What is the most annoying profession to duel? (PvP)

Vinny.7260

Most Dreadful Professions To Duel  

88 members have voted

1. 1. What do you not enjoy dueling?

2. 2. Why do you dislike fighting this?

• Way too tanky
    • Difficult to understand
    • Hard to catch
    • Impossible to hit
    • Way too slow

Just to clarify why I vote thief, I do it mostly out of wvw perspective. Not that dueling thief in spvp is that much different, but there it actually has a job to do and its not to spend 2 min dueling you just to kill you eventually.

Thiefs ability to engage and disengage as many times as its necessary to kill you is just tiresome.

• Like 9
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I don't particularly dislike fighting anything right now, for any of the reasons posted. I've had fights I enjoyed on every class currently. 

I'd venture ranger if I needed to make a decision, but it isn't for any of the reasons listed above. It's mostly because they have a built in counter to their counter in the form of pets that can chase you out from behind pillars/LoS, so that's more along the lines of [obnoxious/low counterplay], and I'm hesitant to venture even that since they trade a lot of teamfight presence for that. Other than that, it more hinges on how obnoxious the player on the class is with their build than the class themselves. I've fought good/pleasant to fight thieves and necros and annoying/soul-draining to fight warriors and eles.

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thief. And that's only because of the FFA arena. Dueling a thief in a conquest match is like the exact polar opposite of bad. That's actually really good.

In the FFA arena; and I don't know if this happens to anyone else, I assume it does. But after a thief exits stealth sometimes their position desyncs and that can sometimes lead to skills being wasted. 

The problem is amplified by teefs that stealth constantly.

Throw in blind spam and the ability to indefinitely kite anyone without range. 

The end result is usually camping behind pillars until you actually get a chance to pin them down, or until they get bored and abandon the duel.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

It just feels bad when you cannot stomp ranger because you ran out of stun breaks/stability during the fight and the pet is whooping your a$$ with couple k dmg per hit. Then you disengage from the corpse (heh) and realise the pet healed them to full health in the meantime. So you kite a bit to regain cool downs but again - the pet gets you behind walls and if your not behind walls the ranger pew pews you at range.

It is just stupid, of course a pro player can counter that, but the very presence of this mechanic is just unfair

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Its different based on game mode.

in sPvP, its Necro because they are hard to hurt with all the condition spamming. 

in WvW, its Ranger  because most of the you are engaged on first and can lose a good chunk of your life bar before the duel starts.  Its more prevalent in WvW because of how large and open the maps are compared to a sPvP arena. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

right now i'd say flamethrower engi,

there are worse things to duel like a pro ele, but you don't come across many of them.

flamethrower engi has high damage, high sustain, perma stab and its so god kitten easy to play that they are everywhere.

so i'd say they are consistently the most annoying, most other builds depend on the skill of the person using it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

• Vinny.7260 changed the title to What is the most annoying profession to duel? (PvP)

I think the most annoying for me are elementalist and mesmer for similar reasons. I do not find them fun to fight, it takes a very long time (which usually goes in their favor) and I just do not feel like my actions have an impact on the fight.

Some of the most frustrating fights for me are probably professions people do not usually expect in 1V1. Thief certainly fits this category but revenant is the one which gave me the most issues for the past few seasons. 

Then it becomes more build dependent. 

Edit : What did you mean by "way too slow"? It looks similar to "way too tanky / impossible to hit".

Edited by aymnad.9023

Ranger is broke atm.

Traps deal massive dmg, even if you are not engaged with the ranger.

Pet passive dmg is crazy high. Jacaranda lighting strikes hitting for 3-6k on a condi build with immob.

Soul Beast power spike and LOS basically ignored.

But I'll keep playing it because anet wont do anything about it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I lean in between Ranger and Thief, but Ranger pets are such a random factor that I would put it above.

Ranger has low CD stunbreaks with a strong defensive rotation and safe re-engage. Some pets still have broken skills.

Thief has forgiving utility, mostly blind duration. The counterplay to it is spamming back which is not something everyone can do. Mostly a Warrior weakness because they have nothing to that can indirectly remove the blind which is why the blind duration is so annoying.

Edited by Shao.7236
  • Like 3

I think this is a loaded poll to be honest because this entirely depends on matchup/build. Where I might absolutely HATE fighting d/p daredevil on warrior, it becomes almost a non-issue on sic'em soulbeast. What I don't think people consider a lot is how matchup effects the difficulty of a fight. 

If you were to push me on the question though and say "generally across all professions and builds" I guess it would have to be D/P Daredevil and/or fire weaver. Even if I won't die to them, if they're good, they wont die either. If we're considering that they're as good or better than me then this can lead to me being unable to ignore them and I'm kind of stuck in an infinite duel. In such a case I can't even afford to abandon the duel because as soon as I do they will capitalize on this and down me,  follow me to where I'm going, or decap then rotate to me.  Can't rotate, can't help the team fights, I'm just stuck fighting this person for all eternity and at the mercy of my team to win the match. 

Edited by Zexanima.7851
  • Like 1

I'm surprised people struggle with thief. You can't kill them but you automatically win point and cant be killed so it doesn't matter. I'd say trapper guard and trapper druid are much more annoying because they have their entire class kit on top of invis disjoints which certain classes cant deal with. 

Soulbeast is trash, you can literally see when sic em is active and just iframe spam its not even hard. The buff is active on their HUD when they use it. Trapper druid is much worse. 

I think people are playing core guard healer as a bunker when it's not a bunker, its just a healer, and they insta lose a lot of duels for no reason. 

Edited by Dusty.6084
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 1/12/2022 at 7:03 PM, Bear.9568 said:

Ranger is broke atm.

Traps deal massive dmg, even if you are not engaged with the ranger.

Pet passive dmg is crazy high. Jacaranda lighting strikes hitting for 3-6k on a condi build with immob.

Soul Beast power spike and LOS basically ignored.

But I'll keep playing it because anet wont do anything about it.

you dont have to walk into traps, you can dodge through the side of them to trigger them without being hit, you can also time it to dodge both trap and ranger/pet attack to trade 2 for 1.
If you are really good you can also walk to a trap to trigger it in a way it wont even hit you ( but its hard to do )
Also how does soul beast power spike ignore Los?
there is like 2 skills that can hit anything, one being barrage and another being the condi bird screech thing.

26 minutes ago, Dusty.6084 said:

I'm surprised people struggle with thief. You can't kill them but you automatically win point and cant be killed so it doesn't matter. I'd say trapper guard and trapper druid are much more annoying because they have their entire class kit on top of invis disjoints which certain classes cant deal with. 

Soulbeast is trash, you can literally see when sic em is active and just iframe spam its not even hard. The buff is active on their HUD when they use it. Trapper druid is much worse. 

I think people are playing core guard healer as a bunker when it's not a bunker, its just a healer, and they insta lose a lot of duels for no reason. 

I think you miss the point of why thief is annoying in a duel, which usually means fighting over a side node. If it was as simple has capping the point against thief and being on your merry way then you'd have a point, but it's not. The annoying aspect is that if they can't kill you they're going to make you spend half the game re-capping. They'll usually be able to rotate much faster than you so if you take your node and go assist in the team fight they'll be able to decap and assist in the team fight as well. Due to their mobility this will allow them to support their team by decaping which will either A) Slow your point gain or B) Remove you from the team fight to go recap. While not only decapping constantly they'll have more team fight presence than you over the course of the game from their mobility. As thief I've sat in stealth, waited for them to get partway to mid, decapped, then managed to show up to mid virtually the same time they did (maybe 1-2 seconds behind.) They were faced with the choice of turning around and recapping, having made them waste their time and lose a few points while I then rotate to help mid and outnumber or have them commit to mid and losing points all the while making them gamble on winning the team fight fast enough they don't lose too many points. 

So you're either going to sit on the node all game and be useless to your team while the thief comes and checks in on you now and then between team fights to make sure you're a good little side noder or play cat and mouse with the thief while he is still able to provide more value than you from his mobility. Granted, this is not always the tactic they take and it will not always win the game but this is just an example of why a thief to me is the "most dreadful profession to duel" because they can beat you by not even fighting you directly. When you can't kill another duelist but you're winning point, you win because you have point AND you're taking them out of the team fight. If you can't kill a thief but "win" point, you don't necessarily "win" point and they can keep you out of the team fight by forcing you to recap or guard node but still keep up more team fight presence than you through their mobility. 

I want to reiterate, this not me saying thief is op, unbeatable, or always wins or something.  I'm also  not saying this happens every single game as there are a lot more factors that go into this. This is just why I find them the most annoying to be up against when my role is to side node/duel. Plus blind/daze spam is just obnoxious. 

• Like 1