Anet has wasted their opportunity [Merged]

Am I the only one that considers what a wasted opportunity this was for Arenanet to promote this expansion big time? I have seen no trends, no news, no more Live events, and content creators are just a few, the biggest streamers never surpasses 300 viewers. While in FF14, they don't even have to market the game. The game makes news on its own, not being able to be played for being so successful.

They needed to bring out claws and teeth for the community these last months, and this has not been the case.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 6

I think it is odd.

But on the flip side, with the semiconductor shortage, they probably don't want to run into the same issue as FF14 did.  Nothing is worse for a release than a playerbase unable to access the game.

So I think if you play, or have played, GW2, you are probably fully aware of the expansion.  And GW2 server population is in a solid space right now.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I would rather not have servers die as well, the phasing of zones is already a problem. I was trying to get this event on a map for PoF and could not do it, because the server was stuck in a time loop. I needed to wait 90 min for an event, but the area would empty after 30, 5 hours later time did not move at all on the server- as it would kick me out, or it would lack players to do it

More players would only make the problem worse, since it would create multiple instances that are empty and destroy the flow of the game

• Confused 7

2 hours ago, jasepo.1527 said:

Am I the only one that considers what a wasted opportunity this was for Arenanet to promote this expansion big time? I have seen no trends, no news, no more Live events, and content creators are just a few, the biggest streamers never surpasses 300 viewers. While in FF14, they don't even have to market the game. The game makes news on its own, not being able to be played for being so successful.

They needed to bring out claws and teeth for the community these last months, and this has not been the case.

You want Anet to create a lot of hype? Tell me, what game lived up to hype?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Bakeneko.5826 said:

Not to be a kitten, but there have been games who lived up to hype:

- World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King

- World of Warcraft: Legion

- Valorant

- Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty

- Overwatch

etc etc

Now, what happened later is a completely different thing (lack of support or a complete change of direction), but those games definitely lived up to the hype they produced.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Bakeneko.5826 said:

You don't have to look very far, look FF14 Endwalker, many believed it wouldn't surpass Shadowbringers in terms of quality and narrative, and it did, it lived up to the hype and even surmounted it. And what's more, we are expecting MORE. Why? because the audience know what they can do, and we know how the patch cycles go.

What Anet story hype me the most? LWS4. I don't know what came into the minds of those writers but it was so good that it is beyond me what happened with IBS after. If they had a plan.... No matter semiconductors, no matter pandemic, they story would've been delayed, but the quality would be maintained.

Edited by jasepo.1527
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, jasepo.1527 said:

FF14

Never seen any hype for it. Maybe in FF14 community, which is fair.

3 minutes ago, ysnake.3619 said:

- Valorant

- Overwatch

Every single game received quite a bit of kitten for one thing or another. WotLK "ruined" TBC, Legion was decent, but still community said it was meh. Valorant never lived up to hype, it was CS clone with heroes, it release at CS clone with heroes, it is CS:Hero Offensive, it didn't live up to hype, it delivered what it set out to deliver. WoL and Overwatch had Blizzard touch, so... I guess? I was pointing more to Cyberpunk et co. That is games, that were not made by Blizzard when it still gave a rat behind about games.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Have to admit, I'm a bit baffled by the total lack of advertising. Sure, if you're playing this game already, you know about the expansion and are (probably?) looking forward to it, but what about people who aren't playing the game already? This isn't the end of the story or the game as a whole, so why the lack of hype and advertising? It's kind of odd.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Batel.9206 said:

but what about people who aren't playing the game already?

Why would they care about the expac of a game they do not play? Did you care about Shadowlands? Fafurion? insert random MMO expac you don't play here? They need to know game exists to begin with and get involved in general.

22 minutes ago, jasepo.1527 said:

All media outlets are talking about it

Dunnoh, my news feed is MS widget with Eurogamer, never saw FF14 there, not really reading PCGamer or other articles, besides escapists Zero Punctuation

Is the EoD expansion not mentioned by all MMO streamers as an upcoming release? Are not the gaming "magazines" listing it as something coming out? I see ads for EoD, but suppose that is more Google's doing than Anet's.

I think if anyone is interested, the news that it is coming is out there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

Is the EoD expansion not mentioned by all MMO streamers as an upcoming release? Are not the gaming "magazines" listing it as something coming out? I see ads for EoD, but suppose that is more Google's doing than Anet's.

I think if anyone is interested, the news that it is coming is out there.

MMO is very niche genre to begin with, and then you have big boys: WoW, with current blizzard drama, GW2 with it's  expansion is not as hot of a topic, as one of the best past studios going up in flames slowly

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

A nice, kind, caring and loving FFXIV player would probably tell you "then go play that game" so... then go play FFXIV.

If you think FFXIV doesn't need to create news and market itself you're delusional, the whole "success" of FFXIV is based on creating fake hype and paying media outlets and streamers to attract new players since a large portion of players do not stay on this game, it has a massive turnover rate. A lot about FFXIV is based on lies and manipulation.

Hell the producer himself has been throwing "letters of the producer" for years where he speaks for hours about nothing while showing printed arts marked as "CONFIDENTIAL" and people are like "ooh aah, he's such an amazing guy! What would the world do without him? What would I do to pass the time while I afk in town waiting for weekly reset on my 40$ mount with my skimpy cash shop outfit if he wasn't here to talk about what's coming up next and how much he's been working without ever eating for ten years to provide us with this absolutely wonderful MMORPG, this paragon of gaming experience -that has been delivering the exact same things for ten years all the while dumbing everything down-? Oh I have a customer for some cyber, sweet."

XIV hasn't lived to the hype, ever, never will, pretty much no game does. Hype is created, fake, made up and self-fed, people like to believe and belong, sheeps like to follow and belong, then start believing too, they feel that it makes them exist.

Is Anet handling the release of EoD perfectly? Of course not, but I would take Anet over Square Enix and that Yoshida guy anytime and that's coming from someone who has been playing FFXI (the only good and real FF MMORPG, never marketed) since 2003 and FFXIV on and off since 1.0.

And for the record I left FFXIV to come back to GW2 while "everyone" was supposedly moving to FFXIV, I didn't need any hype or news to make the move. And I'm glad I did considering how lazy Endwalker is, GW2 is where the fun is. And at least we have a nice and responsive customer service here.

Edited by vanfrano.1325
format
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Batel.9206 said:

but what about people who aren't playing the game already?

Not really the target audience for EoD, are they? 

In fact Anet would probably be wise to promote the free GW2 instead... the expansions then sells themselves. A new free GW2+HoT combo, with PoF+EoD becoming the new single expansion package would probably be best.

• Confused 2

Honestly, there’s nothing in this expansion that is going to attract new players or bring back old ones. The e-specs aren’t very good compared to the others, it’s hard to even understand the point of most of them, and the big features, like turtle and fishing, mean nothing to people that aren’t already playing. Imagine if any other major MMO that you don’t currently play announced a new mount and fishing as major features, would you really care?

New legendaries are also not a selling feature for new or returning players, since it’s not content they are likely to bother with. 

Edited by Monarc.9726
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

To be honest I’m not sure why I’d be that fussed about their marketing. I know about it. I know about the release and anyone I know who I might play with does too. For me, that is all that matters.

It’s the end of a story arc for a 10 year old game that’s doing pretty well for itself in a competitive market without having to spend huge sums of money on marketing. I’m not sure I understand the obsession round another business’ marketing when I’m sure they know what they’re doing with that side of things better than us.

Im pretty certain they’ve grabbed a whole load of returning players as well with what info is out there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Anet always had a bad marketing departement anyway. That is something they have to improve.

That being said, I didnt know FF14 didnt even have to market their game. If it wasnt for my 2 cousins and my close friend playing the game, I wouldnt even know FF14 existed, let alone it is an actual MMORPG. If you're a fan of FF14 you would most likely know about the existence of a DLC but for anyone who doesnt play or doesnt have friends constantly reminding you that they're waiting for the DLC, you probably wouldnt even know its existence in the first place. And on that point FF14 isnt much different than GW2.

4 hours ago, ysnake.3619 said:

Not to be a kitten, but there have been games who lived up to hype:

- Valorant

- Overwatch

etc etc

I will put WoW and Starcraft aside because they fit the small similarities I wrote above, only Overwatch could fit into that list. Well I should say that with a grain of salt because for a moment YT was plagued with Overwatch videos spawning in your recommendation even though you never ever cared about the game, thus creating artificial hype. Valorant was never hyped at all, in fact Riot game paid some streamer to stream their game and released very very few keys allowing a few player to try the game. It created an artificial hype but once it was released, maybe you would have a few people here and there mentioning Valorant but it stops after barely 2 days. 

I will end on the few comment I've seen (not necessarily in that topic)  regarding EoD, basically saying that EoD is just "GW2 with a bit more content".  I honestly failed to see how the fact that EoD is just GW2 with more content is a bad thing. As far as I know I AM playing GW2, not WoW, not FF14, not BDO or any other MMORPG. Why would I want EoD to pretend it is another MMO ? It is like a few years before when the trend was around battle royal and Borderlands 3 was announced, some "journalist" complained Borderlands 3 is just Borderlands 2 but bigger. GW2 despites its flaw remains good enough for people to stick to the game and why would Anet make drastic change that would turn the game into something it isnt. That is a big gamble in which I dont think they'll end up winning the bet. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jasepo.1527 said:

Lol this is but one of MANY missed opportunities. The time for GW 2 to expand and innovate and to avoid its inevitable closure has long passed. The crew-size has been decimated. Its reputation littered with scandals. Quality has nose-dived. Nearly every opportunity missed. No one left there to drive a true vision or inspire. The team is dwindling and deflating every few months and more and more lesser positions are now running the leading positions. Worst of all... their direction has ZERO intention of doing anything differently or improving anywhere. Only doubling and tripling down on everything they have done wrong. That assures the final nail in GW 2's coffin.

There is literally no hope for GW 2's future. This "expansion" if you can even call it that is the last breath of a dying game and development. It had so much potential but unfortunately the wrong hands to carry it to that potential success.

However, we are in a new age now where MANY new MMORPG's are arising and it's about time something finally includes, replaces, and even does better all the things we loved from GW 2.

Edited by Cynova.1236
  • Like 6
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 4

34 minutes ago, Cynova.1236 said:

Lol this is but one of MANY missed opportunities. The time for GW 2 to expand and innovate and to avoid its inevitable closure has long passed. The crew-size has been decimated. Its reputation littered with scandals. Quality has nose-dived. Nearly every opportunity missed. No one left there to drive a true vision or inspire. The team is dwindling and deflating every few months and more and more lesser positions are now running the leading positions.

There is literally no hope for GW 2's future. This "expansion" if you can even call it that is the last breath of a dying game and development. It had so much potential but unfortunately the wrong hands to carry it to that potential.

However, we are in a new age now where MANY new MMORPG's are arising and it's about time something finally includes, replaces, and even does better all the things we loved from GW 2.

Can you give some examples of these many new mmorps?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Personally I think that some people just look at the marketing the wrong way.
Taking in consideration that ANet is in no where near the equivalent with Square Enix, who is a Major 3A company, nor in financial or the staff numbers.
You should look the promotion of the game going more private, mouth to ears.

At least that's how I came to learn about this game 7 years ago.

I used to pay WoW Monthly for 7 years at that time, and jump off everything because those people I knew managed to sell it to me.
---------------
Now looking at FFXIV Endwalker Ads, I got 15 in a rows while watching Twitch and YouTube for content which had absolutely zero relevance to that MMO, which ended up just making me having even less interest.

I am not gonna lie, I did try FFXIV until the beginning of Shadowbringers, but somehow it never caught how much more touched I was with GW2.

---------------
GW2 is still managing, through the patches, festivals and the years; WITHOUT a Sub Fee, and absolutely workable FREE-To-Play Model if you are into that.

And all that with the bare minimum Advertising.

I still think in that eye I think the game is doing rather fine.

Yes it would be nice to increase if they are into bringing more people, but I don't think it is an absolute need.

GW2 is more like a home for those who found it, rather than trying to get the biggest party in the MMO region.

EDIT: For the Records, GW2 has been offline, in all the current 9 (almost 10) years, only 4-5 times at best.

With no need to shut downs servers for patches or expansions delivering. All you need is to reset your launcher, not a full 24-hours prep like all the BIG NAMES loves to do.

Edited by KurokouNekoki.7891
Extra Info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2