Anet has wasted their opportunity [Merged]

On 1/18/2022 at 5:02 PM, Dawdler.8521 said:

Not really the target audience for EoD, are they? 

In fact Anet would probably be wise to promote the free GW2 instead... the expansions then sells themselves. A new free GW2+HoT combo, with PoF+EoD becoming the new single expansion package would probably be best.

That is really not smart for the health of a game. In order for a game to thrive and have the ability to produce new content more than once in a blue moon, content that is quality you need interest in the game not just from the same stale playerbase, but new blood. Thats how you grow and profit. FFXIV advertises I saw one just last night streaming on my TV. I thought.. why dont GW2 do this with EoD? The playerbase is stagnant without new players.

On 1/18/2022 at 9:40 PM, DarcShriek.5829 said:

This game has been dying for over 9 years now.  Run for your lives!

They sarcastically said the same thing about wow... gee look where that is now.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Tiviana.2650 said:

They sarcastically said the same thing about wow... gee look where that is now.

I think you missed a part, where workers, esp. females we abused in acti-blizz to the point, where lead game devs left one after anoher and games were run by board of execs that wanted money printing machine. From the looks on it, unless NCsoft goes full 3rd reich on Anet, we are fine

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

On 1/19/2022 at 8:09 AM, Bakeneko.5826 said:

Never seen any hype for it. Maybe in FF14 community, which is fair.

Every single game received quite a bit of kitten for one thing or another. WotLK "ruined" TBC, Legion was decent, but still community said it was meh. Valorant never lived up to hype, it was CS clone with heroes, it release at CS clone with heroes, it is CS:Hero Offensive, it didn't live up to hype, it delivered what it set out to deliver. WoL and Overwatch had Blizzard touch, so... I guess? I was pointing more to Cyberpunk et co. That is games, that were not made by Blizzard when it still gave a rat behind about games.

WotLK most definitely lived up to the hype, with NO ONE saying it 'ruined' TBC, which was regarded as much worse.

Seriously, you could have picked Starcraft 2, which could never live up to the hype, but you went and picked the one game which truly delivered?  Mindboggling.

• Like 1

This game has been out for years. The chances advertising will yield enough new players to make a ROI on the marketing costs is minimal. Those that left the game out of boredom will very likely hear about the expansion and come back to check it out, or at least read reviews before purchasing.

Word of mouth is, and has always been, the best advertising. The nice thing about it is, it's free.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Other than what was done through the game's story, there really hadn't been much done to hype people up for the new expansion. End of Dragons does seem really interesting and does seem like it'll be a blast to play, but with barely anything to go off of, I do worry a bit it'll not meet expectations. I'm not going to be one of those players that straight up say it'll be bad because, honestly, that's a bit of a kitten move to both the players who are excited for the expansion and the devs but I do hope I'm not the only one that is just a bit worried about how the new expansion will go.

Other than that, though, I am, genuinely, excited to see what GW2's version of Cantha will be like and how all the e-specs will play out. From what I've tried, Specter seems to be rather fun, same for some of the others, however flawed they may be. Some felt questionable but I assume they're tweaking them to be better.

Edited by LittleSoftTail.8405
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

I really don't understand this "hype" idea. People seem to use it in a lot of different ways, ranging from a tendy term for conventional marketing to the company telling you how you should feel about their product to somehow actually making you hyper-excited for it from the moment it's announced and then maintaining that until it's released, which thankfully sounds impossible because otherwise it would be exhausting.

But if you mean they've not told us enough about it I'm not sure what you're expecting. We've had a 2 minute trailer, preview livestreams for 3 of the 4 maps (and the 4th one is coming soon), previews and in-game betas for all the elite specs and the siege turtles, a livestream about fishing, in-game build up to the start of the story and recently (since their press embargo finished) a bunch of articles on gaming news sites about all the expansion features. We do know there's at least 1 other mastery they haven't told us about yet, which is also getting a livestream later this month, but I think that's it.

You also said you're genuinely excited and it looks really interesting. Is that not enough?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 3

16 hours ago, Faridah.8431 said:

I'm still waiting for an epic in-game trailer like what we got for HoT and PoF. So far we still have what...bubbles?

Going by past releases, first teaser is in-game "cool" trailer. No idea why we didn't get to see it... Stories won't be connected?  Beginning of new story saga? Who knows