how strong is the commander?

Balsa.3951

The physical strenght of the commander vary depending on the class and race. For the game balance a human warrior will jump as high as a human elementalist (same for running speed) however when you look at what physical achievement a warrior can do, it can be interpreted as the warrior not displaying its full strenght when doing casual run/jump.

Charr and norn would definitely have a hell lot more raw strenght than human, sylvari and asura due to their physical biology. 

Well, strong enough to kill gods and elder dragons, fast enough to outrun a centaur and able to manage all the worlds problems with 2 hours of work every month.

On the other hand, the commander dies often to pocket raptors, veteran mobs or big nose ted and is somehow stil being billed for travel eventhough he/she has a fleet of airships at his/her disposal.

It's a complicated world the commander lives in.

• Like 3
  • Haha 12
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, Balsa.3951 said:

Anyone did the math running speed and jumping and lifting weight?

Without involving magic just physical strength

Stronk enough to do the laundry list of dull tasks Taimi has for you this week. "CommanDURRR"!

Edited by Svarty.8019

12 hours ago, Alcatraznc.3869 said:

Charr and norn would definitely have a hell lot more raw strenght than human, sylvari and asura due to their physical biology

hard to tell cause Sylvari are basically human shaped plants and norn are just big humans, so you can't really judge sylavri strength

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Let's have a look at a fun little bundle: the boulder. It is sold by Aamu in Lornar's Pass, but that's important in the second half of the post. When consumed the bundle gives you a boulder with a diameter of roughly 50 cm. The average density of rock is around 3 g/cm³. This gives the boulder a weight of almost 200 kg. The commander is able to throw this mass over a distance of 900 ft (275 m). This is absolutely super-human strength.

The maximum amount of bagspace a character can have is 320 (10 32-slot bags). The boulders sold by Asmu stack up to 250. So the inventory can hold up to 80000 boulders (Minecraft Steve would be proud) for a total of 16 kt (metric kilo-tonnes). The commander can not only carry that weight, but run a marathon with it completely unhindered!

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, BunjiKugashira.9754 said:

Let's have a look at a fun little bundle: the boulder. It is sold by Aamu in Lornar's Pass, but that's important in the second half of the post. When consumed the bundle gives you a boulder with a diameter of roughly 50 cm. The average density of rock is around 3 g/cm³. This gives the boulder a weight of almost 200 kg. The commander is able to throw this mass over a distance of 900 ft (275 m). This is absolutely super-human strength.

The maximum amount of bagspace a character can have is 320 (10 32-slot bags). The boulders sold by Asmu stack up to 250. So the inventory can hold up to 80000 boulders (Minecraft Steve would be proud) for a total of 16 kt (metric kilo-tonnes). The commander can not only carry that weight, but run a marathon with it completely unhindered!

Two things:
First, I kittenING LOVE your Gungrave reference of a name. Gungrave is one of my top 5 anime of all time.

Second, I did a little more math. The amount of work done by moving that 200kg mass a distance of 275m comes out to 539000 Nm (Joules), but that's only the amount to move it horizontally across the distance of 275. It's actually considerably more than that because you have to include the vertical distance covered by the arc it makes in the air, but that math is a lot more complicated. I'd need to figure out the time from the moment of toss to the moment the boulder hits the ground, and I'd also need to take an estimate of the maximum height (peak of the arc).

Long story short, to answer OPs question about how strong the commander is: 539000 Newton-meters/Joules is a lot. It is basically enough that the commander could pick up a small car off the ground with no trouble. If you consider that 80000 boulders comes out to 784,000 Newtons, and the commander can move around without being weighed down, the citizens of Tyria can literally FEEL us approaching them as we walk around the world because each step is basically a mini localized earthquake.

• Like 6

We run 294 units a second (Out of combat)

A unit (according to the wiki) is one inch.

So we run 16.7 miles per hour. (26,9 kmh)

With Swiftness, that 22,7 mph ( 36,5 kmh)

For thoughness.

In All or nothing, we got send flying by kralk and crashed into a wall.

It took 4 seconds from the starting point to us crashing into the wall.

It takes roughly 110 seconds at crippled speed to get from that point back to the place we started.

My (bad) math says that should be roughly 400m (1300 feet).

So we crashed into a wall with roughly 360kmh / 224 mph.

And we stood up from it and started walking again with most likely broken rips.

Now thats what i call a beast.

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

On 1/11/2022 at 8:03 PM, Balsa.3951 said:

Without involving magic just physical strength

That's the thing. Everything down to the humble dagger is just a channel for magic. If our characters could punch, it would be magical punches for sure. Look, we don't even have a defiance bar and we manage pretty well.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 3:26 AM, Alcatraznc.3869 said:

it can be interpreted as the warrior not displaying its full strenght when doing casual run/jump.

Don't forget that warrior, naturally, wears heavier armor than simple cloth by elementalist (and other light armor classes). 

On 1/12/2022 at 3:26 AM, Alcatraznc.3869 said:

Charr and norn would definitely have a hell lot more raw strenght than human, sylvari and asura due to their physical biology

Interestingly enough, we have different size for weaponry between humans/norn/charr etc. as well as varying animations (see ranger Maul and Swoop for example), showcasing the bigger races' superior strength. Obviously the numbers still follow the same formula across all races.

On 1/12/2022 at 2:12 PM, lokh.2695 said:

Well, strong enough to kill gods and elder dragons, fast enough to outrun a centaur and able to manage all the worlds problems with 2 hours of work every month.

On the other hand, the commander dies often to pocket raptors, veteran mobs or big nose ted and is somehow stil being billed for travel eventhough he/she has a fleet of airships at his/her disposal.

It's a complicated world the commander lives in.

The real reason behind Caudecus' hatred of centaurs was that he couldn't outrun one.

On 1/14/2022 at 5:09 PM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

For thoughness.

It takes roughly 110 seconds at crippled speed to get from that point back to the place we started.

Forum post of the week 

• Like 2

On 1/14/2022 at 6:09 PM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

For thoughness.

Thanks for the calculation. Now that we know the commander's maximum mass and speed, we can calculate his maximum momentum.

16 kt * 36.5 km/h = 1.622 * 10^8 kg*m/s = 1.622 * 10^8 Ns

This is roughly 1.5 to 2 times the approximate momentum of a jumbo jet at top cruising speed. The commander doesn't even have to fight. He just has to run into things.

Edited by BunjiKugashira.9754
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

A Norn Guardian is probably the most terrifying thing to face in a pure physical fight, even for Warriors, you have someone that's strong enough to probably take a Human or Charr head clean off with one punch, all while having formidable defenses (even if they can't use most of their magic in a pure physical fight). Tyria's Secret Fight Club Society is probably dominated by Norn Guardians and Warriors.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

there is a lot of things the Commander can do if he/she was not limited to the given skills and the Core/Elite Spec mechanics.

For example, the Commander as a Engineer should be able to create and modify both the Kits and Main Weapon skills to different skills through their engineering skills based on ideas they can think about or use ideas from other people who have created certain technologies. 

The Holosmith's holoforge should be able to change up their default 1 attack combo between their holosword and other holoweapons such as holo-rifles, holo-pistols, holo-staff,and etc for different styles of auto attacks through the Engineer modifying the holoforge. 

Mesmers should be able to create more skills and stronger illusions and the most skilled mesmers should be able to make a army of illusion as seen with Anise skills with her mesmer illusions. 

A lot of things should be possible but gameplay wise it is very limited for gameplay sakes.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284

On 1/14/2022 at 12:09 PM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

For thoughness.

As hilarious as this post is, one additional thing to consider is that gameplay-wise, a full day is merely 2 hours for us. From the Battle of Khylo clocktower, we can infer that Tyrians have clocks that function on a variable of 12; and Event Schedule Board in Grothmar tells us that there's an event at 20:00, so it's likely a 24-hour cycle.

Which means gameplay is sped up x12.

So OoC running is 294 units per second in gameplay, would mean running 294 units per 12 seconds in direct association of mechanics->lore; or 24.5 inches per second (so basically 2 feet per second).

Which is 1.3920455 miles per hour.

Which is a much larger difference to consider than I would have thought. 😄 And also slower than the average running speed according to a quick google which says 6-8mph.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

As hilarious as this post is, one additional thing to consider is that gameplay-wise, a full day is merely 2 hours for us. From the Battle of Khylo clocktower, we can infer that Tyrians have clocks that function on a variable of 12; and Event Schedule Board in Grothmar tells us that there's an event at 20:00, so it's likely a 24-hour cycle.

Which means gameplay is sped up x12.

So OoC running is 294 units per second in gameplay, would mean running 294 units per 12 seconds in direct association of mechanics->lore; or 24.5 inches per second (so basically 2 feet per second).

Which is 1.3920455 miles per hour.

Which is a much larger difference to consider than I would have thought. 😄 And also slower than the average running speed according to a quick google which says 6-8mph.

Remember that the game world is compressed by at least 4:1, so its probably closer to 6mph afterall.

Edited by Hannelore.8153

5 hours ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

Remember that the game world is compressed by at least 4:1, so its probably closer to 6mph afterall.

Yeah, I know; though the time-speed difference would also mean accounting for world compression. After all, if it takes us 1 hour to get from Point A to Point B in-game, then by simple direct-conversion of gametime to how long a day is, that's actually taking 12 hours in-lore.

That said, I don't think the canonical difference would be 12x or 4:1; or rather, I don't think that the differences between what we see the game depict, and what is canon lore, is a universal compression (after all, if we were to slow down the animation and dialogue by 12x that's slow as heck actions). We sadly don't have any solid evidence to properly approximate the differences between canon lore and game depiction in each field.