Utilities reordering themselves bug

Jugglemonkey.8741

6 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

So far, it looks like Arenanet is not going to bother and try fixing it.

It's been over a year since the bug came to be.

As sad as it may sound, you are better off starting to play with the default order than hoping it'll ever get fixed.

That is disappointing tbh. Ive played thief with roll for initiative in my third utility slot for years, so i moved the shiro stunbreak to that slot since it's a similar skill, i do the same with lightning reflexes on ranger when i use that skill. Having it rearrange randomly to the first utility skill is just jarring, and it's just plain bad to have to break muscle memory built up on my main to accommodate this bug.  

10 hours ago, Jthug.9506 said:

I can’t blame them for not devoting engineering time to this while EoD is in final development. However it would be good to see it fixed in the next year.

They haven't "devoted" resources to fixing things well before EoD was announced, so EoD doesn't qualify as an excuse for not fixing things.

It's been this way for many years now. There are many broken things they've not even tried touching (as far as they told us).

Edited by Fueki.4753

Is a FEATURE. Has been discussed for years, along threads and threads. The programmers currently at work in ANet aren't the ones which designed the class and the way in which the skills works (with only 3 predetermined utility skills x legend instead of 4 to chose 3 from as in the rest of classes) is probably what causes the bug:

The problem is: to fix this you probably need to redo the Revenat code entirely and add the skills in the same way as the other 8 classes. This could  potentially cause new bugs with each skill and trait and mechanic, and probably is so vasty time and money consuming to do that ANet just chose to ignore.

So yeah, Revenant players are second grade citizens in this game. Don't pay money for extra gear or templates in Revenant characters since they won't work as expected and ANet won't provide you neither a fix nor a compensation for selling you a faulty product.

Edited by Buran.3796

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Jthug.9506 said:

This seems a bit polyanna, I am aware of the bug, I just am in the habit of checking the order any time I enter a map. I still have faith that this will be fixed eventually.

Yeah, feeling as a second class citizen is a second nature for Rev mainers. Is not like we paid for the game or is their work to fix it or something.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, zaswer.5246 said:

they could just like... make a couple reworks on rev overall and fix its bugs but you know, why bother?

If they start fixing bugs, Revenant utilities should be near the bottom of that list.

Unlike other bugs that literally break content (like all those events that literally cannot be done, if they bug out), the utilities resetting to the default order doesn't do any real harm to the game.

• Confused 4

45 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

If they start fixing bugs, Revenant utilities should be near the bottom of that list.

Unlike other bugs that literally break content (like all those events that literally cannot be done, if they bug out), the utilities resetting to the default order doesn't do any real harm to the game.

On the contrary, revenant mains (and players) have had to deal with this annoying/infuriating issue for 2+ years.  I play the game extensively in all content and I encounter this bug far, far more often than I encounter the other “game breaking” bugs that you’re referring to.  Frequency of a bug’s occurrence and the overall user experience are just as important as fixing broken events. 

Also it’s unlikely the team working on bug fixing events is the same team working to bug fix profession skills.  And if you’re paying attention you’ll notice they do bug fix both profession skills AND events/etc. simultaneously; this doesn’t have to be an “either/or” type scenario 

Edited by LucianTheAngelic.7054

1 hour ago, Fueki.4753 said:

if i enter a raid fractal pvp or whatever and my skills reset or my traits dissapear i just loose time fixing it, or just loose the match raid etc, its a comon bug of one of the playable clases and its pretty much one of the most important ones, i dont see guardians or other clases loosing skills, traits or playing handicapped nearly half as much

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

other thing,  if this bug is because of how rev is designed ( having fixed skills and so on) they could give us 4 skills per legend and let us choose wich legend and wich skills to use in each legend, if anyone thinks thad be broken please, first play the game and then go cry to your bed, rev has much less skill choice than others and we dont have 2 skill bars we have 2 skills in each legend that are usefull in each game mode, we end up needing to swap legends to do the same as other with one skillbar, at least recognice thst is not an advantage

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

When happens in WvW  and I won't notice it until I'm in a fight it usually ends killing me and puts me in a bad mood, but at least I can swap the order after the respawn.

When happens in PvP and the match already started it can't be changed until the end of the match, which usually means that MY TEAM will lose the fight, because after the first wipe my thought process will be "yeah, I can't even play this way..." so I give up and the match collapses.

So yeah, really doesn't hurt the game: only four random guys which probably entered by mistake in PvP and had the bad luck to have a Revenant asigned to their team. Probably their fault for using GW2 for PvP.

Then people moan about PvP being "toxic" due players while the developers had a game breaking bug trampling across a class for five years doing nothing to fix it.

7 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Eh, when your buttons start to do different things than what you have them set to do, I'd say that is pretty serious. The bug is extremely frustrating for those moments when you don't realize it happened until you're already in combat when muscle memory kicks in and you're accidently porting into enemies instead of trying to riposte away from them. When a bug is the reason you lose a fight, yes I would consider that that be a big enough priority.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Za Shaloc.3908 said:

Eh, when your buttons start to do different things than what you have them set to do, I'd say that is pretty serious. The bug is extremely frustrating for those moments when you don't realize it happened until you're already in combat when muscle memory kicks in and you're accidently porting into enemies instead of trying to riposte away from them. When a bug is the reason you lose a fight, yes I would consider that that be a big enough priority.

People know this bug exists, so they can adapt to the default order. Muscle Memory can be unlearned. That takes less effort than having to rearrange them all the time.

But other bugs, like the ones that break events or the boss of Sunqua Peak, can't be adapted to (unless you count "just try on another time").

It ought to be quite obvious to see which one is breaking content and therefore a higher priority. But we know Arenanet is not too keen on allocating resources to fixing things (or even publicly acknowledging that things are broken), so I doubt any of this is getting fixed any time soon.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Confused 4

17 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

People know this bug exists, so they can adapt to the default order. Muscle Memory can be unlearned. That takes less effort than having to rearrange them all the time.

I've already explained this other times, but will do again since is a very simple concept: when I chose skills for a character, I place them in a logical order in the utility bar, which is the same no matter the class and spec. So I put movement skills in the "7", breakstuns or condition cleanses in the "9" and everything else at the "8" and they related hotkeys (since I place mostr of them in the mouse buttons, also).

So, If I'm running a Warrior with Bull's charge, a Guardian with Judge's Intervention, and Engineer with Rocket Boots, an Ele with Lightning Flash or a Mesmer with Blink those skills are always placed in "7", etc. The same  happens with "8" and "9" so albeit some times a skill has more than a function the way in which I play classes doesn't require to constantly re-learn the basics.

But the problem with the "default" utilities of each legend with the Revenant, is that they have 0 coherence: you have the movement skills in Shiro and Mallyx at "8" as default and the breakstuns in "9" but not in Jalis, Glint, Kalla or The Alliance. So essentially all the muscle memory is wasted with the legends.

By the way, I don't buy for a second that the reason ANet doesn't fix the problem is because has low relevance or doesn't break the game too much. On the contrary: my guess is that due they designed the Revenant with only 3 utilities for legend instead of 4 of each kind in the rest of the clases (signets, traps, physical, shouts...) so there's no choice to discard, the way in which the skills were coded in a predefined order is radically different of how the rest of the classes work, and their attempts to redo the work so far have been either unable to fix the bug or so complex that once corrected it produced all kinds of new bugs when interated with the traits and skills. Mind that the main designer of the Revenant class left the company even before PoF was released.

So a recap: the bug has been present for a lustrum, and has been a PITA specially after the introduction of the (monetized) templates. ANet has been on a TOTAL radio silence about the problem all this years, so solving the problem is probably beyond their capabilities/resources avaliable to spent in the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s clearly a big ask for engineering, it’s probably going to be an outsized expense both in money and time. However it absolutely needs fixing, BUT overall I still love rev and am going to make another one with full templates, because the limit is 6 but that’s another story.

I feel this is a terrible weird bug to impose on players. Muscle memory IS real and the point isn't that it can't be unlearned. The point is that we should be able to rely on it to play the game ... JUST like EVERY OTHER CLASS. I mean, think about this ... if you logged into the game and your skills were randomly assigned to new positions ... that's just stupid. That wouldn't be acceptable in ANY game. 

Personally, this bug is a disaster for me, as I ALWAYS setup my main stunbreak in the middle of the bar. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Few days ago i found a way to fight with this bug. I keybinded my templates (equip and build) to NUM buttons and when i change my builds with keybind i just press it few times in a row and utilities swapping to where they have been before. It works all the time so this bug is fixed for me personally.

• Confused 2