Giving every city a festival?

TheLadyOfTheRings.9148

Hey everyone. 

As far as I know, the only main cities that don’t host any festival are the Grove and the Black Citadel. 

Would you like to have at least 2 new festivals, one in each of these cities? If yes, what kind of festivals do you think could be introduced? 

I was thinking that we could have a Aurene-themed festival in the Grove, perhaps organized by Caithe and the Order of the Crystal Bloom.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

Hey everyone. 

As far as I know, the only main cities that don’t host any festival are the Grove and the Black Citadel. 

Would you like to have at least 2 new festivals, one in each of these cities? If yes, what kind of festivals do you think could be introduced? 

I was thinking that we could have a Aurene-themed festival in the Grove, perhaps organized by Caithe and the Order of the Crystal Bloom.

I think six festivals a year are good, so I'd much rather see one of the current festivals moved.  Unfortunately, there's probably no lore to justify moving anything to either of those cities, though you could move Wintersday to Elona and Lunar New Year to Cantha.  

It's not a bad idea, it's just that, at a month to six weeks apiece with an average of six weeks between festivals as it is, cramming a lot more in would start to feel rushed and over-busy, and take away from the feeling of the festivals as something special.  And even short holidays I could imagine adding - something for valentine's day, thanksgiving, and oktoberfest, to name a few that GW1 "celebrated" - would need a lot of explanation to set them in those two cities.  Though, perhaps St. Patricks day, with its clovers and ale, could be set in the Grove as a celebration of the pale tree.  😆

Edit: An Aurene festival seems like it would just be an extension/reimagining of Dragon Bash.

Edited by Lyssia.4637
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

Now I'm curious: why would you move Wintersday to Elona? 🙂 

Wintersday and Halloween in GW1 took place in both Lion's Arch and in Kamadan, the main city in Elona, where you started from.  The lore said that the reason Mad King Thorn came to Kamadan was because he had an Elonian princess for one of his wives; there was never an explanation (in-game, that I found/remember; Danikat or another lore expert might be able to explain it) for why Wintersday took place there, but Dwayna and Grenth did the main event there as well as at LA.  There were other cities that were decorated and had events for both festivals as well, which would have lore, or at least precedent, for moving those holidays there; but those cities aren't in GW2.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

If you move a festival to Elona, that would leave out any players that don't have the latest expansion.  Keeping the festivals in core Tyria is the smartest move.

To clarify: I didn't propose moving the festivals, I said, in context with the OPs suggestion, that that was the only move justified by lore.  And while "keeping festivals in core Tyria" has been stated so much, it's become a cliche, it ignores the fact that what they did in GW1 was set the festivals in BOTH cities at the same time, which is what I would expect them to do again in this game, if they wanted to expand them in some way.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

37 minutes ago, Lyssia.4637 said:

To clarify: I didn't propose moving the festivals, I said, in context with the OPs suggestion, that that was the only move justified by lore.  And while "keeping festivals in core Tyria" has been stated so much, it's become a cliche, it ignores the fact that what they did in GW1 was set the festivals in BOTH cities at the same time, which is what I would expect them to do again in this game, if they wanted to expand them in some way.  

What you forget about GW1 is that Factions and Nightfall were not considered expansions to prophecies.  Prophecies wasn't required to play them.  HoT, PoF and EoD are considered to be expansions to GW2.  Expectations are different.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

40 minutes ago, Lyssia.4637 said:

But all chapters in GW1 are standalone. Not every player has prophecies, not everyone has nightfall. So they decided to bring the festival seperatly to several main citys, so the most player can still enjoy them.

In GW2 every single player has the core game. Everyone can enjoy the festivals, as long as they stay in central tyria. And to expand them into the expansions will only exclude some players.

Edited by Keymaster.7362
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Except this is totally off topic to the OPs actual suggestion... and you both are still misreading what I wrote.

Yes, all that is true.  No, I didn't forget. Again, I'm not proposing a move.  The OP wanted festivals in the remaining core cities.  I had two points: 1) more than six festivals is a lot, so moving a current festival is a more likely solution and 2) Anet would have to do some lore gymnastics to explain a move to another core city. The only lore in place already would ONLY support a move to the expansions.

Everything else you're reading into what I wrote is your projections, and a rehash of a tired old argument I'm not even making... and that is totally off-topic here.  Which is why this is the last I'll post on the subject.

Edit: Actually, I'm wrong, NOT all you wrote is true: there were, in fact, in GW1 festivals that, even in several cities, were specific to Factions and Prophecies, specifically.  But again, that's off topic.

Edited by Lyssia.4637
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

More festivals would be overkill. Adding to the festivals is the only feasible option. In the same way Festival of the Four Winds and Queens Jubilee were merged, we could have an Aurene theme in the Grove during Dragonbash.

I don’t really think we need to host festivals in all cities anyway since festivals are just filler between content drops, but that’s how I’d present it. 

• Like 1

Why not just... let the festivities spread? These people/cultures/player characters have been interacting with each other for some length of story time now just have an Irish bar- - er Charr bar host some stuff. Have the Sylvari excitedly putting their own spin on other cultures' festivals and run that at the time of the main festival. Like a festive side-quest. Is that not how  holidays operate in reality?  Samhain and Halloween? The different version of Christmas and Yule?

• Thanks 1

I'd welcome a mini festival. For example, a day or weekend where you could simply go pay tribute to a hero of that race or other dedication.  Largely it would be sylvari or charr celebrating, but as the commander you are invited.  A celebration of Ventari or Trehearne....a commemoration for Almorra annually or other celebrated hero.  Just something to get you to visit there, a participation trophy, and nothing extensive.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

I'd welcome a mini festival. For example, a day or weekend where you could simply go pay tribute to a hero of that race or other dedication.  Largely it would be sylvari or charr celebrating, but as the commander you are invited.  A celebration of Ventari or Trehearne....a commemoration for Almorra annually or other celebrated hero.  Just something to get you to visit there, a participation trophy, and nothing extensive.  

I really like those ideas! 🙂 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 2:56 PM, TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

Hey everyone. 

While there is like, close to no festivals for Sylvari because they are a relatively new race by Tyrian standards, Charr should have their Meatoberfest in their city. 

• Like 1

There are definately enough festivals at the current 6. I think a better idea would be to spread the current ones between the cities. The problem with that the theme of certain festivals would be hard to fit into Grove or Black Citadel.

In my opinion, the two cities (currently in use) fit well as a location for festivals:
- LA is one of the hubs, plenty of people spend a great deal of time there.
- DR has a lounge, so it has a bunch of people visiting relatively often.

• Like 2

On 1/19/2022 at 4:07 AM, NotTooFoolish.7412 said:

There are definately enough festivals at the current 6. I think a better idea would be to spread the current ones between the cities. The problem with that the theme of certain festivals would be hard to fit into Grove or Black Citadel.

In my opinion, the two cities (currently in use) fit well as a location for festivals:
- LA is one of the hubs, plenty of people spend a great deal of time there.
- DR has a lounge, so it has a bunch of people visiting relatively often.

Probably more so that Humans and Norn are the two most common race choices.

ArenaNet seems satisfied with a festival every other month. It allows them to herd players to specific content without having to have a brand-new release every month.

Edited by Minos.5168
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 3:22 PM, mythical.6315 said:

Why is it necessary for every city to have their own festival?  Does it make sense lore-wise for any of the ones that don’t have them to celebrate one?

That's what I was wondering exactly: could we have 2 new festivals, one in each of those cities, that are both fun and supported by lore? 🙂 I think it's possible, in theory that is.

• Confused 1