WvW Alliances will kill almost EVERY social interactions and friendships crafted over the past 9 years outside of your "main" WvW/Raid Guild and all Solo Players and small Guilds

to enhance the wrongness of the OPs comment: i actually met two roamers once again from a server that i left in 2020 thaha.

alliances cannot kill anything as they are not there. its just a beta testing sofar... stop beeing crybabies, people. we need a fix for the link system after all those years.

and in the final alliances, everyone that wants to stay together has the options to be together... idk why people have such issue with understanding this basic concept. if u chose the loner path, don't complain about it. you're not forced to anything.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 1/21/2022 at 2:17 AM, jul.7602 said:

Alliances are too controversial to be of any use to WvW in the long run. The Alliance rework grossly misunderstands the fundamental building blocks of WvW. The fundamental building blocks are neither guilds, nor servers, but the everyday casual pug. The vast majority of the people you see in WvW do not belong to a dedicated WvW guild, and many of them probably never will or ever have been in one. That is the reason why many people are not receptive to Alliances; because they never had a strong guild identity in the first place, and dislike like that they are being forced to identify with an apparent foreign quasi-guild like structure anyway. Now the pro-alliance people will constantly say, "but you don't have to join an alliance if you don't want to", or "if you don't like the experience, you should have joined an alliance", but this is where they make a grave misunderstanding.

People seem to implicitly assume that if you don't join an alliance, then you don't care who you are matched with or who you play alongside at all. This may be true in some cases, but the vast majority of people actually do care on some level about seeing that familiar face, even if its someone whom you may only randomly see once a month, if at all. People do find value in being able to take several months off from the game and return to same community with familiar players, tags and guilds, and some extra new ones. The current system assumes that players who don't identify in some arbitrary way that Anet has proposed, are like droids that can be happily stuffed into any random server. Clearly this is an erroneous assumption. 

So why don't these casual pugs just fall in line and join/create an alliance that best matches their identity? Nobody really knows the answer, because human social interactions are complex, unstable and often non-transitive. People can find value in being associated with other people, while simultaneously not finding value at all when choosing to associate with them. There is a whole discipline and deep theory about this that you can read in some academic journal, but the point is that you can't force these types of players into an alliance system. Instead of complying they will most likely drop the game instead, which is negative for the WvW community.

"The vast majority of the people you see in WvW do not belong to a dedicated WvW guild, and many of them probably never will or ever have been in one. "

You dont have to have one. You can still roam in alliances.

"seeing that familiar face, even if its someone whom you may only randomly see once a month, if at all. People do find value in being able to take several months off from the game"

So you dont play that much and want the game mode to be worked up the way you want it?

"The current system assumes that players who don't identify in some arbitrary way that Anet has proposed, are like droids that can be happily stuffed into any random server. Clearly this is an erroneous assumption."

....What?

"So why don't these casual pugs just fall in line and join/create an alliance that best matches their identity? Nobody really knows the answer, because human social interactions are complex, unstable and often non-transitive."

Are we in a Psychology class? What are you talking about?

On 2/1/2022 at 12:51 AM, Xenesis.6389 said:

Seems to me that Mag recreated their server community pretty well in the beta. They owned ebg as usual, and I saw players including ones not in their alliance say they had a great time at the end of the beta week, (unless someone from their alliance wants to chime in to say otherwise?). Is there a reason other servers can't duplicate this with their own server communities? do people think with these server communities they need to invite each and every individual on their server from all time zones even though they never ever play with half the players on the server? It's kinda funny when the biggest cloud server of roamers can get better organized than some of these other server communities.

Even with the limitation of dedicating one guild for the cause, I don't even think that's too much to ask considering you have five guild slots. You want to play with a dedicated wvw community but don't even want to dedicate one guild slot to that community? I don't disagree that a new guild slot should be added because of this change, like adding a free character slot back when revenant was released, frankly I wish they would answer that question right away to alleviate fears and let players plan ahead on that issue, are you going to add a guild slot or not? yes or no? But in the meantime, people need to stop groaning and start preparing if you want to keep playing with certain players.

Some people fear playing under new conditions, saw people saying they knew no one in the beta, ok, well usually in relinks you get a new server to play with, and like half your population is suddenly new, does that stop you from playing? do you start rping a hermit and not talk to anyone? do you stomp your feet and stop scouting? It doesn't really take long to get know people in your play times, you have eight weeks to shoot the breeze with people, maybe even join a guild or alliance together. This ain't five minute spvp speed dating, you're going to be together for eight weeks, to get to know the good and bad of people you will be playing with... and trust me.... sometimes eight weeks is too long.... at least you'll get a free redo shuffle after.

As for server loyalty and identity.. I get people want to be part of a "team", I get it, so do I, it's like sports you want to root for and be a part of your favorite team, for the most part guilds not servers tend to fill this role for many years now. Do players realize that most players these days address servers by their colors and not even their names anymore? I couldn't even tell you the reputation of half the servers anymore, only what guild might be on them, but even that changes so often now.

They've been bandwagoned off and on, their major guilds run off to the next fotm server, sent to be a link under host name, gets bandwagoned for cheap, goes back to being a host with 75% of their population turned over. Stackgate, beastgate, blobgate, magswag, yakscart, siegebend, nsppt, dankhaven, sos(beep), jqq, zombie coast, fort as(beep), ebay, wagonbrand, dragonwagon, garnished toast, maguumy bears, sanctum of rallybots, has little meaning anymore, because now you're known as GREEN BLUE RED.

Superbowl 2022, Bengals vs Team Blue!

It seems that you have missed the point. Guild pride is great, we all agree. We can have and had that small-scale team feeling in a hundred of other games.

WvW provides the unique feature to be part of a team of hundreds, even a thousand of people.

Enjoy 🙂

4 hours ago, enkidu.5937 said:

It seems that you have missed the point. Guild pride is great, we all agree. We can have and had that small-scale team feeling in a hundred of other games.

WvW provides the unique feature to be part of a team of hundreds, even a thousand of people.

Enjoy 🙂

A team of up to 500 is a team of hundreds.

You can't have a team larger than 500 because the developer has deemed the playerbase to no longer be stable enough to sustain that. Functionally, the number can change and has little to do with guild- or server functionality.

🙂

Edited by subversiontwo.7501

18 hours ago, kamikharzeeh.8016 said:

we need a fix for the link system after all those years.

(...)

and in the final alliances, everyone that wants to stay together has the options to be together

Alliances can be a way to reduce the population imbalance, but the population will never be fully balanced during a matchup-week or even a 24h day and how the player cap in alliances really works (i.e. member guilds have inactive WvW players, or guilds that are already an alliance member of a capped aliance get more players etc. etc.).  Anet has shown us some info how they want to implement some parts of Alliances, but they never showed us the whole idea/picture.

Some people think Alliances will save WvW, some people think Alliances will destroy WvW. No one can be sure about that at this moment.

Edited by Zok.4956

5 hours ago, subversiontwo.7501 said:

A team of up to 500 is a team of hundreds.

You can't have a team larger than 500 because the developer has deemed the playerbase to no longer be stable enough to sustain that. Functionally, the number can change and has little to do with guild- or server functionality.

🙂

Argh, use proper terms.

"Team" has been used by Anet to define thousands of players (the 2500 average). In the beta this was Griffonfall, Skrittsburgh, Thunderthighs or whatever they where called. Teams replace worlds.

Its the alliances and guilds thats limited to 500.

14 hours ago, enkidu.5937 said:

Enjoy 🙂

There's other games that lets you be part of large teams, ESO, Planetside, Warhammer, WoW. Now how many of those thousands do you actually play or talk with? how many are your actual friends? how many have been on the same journey as you playing on the same server community and leading it to glory the past nine years? The large scale isn't going away, you might see more random players show up in your world every two months(same with relinks), but that doesn't really matter, not unless you're guy smiley sitting in front of ebg keep 24/7 greeting every single player that comes by, you most likely don't know/play with the majority of players on your server.

You can still have your team/server/world pride in smaller doses with alliances, when winning actually has some meaning again. What we have today is nothing to cheer for, nothing to be proud about, half the servers don't even get to use their names, most enemies only bother to know you by color, we have communities turned over in the tumble cycle for years, we have the majority of servers who have no chance to win anything, we have servers kept in the highest tiers, we have servers tanking to avoid other servers, we have guilds collecting bingo numbers over 5-10 servers by now. Anet has complete control over who stays on top, who stays down, who's open, who's closed, who gets transfers and at what prices, who gets good or bad links. Does this sound like an awesome setting to play to win for the glory of your server? At this point I'd rather the randomized draft and see which two month community can really push their world to the top in a seasonal/tournament format.

Do you want winning and pride to mean something again? or do you want wvw to be stuck in this comfortable meaningless lifeless cycle of farming bags till the end? (you might as well be playing pve at this point).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

At this point I'd rather the randomized draft and see which two month community can really push their world to the top in a seasonal/tournament format.

which season/tournament format?

you will forever be a small fragment of a randomly reshuffled team every 2 months. if I understood correctly.

if you do not refer to a ranking today, unfortunately I predict that you will do it even less with alliances. it is precisely there that the weak point of the matter. then yes it will be like going directly to the pve.

On 2/2/2022 at 3:33 PM, Dawdler.8521 said:

Argh, use proper terms.

"Team" has been used by Anet to define thousands of players (the 2500 average). In the beta this was Griffonfall, Skrittsburgh, Thunderthighs or whatever they where called. Teams replace worlds.

Its the alliances and guilds thats limited to 500.

Not even Anet is consistant in this. The system is called word restructuring, the beta feature is called world-creation and the picture they released clearly states world and not team. However, I have heard them called worlds teams too.

More relevant, if you took two seconds and looked at the qoute in my post (which you later qouted), you can see that I just used the terminology that the player I responded to used, to keep it easier for him 🙂 .

It doesn't really matter in the context that you took the qoute from since both an alliance and a world would meet his vague criteria of a team, which he uses in place of server 😊.

On 2/2/2022 at 8:44 PM, Xenesis.6389 said:

There's other games that lets you be part of large teams, ESO, Planetside, Warhammer, WoW. Now how many of those thousands do you actually play or talk with? how many are your actual friends? how many have been on the same journey as you playing on the same server community and leading it to glory the past nine years? The large scale isn't going away, you might see more random players show up in your world every two months(same with relinks), but that doesn't really matter, not unless you're guy smiley sitting in front of ebg keep 24/7 greeting every single player that comes by, you most likely don't know/play with the majority of players on your server.

You can still have your team/server/world pride in smaller doses with alliances, when winning actually has some meaning again. What we have today is nothing to cheer for, nothing to be proud about, half the servers don't even get to use their names, most enemies only bother to know you by color, we have communities turned over in the tumble cycle for years, we have the majority of servers who have no chance to win anything, we have servers kept in the highest tiers, we have servers tanking to avoid other servers, we have guilds collecting bingo numbers over 5-10 servers by now. Anet has complete control over who stays on top, who stays down, who's open, who's closed, who gets transfers and at what prices, who gets good or bad links. Does this sound like an awesome setting to play to win for the glory of your server? At this point I'd rather the randomized draft and see which two month community can really push their world to the top in a seasonal/tournament format.

Do you want winning and pride to mean something again? or do you want wvw to be stuck in this comfortable meaningless lifeless cycle of farming bags till the end? (you might as well be playing pve at this point).

Ok, you seem to have made bad experience with a bad server. I feel you. Still missing the point though 😏

54 minutes ago, enkidu.5937 said:

Ok, you seem to have made bad experience with a bad server. I feel you. Still missing the point though 😏

Yeah I've had bad experiences on some servers. I'm seen the cliq's, I've seen the people who think they rule servers, I've seen guilds who think they rule maps or servers. 

Go ahead and explain to me the point I'm missing like I'm a dummy.

22 hours ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

Yeah I've had bad experiences on some servers. I'm seen the cliq's, I've seen the people who think they rule servers, I've seen guilds who think they rule maps or servers. 

Go ahead and explain to me the point I'm missing like I'm a dummy.

Sry, I don’t  want to call you a “dummy”. In my understanding, the TO is clear, reading his headline and opening post. No one questions the appeal of gathering in a small-scale guild and finding friends. This topic, as I understand it, is about the social aspects that we can have in WvW OUTSIDE of small-scale guilds. Provided by servers (and their dedicated contributors).

To answer your previous questions:

With how many ppl on my server I’m actually befriended?

-> not a single one

With how many ppl on my server I’ve played and interacted with over the years?

-> almost everyone, and I enjoyed it very much, even when they had a completely different mindset for playing WvW

I basically had the same bad server experiences that you had, but with a decisive difference:

We all might had bad experiences, and following your post, it seems they are usually caused by guilds and alliances of guilds, that tried to dominate and take over the whole server, to shape it to their own desire. At least for my server, all these attempts were successfully repelled by the united server community.

So imo, you provide another good example for the benefits of the current server system, and the possible doom that will come with the alliance system.

I understand the hope that things get more balanced with the rework. Instead, I expect the opposite (time zone stacking by alliances).

At least, your post tells me that you are a deticated WvW’ler, so lets hope that this mess turns out for good 😊

17 minutes ago, enkidu.5937 said:

This topic, as I understand it, is about the social aspects that we can have in WvW OUTSIDE of small-scale guilds. Provided by servers (and their dedicated contributors).

You will still find these social aspects. You might have to put in a little more effort in keeping those you are familiar with and wish to play with more instead. Why can't the 20 scouts on a server get together and make a guild to stay together through alliances? Mag did it, a bunch of guilds already did it. Why can't they invite all the usual roamers and defenders to join for that one moment to keep them all together for two months at a time? If these people are so committed to play together on that one server why can't they commit to one guild to keep that particular community together? (and lets set aside the guild limitation for the moment because anet hasn't confirmed or denied adding another slot yet).

Guilds and their players and relink servers, come and go from host servers very often, relinks have been on for six years already, did that kill the social interaction for the OP too? You get two months to know players(OP also mistakenly thought it would be weekly), it basically only takes me a day to figure out new guilds or commanders I'm running along with, how they push, when they push, their play styles are very telling from the first couple fights. Read the chat, you can see who's regularly scouting and defending. This isn't a dating simulator, we don't have to play 20 questions with every new person you come across before you go on a date to defend a camp.

Did they think about the opposite as well, where you're stuck with a server full of players you don't wish to play or interact with, but are unfortunately stuck with them for two months. The particular server I'm linked with I've had to put more players on block in two months than I did for a year on other server links, three resets in a row I had to turn off team chat because of all the garbage in it. The scout calls have been lazy, and doesn't seem like none of them want to learn to be better. My only option is to hard move, while I could have maybe been randomly sorted away from them last week at "relink" time. See being linked with mag for a good example of how other people feel about this.

At least, your post tells me that you are a deticated WvW’ler, so lets hope that this mess turns out for good 😊

99.9% of my time is spent in wvw, I hate pve in this game, it's a annoying, tedious, grindy, I've spent 20 years playing mmo's and this game ain't special in that regard. Wvw however is special, beautiful random fun that only exist in a few other games, that I only wish to see get more balanced, fair, and fun in every aspect for everyone. I don't like broken op skills/builds, I don't like uneven blobs vs small groups, I don't like the two strongest teams vs weakest team this game encourages, I loved being in the old 25v25 fights, hammer and anvil, frontline, backline, pick teams.

This game has pushed having more numbers as being the best solution to everything for nine years, I'm so tired of facing BG, I'm so tired of facing boon blobs without having a matching boon blob, I'm so tired of solo roaming and getting ganked by a group of four when I just wanted that 1v1 interaction. I want populations to be more spread out and even, I want something worth fighting for again, whether that be tournament and seasonal play, or working to be the top server/world by working together and not paying a bandwagon to get there. The new expansion does nothing for me, this alliance thing is all I have to look forward to.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I want populations to be more spread out and even, I want something worth fighting for again, whether that be tournament and seasonal play, or working to be the top server/world by working together and not paying a bandwagon to get there. The new expansion does nothing for me, this alliance thing is all I have to look forward to.

I share all your wishes friend. and I'm sorry you had some bad experience in some teams.

but it is not that the administrator locked the door and threw away the key. we have plenty of time for some corrections and please many players. let us find a compromise.

Let me explain.

excellent work with alliances, we give way to groups of close-knit guilds to always be together.

let's use them to fill the teams/servers. all new that we put in competition in a great tournament and that the best wins. in 12 months you deliver the prizes to the 1st 2nd 3rd, we reset and start over.

Is 12 months too long? let's do 6-month seasons then there will be more prizes to distribute.

I suggest adding a lot of work to reformulate the algorithm that builds our teams if we want a good balance.

I am afraid that more granularity is not enough to achieve a good balance.

• Like 1

People looking at it from a selfish point of view. While its understandable to be worried about the relationships we have built, this will also break up those server that have been maintained by a static population for years. A few years back, these forums were littered with delete Blackgate posts. 

Friendships will be fine, I still talk to people I met in WvW in 2012.

On 1/17/2022 at 10:56 AM, Zok.4956 said:

Does your server has big guilds that are not bandwagoners but feel as a part of your server community? Does your server has a community guild? A forum, TS3 or discord? My guess is: Servers where there is still some community left, will have those. Those are the ones to ask, if they will be forming and organizing a "server Alliance".  And then all players on your server could join the community-guild (or one your your bigger server guilds that will be part of the server-Alliance).

Sure, it is not the same as the old server communities. But it is better than loosing a community completely. Because Alliances will come some time. You don't have to like it but the best solution is to deal with it and to try to make the best out of it.

This is exactly what our server did for the previous betas, and will continue until release (unless there are major changes). And it worked just fine. Yes, there´s a 500 players cap then, but guess what: it really didn´t make a difference of what players from your original server you met in the public zerks. Oh, and btw: due to the 500 player cap (which is way below the maximum team-population) we still got matched with other bigger and smaller guilds from different servers (and even stayed connected even after the beta ended).

Where´s the difficulty to build up a guild of players you want to play with?
Or just simply join a guild, where "your people" are in?
Or (like i already mentioned) building up a community-guild for your pre-alliances server? (which is already happening on every server, which i know to have a pretty much stable playerbase)

In the end, nothing really changes, if you stay in your community that way. You just change your server-choice into a guild-choice. And btw: 500 people (which is the maximum size of a guild) is A LOT. You won´t even know every player in that guild, and you 100% don´t even know the majority of "your people" of your server by name (excluding commanders). 
Sure, every server currently has some people you know at least by name, most likely because they are very active community members, but from most people, you probably wouldn´t even notice if they leave the server anyway. 

• Haha 1

On 2/5/2022 at 3:53 AM, Mabi black.1824 said:

but it is not that the administrator locked the door and threw away the key. we have plenty of time for some corrections and please many players. let us find a compromise.

Let me explain.

excellent work with alliances, we give way to groups of close-knit guilds to always be together.

let's use them to fill the teams/servers.

Anet asked, twice, in 2016, about making smaller worlds to link to the host, which essentially would have worked like placing alliances on those worlds, the community said no, twice.

They waited another year and half before "announcing" alliances.

They waited another three years before actually putting work into the alliance system.

And now eight months later at the eve of getting it in place you want to take more time for "corrections"?

Meanwhile guild and player bandwagons have been rampaging and ravaging servers for near nine years.

Yeah let's take another year to consider the same proposal from six years ago.

This is turning out to be worse than government planning.

Well, you all better come in here every day and explain your proposals in greater detail, the time for delays is done, the work is being done, Armageddon is coming soon.

Edited by Xenesis.6389
  • Sad 1

Links came in when the population had already dropped in half, hence combing servers, after it happened it revitalized wvw for a while. Alliances will probably do the same. I'm sure if any of you have been sitting on some fat server for nine years it's all been roses for you, but not for like 90% of other players who had to put up with the bandwagoning.

Also guilds die off for like a half dozen more important reasons, commander gets bored and leaves, players get bored and leave, drama, ppt gets boring, fights get boring, meta is boring/unbalanced/garbage, new game new content to play, wvw barely gets any updates, least rewarding, winning means nothing. But sure, we'll go with links and now alliances will be doing the most damage to wvw at this point.

Edited by Xenesis.6389
  • Haha 2

hi xenesis,

if you think about it we will not delay the work of the developer even by a day.

they have already defined that they will fill their home teams with alliances, guilds, and individual players.

every 8 weeks they remix everything. well let them play together for a 12-month season, are they too many? ok then let's do 6 month seasons. and on that we create a ranking, on that we build a bit of competition.

it does not seem to me a big job or slow down the work in progress.

what is the alternative? are we drawing up a ranking of the alliance? and the single guild? and the single player? or if in two months someone throws you out of that alliance? how do we give some motivation in all this?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mabi black.1824 said:

what is the alternative?

The time period they've already stated will be carried over, 2 months. 

For links this is already a compromise between Anet and players - between the votes of 1 or 3 months it was a majority (almost 70% of the votes with monthly technically winning). Some even voted every 4 or 6 months.

Anet then picked 2 months because "a majority voted for more than 1 month". I think that they ultimately deemed 1 month too frequent to practically do manual relinks, they just didnt expect 1 month to win.

All the things you say, every concern... we've already been through it years ago. People prefered frequent relinks to get new friendlies and new enemies.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Mabi black.1824 said:

every 8 weeks they remix everything. well let them play together for a 12-month season, are they too many? ok then let's do 6 month seasons. and on that we create a ranking, on that we build a bit of competition.

The two months will be a carry over from relinks timing. As Dawdler stated, the community already voted on that years ago. Of course with an automated system they probably could easily change the times to whatever, that wouldn't be the real problem, the real problem is how well will the community behave and keep the worlds intact after a shuffle.

The whole reason we are going to have the shuffle is because over nine years the community has shown they will bandwagon and restack with no regard to server and population balance.

If there's no transfers then that cuts off one part of the bandwagon problem. But it will have to exist if you decide you want to extend the shuffle for extended periods of 6-12 months, because players that want to transfer to their guilds/alliances that are stuck on other worlds, need a window to do so, and believe me, players will abuse this if they can. Anet has mentioned that there will be limitations that depends on the world levels, but we don't know how restrictive the rules will be.

If transfers will exist then we're just going to end up with similar problems we have right now.

Also I feel like 6-12 months is way too long of a season period for a competitive mode. Back when we had the first two tournaments they were about 8-9 weeks, and players felt they were too long (maybe because the outcome was already set in their minds because of server population imbalance, who wants to slug through 8 weeks of ppt when bg gonna win anyways?), then they went with a 4 week format in the last tournament which I believe was better received.

Burnout also happened in all instances, maybe because of the short period and players played overtime, a long season could counter that as you wouldn't feel as pressured to go hard every day as you did in the short tournaments, but, if you're on a world that's going to end up in last but still getting matched against winning servers, that would suck (depends if they decide to run seasons like a sports season where matches are set schedule and not random depending on performance like we have it now for regular matches). But if you do real ranks, then you'll have to do scheduled set matches like tournaments.

tldr: depends on the community behavior and transfer restrictions.

Edited by Xenesis.6389
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

thanks to both of you for the information.

we will certainly have time for all the changes that will be necessary.

I read that they will keep a small margin of capacity on the teams they build for that has not had the opportunity to select their own wvw guild or it has been a long time that it does not connect. so they can safely block transfers.

since we are in a democracy I can almendo say that if we give ourselves a little more time, as you said, the constancy of a team comes into play, this in a tournament also has its importance. and then you can recreate some team spirit if you have more time.

Balance is certainly essential. same number of players on each team. if you are more skilled, if you are more organized if you work harder than me (time) then you merits to win nothing to say.

but if we don't have the same numbers then I have a hard time digesting it.

Edited by Mabi black.1824