Na and eu merge

Gamble.4580

1 hour ago, Gamble.4580 said:

I wish there was a way to merge eu and na spvp without it affecting ping to much. Is there??

Hm, let me think:

- rebuild Atlantis and place the gw2 server farm there?

- build a heat-resistant gw2 server farm in the center of the earth?

- discovering how hyper-light-speed communication works?

- rebuild the internet with quantum entanglement?

The last seems to be the most realistic one, a special case of the hyper-light speed communication, but I guess it will still take a while given the current cost of buildng quantum pairs in quantum computers 🙂

Edited by Dayra.7405
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

It's not possible unfortunately. The regions are separate because their servers are in different physical locations and the additional ping you get connecting to one further away is partially a matter of the number of connections the signal has to go through and partially simple physics - an electric current can only go so fast, if it has to go further it's going to take longer. (There are other factors like the quality of the cable immediately adjacent to your house and whether you're on a package where your internet provider throttles your bandwidth, but fixing those won't change the problem of distance.)

Anet could provide 1 server cluster that everyone connects to, but just like with Oceanic players connecting to NA or EU people further away will have a higher ping.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dayra.7405 said:

Hm, let me think:

- rebuild Atlantis and place the gw2 server farm there?

- build a heat-resistant gw2 server farm in the center of the earth?

- discovering how hyper-light-speed communication works?

- rebuild the internet with quantum entanglement?

The last seems to be the most realistic one, a special case of the hyper-light speed communication, but I guess it will still take a while given the current cost of buildng quantum pairs in quantum computers 🙂

my hope is for Atlantis

Is it possible to do without murdering ping? Yeah, but it would be so wildly expensive it would not be worth it. It's interesting to know that a lot things people think are "impossible" with computer related problems are not really impossible. It's just the cost to solve those problems heavily out weigh the solution. That's why most games have regional servers to begin with. 

• Confused 1

On 1/14/2022 at 5:32 PM, Avatar.3568 said:

Just give a checkbox to allow que on other server. 

If you accept you (eu) can get on eu and na servers, if not you only get into eu server but na players could still join

that sounds like a decent idea, at least something they could try, and if its kitten they can just remove it.
The one downside to this I can see is that people from NA could desert their server for better pop EU, and people that have too high ping for EU cant even play the game anymore as NA would be empty, worth a test at least IMO.

On 1/15/2022 at 12:28 PM, Zexanima.7851 said:

Is it possible to do without murdering ping? Yeah, but it would be so wildly expensive it would not be worth it. It's interesting to know that a lot things people think are "impossible" with computer related problems are not really impossible. It's just the cost to solve those problems heavily out weigh the solution. That's why most games have regional servers to begin with. 

the problem is that not only servers have to be good and expensive but also personal internet has to be good.
and at the end of the day it all is for the general pop which doesnt have insane internet connections.

2 hours ago, FarmBotXD.1430 said:

the problem is that not only servers have to be good and expensive but also personal internet has to be good.
and at the end of the day it all is for the general pop which doesnt have insane internet connections.

Yup yup. You make a good point that even if they did dump the truck loads of money into making this possible it still wouldn't work for everyone.