As EoD is set to wrap up the story, how many old timers here?

Come this February, I'll be hitting my 9th year anniversary with GW2. Coincidentally, this will be anniversary that concludes the story arc I set forth on 9 years ago. 9 years... It's hard to think that a game could actually become part of my life. Something I grew old with and have fond memories of. And soon, I'll be celebrating that end.

So what about you? How long have you been with Guild Wars? How do you feel, after all that time, to finally reach the end of the chapter on dragons? Are you planing any real-life or virtual celebration with your friends or guild to conclude the journey?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I've been around since late November of 2012, so I've almost managed to experience the hyped up launch of GW2. It's a bit unfortunate that I didn't get to experience the first Halloween and that one-time Lost Shores event, but I've had a fun time since.

As for the narrative, it's had its ups and downs, the rushed Champions and HoT especially being notable in that regard. I do think a lot more could've been done with all of the dragons and their champions, even Zhaitan despite him receiving the most time in the story via buildup thanks to the lengthy personal story. Same applies to most villain factions and their leaders; e.g. Gaheron and Faolain could've easily carried a living world season or two on their shoulders if given enough development.

As such I worry that the deep sea dragon's story will be rushed too as it has had the least setup out of all the dragons as we've yet to even see any of its minions. Just like I'm worried that most of the Unending Ocean lore setup since core Tyria (e.g. krait obelisks, abyssal prophets, the blue orb and why it prevents dragon corruption, the fate of the royal quaggan markissios heir, the truth behind Mellaggan's disappearance, and exploring more of the largos society and finding out what secrets Sayeh al'Rajihd and Trahearne shared that Trahearne couldn't tell us about) won't necessarily be followed up on while EoD focuses more on its new diverse cast of Canthan characters.

With that said, I look forward to finding out what EoD has to offer lore and exploration-wise. The new characters shown on stream so far have been intriguing even though I lament that we likely won't get to meet any cool NPCs wearing those fun Ministry of Purity armors since they want to move away from Ministry of Purity and the Am Fah/old Jade Brotherhood stuff. It'll be interesting to see what remains the same and what has changed in Cantha in the past 250 years, or rather since Cobiah Marriner's last visit to Cantha about a century ago, and how the writers juggle between old lore and their new lore while hopefully honoring some of the plots set up in Winds of Change. Would be cool to see Reiko Murakami, the architect behind the Ministry of Purity, either being ensconsed as a hero spirit in Tahnnakai Temple (if Usoku saw her as a martyr like much of Cantha apparently did at the time), or having been turned into an envoy to atone for her crimes similar to the role the envoys wanted Shiro to play originally.

I don't plan any celebration per se once the expansion launches. I'll just try not to rush with mounts as I play at my own pace and explore each zone carefully on foot at first like I've done with previous expansions for added immersion. Given what the devs have teased so far, there'll be lots of lore snippets and fun easter eggs and beautiful areas to be found throughout Cantha, so I'm sure the journey will be enjoyable as long as I remember to lower my expectations and understand that some things will necessarily not show up due to budget, story rewrite etc. reasons. 🙂

• Like 1

I bought the base game when it was sold at my local walmart...in 2012 or was it 2013? Idk..

I've enjoyed the game a lot, taken many breaks. MULTIPLE years in between playing..but i always come back.

I somehow feel like the game hasn't matured as much as i feel like i have. Like, the storytelling still feels a bit naive? I was like 14 when i started and now im 23. Some of the writing that has come out of icebrood and season 4 has been predictable.. I made a mistake of coming to the theorycrafting forums and read that somebody said Aurene would use joko because he couldn't ever die, and that DID end up happening. So..yeah, spoiled myself?

I guess in short, I've been a little dissapointed in the dragons=bad motive in every expansion. I miss the deeper relationships we used to have with NPC's like Tybalt and Trahearne.

I'm hoping we get something different with EoD.

Edited by vicky.9751
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Kossage.9072 said:

As for the narrative, it's had its ups and downs, the rushed Champions and HoT especially being notable in that regard

The story does have its moments, but after HoT I felt the writing was starting to spread too far and wide. When you combine that with quarterly releases and frequent breaks from the game, the fragmented story parts become difficult to reassemble. It's one of the qualities I liked about the original story and HoT. Both were focused with a beginning and an ending. I get the distinct impression that Cantha will introduce similar local problems like PoF did with the Elonians, in addition to our main mission of taking out the sea dragon. I just hope the expansion can conclude the story without having to resort to a year-long living world story to complete it (like Kralkatorik).

7 hours ago, vicky.9751 said:

I bought the base game when it was sold at my local walmart...in 2012 or was it 2013?

Back when we bought games in the store 🙂 GW2 was actually the last in-store game I ever bought, and I never even knew about the game or intended to buy it. I was just chatting up with the clerk and we started talking about favourite games to play. He brought up GW2 and recommended I try it, and that was that. It's kind of funny too because even after all these years, I have to say GW2 marketing is quite literally transparent. They supposedly have a planned Steam release, which I think might help them spread awareness.

7 hours ago, vicky.9751 said:

I was like 14 when i started and now im 23. Some of the writing that has come out of icebrood and season 4 has been predictable..

It gets worse the older you get 🙂 Watch enough TV and movies and you'll start to find common patterns in writing and culture adaptation that you can predict scripts with relatively good accuracy. The worst offenders are those who resort to deus ex machina. I use a stopwatch and when a situation drags on past the threshold, I know the writers are going to pull a Hail Mary to fix the story 🙂

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I find it difficult to give proper number at hand, maybe after work I can boot up gw1 to give me age of account.....

A Friend has shown me Factions when character select screen was already that icy mountain I was told was EotN one, but GWEotN was not available to purchase localy yet I think. It took then a year or so for news that they are working on a new game to reach my area, and I managed to catch a ride for pretty much all of the pre-launch in-development (by the time they started in-development press, I've managed to get fluent in english, I was a kid back then)

Got couple months late to the GW2 party tho, as my PC at the time could not handle the game (failing to meet minimals disqualified me from BWEs) An while I did manage to scramble a rig that could handle minimals before release, this drained all the funds I had at the time, so I couldn't afford buying the game itself. My oldest character was created during that Karka event when you could play the game for free during a weekend, managed to get myself the game at december 2012.

• Confused 1

I've been burned by expacks before, *cough* Trial of Obi Wan *cough* I'm just going to enjoy that gw2 has at the very least another few years of life left in it and enjoy the now, because all good things must come to an end...NGE. 

I'm excited to see the modern Graphic take on my favorite Expansion from gw1. Plus really happy for a winter release since I actually am very active in the fall, can't wait!

On 1/17/2022 at 4:53 PM, Nate.8146 said:

Come this February, I'll be hitting my 9th year anniversary with GW2. Coincidentally, this will be anniversary that concludes the story arc I set forth on 9 years ago. 9 years... It's hard to think that a game could actually become part of my life. Something I grew old with and have fond memories of. And soon, I'll be celebrating that end.

It will not be the end of GW2, though, just the conclusion of an overly lengthy story arc. Can't wait for new stories to be told, finally!

I have been part of the franchise since 2005, when GW1 released.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Been here since before Sergra started making surprise appearances at Crossroads. Back when PvP got you nothing except the satisfaction that some player wasn't able to finish their quest, and not even the Inn was a safe place to hide. Man I loved those days; when gem stores were just places you went to to get your gf off your back for a bit.

• Confused 5

Been here since GW1, I'm not excited for the end of the story, good riddance that it's finally over. Never should've introduced EDs in the first place. They were the worst most uninteresting thing they could have added to the game, there was not a single moment I enjoyed GW2's story. They all but managed to kill my interest in the whole universe. Oh I'll celebrate the death of this arc for sure.

If whatever comes next is just as bad, or they refuse to get rid of the current cast (Taimi, Kas, and so on), I'll never play a LS episode again and I'll finally be able to cut my last strings of attachment to the lore I cared so much about in GW1. I might stick around for the gameplay but that's it. I'll treat the rest as bad fanfiction or a parody.

Actually I'm more scared of what part of the lore are they going to ruin next once this is done..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

Get off my lawn you kids!

Think I joined just before or just after Nightfall, I forget. Pretty much at the end of my time with the franchise now. Not necessarily because of any negative feelings towards the game, but after so long, my hobby interests are diverting elsewhere from gaming and more to reading and rpgs. I simply lack the motivation to logon regularly if it all.

If I get EoD, it might be where I close it off as a regular time sink 

Not sure if time off counts against us. 😄

I joined Tyria after GW2 was announced, but well before betas and launch.  I played through all of GW1 while waiting.

I did leave GW2 shortly after HoT launched, and returned after PoF launched, so there was a several year break for me.

My son, who was 3 years old when GW2 launched, started playing with me when he turned 10, and is now 15. My daughter was 8 when she started playing, which consisted of running into walls in the main cities for a year or two. She is now 13, and plays, though not quite as often as my son and I do.

My son and I are excited for EoD. Though it doesn't matter much that it is the End of Dragons. It's just more story and zones and stuff to do, which is great. I do hope it the game will continue on for a nice long while into new stories and places to explore.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 4

On 1/24/2022 at 12:38 AM, patton the great.7126 said:

I've been burned by expacks before, *cough* Trial of Obi Wan *cough* I'm just going to enjoy that gw2 has at the very least another few years of life left in it and enjoy the now, because all good things must come to an end...NGE. 

I'm excited to see the modern Graphic take on my favorite Expansion from gw1. Plus really happy for a winter release since I actually am very active in the fall, can't wait!

Wow never thought I'd meet an ex-swg player on these forums, not to mention pre-cu

While what you say is true I am trying to stay hopeful with gw2 because I feel such radical changes are less likely these days😅

That said been heresince the gw2 betas and since factions expac in gw1, being the first region I ever played in this franchise I suppose that's why I have a bit of a soft spot for this particular expac that I thought would never come.

Edited by Serephen.3420

A friend of mine introduced me to GW somewhen in 2004. I've watched him playing a beta event and although the game had a strong focus on PvP (which is not my cup of tea) the tactical depth of the gameplay and the stunning grafics got me hooked since then.

I've seen many friends come and go and witnessed many lows and highs during all those years, but I never lost interest in the franchise.

Nowadays I really enjoy the roller beetle and the company of those maniacs who share my niche interest. I'm really surprised that a arcade racing game could have such a deep lore, tbh. 😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I played gw1 back in 2009. I miss seeing a full and bustling game in every city. Back in those days when u could form a group anywhere u went. Guild wars 1 made it so easy to hop into a group and do stuff. Been playing gw2 on and off since release. But really got back into it hardcore since the end of season 4. There was like 4 years I didn’t touch it once though. I use to compare it to gw1 too much and it would always make me unhappy and dissatisfied. Then I grew up and learned how to enjoy every thing I without comparing things and I really enjoy gw2 a lot now. It’s it own thing and it shouldn’t be like gw1. I like get it now. It never clicked for some reason until these last year and a half or so. Anyways, I’m super excited to see how Cantha transformed.  The only thing I do wish, was I wish it was easier to connect to other player, like it was in gw1. I wish party’s were easier to join and groups were more active. Lfg never has anything. 😕 

• Like 1

Been playing since GW.  Well before the first expansion. (I am too old to remember what year it was ha ha)  I started GW2 as soon as it launched.  As for the story, don't know don't care.  I never let the story get in the way of a good game.   Tell me what to kill, and I will kill it (hopefully), but I am not watching cutscenes or reading story.  I have been playing computer games for so long, there is only so much 'story' one can deal with in one lifetime.  😎

• Like 1

I started GW1 in 2008 or 2009 and played GW2 from beta.

I was a guild leader in GW1 and the head of our alliance from that game is trying to pull in all the old-timers to breathe some life into our now small, inactive guild for the EoD. Also reuniting with my old fractal group from back when we ran them every day.

i started playing gw1 in 2006 but i have had frequent periods of inactivity. didnt play gw1 at all from 2008 to 2011 and didnt play gw2 at all from 2017 to 2021. there some things about the upcoming expansion that i find really disappointing but i guess im still excited just to be here for an expansion launch, since i missed all of PoF and i missed the launch of HoT. looking forward to coop fishing/boating/turtling with my guild

Edited by Donut.6914

A friend of mine offered me the game when it was cheap so he had someone to play WvW with. At first I kind of roamed around, didnt know anything and left the game. Then I came back later, finished my first 80 and the new pain was adapting to the new mobs they added. I think I set my first objective in GW2 to have all the character in the game at lvl 80. I remember farming dungeon back when it was popular and each dungeon run would give you 1-1.5 gold, the good old day. Back when 800 gems barely cost 50-100 gold (at the time that was a big investement for me) .

I remember the hype I had when HoT was announced, it was like a new game for me (I mean we could glide and specialization seemed to offer a lot), but I was busy so I missed the launch by a week or 2. That being said I also remember having to pay for both the base game and the expansion, which kind of made me a bit salty. HoT was eventually a fun experience. I think I took another break afterward, just login for the living stories, completing them and then waiting for the next story.

I did that several time, sometime sticking with the game longer than usual, sometime leaving quicker until PoF was announced. This time mount were introduced and new spec. I was skeptical that mount would drastically change the game and make them a must have, while having to purchase a DLC that would probably be even more expensive than HoT but it turns out the price was pretty honest and GW2 went F2P so all I had to pay for was the expansion. I did try the beta spec and enjoyed them. I think they also allowed us to try the raptor during the beta, which confirmed my though on mount. When PoF released, I had a lot of time to play and enjoy the game, which is what I did.

And after completing PoF I took another break repeating what I wrote above. GW2 has always been like that game that is sitting on your PC, taking up some space on your HDD but you never delete it just because at some point, you know you'll come back to that. And after trying out other MMORPG such as BDO or PSO2NG, that is when I realised that GW2 is actually the MMO I was looking for without knowing it. No monthly fee subscription, no broken item locked behind a cash shop, conversion gold --> gem, new stuff to grind for that doesnt make your current stuff irrelevant and so on....  That may sound exagerated but for me GW2 isnt just a MMORPG I enjoy, it is the MMORPG that made me realize what I wanted in the MMORPG genre. It isnt perfect, but it is closer to my perfect MMO than many other MMO I played before. So when EoD will be release, that will means more new content in a game I enjoy which is fine with me

• Like 3

I'm here, from beta weekend and even a bit before Gw2 messed with Gw1 a tiny bit. (Didn't get far, like lv5 lul) I've had my ups and downs with this game. Joy and anger, a lot of anger. Man, that guy is really, really angry. However, it's my home at the end of the day. I can't think of another MMO I've poured as much love and effort into playing. I do wish I could go back and redo a lot of things. So much time wasted in pvp that amounted to nothing but frustration. That rigged ranked nonsense, the rewards I got weren't even worth it. No one cares when I pull out my season pvp titles, they just give a dry "oh neat" and go on with their day. I wonder what it would be like if I spent that time in pve, would I have friends instead of enemies? Accolades and achievements actually worth something?

I hated HoT, but I enjoyed PoF, despite having to kill Papi Balthy, though I enjoyed our duels. The story was ham, but at the end of the day I didn't mind as much. I guess as a person I've relaxed and started to appreciate whats here. I've poured 5k hours into FFXIV, and while I enjoyed that game, it's world doesn't feel anywhere near as alive as Gw2's does. Everything is so dynamic, even if it is the same events happening in a zone, it still feels more fluid then FATES. Plus, seeing people out and about in the world rather then in instances adds a bit more of a social element. Always a treat passing by someone and cracking jokes and being stupid. Regardless, I love this game as much as I hate it and I hate it a lot so that also means I love it a lot. I really hope EoD improves upon the game, I hope it succeeds.