Hmmmmm. Solid maybe?

I'd probably have to see data I don't have access to. I say that because I'm not sure how much gold gets taken out of the economy by waypoint usage and how helpful that might be to the game. If it's negligible, then you might as well make waypointing free, but if it's significant and useful, probably better to leave it be. Damaged armor used to cost money to repair until ArenaNet decided to make it free, so I wonder if this wouldn't have a similar noneffect? It is a mystery~

• Like 2

I suspect it takes out a considerable amount of money.

Just thinking for myself, in most cases when I'm playing, I'm usually using several waypoints each day, so using somewhere between 5-10s/day.  Multiply that be all the players, and that is a lot of gold.

And while free, how often I actually need to repair my armor is pretty infrequent.

I also suspect that if waypoints were free, it becomes even more affordable to have a character hop to a dozen different farming spots - pure profit from the farming, no cost to get there.  Where as right now, the waypoint costs dip into any profits, and probably make some unprofitable.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I'll admit, it was a bit jarring coming from GW1 where waypoints were free, to GW2 where they had a cost.

But I've grudgingly come to accept the requirement for it over time.

It adds a low level moneysink to the game, which is required in order to help keep the economy under control.

Unlike in real life, resources in MMOs are effectively infinite, so ways of taking currency out of the game are essential to maintain the economy (where there is one).

A lot of modern "Games as a Service" have done away with inter-player economies completely in order to avoid having to deal with the associated complications, and it's understandable. Running a game economy properly is very difficult to do, and is fraught with risks, such as duplication bugs and other exploits players are likely to find, so you have to pay a team solely to deal with the economy if you don't want it all going to heck in a handbasket.

ArenaNet then go and and a further layer of complication for themselves by allowing players to exchange gold for gems. So they have to make sure their economic systems are air-tight, otherwise exploiters and up getting for free a lot of things that other players would end up paying for. This hits their bottom line in a very real way, as they rely on Gem shop transactions to keep the lights on!

Think of waypoint transactions as being a small part of the in-game cost necessary to avoid Anet having to charge a subscription fee 🙂

Edited by Mungrul.9358
Emphasis.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
2 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

I'll admit, it was a bit jarring coming from GW1 where waypoints were free, to GW2 where they had a cost.

For starters, GW1 didn't have waypoints. They had ability to fast travel to social hubs scattered around the map. And before you start going on "semantics" direct transition of that system into gw2 would mean free fast travel to the 6 "cities" and nothing more. If we went with going with the spirit of the mechanic and not the letter it would still only mean ability to fast travel to incredibly limited settlements around the map. Meanwhile waypoints hover all over the place without regard to wether area is inhabited or hostile. (With density only getting limited in post-pof content where mounts entered the scene.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Calm down skippy!

Since every map was an instance bordered by an outpost, the equivalent to GW2's waypoints in GW1 was free. That was my inference, but I should remember never to underestimate the bloody-mindedness of forum pedants.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

You got mounts, and the only time WPs SEEM to be expensive is at the beginning of the game for the 1st time player. Even then there are ways to minimize costs using portals. Get a pass and travel around for almost no cost, use the living story scrolls to get real close to just about every single area on the map to lower costs, use PvE and WvW portals for free. Teleport to a friend can be helpful and if you multiple level 80 characters that you played the few coppers/silvers are virtually nothing for WPs. There are likely many more ways that I have forgotten. It becomes a non issue very early in the game.

Edited by Blude.6812
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

The only thing this would accomplish is to fool some people into wasting their money or gold.

The most expensive wp cost I can find is 6s80c for going from Kourna to Drizzlewood. Assuming this pass cost the same as the waypoint unlock and at current exchange rates it will take 11,617 / 17,117 waypoint uses to break even. That is waypointing around 32/47 times a day for a year even if you are bouncing between two of the farthest points in game. Nobody is doing that so the actual number or time would have to be even greater.

Are you just waypointing around for no reason at all? If you are doing it for story then the rewards there cover the cost.  If you are gathering stuff then the gathered items cover the cost. If you are doing events then the event reward cover the cost.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Early game, seeing the cost of waypoints encouraged me to walk around on my charr's two feet and genuinely enjoy exploring the areas. I regret nothing.

Nowadays, these youngsters be boostin' to level 80 to grab that raptor, run around on their maxed level, no skill character, and complain that there's no beauty in the game and no tutorial to help them decipher how to play.

I think we should keep the waypoint cost. Then at least the few people who don't boost to level 80, and who are too poor to waypoint, will be forced to enjoy the game >:)

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
54 minutes ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

Calm down skippy!

Since every map was an instance bordered by an outpost

...you might want to look again, because what you said is not true.

Flame Temple Corridor, Dragon's Gullet, Ascalon Foothills, Griffon's Mouth, Talmark Wilderness, Tears of the Fallen, Black Curtain, Majesty's rest...

Need i count more?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Well, not gonna lie, that we, the commander, have to pay the waypoint-fees is a bit diaspointing 😇.

On the other hand, I have the feeling that most of the money for the waypoints comes from us, what normal Tyrian would use the waypoints tens of times a day because they are sent back and forth by some people?

Edited by Fuchslein.8639

There are already a variety of 'free' passes that can be bought in game such as the Living World Scrolls, and free services such as Asura Gates.  You also have Boss/Home/Maguuma Pact Portal Devices available in the Gem Shop, so there are grounds for this type of service to exist.

WP for Free would be in the same vein as the Infinite Salvage Tools or Gathering Tools, where the cost to value means 'breaking even' on those purchases could take years to attain.  In fact, even the above scrolls could take 100+ uses before they break even.  So we also have convenience items with very long term return on investment in game already.

All it would take is figuring out what is the appropriate value to assign something that would take a long time to break even in value, while potentially being abused.  As the average trip is probably around 3s, and hmmm, 30,000 trips seems like an unreasonably large number, 900g would be a potential starting cost. 

900g or 3000 Gems for free WP for life seems like a really good value (for some players in some circumstances, not all players).  It falls inline with the other Infinite Tools and if you were abusing the free WP and using it all the time you could likely hit the breakpoint in a couple years of usage.

However, all that said, I really do not think this type of tool I would bother buying, even if it was 1000 Gems.  I have found many inexpensive ways to travel that add an extra loading screen or two such as LW Portal Scrolls, Invitation to the Party, Sanctuary Pass to Asura Gate to Major City then WP or Mount run.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jemmi.6058 said:

So.. like... just buy some gems, convert to gold, and then you've got the gold to pay for waypoints purchased with gems - your very own waypoint pass.

Although that doesn't tend to be how the gem store things work. In your version, you'd only end up paying for what you actually use. Many gemstore conveniences cost way more in gold than the gold they save you from having to pay in game.

In order to properly simulate how a waypoint pass would most likely be implemented, one would have to convert enough gems to gold to cover years of waypointing, and make sure never to use that gold for anything else.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Hm, lots of confusion. Maybe the post above mine was clearer, as it did point to the same thing.

Infinite gathering tools and home instance nodes, for example, are priced such that it would take years of in game use for them to "pay for themselves" so to speak.

Apply that to a Waypoint Pass, and if you wanted to simulate it with gems-gold, you'd have to lock up a very large amount of gold for exclusive WP usage in order to get the same effect.

• Like 3

I can see the appeal.  However, it's really not expensive...utilize the guild hall, utilize portals, scrolls, etc.  You can vendor trash for as much as you spend daily.  For a subjective quality of life item,  it would make home instances nodes seem economical.

Also it's not something taking up bag space or having to run to a vendor for, unlike permanent gathering tools which replace things that occupy space.  It's not something I would spend gems on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2