Gw2 is its own worst enemy

Purely anecdotally (but what else do any of us here on the forums have to go on?), I feel like I'm seeing more new players and returning players than I have in a long time.

I've run across many new players in game, and the general vibe I get from talking to them is "I'm so glad I discovered this game".

I've also noticed a significant uptick in forum threads that are started by new players. Admittedly, a good amount of those threads are "why isn't this more lik the MMOs I'm used to?" posts, so they may not say great things about retention, but the game is getting new players. And a few of those players who start a rant thread actually end up sounding like they are jumping back in to give the game another try by the time several helpful players respond with advice or explanations about the game.

As I said, anecdote. And I've seen the "my friends won't come try this game no matter how much I try to get them to" posts, so people can throw anecdotes on the other side of the scales.

But my perception is that we actually have had an influx of new players recently.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Side note, the thread title doesn't seem to reflect the OP's content. "GW2's Marketing is it's Worst Enemy" would probably be better.

And "Do better" always comes across to me as an incredbily arrogant way to address someone.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

I’ve worked in marketing and promotion for over 20 years and there are many more ways to promote the game without a big budget or buying ads. I know there are already very talented people at Anet doing this work, and doing it well, but to do more would take a commitment from Anet to make it more of a priority. 

• Like 2

On 1/12/2022 at 7:42 AM, Artyport.2084 said:

Ok,

so apparently we are a little over a month away from an expansion.

but you wouldn't even know it.

we have seen only teaser trailers and trailers for zones and class trailers.

All of which were tiny lil snippets that would invite no one new to play this AMAZING game.

Why have you guys not figured this out yet. 

GW2 has:

great combat: but you cannot tell that from the trailer

(also why don't u have an ingame option to choose from tab targeting or action thats obvious so people know it exists!!!

You have been told time and time again you hav the best mounts but No one who doesn't already play the game knows 

now we are a month away (supposedly) from an expansion

still no release date

there isn't anything that compare to a ffxiv trailer, kitten or even and elder scroll trailer.

ive met gw2 players who didn't even know we have an expansion coming out. 

This studios biggest problem is commitment. 
You consistently leave your player base in the dark. If your player base is unaware of the games future so will prospective players.

now dont get me wrong as a person who follows along very closely im excited for eod. But i have to put in the work to be excited because you dont do a good job of keeping us hype with the things you release.

Do better. 

Hey, they are not worse then Kingsisle in Marketing their game :PPPPPP, ye i unfortunately played that game for years.  Marketing the game is important, knowing how bad ArenaNet does their PR why not just fire of all those workers and use the resources for PvP, WvW, larger events ... makes me remember that Upper Echelon video about how we do not fire incompetent developers like we would in other industries. Guess they are lucky i am not big boss, I would have fired the marketing team in 2016.

ArenaNet, go offer the game for free to Asmongold or Prich, or any other large MMO streamers, you are not loosing any profit from giving  away a few hundred PoF codes to MMO players who would not buy your expansion anyway, but at least would get the game into the spot light.

Marketing is not a hard concept, its called go talk to people, show off, do stuff, but what do i know- i only got 15+ years in MMOs as both pvp and pve player, go figure

• Haha 1
  • Confused 6

On 1/13/2022 at 9:01 AM, witcher.3197 said:

Wouldn't say FFXIV is killing GW2 tbh, but it's certainly overshadowing it in the eyes of potential new players coming from WoW, and several new MMOs are on the horizon. Most of the current GW2 audience might be here to stay but an MMO without new players is a dying one. 

I find it problematic to compare FFXIV and GW2 at all, in terms of competing on the same scale. FF just has too many of the basic features that are pretty widespread due to the success of WoW over the years - very standard stuff like highly defined classes with little customization, strong adherence to the trinity, an LFG that actually works and ports people from anywhere, the gear treadmill, etc.

GW2 is very explicitly missing a lot of these somewhat baseline features (at least when it comes to what people expect from a 'standard' MMO experience). To make matters worse, we have weird stuff like LW, which is very much sold and marketed as side/optional content, but actually contains mainline story elements. 

As a result, I think the most damaging thing possible would be to have current GW2 approach the levels of success FFXIV recently enjoyed. There are just too many special features and outright rough edges compared to a much, MUCH more generic title like FF.

All of the above, of course, doesn't take away from your point that an MMO without new players is a dying one. I agree. However, if I had to guess, I feel like GW2 doesn't need quite the volume of new players that other games do in order to survive. Widespread hype was never something GW2 relied on, so clearly a smaller dedicated playerbase has kept the lights on these 9+ years. It might just be the case that this dedication is strong enough to allow GW2 to get away with a much smaller trickle of incoming new players than other titles.

On 1/13/2022 at 9:01 AM, witcher.3197 said:

We needed a strong expansion to get back on track but EoD is just nostalgia bait, so far not even a good one.

Ultimately this is one of my biggest gripes with EoD, best demonstrated by the Untamed spec. It's a nod to the old bunny thumper ranger, but that's all it is - a nod, and empty gesture. They didn't fix or improve pets on a fundamental level at all, aside from giving every single one new generic abilities. I feel like EoD is a whole bears a similar spirit.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 1/13/2022 at 1:15 PM, Gibson.4036 said:

But my perception is that we actually have had an influx of new players recently.

This is also my perception. While I haven't seen anyone new in spvp recently (which is not that surprising), if I'm not queuing ranked I'm doing map completion, which of course literally takes me everywhere in the game. All over Tyria, I'm seeing a lot of new people. It's even more pronounced in dungeon LFGs, where I'm coming across more new people than I'm used to seeing.

• Like 4

On 1/14/2022 at 5:42 AM, Ashantara.8731 said:

Asmongold and other MMO streamers already own GW2 accounts and even mention the game in their stream occasionally. They just see GW2 as a casual game and therefore play it extremely casually.

I heard Bellular the other day that he was going to give a chance to GW2. ANET cannot let it pass this chance, he has a very broad audience!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jasepo.1527 said:

I heard Bellular the other day that he was going to give a chance to GW2. ANET cannot let it pass this chance, he has a very broad audience!

I don't think ArenaNet cares about gameplay streamers or their audiences.

I don't that much, either, and don't even know who Bellular is. :classic_biggrin: Asmongold I only know because I watched a lot of Ashes of Creation and other big MMO reviews lately. I also know and like Josh Hayes, beause his videos are always on-point and I enjoy his sophisticated tone and manners; he has mentioned GW2 several times in his videos.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, jasepo.1527 said:

Bellular had alredy had played GW2 before, At least in the 2012 state and the 2015 state. I remember that he quoted gw2 in some old videos of legion opinion, he did like the mastery system as way of progression. Maybe to abroad its content is going to expand to gw2, like he did to FF. 

But i dont think anet want to capitalize the streamer audience. They know it can have an impact in the game, but i think they simply dont want it to much. Thats why they promote some videos in specific and critical streamers, like Josh Hayes, even in stranges niches as Wowcrendor. 

• Confused 1

EoD is targeting us not new players. Expension to games are for players who are invested in base game not new players who come to game and have 0 idea how game works and what are targets and goales. As u guys saw from there marketing they show us what we get Elita space/Turtle/Fishing/Skiffs. Also dont know why any body will go to game to play expension if they never even touch the game.

• Confused 4

1 hour ago, Silesium.5623 said:

EoD is targeting us not new players. Expension to games are for players who are invested in base game not new players who come to game and have 0 idea how game works and what are targets and goales. As u guys saw from there marketing they show us what we get Elita space/Turtle/Fishing/Skiffs. Also dont know why any body will go to game to play expension if they never even touch the game.

Well, the Devs are partly interested in new players as they have included a couple of Mounts, Gliding and some training areas in End of Dragons.

• Like 5

On 1/20/2022 at 8:04 AM, Bakeneko.5826 said:

No idea who he/she/it is. Streamers are F list celebs who are followed mainly by teens whos attention span is 15 minutes (20 if there is RGB lighting)

nope, josh strife hayes actually goes very deep into the various elements of mmo design

bellular is the guy, if you want to know everything about wow

lazypeon is simply entertaining to watch, even though i dont share his taste in mmos

watching a few videos convinced me NOT to buy new world, and waste my time and money on that wreck

• Confused 1

On 1/12/2022 at 6:22 PM, witcher.3197 said:

He did, you just refuse to accept it.

WoW is dying and FFXIV is sucking up all the players and not GW2.

Which is understandable. FF XIV is in many ways a game very like WoW, so if WoW players need to move somewhere else, it is an obvious first choice. GW2 was for the most part designed to be a game for players that dislike WoW and its clones, so, again, it is not surprising that for most players leaving WoW now it would not be among the first choices.

On 1/12/2022 at 6:22 PM, witcher.3197 said:

In fact a lot of high end PvE people have quit GW2 for FFXIV too. You have to do a spectacularly bad job for an asian MMO to do better on the western market than your product.

FF XIV may be designed by Square Enix, but is no more an "asian MMO" than GW2 is. In fact, it is very much a western style MMO in its design and gameplay. Which, as i mentioned before, is exactly the reason why it's so enticing for WoW players - it may be done slightly differently, but it's basically the same package they are used to.

Of course, GW2 definitely could benefit from better marketing (seeing as Anet's marketing has been quite consistently abyssal so far), but that should be meant mostly for new players, or a very specific subset of old ones. You shuld not kid yourself into thinking that better marketing would make GW2 more appealing for core WoW players, for example - for that, the game itself would have to change first (and in ways me and many other current players probably would not like).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 1/13/2022 at 12:34 AM, Artyport.2084 said:

they took time off for the christmas break with a post that said see you in the new year.

There has been zero communication since.

but thats barely the point!

this is the time to hype the game up. 
no be silent.

this is something they do regularly and its stupid.

there is tons of things they can talk about 

they said they are revamping the rewards system..  no info

they could detail strikes so new players know what they are

they could give raiders some hope that they plan on adding more raids

its like they have no plans and are just winging it 

Not only that no info about:

1. When and if a new fractals comes?
  2. When and if they fix the balance mess they created?
  3. What about the next living world season what is the content or when and if?
  4. By the way what the name of Arena.NETs CEO?

The only things we know the raid team is no more and that not since yesterday and the Alliance Systems comes for WvW + testing.

There was a time when Arena.Nets communication was good but now it seems they are all jailed in the basement of Fort Knox. It is at the point where it is creepy that nothing has leaked . This is also the reason why people like me can't see any future after the EoD release.

I read an article from one of Arena.NETs ex affiliated(because he as a 'real' job now)  that he still finds gw2 super and great and is still a fan of it but the communication of Arena.NET is the worst in the whole MMO landscape atm.

My personal stance about all this is Arena.NET did under perform the last 2,5 year which i can sum up in bad balancing (not only classes) and missing content and they don't say anything so there just a big void in front.

I properly will play EoD but you honestly can't expect people stall for years until they get their stuff together and you have so many good games and MMOs on the market people won't wait and honestly I play mostly another game since December. D

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5

2 hours ago, Lord of the Fire.6870 said:
  • When and if they fix the balance mess they created?
  • What about the next living world season what is the content or when and if?
  • By the way what the name of Arena.NETs CEO?

Such non factor questions. LS question is stupid as a  whole.... We have expac in a months time...

This is also the reason why people like me can't see any future after the EoD release.

What should they tell you? They are working on releasing expac with as little bugs as possible.

communication of Arena.NET is the worst in the whole MMO landscape atm.

That's a blatant lie, gash grab korean MMOs has next to none and whatever New Worlds does is not communication, but failed damage control

My personal stance about all this is Arena.NET did under perform the last 2,5 year which i can sum up in bad balancing (not only classes) and missing content and they don't say anything so there just a big void in front.

I properly will play EoD but you honestly can't expect people stall for years until they get their stuff together and you have so many good games and MMOs on the market people won't wait and honestly I play mostly another game since December. D

Im assuming you came here to troll and failed

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

21 hours ago, Bakeneko.5826 said:

You needed video for that? seriously?

as many other mmo players, i am getting desperate for a good, new mmo. or, at least, a decent , and functional one.

the numbers suggest, that i wasnt alone in this.but dont let reality hold you back. you are free to believe what you want.

some of those streamers have more subs, than most mmos. let that sink in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

24 minutes ago, battledrone.8315 said:

as many other mmo players, i am getting desperate for a good, new mmo. or, at least, a decent , and functional one.

the numbers suggest, that i wasnt alone in this.but dont let reality hold you back. you are free to believe what you want.

some of those streamers have more subs, than most mmos. let that sink in.

I believe the point was that there should have been no need to watch any video for most players to realize New World was a trainwreck about to happen. For me, all it took was a general description of the game from the developer.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1