorted as full in for other spaces.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Strider Pj.2193 said:

I’ll correct you again, worlds DOES play a role in shard formation, much like squads, however, it becomes less important the less frequented a map is.
Alliances will create new ‘worlds’.  Every player, regardless of whether they step foot in WvW will be sorted via their WvW guild.  And if one is not selected, they will be sorted as full in for other spaces.  

Well if you are sure about that, why not. 

35 minutes ago, anduriell.6280 said:

Well if you are sure about that, why not. 

Take a look at your ‘world’ during the upcoming WvW alliances beta.  Whether you select a world or not, you will be sorted.  Even if you don’t go into WvW.  

If you look on the page linked, it has some info.  Honestly, there is much more earlier on in the thread, but kitten that is a long thread lol..

Edited by Strider Pj.2193
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sarge shot Grif.6450 said:

If you're doing it in an active meta map you're being a kitten, full stop.

You're also being a kitten if you're doing it in regular chat, make a party or squad so YOU can do it in peace (in appropriate areas) and so others don't have to see it. Until then if I personally see RPers in an active meta map I'll make sure to park my skyscale right on top of them.

It's your short lifespan you're using to sit and stare at your screen my guy, but you do you.

One time, we (my guild) hosted a large-scale RP-PvE event. We had a big group of roleplayers using Drizzlewood as our battlefield and rping in the meta itself. Most PvErs we ran in to? Actually kind of rolled with us. They didn't emote or anything, but they cheered/saluted all the while, charged with us in to battle. Then waved and bid farewell once the battle was over and the loot was gotten.

Whoever those pvers were, you guys are kings. Don't be like Sarge, be a King, enjoy the game.

• Like 11

The map isn't yours.  It's also not theirs, but if you pop into a map that's doing the meta with a tag up and LFG posted, and decide to not do it, you're going to catch flak if you roleplay or not.  Even without a map-wide meta, imagine yourself doing an event with 10 others nearby just doing nothing, but they're quite obviously present as they're writing in chat and, due to their location, are scaling up the event making it more difficult for you and your group.

Harassment isn't okay, but being mindful of others and their enjoyment of the game goes both ways.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

So, just to be clear, if someone isn't doing the meta, you will also stop doing the meta? The critical thinking on display here is astounding.

Sounds like an opinion based on nothing, tbh. Do you have a 'weird furries & character species' chart you've been curating for the past 9 years? Please share.

I think the face reacts says enough. 

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, Sarge shot Grif.6450 said:

You're also being a kitten if you're doing it in regular chat, make a party or squad so YOU can do it in peace (in appropriate areas) and so others don't have to see it. Until then if I personally see RPers in an active meta map I'll make sure to park my skyscale right on top of them.

Hmm, didn't realize roleplaying as map parking enforcer was popular, but here we are.

Although I'd suggest find something better to do with your time, like doing the meta.

I really don't understand how people manage to even notice that stuff; chat in cities is usually filled with irrelevant stuff anyways and I don't even read it 90% of the time. Granted, I did turn emotes off, but that was due to people spamming it in WvW and getting in the way of important info.

But it's your game.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Sarge shot Grif.6450 said:

Have you READ map chat?  RPers use say chat which is localized, not map chat.  You're going to say people are kitten for RPing in say chat? Really?  

If people are RPing somewhere and the meta happens to start, they should just stop and leave because of you?  lol

It's not like RPers are intentionally coming to a map and ruining metas. They're playing the game. There are always people on meta maps not doing metas, are you going to go and park your skyscale over all of them.  I've seen a lot of opinions in this thread, but this is the only one I straight out disagree with.  

• Like 7

On 1/10/2022 at 7:14 PM, Farohna.6247 said:

There's more afk people sitting at a waypoint than that.

That hits home.  I, sadly, am guilty of this from time to time. 🤫

23 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

You'll get psychotic players in every corner of the game, unfortunately, but make use of your block list and keep enjoying GuildWars2 in spite of them. I'll take a handful of RPers on a map over multiboxing autofarmers any day.

ugh.... guilty of this too.  Sometimes I try to stand up for Skritt rights and yell at people not to kill the innocent little guys.  But noooooo people have to keep slaughtering them because "omg they're killing me I have to fight back"..... look, hacking at you with a sword and throwing broken bottles at you are just customary Skritt greetings.  It's just a misunderstanding is all.  

But sure, I'm the psychotic one.

what?...

21 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

There are always people on maps when meta events happen that don't participate. Always. And there aren't usually 20 RPers either.. Usually it would be a few people.  Maybe the same number of people who are doing map complete, or doing hero points or dailies, or mastery points, or whatever.

I'm often on an AB meta map when it's going on and not doing the meta.  Should I leave? Where should I go?  Almost every map from HOT on had metas, even Dry Top and Silverwastes before. Should everyone have to do the meta because the meta is up? Sorry but that's not the rules of the game, and as players we don't get to make up rules.  When people pay for my game, they can tell me how to play.

This is objectively and absolutely false.  If I can't see the other players, they don't exist!  Or so I've heard.

16 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

I have like never seen a meta fail because there was RP; I mean sometimes people may joke about it, but in the case where it's serious, it's just looking for something to blame.

And if you were to find something to blame, in most cases, it's the 20 people lying dead and refusing to WP that are a far more common detriment.

Great, blame the flash mob.  Actually yeah, I can get behind this.

13 hours ago, Sarge shot Grif.6450 said:

Exactly, this is a single player game!  No one should interfere with this player's gaming experience by enjoying the game as designed!  There's in-game emotes and customization options that have nothing to do with combat mechanics, but those aren't part of the real game!  How dare you play the game within eyesight of the real players!

Too much?  Oh yeah forgot the /s.

13 hours ago, TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

Meta events are optional, no? Just like everything else in-game? I can be in a map with a meta event going and just be taking screenshots or dancing if that's what I want to do. Same for roleplayers, they can do their thing 😄 

Meta events actually aren't optional.  Have you heard from the players that never have done meta events ever?  Of course not, they're dead!!!!

This game is serious, life or death stuff, y'know.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

Can't tell if you're being serious or just trying to be funny 😄 

we call that Poe's Law!  😜

definitely kidding.  Killing your customers is never a sustainable business model! >_>

re-read what you quoted, but in John Oliver's voice with his delivery.  Then you'll get it!

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 1/12/2022 at 11:07 AM, Rogue.8235 said:

ugh.... guilty of this too.  Sometimes I try to stand up for Skritt rights and yell at people not to kill the innocent little guys.  But noooooo people have to keep slaughtering them because "omg they're killing me I have to fight back"..... look, hacking at you with a sword and throwing broken bottles at you are just customary Skritt greetings.  It's just a misunderstanding is all.  

But sure, I'm the psychotic one.

what?...

Back in my Ultima Online days I would stand by the bank working my crafting skills.  I had a macro to automate it (legal if you not AFK).  As the macro ran I would be rather bored. So I would have my avatar engage with people's avatars at the bank and ask them if they ever felt like they were not in control of their life? Maybe like there was someone pushing buttons to make us do things?    At other times I would ~sing~ songs about the joy and excitement of working my crafting skills.  For some reason people would shy away from me. I suppose they were not fans of philosophy or music. 

Strangers thought I was weird. My friends know that I am. 😎  

RP is what MMORPGs are supposed to be about. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2