Fishing in Windswept Haven?

With EoD fast approaching, I've been thinking about fishing as that's going to be such a big feature. A while ago in one of the Guild Chats, either the one that featured fishing or the one exploring the Shing Jea guild hall, one of the hosts said that fishing would be available in -all- the guild halls. But I'm having a hard time seeing how that'll be available in somewhere like Windswept Haven where the water level is ankle deep just about everywhere, minus one or two pockets barely even the size of a person. 

I'm wondering if WH will be exempt from this, which would really suck, or if maybe there's a possibility of them adjusting the water levels? I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on it, especially if your guild has this particular hall  because maybe I've missed something in there!

Edited by dreamcapture.1790
fixing grammar and capitalization
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

They say you'll be able to fish 'anywhere with water', but that doesn't just mean any place that looks like water. 'Water' in GW2 is determined by a fill level set across the entire map, as I recall. So anything that pops your swim skills would be water, but the fountain decorations, decorative streams, and ankle-deep spots wouldn't be. By this criteria, I'm actually very curious to see if you can fish in the diving buckets, because even though those are tiny, they pop your underwater skills and as I recall there are even some in WvW maps.

With regard to Windswept Haven, I think you might be out of luck unless you break out of bounds and hit the water level that way.

• Confused 2

Here's the exact quote: You can fish anywhere in the game world that there is water though. Fishing is not only in End of Dragons; it's going to be throughout the game world. And that means also in the water in your Guild Halls. Let's get started.

So, if there's no 'water' in Windswept, there probably is no fishing. 

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Chat_-_Episode_109

• Thanks 2

I think it's either ONLY for Isle of Reflection or for all the Guild Halls. I don't think ANet would do all and leave out only Windswept Haven. It will create pitchfork riots outside ANet office. 

I have mentioned before in one of the topics that there is a decent area of deep water blocked and hidden behind the watefalls. Maybe Anet can expand on that and give WH a deep water oasis for fishing...and underwater swimming. Yay!

Edited by Mil.3562
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 1/15/2022 at 5:46 AM, dreamcapture.1790 said:

With EoD fast approaching, I've been thinking about fishing as that's going to be such a big feature. A while ago in one of the Guild Chats, either the one that featured fishing or the one exploring the Shing Jea guild hall, one of the hosts said that fishing would be available in -all- the guild halls. But I'm having a hard time seeing how that'll be available in somewhere like Windswept Haven where the water level is ankle deep just about everywhere, minus one or two pockets barely even the size of a person. 

I'm wondering if WH will be exempt from this, which would really suck, or if maybe there's a possibility of them adjusting the water levels? I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on it, especially if your guild has this particular hall  because maybe I've missed something in there!

Most likely it meant HoT guild halls, as those have quite a bit of water

3 hours ago, Mil.3562 said:

Lost Precipice has plenty of water. Lots of water for skiff fishing even.

must be hidden somewhere in those canyons I never explored xD

3 hours ago, Mil.3562 said:

Windswept Haven has oasis and stream but they lack depth. Oh wait, small or shallow water can only fish for tiny fish? 🤣

realistically speaking the pond is deep enough to support a population of very tiny fish 🙂 AN did mention that different spots would have different kinds of fish, no?

2 hours ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

realistically speaking the pond is deep enough to support a population of very tiny fish 🙂 AN did mention that different spots would have different kinds of fish, no?

It’d be interesting if you could fish for minnows in small bodies of water that could act as bait for fishing at more prominent fishing spots. Perhaps several minnows could be combined through crafting to become a “bucket of bait”.

This could look like a consumable that gives an increased chance of rare catches for 15 minutes. Or maybe it could increase the margin for error in the fishing mini-game for 15 minutes.

A higher tier version could be “bucket of chum” which increases the chance to get more significant fish for a time for anyone using the fishing spot where it is consumed.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 4:17 AM, AgentMoore.9453 said:

They say you'll be able to fish 'anywhere with water', but that doesn't just mean any place that looks like water. 'Water' in GW2 is determined by a fill level set across the entire map, as I recall. So anything that pops your swim skills would be water, but the fountain decorations, decorative streams, and ankle-deep spots wouldn't be. By this criteria, I'm actually very curious to see if you can fish in the diving buckets, because even though those are tiny, they pop your underwater skills and as I recall there are even some in WvW maps.

With regard to Windswept Haven, I think you might be out of luck unless you break out of bounds and hit the water level that way.

I suspect whether it's actual water or the fake water effect which is higher than the fill level will be the important thing, not how deep it is.

I've sometimes encountered very shallow 'real' water which still kicks off water effects, like my ranger switching to her aquatic pet even though she's only knee deep in it.

14 hours ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

I think this is a good idea. Different guild hall spawns their own exclusive breed of fishes. Windswept Haven has shallow water hence tiny spawns shallow water fish, Lost Precipice has its own deep water fish and since Glided Hollow is in a huge cavern so it will have fishes that spawn in clear, cold water, hidden away from the sun.

Edited by Mil.3562

7 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I suspect whether it's actual water or the fake water effect which is higher than the fill level will be the important thing

Yes, that's what I said. 'Water' in GW2 is mechanically determined by the fill level (as far as I know), but there are also purely decorative puddles, decorations, etc. which do not qualify. We'll find out what Windswept Haven has by late February.

6 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Yes, that's what I said. 'Water' in GW2 is mechanically determined by the fill level (as far as I know), but there are also purely decorative puddles, decorations, etc. which do not qualify. We'll find out what Windswept Haven has by late February.

I was addressing the part of your post where you said any water which is ankle-deep won't work for fishing.

If the water in Windswept Haven is the real water level it won't matter that it's just above the ground and not deep enough to swim - it will still function as water for fishing.

Whereas there's other places where the 'water' can be above a human character's head but it's not real water so they can't swim (just walk along the bottom) and it won't be possible to fish there either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Danikat.8537 said:

you said any water which is ankle-deep won't work for fishing.

I said watery guild hall decorations and decorative water won't work, citing streams and ankle-deep accents as examples - not that depth determined functionality. I apologize if that wasn't clear.

4 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

there's other places where the 'water' can be above a human character's head but it's not real water so they can't swim

Yep. And on the flip side, there's a particularly good spot in Fireheart Rise where you can straight up swim in the lava because it's on the fill level and treated like water by the game, and theoretically, you'll be able to go fish there - so that's nice.

• Like 1