And so one of our first strike missions is...

Vidit.7108

...Mai Trin.

I hope it's a completely different fight. It's kind of bold to go with the return of a boss THAT familiar to us cause we're going to be comparing them. I hear the second strike is going to be Ensolyss of the Endless Torment. 🙄

Though on a more serious note, story wise, how could she possibly think fighting us is going to go better for her this time? I wouldn't want to fight of us if I were in position. How many times do we have to teach you this lesson old woman? We've killed a god and four dragons since then. 

I'm interested to find out at least.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

Because people spam confused emojis on your post , here's the relevant link:
https://massivelyop.com/2022/01/19/flameseeker-chronicles-touring-guild-wars-2s-end-of-dragons-guild-hall-echovald-wilds-and-strike-mission/

We also got a chance to try out one of the four new strike missions launching with End of Dragons, called Aetherblade Hideout. The boss of this particular 10-player instance is, fittingly, Captain Mai Trin, whom long-time Guild Wars 2 players will remember as the leader of the Aetherblades in Living World Season 1.

As previously detailed, the boss fights of strike missions will appear as part of End of Dragons’ story, but the strike version glosses over the narrative, assuming the player has already done the solo story version; it adds additional, more challenging mechanics. If you liked Icebrood Saga’s strike missions, I don’t think you’ll find anything too surprising or new about this fight, but I also think it will be a fun addition to the current rotation of strikes. “More of the same” isn’t a bad thing.

The devs from the encounters team talked about some of the lessons they learned from Icebrood Saga’s strike missions. While strikes aren’t supposed to be as punishing as raids, a lot of players found that they could get through them just fine while ignoring many of the intended mechanics.

For instance, when my guild does Boneskinner, we usually just ignore the torch mechanic altogether and tack on an extra heal Scourge to cleanse the torment it applies and heal through the extra damage. It’s just faster and easier that way.

But this time around, the encounter designers wanted to keep the content accessible while doing more to punish players who stand in the fire, so to speak – not so much to make them more hardcore but to make sure players are actually learning how to do the fight properly and not just sliding by, blissfully unaware that their healer is carrying them.

People don't spend any time researching and just react.

• Like 1
  • Confused 7

The devs from the encounters team talked about some of the lessons they learned from Icebrood Saga’s strike missions. While strikes aren’t supposed to be as punishing as raids, a lot of players found that they could get through them just fine while ignoring many of the intended mechanics.

But this time around, the encounter designers wanted to keep the content accessible while doing more to punish players who stand in the fire, so to speak – not so much to make them more hardcore but to make sure players are actually learning how to do the fight properly and not just sliding by, blissfully unaware that their healer is carrying them.

If there is something they should have "lerned" from the IBS (and other content) then it's that no mater how easy the content is most people will rather die than to play into the mechanics (e.g. vs. the Tarnished Sage) and just skip the content if their "head through the wall" aproach doesn't work (e.g. SMs like WoJ).

The approach they've chosen will just make this type of content even less "accessible" as the core of the "issue" they are trying to address here has never really been the difficulty to begin with.

6 hours ago, Vidit.7108 said:

how could she possibly think fighting us is going to go better for her this time?

Because no one ever takes the commander seriously, except for his close friends and some rare exceptiones like Anise and your old "mentor" type characters (like Zojja if you're playing as an Asura).

Edited by Tails.9372
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Tails.9372 said:

If there is something they should have "lerned" from the IBS (and other content) then it's that no mater how easy the content is most people will rather die than to play into the mechanics (e.g. vs. the Tarnished Sage) and just skip the content if their "head through the wall" aproach doesn't work (e.g. SMs like WoJ).

The approach they've chosen will just make this type of content even less "accessible" as the core of the "issue" they are trying to address here has never really been the difficulty to begin with.

good, and imho go back to dragonstorm and reduce the time limit while at it.

its about time anet catered the game towards a audience who cares about the game instead of AFKing their way on the backs of those who care, the reason this games been labelled Ultra casual and isnt touched with a barge pole by more competitive players is because these players have given the game a seriously bad rep among the genre.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, Tails.9372 said:

Reminds me of those "Boneskinner 250 LI Hscg" squads

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Tails.9372 said:

Because no one ever takes the commander seriously, except for his close friends and some rare exceptiones like Anise and your old "mentor" type characters (like Zojja if you're playing as an Asura).

Wait.  Tarnished Sage?  Isn't that the training golem under Tarir?  Does that thing even fight back?  Or am I confusing that one with something else?

• Confused 1

I am a bit confused as to why they decided to reveal that. As far as official material is concerned Arenanet kept telling us that they won't show Strike Mission content because it ties into the story and might be a spoiler and yet I know now that Mai Trin is going to be an antagonist in the EoD story to some extent.

2 hours ago, Daddy.8125 said:

its about time anet catered the game towards a audience who cares about the game instead of AFKing their way on the backs of those who care, the reason this games been labelled Ultra casual and isnt touched with a barge pole by more competitive players is because these players have given the game a seriously bad rep among the genre.

It is game for casuals...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Daddy.8125 said:

None of that makes sense. Instanced group content won't shift the demographic to the people 'who care' (raids didn't do that, there is no reason to think strikes will either).  As for the raid content revealed ... it's good Anet is moving away from 'stand in the fire, get a reward' philosophy because that is pretty bad game design.

Again, if the content is just too hard for people, they aren't going to do it and it's possible it's going to be another 'raids' scenario ... too small an interest to justify the development.

If anything, we all better hope the content is easy enough for the 'not caring AFKers' to be able to do it.

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

None of that makes sense. There isn't a 'requirement' for the game to cater to the audience you are talking about to be successful.

He never said there is, so you're not responding to anything he wrote.

Edit: yes, this was the entirity of the post I responded to. 11 minutes later it got edited out and replaced with something different. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

28 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

None of that makes sense. Instanced group content won't shift the demographic to the people 'who care' (raids didn't do that, there is no reason to think strikes will either).  As for the raid content revealed ... it's good Anet is moving away from 'stand in the fire, get a reward' philosophy because that is pretty bad game design.

Again, if the content is just too hard for people, they aren't going to do it and it's possible it's going to be another 'raids' scenario ... too small an interest to justify the development.

If anything, we all better hope the content is easy enough for the 'not caring AFKers' to be able to do it.

Raids in no game shifts the demographic hence why things like auto raid finder became a thing in popular mmorpgs. 

And why all better hope?

Bosses are scaled to quantity of players present afk players make bosses longer to kill and provide 0 dps theyre existence is making your life harder 

And you say this as if it's true. It isn't

What's going on is people are multiboxing to increase odds of looting a infusion drop for gold.there are more multiboxers then active litteral afk players. 

Increasing the difficulty will mean these players will stop as the profit will be lost. 

The reason raid popularity is so low is because the audience the game currently has. 

Vanilla WoW doesn't attract the same audience BFA did does it... It's possible to change the targetted audience if the game does a better job at satisfying both sides. 

Difficulty sliders are the solution to what you state.

Make a LFR option for people who want to do nothing and afk about. Dragonstorm is a good example of when they have done this. Just the infusion should have only been from the private version and the private version should of been abit harder. 

Now do this for the rest. 

Give us scaled versions off all the bosses and leave the open world ones as the public options for people who aren't apart of the population who this appeals to. 

And before you say the populations too small it isn't. There's tons who make groups for private dragonstorm realistically. Maybe not as many as do public but no games ever gotten it's harder difficulty as popular as the lowest. 

Edited by Daddy.8125
  • Confused 2

44 minutes ago, Daddy.8125 said:

And why all better hope?

Because we don't want another raid content scenario. I actually WANT people from all segments of the playerbase to enjoy the content, not just the 'caring' people as you describe them. I think the fact that they bring Mai Trin back into a strike is a good sign that Anet wants to bring more players into the story that they didn't experience in the Fractals content. 

This underlying idea that "the game doesn't have the right players, so the content needs to adjust to get them" just doesn't make sense and many of your posts imply this idea. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Because we don't want another raid content scenario. I actually WANT people from all segments of the playerbase to enjoy the content, not just the 'caring' people as you describe them. 

There is topic on this forum, where people deny raids are dead content and it's non raiders fault for not trying harder to get 150LI so they can start pugging. Also, raids are easy, according to them, you just join, press random buttons and win. Also, everyone raids, it's just Anet who got wrong data, because some obscure website says their all users with API key is raiding. On and on. People refuse to see forest for the trees and keep on insisting it's an obvious lake and not forest.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Because we don't want another raid content scenario. I actually WANT people from all segments of the playerbase to enjoy the content, not just the 'caring' people as you describe them. I think the fact that they bring Mai Trin back into a strike is a good sign that Anet wants to bring more players into the story that they didn't experience in the Fractals content. 

This underlying idea that "the game doesn't have the right players, so the content needs to adjust to get them" just doesn't make sense and many of your posts imply this idea. 

Difficult scaling.

With a story mode at litteral current world boss. And then a beyond feature with harder difficulties is minimum work. Hence why it's such a popular practice. So can be churned out as content for the majority with a easy and fast way with no development time requirements to entertain the minority who want more. 

Do u beleive WoW doesn't deliever content for the majority? What about FFXIV?. Because they do. With this feature they manage to keep their content aimed at the majority and simply just add DMG / hp and a few more mechanics + a enrage timer to create a more difficult instance of the identical fight and room on a harder setting. 

I didn't say it don't have the right players. 

I stated Anet can benefit from a sliding difficulty system in content to attract more then one audience. 

I'm stating 

If they take current raids, create a easier version of them. Then call it automatic raid finder. 

Theb increase the difficulty of normal and cm 

More people will raid via the automatic raid finder increasing popularity among the current audience while having a difficulty option to bring in a second audience. Both satisfied with the same raid. At a difficulty they appreciate 

I want the content widened in audience. This worked in WoW tons of afkers, new players, non raiding players and soloers began raiding thanks to LFR it was a massive success launching auto party and raid finder. 

I'm saying bring these tools to gw2 to create very easy content with a sliding scale to offer the identical fights on harder settings. 

All they have to do is put infusions and stuff in the harder settings to create popularity among the audience its created for and have ascended armour dropping from LFR.

They could go further by adding outfits created specifically for their proffession in the harder settings to award prestige transmog for doing them all through a achievement. 

It's easy to keep a level of reward for these things. And they are fast development. And as it's the same encounter no ones missing out. 

People from all segments. You don't if you want it to remain the same. 

The same makes raiders and competitive players unhappy. The opposite makes casuals unhappy 

For every segment to enjoy this game it needs to cater to both with the same content i.e difficulty sliders automated party and group finders. And a proper scaling system of difficulty applied for premade groups 

Edited by Daddy.8125
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bakeneko.5826 said:

according to them, you just join, press random buttons and win. Also, everyone raids, it's just Anet who got wrong data

lol, who and where said that?

1 hour ago, Bakeneko.5826 said:

People refuse to see forest for the trees and keep on insisting it's an obvious lake and not forest.

This is extremely ironic after what you've just wrote in the very same post.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 3

https://www.pcgamer.com/guild-wars-2-is-betting-on-bite-sized-raid-encounters-with-end-of-dragons/

This is an MMO that, at its core, is about movement and positioning, and the game's best bosses embrace that. Mai Trin's basic attacks are a patchwork of AoE patterns, and on top are a selection of greatest hits familiar to long term players. AoEs will target and follow each player, forcing the entire team to separate to avoid taking multiple hits. There's the green AoE field that players have to stack on to share out the damage. There's a variation of the Fractal flux bomb, that needs to be taken away from the group to avoid dropping a massive damage-over-time field on top of your party. There's bullet hell orbs and phantoms that require crowd control skills to defeat. But on top of these returning standards, there's the sense that ArenaNet has thought about the personality of the people you're fighting, and also created a selection of new attacks to fit.

7 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

You cant please all players with 1 difficulty setting. A lot of players myself included cant stand the braindead open world bosses. Its like watching a screensaver. Doesnt matter what you do you get full rewards anyways and there are a bunch of players leeching with 10+ afk alt accounts anyways. I play a game to actively do something but gw2 requires a 2nd screen and a netflix sub with current content design. gw2 isnt sub free afterall.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Nephalem.8921 said:

You cant please all players with 1 difficulty setting. A lot of players myself included cant stand the braindead open world bosses. Its like watching a screensaver. Doesnt matter what you do you get full rewards anyways and there are a bunch of players leeching with 10+ afk alt accounts anyways. I play a game to actively do something but gw2 requires a 2nd screen and a netflix sub with current content design. gw2 isnt sub free afterall.

Sure ... and that's why we are getting tiered strikes in EoD. The question is still if it's sufficient to engage the playerbase. My replies here are more about the idea that Anet was going to start to  "catered the game towards a audience who cares about the game instead of AFKing their way on the backs of those who care"

To me, that comment doesn't make sense and is also a really backhanded comment to many players of this game ... what instanced content are people AFKing and riding on the backs of others? It's certainly not raids, the harder fractals or the harder Strike missions. In fact, it's not ANY instanced content ... because those kinds of players are not really tolerated, except only by premades that don't care. We aren't talking about OW content. Anet is targeting the 'caring' player because they want game mechanics to matter? Weird ... because I've YET to play instanced content where the mechanics do not punish players that ignore them except in a few instances of cheesy combos and badly power crept content like Dungeons. 

Some people just need to get their head around the fact that this experiment of targeted audiences for instanced content already failed a few times in this game ... and those 'AFKING backriders' he's slagging in his post are actually a large and IMPORTANT audience that Anet needs to pay attention to for instanced endgame content to be successful. The irony is that the extension of strike missions in EoD is actually for the people the poster is slagging  .. but he hasn't thought very deeply about that.

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

20 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

(...)"catered the game towards a audience who cares about the game instead of AFKing their way on the backs of those who care"

To me, that comment doesn't make sense ... what instanced content are people AFKing and riding on the backs of others? It's certainly not raids, the harder fractals or the harder Strike missions, because players like that get the boot REALLY fast. So who is that comment targeted at? We aren't talking about OW content here so >>> 🤷‍♂️

Pretty sure it's directly specified what that poster was talking about in the very same post you've cut out the quote from. Just read his post and you won't need to keep guessing.

With the first post, where you were talking about some "requirement" (which wasn't in the quoted post) and now this, it kind of looks like you're arguing more against your idea of what he wrote than what he actually wrote there.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

Wait.  Tarnished Sage?  Isn't that the training golem under Tarir?  Does that thing even fight back?  Or am I confusing that one with something else?

Exactly, the thing below Tarir. It has an attack that puts an AoE circle under each player. It's one of these "don't stack, spread up" mechanics and instead of spreading up or at least dodging the incoming AoE people just stand there and take the hit resulting in a large portion of the players dieing / going into downstate.

28 minutes ago, Tails.9372 said:

Exactly, the thing below Tarir. It has an attack that puts an AoE circle under each player. It's one of these "don't stack, spread up" mechanics and instead of spreading up or at least dodging the incoming AoE people just stand there and take the hit resulting in a large portion of the players dieing / going into downstate.

Ohh that guy.  I was thinking the guy across the way from him.  I have no trouble taking him down solo and I'm better than fair at that dodging stuff, but I get clipped by that attack frequently after the meta because I'm just really laggy with so many other players present.  I also like to go for the stomp even if it kills me!  As for the reason I stack up, well, I'm a sword weaver.  I don't really have much of a choice! 😀

9 hours ago, Sir Alymer.3406 said:

Mai Trin spawns the lightning fields & Horrik spawned the fire fields during old cannon phases before the rework

Yes, and Horrik always shot lightning fields to remove shield.

6 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

To me, that comment doesn't make sense and is also a really backhanded comment to many players of this game ... what instanced content are people AFKing and riding on the backs of others? It's certainly not raids, the harder fractals or the harder Strike missions.

Dude needed strawman, so he made one.

• Confused 2