PvP is trash in this game, I hit Plat on a F2P account in 48 hours without fighting a single person

Jayce.3921

I made a F2P account, ran a F2P Thief Condi build and all I did was run from side node to side node. 

In about a day or two of playing constantly, I placed into Gold 2 and just hit Plat this morning.

Every single game, I didn't teamfight. I literally just put on a YouTube video, ran to one side node and waited and ran to the other. 

When I was forced to fight, I go invis and wait and then decap when they leave. I just keep repeating this and forcing them to come to me until my team wins fights.

I literally hit plat in less than 48 hours and I didn't even play the actual game, just AFK capping nodes.

This game's PvP is a joke, on Reddit there was a guy openly bragging about his bots hitting Plat and all he did was just make a simple Necro bot that spams 3 - 4 ability rotation, literally that's all it takes to beat the average player in PvP in this game.

I thought maybe high-end PvP is where it's at, but all the GW2 channels on YT are dead. The Twitch community is even worse, actual 20 viewer PvP Andys who lose matches to bots.

And i'm sure 99% of you don't watch GW2 PvP content, but most of it is incredibly boring and cluttered. No one has any clue what ability is doing what, the casters aren't mentally fast enough to keep up with call outs and the entire screen looks like a rave of random flashing effects. 

There's no hope for this game mode and honestly it makes sense why Arenanet abandoned it completely. 

• Like 21
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 2

Anet didn't abandon PvP because things are this way, things are this way because Anet abandoned PvP. Also, how this scenario looks depends on how you view ranks.  Considering how the system works, the low player base, and general disinterest in PvP I would put low/mid Plat as "average" or just slightly above. Comparing ranks in this game to other competitive games I've played with ranks I'd probably just shift down each rank. What a plat player is in this game would be a gold in another, gold in this game is silver in another, ect.  Take any popular sport and imagine if you nerfed the popularity into oblivion. The "peak" players in that case would be no where near as good as what you see in professional sports today. You would be lucky if the pro players in that situation are much better than highschool players now days. Same concept. 

People don't put the time and dedication into this game that it takes to "git gud" and I don't blame them, I'm among them in fact. It's just not worth the effort. There is just no scene around it and most talk involving it is just something negative. Like you mentioned a lot of content creators have abandoned it which in turn makes it less accessible. Sure, there are still a few places you can get some general "getting started" kind of guides and some build overviews here and there. That's no where near to the degree other "healthy" pvp games have. Content like that is what gets many players interested, helps them learn, and drives them to improve. 

When you have all of these issues; Poor ranked system, low player base, infrequent updates/balance, stale meta's and game modes, poor content coverage (because frankly there is no content to cover anymore), and so on. It just leads to a "life support" game mode and in those conditions simple tactics that even a bot could do become feasible.

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, Zexanima.7851 said:

When you have all of these issues; Poor ranked system, low player base, infrequent updates/balance, stale meta's and game modes, poor content coverage (because frankly there is no content to cover anymore), and so on. It just leads to a "life support" game mode and in those conditions simple tactics that even a bot could do become feasible.

I like this, this accurately describes PvP in this game. 

Woah which game mode is not trash in your opinion then? Seeing that wvw is apparently also trash. I don't read the instances content section much; is there a topic there too now, about instanced content being trash?

Personally my first touch with wvw large scale was "this is amazing" and my first touch with pvp on small scale was "what is this gimmicky trash". I actually like small scale pvp a lot now, having invested enough time to learn what to do. A good 1v1 gets me excited in a way that very few games have.

spvp as a mode I do like, I mostly don't like some of the players in it. Wouldn't call them toxic, just unenjoyable to play with.

7 minutes ago, Hotride.2187 said:

Woah which game mode is not trash in your opinion then? Seeing that wvw is apparently also trash. I don't read the instances content section much; is there a topic there too now, about instanced content being trash?

I don't have to make a Fractls/Raid is trash post, that's kinda a given already considering how dead LFG is for those scenes xD

• Confused 3

Weak attempt at discrediting the game. Taking "x" and say "x" is trash because I played with "y" doing only "z" while we already know "y" is the easiest way doing "z".

The title alone is a fraud to the claim.

Edited by Shao.7236
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

I tend to agree with OP. So much about the outcome of a match can have so little to do with actually fighting other players.

Many seasons ago when I still liked ranked, cared about keeping the plat badge, and wanted to soloQ my way to titles, I discovered that when I queued mattered most, and how well I actually played was near the bottom of the list. So while I'm terribad, I selectively queued my way to a top 250 title. The experience was so boring and weird that I gave up going for a top 100 that way, even though it was very feasible to reach it queueing for maybe max 5 matches per day between 7 and 9 am my time.

Now I just spam matches for shards so I can finish my last set of legendary armor. Unless they add some new shiny reward for ranked, after I get the ascended shards I need, I'll probably never do ranked again.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jayce.3921 said:

I made a F2P account, ran a F2P Thief Condi build and all I did was run from side node to side node. 

In about a day or two of playing constantly, I placed into Gold 2 and just hit Plat this morning.

Every single game, I didn't teamfight. I literally just put on a YouTube video, ran to one side node and waited and ran to the other. 

When I was forced to fight, I go invis and wait and then decap when they leave. I just keep repeating this and forcing them to come to me until my team wins fights.

I literally hit plat in less than 48 hours and I didn't even play the actual game, just AFK capping nodes.

This game's PvP is a joke, on Reddit there was a guy openly bragging about his bots hitting Plat and all he did was just make a simple Necro bot that spams 3 - 4 ability rotation, literally that's all it takes to beat the average player in PvP in this game.

I thought maybe high-end PvP is where it's at, but all the GW2 channels on YT are dead. The Twitch community is even worse, actual 20 viewer PvP Andys who lose matches to bots.

And i'm sure 99% of you don't watch GW2 PvP content, but most of it is incredibly boring and cluttered. No one has any clue what ability is doing what, the casters aren't mentally fast enough to keep up with call outs and the entire screen looks like a rave of random flashing effects. 

There's no hope for this game mode and honestly it makes sense why Arenanet abandoned it completely. 

The game has been downgraded to kiddy gameplay with specs having access to everything at the press of a single button, not really something wise individuals want invest time into

• Like 4

Welcome to conquest 'PvP' mode. Why do we even got it in first place? Because ANet wanted to be a special snowflake as usual, during that time WoW was still in its prime(ish), especially in terms of PvP, everyone loved arenas, but not ANet. ANet wanted to make a different game, without holy trinity, without arenas, without mounts.

And how it ended? First expansion we started getting specs that we can call support/healer/tank. Second expansion we get mounts. Somewhere meanwhile we get seasonal 2v2 and 3v3 modes. Why? Answer is simple, BECAUSE ANET IDEAS DONT WORK.

Now its too late, but if in the beginning ANet balanced classes, skills, game around usual 2v2, 3v3 etc. modes, I can only imagine what it couldve become. 

So, all in all we got gamemode that is the only ranked mode, most ppl agreed that its boring and left because instead of fighting you focus on holding colorful circles (look at the population back and now). Its also boring and painful to watch it, during 'esports age' on twitch there were constantly comments from people not knowing whats going on, or commentators not knowing how to make bunker wars interesting for viewers (thats why ESL left and never came back again). Ill leave mechanical skills talk alone, because bots reaching plat division (and there been many examples of that) speaks for itself.

tl;dr - in my opinion gw2 is the best example why gaming company shouldnt try to be a special kid, if something works just follow it, copypaste, make own version of it. Because if you dont, in 99% cases you gonna fail without proper management. And thats what happend.

Edited by Widmo.3186
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Jayce.3921 said:

For me, this will never work. I play on EU, only soloQ. Usually I am plat1 at season end. But it is not possible anymore. I get mates, which die in seconds, stay afk all game, support guards playing sidenoders alone, thiefs dying in teamfights. This happens since 2 seasons for me and I cant push out of gold anymore. If I would play like you, I would get all my nodes but my team would be dead everywhere. It makes me more and more toxic and I have to quit gw2 because of this. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jayce.3921 said:

🤣

Woahhhh Jayce with no brim- The madness gotten to you sir?

3 hours ago, Jayce.3921 said:

That's really funny. You're playing the thief meta right now don't let anyone stop you bruv, that's optimal

On topic: 

Yeah. I don't know why people are surprised that:

*Matches are easy/full of bots/The matchmaker seems like it's insane (nobodys playing because it isn't fun)

*Getting to plat is ridiculously easy (nobody's playing because it isn't fun)

The exciting and interesting builds are very fun to watch, but since nobody's playing because it isn't fun, the only thing you're likely to see right now are tank builds more often than not. which are about as fun to watch as they are to play. 

If this is gonna work we need not only a development lead that learns its lesson about bunker meta and what that does for morale, but also enough players willing to not trade enjoying the game for a shiny badge.

The game is still fun. it just incentivizes playing in boring, insulated ways and doesn't reward people more inclined to play riskier. 

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

*Matches are easy/full of bots/The matchmaker seems like it's insane (nobodys playing because it isn't fun)

*Getting to plat is ridiculously easy (nobody's playing because it isn't fun)

The exciting and interesting builds are very fun to watch, but since nobody's playing because it isn't fun, the only thing you're likely to see right now are tank builds more often than not. which are about as fun to watch as they are to play. 

If this is gonna work we need not only a development lead that learns its lesson about bunker meta and what that does for morale, but also enough players willing to not trade enjoying the game for a shiny badge.

The game is still fun. it just incentivizes playing in boring, insulated ways and doesn't reward people more inclined to play riskier. 

Completely agree, this is a good break down on current state of PvP. 

+1 💙for use of the word 'PvP Andy'

I don't think its hopeless though.

I mean we're all here. Clearly we enjoy or enjoyed playing PvP at one point or another, but for a lot of us that magic hasn't been recaptured, and the past year could indeed be viewed as Anet abandoning PvP altogether.

I recommend not listening to it. We still have our savior; CMC, here to save PvP by turning it into Player Versus Self.

CmC has shown us the path to salvation, and that path is one of kindness, self-reflection, and morality.

There is no damage. There are no sigils and runes. There is only nerfs, peace, and perfect balance/harmony.

I reckon there will be a massive wave of new players soon, and that population will only grow when CmC's vision is fully realized.

In no way could that backfire and make the game into a miserable lethargic slogfest, thus alienating anyone who enjoyed it not being that way prior.

By the Nerf Hammer, and the holy name. 🙏

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 1/18/2022 at 7:31 PM, Jayce.3921 said:

Try some AT now

Do u actually have any proof u did as you proclaim? at minimum if this was a attempt at proving something u'd of atleast recorded footage to prove it? as far as i can see u've made essays on how bad every single mode is without any claim to evidence to achieving what you write.

I can write "Within 24hours i carried myself to masters With Tempest" or "After 3 hours of gameplay i 1v1'd boyce and won".

but the thing is, if your going to try proclaim something, i'd expect at minimum a video to prove what ur claiming...

Given u proclaim to be a New Player.. i just find it very hard to beleive you queued into plat players and Won on basically AFKing on a Node til someone shows up im afraid and 48 hours is a Severely short time to proclaim to have climbed this way. im pretty certain if i tried to repeat such a claim i'd likely not manage it realistically.

as Frankly to just state one thing.

To Decap a node takes 4 seconds and to recap a Node takes 12 seconds. Which proffession are you playing to Retain invis for 16 seconds On demand for Every occassion someone turned up?

and im assuming ur rotating between Far and Close, as Mid is generally where a teamfight would take place. and if ur "teams winning teamfights" Respawn counters would be flying. so ur telling me everytime someone ran from their base to close u had 16 seconds of Invis to "wait it out til they left".

3 hours ago, Stand The Wall.6987 said:

i mean thats just regular teef gameplay tho

its really not, Thiefs also +1 Fight sand are at times susposed to get involved in teamfights. AFKing Nodes isnt rly their job. not to mention 16 second invis on demand is quite the claim.

this guy makes his account in the same Minute he makes a massive Post, Proclaiming to be a New Player whos Just used condi thief to climb to plat in 48hours. Anyone who actually beleives him is likely gullable or hasnt experienced Games Near Expansion launch before.

this guy, has a F2P account who posted 2 Posts almost titled the same thing targetted at both sides of a Games PvP modes With a Name hes Pulled from a League of Legends character. People like this will flock around games every Near-Expansion launch to spread negativity and Stir Reactions from people who are also irritated by somethings in the game.

I mean you cant honestly beleive this guys truthful in statement without a single Link to any footage showing him managing this.

a New Player randomly decided to Test something. doesnt record anything for either proclaimation its a troll. Prolly one of the people who got banned during wintrading or something venting some anger.

Edited by Daddy.8125
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, Daddy.8125 said:

Do u actually have any proof u did as you proclaim? at minimum if this was a attempt at proving something u'd of atleast recorded footage to prove it? as far as i can see u've made essays on how bad every single mode is without any claim to evidence to achieving what you write.

I can write "Within 24hours i carried myself to masters With Tempest" or "After 3 hours of gameplay i 1v1'd boyce and won".

but the thing is, if your going to try proclaim something, i'd expect at minimum a video to prove what ur claiming...

Given u proclaim to be a New Player.. i just find it very hard to beleive you queued into plat players and Won on basically AFKing on a Node til someone shows up im afraid and 48 hours is a Severely short time to proclaim to have climbed this way. im pretty certain if i tried to repeat such a claim i'd likely not manage it realistically.

as Frankly to just state one thing.

To Decap a node takes 4 seconds and to recap a Node takes 12 seconds. Which proffession are you playing to Retain invis for 16 seconds On demand for Every occassion someone turned up?

and im assuming ur rotating between Far and Close, as Mid is generally where a teamfight would take place. and if ur "teams winning teamfights" Respawn counters would be flying. so ur telling me everytime someone ran from their base to close u had 16 seconds of Invis to "wait it out til they left".

its really not, Thiefs also +1 Fight sand are at times susposed to get involved in teamfights. AFKing Nodes isnt rly their job. not to mention 16 second invis on demand is quite the claim.

this guy makes his account in the same Minute he makes a massive Post, Proclaiming to be a New Player whos Just used condi thief to climb to plat in 48hours. Anyone who actually beleives him is likely gullable or hasnt experienced Games Near Expansion launch before.

this guy, has a F2P account who posted 2 Posts almost titled the same thing targetted at both sides of a Games PvP modes With a Name hes Pulled from a League of Legends character. People like this will flock around games every Near-Expansion launch to spread negativity and Stir Reactions from people who are also irritated by somethings in the game.

I mean you cant honestly beleive this guys truthful in statement without a single Link to any footage showing him managing this.

a New Player randomly decided to Test something. doesnt record anything for either proclaimation its a troll. Prolly one of the people who got banned during wintrading or something venting some anger.

I have no proof for you but I've done very similar things on thief. I some times even run rune of speed to rotate even faster. It's the easiest way to win matches. Do you win every single match this way? Of course not, but you can easily remain in the positives up to mid plat doing this. Regardless of if it's true or not he makes some valid points. 

• Thanks 1