Personal story was super fun

Athan.7956

After experimenting with different story branches, I finally found the personal story that I liked the best, and I completed the personal story last night. This was extremely fun! I can't remember the last time I had so much fun and was so immersed in a storyline in an MMO (single-player games are a different story). The game basically allows you to hand-craft and role-play the character you want to be, with the background and choices that fit best. I particularly enjoyed the first two chapters, but all chapters were actually great in building a relatable character that is fighting for a great cause.

The story was really immersive even despite the numerous bugs and -at times- poor writing I encountered. The factors that contributed to this positive experience for me were: cutscenes at key moments with cool oil-paint-like artwork that does not age, critical dialogue in cutscenes, speech bubbles in the open world, recurring characters in every corner, intertwining stories (e.g. the dungeon stories coming together with the main story), coherent overall theme (unlike most games that bounce between themes), the fact that side-quests match the theme of the zone you're at (e.g. Pact quests around Fort Trinity), the party at the end of the final quest and the amazing song. It was quite fun to actually play a character going from zero to hero and I'm looking forward to playing the expansions!

• Like 7

I like the structure of the PS and it’s campaign style. I just wish each instance had a bit more to it - but that’s just because we have spoiled by fuller instances later. I think what they tried to do with the story as an arc was pretty good andI like the crossing over of the dungeon story into the main arc and linking the prequel novel into the game by doing so.

I prefer the large campaign style to the bitty, episodic stuff later, despite the clear improvements to dialogue and production values that evolved along the way. It’s also a shame the choices system was scrapped, but I understand why.

6 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

I like the structure of the PS and it’s campaign style. I just wish each instance had a bit more to it - but that’s just because we have spoiled by fuller instances later. I think what they tried to do with the story as an arc was pretty good andI like the crossing over of the dungeon story into the main arc and linking the prequel novel into the game by doing so.

I prefer the large campaign style to the bitty, episodic stuff later, despite the clear improvements to dialogue and production values that evolved along the way. It’s also a shame the choices system was scrapped, but I understand why.

Yeah, branching storylines are much better than linear stories, but it's great that you can at least replay these episodes. 

What do you mean by "fuller instances later"? Are the episodes in the expansions longer that PS chapters? I only played the first episode of each expansion but they seemed super short.

20 minutes ago, Athan.7956 said:

Yeah, branching storylines are much better than linear stories, but it's great that you can at least replay these episodes. 

What do you mean by "fuller instances later"? Are the episodes in the expansions longer that PS chapters? I only played the first episode of each expansion but they seemed super short.

Instance lengths in living story and expansions vary, but in general are not just a case of often being longer, but have more going on, especially terms of mechanics and fight complexity. There’s also more exposition, achievements within each instance and more interactive dialogue. There are virtually no mechanics in the personal story fights with a couple of exceptions, making the lieutenants of Zhaitan often feel trivial and unworthy to fight. Compare that to Glints Lair and the Shadow of the Dragon fights in S2 and some of the Season 3 fights and it is like two very different games. 

Season 4 has some especially long instances. In contrast some of the personal story instances are barely 5 minutes in length and others - like Abaddons Temple, claw island, the Fort in Timberline and Zhaitan - are closer to later instances lengths.

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 1