Question by super super super casual wvw player

Hi—

I play wvw super super super casually. The first couple of years I played I played wvw maybe once a week, very badly. After that it dropped to a couple of times a year. I still like wvw but honestly can’t, for various reasons, play it very intensely and am not looking to do so. I’d like to continue to dabble a couple of times a month to a couple of times a year. 

feedback I’m getting on Facebook suggests that roaming and following a tag is definitely the way to go right now. I agree. I don’t really have a wvw guild and don’t need one right now. 

i didn’t play the beta because I heard it was for serious wvw players but I have a question for those who did. 

How does a casual player like me, who doesn’t want to commit to wvw missions or regular scheduled play, participate in wvw under restructuring? Do I choose my PvE guild that doesn’t play wvw? Do I select no guild? I’m kind of confused. Will I still be able to see the tags? Or is this style of play dead?

thanks

Edited by WaveIn.4091

Beta isn't just for "serious wvw players".  It's just testing a new way teams are formed.  The "serious player" part is if you want to dedicate your time to a "serious guild".  Otherwise there is basically no change to your experience as a super casual player.

If you haven't played in awhile you get to pick a team on the "World Restructuring Beta" panel, which can be found at the bottom of the WvW UI (pressing B).  It's like picking a server formerly.

If you have played recently you may already have been placed on a team automatically.  Just enter WvW and you're good to go.

You don't really need to pick any guild.  That's only if you have a guildmate you want to play WvW together with.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Beta isn't just for "serious wvw players".  It's just testing a new way teams are formed.  The "serious player" part is if you want to dedicate your time to a "serious guild".  Otherwise there is basically no change to your experience as a super casual player.

If you haven't played in awhile you get to pick a team on the "World Restructuring Beta" panel, which can be found at the bottom of the WvW UI (pressing B).  It's like picking a server formerly.

If you have played recently you may already have been placed on a team automatically.  Just enter WvW and you're good to go.

You don't really need to pick any guild.  That's only if you have a guildmate you want to play WvW together with.

Great. So I could, in theory, play WvW with my PvE guild. We never have. They’re on a different server, that’s full. That’s slightly disappointing— I’ve played with people from my server (to be fair mostly a long time ago) and enjoyed the team chat there even if I don’t really know anyone. Feel at least some server loyalty. But since wvw hasn’t been my main thing, my feelings on this aren’t as strong as someone who plays often, clearly. 

Have fun with the restructuring everyone, and see you around as the teams are mixed up every 8 weeks, sometime. 

Just now, Chaba.5410 said:

Only if your PvE guildmates also select that guild for WvW.  They might have a different guild for WvW that you are not in.  You'll have to ask them.

I haven’t asked— and it actually would be fun to play with them. I don’t know them WELL either but we do hang out during guild missions most weeks and chat some of the time. So it would be fun. 

But you’re probably right if they play wvw seriously they likely have a wvw guild… 

1 hour ago, WaveIn.4091 said:

But you’re probably right if they play wvw seriously they likely have a wvw guild… 

Which….  They might invite you to, in order to allow you to select that as your WvW guild.  It’s worth asking about.

Many of us have guild mates who aren’t crazy fanatical about WvW, and only play infrequently.  But when they do, they like to play with us.  Give it a whirl.  Getting better in WvW and having fun there can be helped by people you enjoy playing with.  

good luck!

• Like 2

The Beta is not directly focused on the dedicated players by itself. However, the dedicated players are (for obvious reasons) focusing more on the beta since they want to avoid getting split across different teams. That´s pretty normal if you ask me. 

The main focus is (as others already said) currently to get the sorting algorithm for the system working, and when that´s the case expanding into more features (like alliances of guilds, matchmaking, seasons etc.). Currently we are pretty much only searching for bugs to fix. That´s it (at the moment). 

On the question of how you want to play (both, for the beta and when it´s gonna be fully released): 
that´s totally up to you. You can join as "free agent" which will get placed into a team pretty much randomly, which could be fine if you are not really engaging with any community (and don´t plan to do so). You could also look for a guild to play together with others, since not all WvW-guilds are progress-orientated. There are lots of playstyles (solo-/small group-roaming), zerging (public), or progressive raiding (which i would assume the majority of dedicated WvW-guilds do). It´s also likely that the currently community-guilds of the servers will stay after the launch, so you could also just join a community-guild if you want a more stable group of people which you are only loosely connecte with. 

You could also just sign up with your main guild (the guild you play the most with, independent of if it is WvW or not) and look there for players that also just play WvW occasionally, but not intensive. If you convince them to also choose that guild, you will probably have a high chance to play with them if you ever choose to peek back into WvW. 

Also (even though i already said it) as a little reminder: what we are testing is just the very VERY basic system which world restructuring will be based on. It´s very far from complete (as we´ve seen in the beginning of this and the previous betas) and it´s gonna take time until it´s finished. Also a reminder (as people often forget): It is NOT tied to the release of End of Dragons, so there´s still plenty of time to decide which route you want to go. 

• Like 1

I had a great time playing tonight with guild LGBT. Thanks to them for letting me play! 

the confusing part is that I had selected guild BOOK. I have never previously played wvw with either guild and have only played PvE missions with BOOK. 

So I was theoretically placed on the wrong team, but had a great time. 

Edited by WaveIn.4091
Redacting personal details