i bought all the expansions including eod can i buy everything else with in game money?

16 minutes ago, absolutia.9321 said:

character slots etc etc

Pretty much yes.

You can convert Cash to Gems to Gold (and Gold to Gems) to pay for anything in game.

Outside of buying the game and Expansions on the website, everything else is available in game.

Here is a Wiki article for the items you can buy, with links to sales etc.

Gem Store - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)

You will probably want to start with the Upgrades section.  Be aware that there is rotating stock and sales on some items, and the next big sale is usually in March (that may change with EoD releasing).

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, absolutia.9321 said:

character slots etc etc

Not every item listed in GW2 Wiki for Gem store items have been updated when there where on sale for Sale History (it is collapsed by default, so yo need click link to see more).

Tried to find this link as this show all retailers that have been listed during last sale for Gem Cards and for PoF.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/big-sales-on-gem-cards-and-guild-wars-2-path-of-fire-this-weekend/

Don't forget even when you have bought "everything" as for Expansions (HoT, PoF and EoD), you still need to purchase Living World Seasons (if you are outside of the free give away window for that seasons episodes).

Buy those LW Season from Gem Store UI and NOT from Hero Panel Story section (tab marked with a star) as you will then pay 200 Gem for each unlock versus the 20% reduction in Gem Store when you buy those as a package. Gem Store will reduce price on package for episodes you might already have bought for full price in Hero Panel. The link @Mungo Zen.9364provided you with will also show those packages and what each package contain from story content.

Search on wiki for what each LW episodes contains in case you want to open up certain maps or have special goals like getting Skyscale or getting easier access to Mastery from both doing story and maps that have a couple of Mastery Insights (they work the same way as Hero Challenges; you commune with them and get a Mastery Point).

Repeating story content will also give you achievements and rewards, so it is best to check out how Living World Season are related to expansions.

Edited by ShadowCatz.8437

Yes, you can buy everything (except for the core game and its expansions) in the Gemstore with in-game gold. Just convert your gold to Gems. This is why it is common to hear players bragging that they have been playing for years and never have to spend a single cent in real money to buy any of Gemstore stuff. If that is true, it is really bad for ANet and it's the end if many followed. Personally I think ANet should come up with some exclusive Gemstore items that can only be bought with real money like those expansions.

*runs away... will avoid this topic for a few weeks*

Edited by Mil.3562
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Mil.3562 said:

Yes, you can buy everything (except for the core game and its expansions) in the Gemstore with in-game gold. Just convert your gold to Gems. This is why it is common to hear players bragging that they have been playing for years and never have to spend a single cent in real money to buy any of Gemstore stuff. If that is true, it is really bad for ANet and it's the end if many followed. Personally I think ANet should come up with some exclusive Gemstore items that can only be bought with real money like those expansions.

*runs away... will avoid this topic for a few weeks*

The gold to gems exchange is swapping currencies between players, it's just facilitated by the Trading Post, like trading items. All the gems you can buy that way are ones which another player has bought with real money and exchanged for gold, so Anet get paid either way.

Hypothetically if everyone bought gems with gold and no one exchanged gems for gold then eventually the Trading Post would run out of gems. That's very unlikely to happen though because first it would push the exchange rate up so high most people wouldn't be able to afford to buy gems that way, or wouldn't consider it worth it. That would also make it very tempting for those who can to convert their gems into gold because they'd get a lot more gold for their money.

I suspect it's just that the people who buy gems and convert them to gold are less likely to tell everyone about it. Partially because it's not likely to be as interesting or informative for other players when your great technique for making gold is having a job which regularly offers over-time, and partially because people tend to look down on that approach because it's what enables pay-to-win games to exist.

• Like 2

Yes, you can by means already explained in this thread.

But you will need your gold for a smooth gaming experience, so if you have the money, you will have a far more enjoyable experience when you buy GEMstore items with gems purchased with real-world currency and keep your gold for buying things for your characters on the trading post. (Like crafting materials and gear)

On 1/18/2022 at 10:49 AM, Danikat.8537 said:

The gold to gems exchange is swapping currencies between players, it's just facilitated by the Trading Post, like trading items. All the gems you can buy that way are ones which another player has bought with real money and exchanged for gold, so Anet get paid either way.

No it isn't. The conversion ratio is determined on amounts of sales both ways, akin to GW1 material vendors, but this is no STO, and converter can totally spew out more gems than players are contributing to it. Otherwise you would have alot of failed gold-to-gem conversions or huge queues to get your gems at any rate. For reference just look at STO's Dilithium Exchange situation (which works like you describe) - huge backlog of premium currency orders, with people waiting up to week to get their premium currency from it. And game currency used for transation there is timegated, as opposed to GW2 gold, which means that if GW2 worked on same premise we would see similar issue much faster.

• Confused 3

2 hours ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

No it isn't. The conversion ratio is determined on amounts of sales both ways, akin to GW1 material vendors, but this is no STO, and converter can totally spew out more gems than players are contributing to it. Otherwise you would have alot of failed gold-to-gem conversions or huge queues to get your gems at any rate. For reference just look at STO's Dilithium Exchange situation (which works like you describe) - huge backlog of premium currency orders, with people waiting up to week to get their premium currency from it. And game currency used for transation there is timegated, as opposed to GW2 gold, which means that if GW2 worked on same premise we would see similar issue much faster.

Information: 

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Currency_exchange#Mechanics

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Very interesting. Still, there had to be starting pool for both supplies, and it had to be major number, so not all gems in the currency exchange are something someone else paid for, but for the system to last so long and not break this has interesting implications.

Basically for everyone of ALOT of players claiming to have never paid a dime and getting everyone from farming gold there had to be someone doing opposite to replenish the stocks. (Or AN just artificially inflating them whenever it dips into unacceptable rates....)

In my defence last time I have seen any statement on the issue that was traceable to AN was in pre-release when they were like "basically same deal as gw1 material vendors" and gw1 material vendors were only explained with "it's an algorithm that simulates supply and demand based on player transactions" - and Gw1 material vendors did have caps and people didn't drain them empty yet, which shows as something quite different to what was described there.

• Confused 2

I would love to see actual numbers for how many people exchange gems and gold either way, and how much they exchange. I know Anet would never share those details with us, but I'd find it very interesting if they did.

But I suspect those who never buy gems with real money also don't buy much from the gem store overall. I highly doubt there's many people farming thousands of gold to buy everything in the store, it's more likely they'll get the few items they really like or find most useful. So the demand for gems may not be as high as it appears based off the number of people who say they only use gold.

In Elder Scrolls Online it's definitely only possible to buy cash shop currency another player is selling because there's no system for it - you have to find someone willing to 'gift' you the item/s you want in exchange for a pre-agreed amount of gold. In that game finding cash shop currency for sale is never a problem, there's always someone willing to sell. The only problem is it may be too expensive to be worthwhile. So based on that I don't find it hard to believe there's a similar situation in GW2 and there are enough gems going into the system to balance out demand for them, especially when the exchange rate shoots up if lots of people want gems at once.