32bits and 64bits compatibility questions

Hi, my laptop its specs :

Intel Hd 520 32bits gpu ; 

Windows 10 Pro

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz   2.40 GHz ;

16,0 GB ddr ;

64bits operating system with x64 processor

Question : Is this setup causing conflicts ?

32 bits gpu on a 64 bits gameclient ?

Or is it backwards compatible ?

Or shall i make a toilet seat of my laptop ?

cheers!

The bits are referencing different things. "32bits" on the GPU is usually a reference to its memory bus width, but since it's only 32, it could also mean its software, color depth or OS compatibility. A 32 bit memory bus would just mean it's very slow at transferring memory. You can use GPU-Z to see what it actually is, which is probably 128 bit. For comparison, a dedicated GPU is going to be 192 to 384 bits.

3 hours ago, BunjiKugashira.9754 said:

The 32 bits game client isn't really supported anymore and has issues with memory overflow.

(the 32-bit client was disabled)

• Like 2

I read somewhere that you can change gw264.exe into gw.exe and this trick should make it a 32 bit client. But only with 4gb.

But i definitly agree that this will not be do any good to the game for me.

I wondered about my laptop its specs if it coukld run gw2 because it is at my mothers house, and sometime to kill some time i play guildwars 2 there xd

The biggest problem is probably that everything needs to be played on low settings and is my gpu. 

Thanks for the thoughts all.

Thanks all for the information

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, arie.2697 said:

I read somewhere that you can change gw264.exe into gw.exe and this trick should make it a 32 bit client. But only with 4gb.

But i definitly agree that this will not be do any good to the game for me.

I wondered about my laptop its specs if it coukld run gw2 because it is at my mothers house, and sometime to kill some time i play guildwars 2 there xd

The biggest problem is probably that everything needs to be played on low settings and is my gpu. 

Thanks for the thoughts all.

Thanks all for the information

Why would you install or even mess around with 32 bit GW2 client today? When you have x64 OS and most of your drivers will work in x64 mode (it is only apps that can sometimes still exist in x86 [which means it is a 32 bit version] and that you can find stored in the Program Files (x86) folder). Even before Window 10 existed there where Windows XP Pro x64 (in the time of transition between x86 to x64 for drivers) and it did work for most part without any issues with x86 drivers until there where x64 version available on driver side.

(Yes it wasn't the most common version of Windows XP, but it had features that that where useful as a Pro version).

Almost every Windows x64 version have had support to run x86 apps and drivers until Window 11 (*) when needed without any issue, it is only the other way around that can be a problem as x86 have limits for memory allocation and some other parts that can not be handled when it is 32 bit version of OS. 

Here is some information about your integrated GPU Intel HD 520: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-520.149940.0.html

Use that link and scroll down to where you find different games in different resolution tested against other iGPUs (aka Benchmark) and combination of CPU/RAM (as it hard to make perfectly matched benchmark on Notebook hardware that you can compare directly hardware against hardware like you can on desktop systems).

As an example if you look at single player games, which don't have to handle connection to server in background or do which can have an impact when one want to keep everything as much as the same between test run like number of players as an example can't be controlled in an open world MMO), you will see that in Dragon Age Inquistion that even when you scale down to the lowest resolution that performance in frames pr second (FPS) are rather low to be even playable (17 FPS @1024 x 768 pixel and 28 FPS if set to dual channel for system RAM).

There is a long list of games so you can see that some games have better performance then this that might even be MMOs, but it is still an indication that performance will be depending on your system RAMs channel (which translate in memory bandwidth as on iGPU you very often don't have a dedicated VRAM that often are faster then system RAM and also only work with GPU tasks.

Here you can find the latest driver for Intel HD 520:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/products/88355/graphics/graphics-for-6th-generation-intel-processors/intel-hd-graphics-520.html#support-article-selector

(*) Turns out after some searching that Windows 11 still will support x86 emulation and legecy drivers, but that isn't a given thing considering that hardware level issues with such things like Spectre virus and so on is one reason why Windows 11 will replace Windows 10 (more strickt requirments on hardware level for what software will be allowed to do).

Here is the link to Notebook Checks benchmark of Intel HD 520: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-520.149940.0.html

That link did get removed by mistake during editing of post

Edited by ShadowCatz.8437
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1