Alliances make me not want to play WvW

The current state of WvW participation is very simple. You open the tab, join a bg and thats it.

With the Alliances however you open the tab and there are a bunch of names of groups to join. And here lies the issue. You are made to make a decision, but you are given 0 information to base your decision upon. Therefore you have to choose at random. There is no way of knowing which group is the most optimal. So you make a random decision, end up in a massively outnumbered and unorganized alliance and basicly for the next cycle you can be effectively locked out of WvW.

Because of this, I  chose to not participate in WvW at all, rather then risk getting in a bad group.

Edited by Chrysaliss.8720
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

• Chrysaliss.8720 changed the title to Alliances make me not want to play WvW

So...

Wait..

Right now, you make a new account, blind, uninformed, and the first question the game asks you is "what WvW community would you like to join?"
Some of the communities offered are ERP only. Some do not engage in WvW at all. Some are spaniards that write jajajaja in mapchat.
Have fun with your informed decision!

But the game giving you a choice, for free, every week, of what WvW team to join, is a random crapshoot?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, The Boz.2038 said:

So...

Wait..

Right now, you make a new account, blind, uninformed, and the first question the game asks you is "what WvW community would you like to join?"
Some of the communities offered are ERP only. Some do not engage in WvW at all. Some are spaniards that write jajajaja in mapchat.
Have fun with your informed decision!

But the game giving you a choice, for free, every week, of what WvW team to join, is a random crapshoot?

Back at release, there was a WvW rated matchmaking. Dont know if it is in the game still. But basicly it didnt matter which server you played, becase in WvW you would be paired against equally performing servers.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, The Boz.2038 said:

And if your server wasn't a WvW server, you'll be paired against non-WvW servers, and...

Your informed choice? Still fail to see where it is.

I don't think you understand this beta, sharding, teams, or the incoming system at all.

What I am saying is that the choice of server didnt matter. Becase no matter which server you chose, you would have somewhat balanced WvW experience once the server ratings stabilized.

Maybe I dont understand, but the game sure as hell didnt bother to explain anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Chrysaliss.8720 said:

2. Just because guild join the group wont guarantee it being the most optimal.

That's called matchmaking 😄. It's entire point is to prevent all players from just choosing the best team. Instead, you are now a part of the equation.

Besides, you stated that you just joined a bg. Why would you care about the "optimal group" all of a sudden? Did you transfer to the optimal team after every relink?

1 minute ago, Chrysaliss.8720 said:

What I am saying is that the choice of server didnt matter. Becase no matter which server you chose, you would have somewhat balanced WvW experience once the server ratings stabilized.

Maybe I dont understand, but the game sure as hell didnt bother to explain anything.

You still not getting it.

If you join a server that doesn't do WvW, you'll be put in a "balanced WvW matchup" with other servers that don't do WvW.

*Forever*.

Have fun with your WvW!

And now, you can switch teams on a weekly basis. On a whim. And if you choose *randomly*, you will STILL BE PLACED IN A BALANCED MATCHUP using the SAME METRICS AS BEFORE, but now with increased atomicity. How the hell is that a bad thing!?

1 minute ago, Chrysaliss.8720 said:

And why shouldn't it be the same with the new system? It's impossible to judge this when we only have a week long beta and team ratings won't stabilise over a period of time.

1 minute ago, Meridian.9103 said:

Besides, you stated that you just joined a bg. Why would you care about the "optimal group" all of a sudden? Did you transfer to the optimal team after every relink?

Because being in a group that will be unable to capture anything simply wont be fun and it will make the reward track progress slower.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, The Boz.2038 said:

You still not getting it.

If you join a server that doesn't do WvW, you'll be put in a "balanced WvW matchup" with other servers that don't do WvW.

Even if you play on a server that has 1 player that plays WvW and you get matched with other server that have 1 player play WvW. That is a good outcome. It is balanced.

If you join a random group that you have no information about and it has 10 people play WvW and get matched against groups that have 100 people. Then it becomes unplayable.

Maybe im not getting it, but still noone explained how it works.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, The Boz.2038 said:

Why do you think the matchup will suddenly become unbalanced? 

If you join team A, team A is *still* going to enter the matchmaking system, and the system will find teams B and C that produce a balanced matchup.

Because we have 0 information about it. That is the whole point of this post.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Chrysaliss.8720 said:

Because we have 0 information about it. That is the whole point of this post.

Ingame explanation? It's a beta. This beta is testing team sharding. 

There are several developer blogs about the alliance system. Did you bother to even try and find them?

11 minutes ago, The Boz.2038 said:

Ingame explanation? It's a beta. This beta is testing team sharding. 

There are several developer blogs about the alliance system. Did you bother to even try and find them?

No I did not. Average player will not go outside of the game to get basic information about how something works. If you doo. You are in a minority. You should keep that in mind.

• Haha 3

So you are uninformed, and yet you still had Ideas, and you ranted about things that Literally Weren't True. What gave you those ideas? What made you think you should react to them, instead of reexamine them?

Also, it's a beta. Did you at least bother to read the description in the top right edge of your screen? 

1 minute ago, The Boz.2038 said:

So you are uninformed, and yet you still had Ideas, and you ranted about things that Literally Weren't True. What gave you those ideas? What made you think you should react to them, instead of reexamine them?

Also, it's a beta. Did you at least bother to read the description in the top right edge of your screen? 

Bro for the 3rd time. I ranted about no information INSIDE THE GAME! How hard is it to understand? If its beta or not is not an excuse.

• Haha 2

Your first few posts right in here made claims that were entirely unfounded. Have no idea where you got them from. Yet you felt confident in your position enough to post them.

How hard is it to understand.

"There is no way of knowing which group is the most optimal. So you make a random decision, end up in a massively outnumbered and unorganized alliance"

This is a claim. Based on nothing. In which you claim matchmaking will be shot in the head behind the shed. 

This is not you asking "why is there no information?", or "how will this system work?"

This is you bitching, ex nihilo, about stuff you invented.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chrysaliss.8720 said:

It doesnt. 

1. I am not in a PvP guild.

2. Just because guild join the group wont guarantee it being the most optimal.

Currently, web-sites like http://gw2stats.com/eu/matchups don't work well with the beta (as it is a beta), still the matches shown are the real ones, just the names are wrong (I am titan's staircase in the beta, and comparing the scores, I would say thats green in T5 shown as Deso+AR on the web-site).

When alliances go live, these names will very likely be correct and you can make informated choices as much as you can now.

However, I think you are only offered a choice, if you did not played for a while. If you were active the linking system will choose for you. And this is good 🙂, whenever players optimize their choice (aka winning-team-joiner), they destroy any balance. Of course, if the optimal team for you is the one with people you know, than you can make informed choices, ask them which alliance they are or build a new aliance with them.

Edited by Dayra.7405

7 hours ago, Chrysaliss.8720 said:

I don't remember choice of server not mattering at all. You wanted to go to TC if you were into rp. Anvil Rock was the spvp kids. IoJ and Sos were unofficial Oceanic servers. DB was all the SEA players. FA and JQ were supposed to be pvp servers due to the GW1 namesakes.

And server ranks were extremely volatile for a long time with all the bandwagoning.

7 hours ago, Chrysaliss.8720 said:

No I did not. Average player will not go outside of the game to get basic information about how something works. If you doo. You are in a minority. You should keep that in mind.

The average player will also not immediately go on about something having to be "optimal". If they do, they likely already went out of their way to read up, which defeats your entire point.

It's a beta. The intent is to get a system in place which prevents to large imbalances between sides. There are no guarantees that you get to "win" all the time. That requires effort on part of the individual player. Both in terms of organization, aka join a guild/alliance, as well as skill/class, get on a proper build and become proficient at it to be of use to your side.

As to your entire complaint about being locked out of WvW, welcome to tier 5 on EU (I believe tier 4 on NA, though I am not sure how active that tier is). It's just that, usually 2 servers which are near dead with 1 barely hanging on dominating the other 2. That's what alliances are out to fix.

• Confused 1