Jump to content
  • Sign Up

What I Personally Think GW3 should look like


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Sci-fi did warm us about large screens on the walls of our living rooms with fake characters we came to view as our friends, but we’ve been living with that for a while and the consequences have only been moderately terrible for society. So maybe that next step into VR won’t be too bad. 😄

Right, only moderately.🤔

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello everyone. With many players discussing EOD and the future of the game, I want to take the difficult road- and assume GW3 is in the works- even if unlikely or your in disagreement- let us assume

I have 9 years invested in my Characters.  I don't intend to leave for a new version.

Let me put it that way: the changes you propose are, in my opinion, for the most part changes for the worse. 1. Sandbox game - those are generally primarily PvP ones. You even said it yourself wh

For me I don't think the immersion of VR is worth the trade-off of not being able to see and hear what's really around me. I'd rather stick with a screen and be able to look away when I need to, or pay attention to the game and something else in the room. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never tried VR. Is it friendly to those prone to motion sickness in games? I can't do first person shooters, and even mounts took a while to adjust to the new motion. I'd be highly concerned if there were a GW3 and it was VR-only. Emphasis on the IFs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

I've never tried VR. Is it friendly to those prone to motion sickness in games? I can't do first person shooters, and even mounts took a while to adjust to the new motion. I'd be highly concerned if there were a GW3 and it was VR-only. Emphasis on the IFs.

I don’t personally have much experience, but from what I read, the current state of the art does leave a significant amount of people feeling uncomfortable.

When I brought it up, I was mostly trying to think of a tech advance big enough that I’d agree it was time for GW3. If VR was inexpensive and quality enough that it had become the gaming standard, then I could see a need for GW3.

Another advance would be if learning AI was available to the point that ArenaNet could take their dynamic events concept to a new level where they could really make a zone feel like factions vying against each other in a way that doesn’t feel scripted. That’d make a GW3 a worthy successor.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Learning AI's another thing that scares me more than a little bit (probably more than VR), but I can see it being able to improve PvE, not just the enemy mobs but also allies as well....and Ally NPCs really, really need their AI improved.  I can agree that such a thing would be at least one reason to move onto a potential GW3.....several years from now.

As I've said in other threads on this topic, I would actually like to see a GW3 far along in the future, GW2 can't last forever and when its time does come to an end I'd like there to be a successor to move on to. If there isn't one, I probably will have to give up on playing MMOs entirely as the design philosophy of the GW franchise is what allowed me to be able to get into this genre in the first place.

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Learning AI's another thing that scares me more than a little bit (probably more than VR), but I can see it being able to improve PvE, not just the enemy mobs but also allies as well....and Ally NPCs really, really need their AI improved.  I can agree that such a thing would be at least one reason to move onto a potential GW3.....several years from now.

As I've said in other threads on this topic, I would actually like to see a GW3 far along in the future, GW2 can't last forever and when its time does come to an end I'd like there to be a successor to move on to. If there isn't one, I probably will have to give up on playing MMOs entirely as the design philosophy of the GW franchise is what allowed me to be able to get into this genre in the first place.

friendly ai used to be better but anet had to dumb them down since they completed content for players.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

friendly ai used to be better but anet had to dumb them down since they completed content for players.

Not only that, during beta ssome mobs (I am looking at you Bandits) were actually programmed to fight more effectively. They would move out of AoEs, dodge effectively, etc....players complained so ANet nerfed them.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2022 at 6:40 PM, Linken.6345 said:

Then buy 800-1200 gems each month and call it a vip sub in your head mate.

stable income XD

On 1/14/2022 at 10:43 PM, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Gonna be honest, VR becoming an actual mainstream media model and not just a gimmick genuinely terrifies me.  Haven't there been enough dystopian sci-fi movies to warn against this?

 

Plus I like being able to see my characters.

I had my niece play GW2 so i could get some sleep. One day i decided to do something special and recorded the gameplay usine Relive from AMD.

i then Edited the video for VR headsets.

once i finished the little project i placed my cell onto one of those cheap VR headsets(we actually had the rift too)

and i  played the VR edited GW2 footage.

My niece was like this is so cool. she only got bummed out once she realized it was prerecorded and that she couldn't rotate the camera herself.

This, is why they should add a VR option.

On 1/15/2022 at 5:33 AM, LesserHellspawn.3160 said:

Congrats, you just made me want to replay GW1, which I still consider to be the superior game.

lol, i play it when be like my laptop can play it with ease... Once i die on the quest i go like... Back to GW2 XD.

i bounce off both of them. heck i was stuck on one quest for like almost a year on GW1. i'm not bright... kinda on the kitten side so once i complete gw1 it will be a grand achievement for me XD

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2022 at 3:03 PM, DeanBB.4268 said:

I've never tried VR. Is it friendly to those prone to motion sickness in games? I can't do first person shooters, and even mounts took a while to adjust to the new motion. I'd be highly concerned if there were a GW3 and it was VR-only. Emphasis on the IFs.

kinda, depends on how well the Headset and Game perform. Also they keep not making vents with fan for the headset to exhaust heat away from the head. That, actually causes people to feel lightheaded(from the heat induced to forehead constantly) .

You'll never know if don't give it a shot. some people can play up to 1hr at a time before having motion sickness. for those that don't have that issue, they can play up to like 5hours before the heat itself takes them out XD

we mentioned the heat issue to a Rep before, she said that doesn't usually happen and they would talked to the team about it... but they never fixed it from what i know of.(Oculus Rift 1st consumer version, not the beta versions)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jishi.7568 said:

You'll never know if don't give it a shot.

You very obviously have never suffered from frequent, severe motion sickness.  As someone who does, I assure you, it is, in fact: I'll never give it a shot until I know.  

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2022 at 12:03 AM, DeanBB.4268 said:

I've never tried VR. Is it friendly to those prone to motion sickness in games?

At the current level, not really. In theory, a VR that is "advanced enough" however should be equally motion sickness-inducing as doing similar movements in real life would be. Which has the potential of being both good and bad to an equal degree.

Notice, how the First Person motion-inducing games deal with it in two ways: first is by extending field of view (which VR can do quite well), and second is by putting limiters on the speed of movement (and shaking) camera can do - which is pretty much not how VR works.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jishi.7568 said:

I had my niece play GW2 so i could get some sleep. One day i decided to do something special and recorded the gameplay usine Relive from AMD.

i then Edited the video for VR headsets.

once i finished the little project i placed my cell onto one of those cheap VR headsets(we actually had the rift too)

and i  played the VR edited GW2 footage.

My niece was like this is so cool. she only got bummed out once she realized it was prerecorded and that she couldn't rotate the camera herself.

This, is why they should add a VR option.

Cute story and all but its not actually doing anything to convince me VR for GW should be a thing.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone with bad enough motion sickness to occasionally end up bedridden for hours after 15-20 minutes of some roaming content and JPs in current state of the game, Kitty says no thanks to VR-only. Even now Kitty's somewhat bound to doing instanced content for that reason.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2022 at 6:17 PM, Danikat.8537 said:

Have you considered that not all differences of opinion are a result of ignorance?

I played MMOs back then. Ultima Online was my main one, but I also tried Everquest and Runescape (which I didn't like as much) and a couple I can't even remember the names of.

As I explained earlier in this thread I had to give up on it because I couldn't commit the time required or the regular schedule necessary to be part of a community and didn't enjoy the limited options available to a solo player. For various reasons I lost interest in WoW before it released, in spite of being a big fan of Warcraft 2. Until I discovered Guild Wars 1 I just assumed MMOs weren't for me and I'd never be able to play one. It's not a coincidence or some sort of mistake that this is the franchise I've stuck with for 16 years, it was an informed choice.

Also if you prefer sandbox style MMOs or other styles that were more common before WoW there's still options for that. For one thing Ultima Online is still online.

Usually people don't know what they want until they have it. Of course people have different opinions, but a large amount of people like to judge a concept or a genre even before having tried it (look at the rise of the souls series). 
Like I said, theme park mmos are not bad per say, but there should be more diversity in the mmo genre.
I just wanted to bring perspective into the subject brought up by OP.

Edited by Tabootrinket.2631
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tabootrinket.2631 said:

Usually people don't know what they want until they have it. Of course people have different opinions, but a large amount of people like to judge a concept or a genre even before having tried it (look at the rise of the souls series). 
Like I said, theme park mmos are not bad per say, but there should be more diversity in the mmo genre.
I just wanted to bring perspective into the subject brought up by OP.

That's fine, its not like anyone is against Sandbox mmos existing, but we're all here at least in part because GW2 is a theme park MMO, the GW franchise has always been theme park types.  This franchise simply isn't the place for a sandbox type.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...