[QoL] Reduce the loots

laykny.1894

Hello everyone.

I just passed 1 hour to sort all my loots (chests, equipments), to salvage items, to sell tons of materials, and i do that every week i play.

Maybe, for a future update, it will be a good idea to "simplify" the loots. Attention : not to "give more loots" or "reduce de amout of farming time to have legendary weapons".
Just : when we play, have less equipment to salvage, less "primary materials". Just loots the high level tradable materials, or non-tradable.

I understand the "lots of items" phylosophy in a "buy bags" game, but i think the great way of the MMORPG is not "complexify the loots". I work, i like to connect and play, not to "do my homeworks of GW2".

Thanks for understanding my bad english.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 10

Do you have one invisible bag equipped? At least 15 slots in each bag?

The reason I ask, is because even in DC where loot is dumped on your head in a great deluge, I never have issues with inventory management.

Always keep one blue, one green, and one yellow unid gear in your invisible bag. That way they’ll always stack there as you get them. Sent materials to mat storage regularly, and sell junk to vendors whenever you see one. 

When you’re ready to salvage, alt click drag from one of your unid stacks and type in an appropriate number for the amount of space you have. Identify, use salvage all from your salvage kit. The remaining unid in your invisible bag will be protected. Send mats to storage, eat the luck, repeat. Remember to leave one unid of each color in the invisible bag for future use.

Sounds like a lot of steps, but once you’ve done it once or twice you’ll do this super fast and keep on adventuring with nice, empty bags.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 5

You will,occasionally, get things that don’t go to mat storage and don’t vendor as junk, but these things are not so common that you can’t wiki and decide. Well, with the exception of the Mawdrey stuff in season two that clogs up your inventory if you keep it.

If you’re doing hearts in core maps, it’s good to get into the habit of checking when you’re done with the heart and junking/turning in any remaining “trophies”. Those are useless items only  there for whatever fetch and turn in quest you were just doing. Junk them while the heart is fresh enough to remember what they were for.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Clutter is a core aspect of the game.

I for one am looking forward to EoD's useless items to take up bag space™, to go along with my brandsparks, fossils, thorns, eyes of kormir, forgemetal, putrescence...

Hopefully they'll maintain the idea of sticking these great items into bags i have to open, and have the bags come from bouncy chests i have to open. Then i can clear up space to open them, then clear up more space to continue opening them once the overflow pops up.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 4

@laykny.1894

Gibson gave a very good description of how you can organise your Inventory. I just want to add that the base stack for Material Storage is 250 for each item and here it can be useful to at least buy 2-3 Material Storage Expander when those are on sale as you then can store up to 1000 (max 2000) of each item that can be Disposed from Inventory after you have Salvage those. Don't forget that items that you can not Salvage sometimes can be put into Mystic Forge and then you get an item that can be Salvaged like every other item.

There containers (chests) that also stack so you can also let those chests wait before you open them. You don't need to move those containers into special bags like unID items as those will not be Salvaged or anything, until you have open/taken out items.

Some map currencies can also be either be stored in Material Storaged or consumed (which can give Volatail Magic which will go into Wallet). All Transmutation Charges will also need to be consumed the same way as those map currencies and you can see them in Wallet.

When it is sale on permanent Salvage kit in Gem Store, buy at least one (Copper-o-matic) is one that is very useful for items without any Runes/Sigil and Runecrafter is another. I would not recommend to buy Silver-o-matic  as Runecrafter do much the same for little less cost (the difference between Silver-o-matic is just a few percent more chance for rare item and less for salvaging upgrades like runes or sigil).

On Permanent Salvage kit will also save you from having all those salvage kits with charges that you carry with you in Inventory and that way free up more bag slots. Same if you get at least one set of Permanent Gathering Tools that put into Shared Inventory slot when you are going to change character and put the same set there on your other character. This will save you from having to carry around min. 3 gathering tools which have a limited amount of charges.

From some achievement you can also get larger bags, but those will be accountbound or even soulbound and you have to craft them yourself because of this.

I use Invisible bag like Gibson mention and mostly 3-4 Craftbags as everything you pick up from Gathering nodes will go there first and the same when you salvage item and get mats. There are special bags that will first take Consumables which also can be useful as you then get items that are consumables in one place. The rest will more or less sort out of itself. Your starter bag with 15 slots can be used to store books or things that get from achievement etc. You don't need to keep books when you have finished achievement or related things as you often can buy back those at some Heart vendor, if you would need them later for some reason.

Lounge passes do also help as you then fast can teleport to Lounge and use NPC vendors for Junk, sell items that aren't worth to put into BL TP and list the rest at BL TP. The cheaper option is to use sPvP panel and go the lounge there or WvW Panel (Edge of The Mist). Use sPvP or WvW Panel again and you should return to where you where in Open World PvE or outside of Instance if you are doing story or something like that. In both sPvP Lobby and WvW Edge of The Mist you find much the same thing as lounge passes offer.

With these suggestion you should now have less problem with inventory management and it is also faster to salvage, dispose all mats, junk items when possible and sell the rest, and never have to discover you forget to bring enough salvage kit or gathering tool make also a large difference for how play. Remember that you can also use MS (when you have upgraded it take more stacks) like a large bank and sell stacks in one go when MS start to get full and that way get some Gold instead of selling smaller amount all the time.

• Like 6

The unidentified gear update was a huge improvement, definitely. It was a nightmare before then. There could still be more reducing of boxes within boxes and loot within loot, though. It's frustrating when you open up a box, just to get more boxes. It's like box-inception.

On a similar note, but unrelated to inventory clutter - A YouTuber mentioned that there's just way too many different tokens/currencies in the game, and I agree. There should be some sort of universal currency which can be applied to any map currency/token.

Edited by Zaoda.1653
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Zaoda.1653 said:

The unidentified gear update was a huge improvement, definitely. It was a nightmare before then. There could still be more reducing of boxes within boxes and loot within loot, though. It's frustrating when you open up a box, just to get more boxes. It's like box-inception.

On a similar note, but unrelated to inventory clutter - A YouTuber mentioned that there's just way too many different tokens/currencies in the game, and I agree. There should be some sort of universal currency which can be applied to any map currency/token.

Yea you mean like karma used to be and that would make people instantly buy what ever they want and not play the new content if its to grindy/boring for them 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Zaoda.1653 said:

Containers within containers make it possible to have more rewards and still only use one bag slot for one container, until you open that container. Some chests/containers can even be stacked, so I think you have to wrong idea as for how containers work.

They reduce clutter and make it possible to be open later while you aren't in combat or doing an event chain.

With the old system it was not uncommon to suddenly have "encumber" icon show up (you walk slowly and have less control) and a pop up that blocked everything until you at least deleted or sold items to make space in Inventory.

Nowadays this happens very rarely and in most cases one can avoid this by making sure that Inventory have bags that make it easier to see what you have that can be junked (oiled bags), that can be consumed or that is a chest/container that can be opened later or used directly and salvaged (most items that aren't UnID [which stack, if you follow direction above and keep them in Invisible bag slot] can be salvaged with salvage kits option for tier (ex. "up to" means that if fast to get tid of all green or blue items; rare and exotic is seperate and will only be salvaged if they have not a Superior Rune or Sigil in Upgrade - those you have to salvage one by one). The largest group of items are after all blue and green items - which also compact things. Items that have a worth like rare with Superior upgrades in slot is easier to see then before.

There are plenty of craftstation in game world and with the addition of Eye of The North from IBS, you can purchase craftstations instead of getting a bank vendor as craftstation give you same access to both Bank and Material Storage as that vendor. The only difference is that you have to have a crafter to purchase those craftstations. WvW did have craftstation, but some players abused it as access to WvW worlds have a limited amount of player that can be on the same world at the same time, which created ques for those only wanted to play WvW and not do crafting. That is why lounge passes is the best way to get the same feature, if you can afford to get one permanently (there are also 2 weeks keys that you can get from BL chest as random reward from doing map completion/farm BL keys from PS etc, if you don't want to pay for it with Gems).

At Craftstations you can "compress" materials when you reach the limit of stacks and store those next tier material for when you need it yourself or sell it (don't forget that there are some vendors in IBS which also make use of Material as token to get unlocked achievements etc).

Gold in this game is the base for global currency in this game and also the main reason why some items still need to be combined with map currency and a small amount of copper or silver. This is to prevent an overflow of massive increase of Gold in game over time.

There is also some festival token where you exchange different currencies into other, so I don't really see your problem with how currencies work. Add to that when unID items where introduced we also got Wallet which you can access directly from Inventory (small symbol in left corner) which didn't exist the way it do today where most currencies will go when consumed.

Any change like you suggest would have a global impact which would include Gem Store items as long we can use Gold to Gem conversion. That is why there is need to have currencies that are isolated to certain part of content like maps, dungeons, fractals, PvP and WvW as example.

Edited by ShadowCatz.8437
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Zaoda.1653 said:

That would defeat the entire purpose.  Map currencies are most likely the main driver in bringing players back to maps to keep them from being so empty. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Do you leave it piling up for a week like OP is doing? Anyone can be spending an hour or even hours sorting through loot if they leave it piling up long enough.

if I have left the inventory piling up for a week I would get the situation where inventory cleanup would take me whole minute, as opposed to 30 seconds.

Probably speaks more about my farming activity than anything else tho.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, laykny.1894 said:

Hello everyone.

I just passed 1 hour to sort all my loots (chests, equipments), to salvage items, to sell tons of materials, and i do that every week i play.

Maybe, for a future update, it will be a good idea to "simplify" the loots. Attention : not to "give more loots" or "reduce de amout of farming time to have legendary weapons".
Just : when we play, have less equipment to salvage, less "primary materials". Just loots the high level tradable materials, or non-tradable.

I understand the "lots of items" phylosophy in a "buy bags" game, but i think the great way of the MMORPG is not "complexify the loots". I work, i like to connect and play, not to "do my homeworks of GW2".

Thanks for understanding my bad english.

I've never had an issue with the amount of loot we get. If you keep on top of it while playing it stays manageable 

• Like 2