Skill rating and matchmaking per profession instead of per account?

TheQuickFox.3826

Overall I'm quite happy with the ranked matchmaking system in GW2 ranked PvP.

Currently for ranked sPvP you get an account-wide skill rating for matchmaking in ranked matches.

I main Elementalist and got a skill rating of around 1200 there. (High silver to low gold)

I'm currently working on my Year of Ascension achievement which requires me to win ranked games with other professions. That's fine but I'm only bronze on those.

Which means that I have t lose around 20 games (estimate) to downgrade to my skill level on those professions to get fair games again and when I'm finished on these other professions I switch back to elly and get a winning spree.

It would be more enjoyable and more fair if player skill rating would be calculated per profession. In this way, I can just play my other professions at my appropriate skill level and save my team mates from annoying losing sprees I have to go to now. (And save the enemy team for the winning spree I will get one when going back to Elly)

Please spare me your 'git gud' type of replies and build checks. I've already picked some recommended builds that should be easy playable but I'm just better on Elly and a bit of a slow learner with the other professions.

Edited by TheQuickFox.3826

It sounds nice, but the necessary side effect of profession specific mmr is that players would have to be disallowed from swapping classes at the start of a match to prevent blatant match manipulation. This would really be annoying for players who are competent on multiple classes yet might get stuck with majorly lopsided team compositions or simply being on a class countered hard by the enemy comp.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

I never understood why switching professions after signing up was allowed anyway.

Cause matchmaking is really poor, so many times ur comp already have a thief and u dont wanna play 2 thieves, sometimes u already have a sup guard, or other comp has a support and u wanna reroll since ur team doesnt have one, etc. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anjo.6143 said:

Cause matchmaking is really poor, so many times ur comp already have a thief and u dont wanna play 2 thieves, sometimes u already have a sup guard, or other comp has a support and u wanna reroll since ur team doesnt have one, etc. 

Stop that hypocrisis. 99% of class switching are based on enemy team comp rather than your own team comp.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Overall I'm quite happy with the ranked matchmaking system in GW2 ranked PvP.

Currently for ranked sPvP you get an account-wide skill rating for matchmaking in ranked matches.

I main Elementalist and got a skill rating of around 1200 there. (High silver to low gold)

I'm currently working on my Year of Ascension achievement which requires me to win ranked games with other professions. That's fine but I'm only bronze on those.

Which means that I have t lose around 20 games (estimate) to downgrade to my skill level on those professions to get fair games again and when I'm finished on these other professions I switch back to elly and get a winning spree.

It would be more enjoyable and more fair if player skill rating would be calculated per profession. In this way, I can just play my other professions at my appropriate skill level and save my team mates from annoying losing sprees I have to go to now. (And save the enemy team for the winning spree I will get one when going back to Elly)

Please spare me your 'git gud' type of replies and build checks. I've already picked some recommended builds that should be easy playable but I'm just better on Elly and a bit of a slow learner with the other professions.

Just you saying you're playing ele tells me exactly nothing about what you're doing in ranked. Maybe you are an LR-weaver rolling over classes without stability. Maybe you're an aurashare tempest supporting the teamfight. Maybe you're condi sword weaver dueling for the sidenodes. Maybe you're a meme core FA ele oneshotting targets and running away...

A class does not restrict you to any roles anymore. And I'm pretty sure you're not equally good at all those builds I just listed. And the thing is, even if you lock your build for yourself for the entire season, your teammates/enemies won't. If you get a "burnguard main" trying to play support for the first time, you'll still have a bad time and lose because of your teammates experiment. My point is: assigning a rating to each class is pointless.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

Ranked isn't determined by personal skill anyway. You can play like a newbie or like a god and your team will still lose because you're only 20 %of the equation and that's usually not enough to win alone.

20% is high enough. If you can maintain 60% winrate you'll end up in plat2-plat3.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

Ranked isn't determined by personal skill anyway. You can play like a newbie or like a god and your team will still lose because you're only 20 %of the equation and that's usually not enough to win alone.

The best way to learn is under pressure.

Yes but it doesn't work like that. You have to take a sample of like 100 games, if you're playing like a God in 90% of them you'll climb no matter what. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Eugchriss.2046 said:

Stop that hypocrisis. 99% of class switching are based on enemy team comp rather than your own team comp.

Thats pretty wrong, atleast personally i can change builds for what im fighting i have to change  professions classes for my team.

Like if im on mirage and i see a thief i sometimes swap to guardian.
If i'ma thief and see another thief i definitely get of thief.
If im on guardian and i see no sidenoder i swap to thief or mesmer..

I don't think good players see professions as unbeatable they see compositions as unbeatable.

Edited by Genesis.5169