Icebrood mastery system is an example of how NOT to do it

On 1/21/2022 at 10:43 AM, Khisanth.2948 said:

I was referring useless masteries that take a hefty amount of points

I dont think the objection is just that they take allot of points and arent that useful. Its that they take allot of points and it takes so much time and grinding to get the points that by time you are done you dont wana redo it for spirit shards or anything else. Sounds like the OP is disgusted with IBS at this point other than the occasional strike w friends or what ever.

Personally, IBS was the first season I didnt bother maxing out my MPs. Im still sitting at 361 because I dont want to go grind the last MPs out and I dont value the last unlock cause if I recall it just benefits me on DRMs which I never do. So it just looked like too much of a pointless circular loop of meaningless grind with a reward of improved grind at the end in the form of slightly improved DRM runs (if one does them).

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Moradorin.6217 said:

I dont think the objection is just that they take allot of points and arent that useful. Its that they take allot of points and it takes so much time and grinding to get the points that by time you are done you dont wana redo it for spirit shards or anything else. Sounds like the OP is disgusted with IBS at this point other than the occasional strike w friends or what ever.

Personally, IBS was the first season I didnt bother maxing out my MPs. Im still sitting at 361 because I dont want to go grind the last MPs out and I dont value the last unlock cause if I recall it just benefits me on DRMs which I never do. So it just looked like too much of a pointless circular loop of meaningless grind with a reward of improved grind at the end in the form of slightly improved DRM runs (if one does them).

The last tier also lets you buy volcanic stormcallers for 1 gold (and 100 DRM tokens) per weapon. On the other hand, last tier on each of the 3 essence masteries is practically useless and should be left for dead last

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Moradorin.6217 said:

it takes so much time and grinding to get the points

What you call grinding is what other people call playing the game. Drizzlewood gives plenty of XP just for doing the meta. I wanted the Otter's Blessing enrichment so I didn't even notice the XP clocking up for masteries. Coincidentally, someone just started a thread observing the current map reset makes it hard to continually repeat the south/north meta cycle!

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

6 hours ago, costepj.5120 said:

What you call grinding is what other people call playing the game. Drizzlewood gives plenty of XP just for doing the meta. I wanted the Otter's Blessing enrichment so I didn't even notice the XP clocking up for masteries. Coincidentally, someone just started a thread observing the current map reset makes it hard to continually repeat the south/north meta cycle!

Sorry no. Its the difference in what is required to obtain map MPs for Icebrood. They flat out did a kitten job of implimenting MPs in icebrood. Look I have allot more AP than most, I have full legendary , all mounts, etc. I have over 12k hours on my main account. 

It has nothing to do with gaining XP to fill out bars and spend MPs. We are talking about the way MPs are obtained in icebrood compared to other LW seasons . They also happen to be mostly useless MPs but that is a side issue. THe topic's issue as far as I know is related to gaining MPs needed to complete icebrood (366).  Its the only LW season they ever tried to force players to grind the content a ton like that kjust for the base MPs to get the unlocks. 

Personally, It just got me to not care about maxing my MPs. I dont plan on ever getting my missing 5 MPs because I would have to sit and do the borja meta and the 2 dragon encounter like I duno 50 times or 100 times each. I dont even remember or care. On top of that I would have to do some other griny kitten all to make a number larger that means nothing because I gain nothing that will benefit me from that +5 to my MPs.

So after 9 years of always maxing MPs since tbhey got added. I just dont kittening care anymore. I could easly get them if I cared to grind it out, but I just decided to face the reality that its a meaningless grind with no reward of value at the end. So I walked away from icebrood. I went back and did return on it. I redid the parts when they added voices. I really hate the way they did MPs. Yes I said I hate it.

Since you found it confusing: No one minds grinding XP. Its the path to get the MPs to use without being forced into rediculus repetition and massive expensive, non-optional collections.

Edited by Moradorin.6217
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 3

Can't say I noticed LS5 MPs being harder to obtain than any others, though I do have less spare from that zone than elsewhere (14 spare Core, 12 spare HoT, 13 spare PoF, 7 spare IBS). I guess it comes down to what content you enjoy; I skipped the weapon collections and the DRM CMs.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, costepj.5120 said:

Can't say I noticed LS5 MPs being harder to obtain than any others, though I do have less spare from that zone than elsewhere (14 spare Core, 12 spare HoT, 13 spare PoF, 7 spare IBS). I guess it comes down to what content you enjoy; I skipped the weapon collections and the DRM CMs.

untill they redid the MPs the collections part was non-optional. I think now you can probably skip the collections if you do the maps allot. However, at this point I just dont like icebrood and dont plan to play those maps enough to do the borja meta or other things enough times to ever get those MPs and since the thing I would gain from said MPs is meaningless other then a number I just dont care. That said, I am still irritated by the way it was done and prefered previous LW seasons as far as MP use goes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

IBS masteries are more grindy than I prefer. On the plus side, majority of them are completely useless outside those specific maps those masteries were designed for. If you don’t plan to play much in these maps, then you can just skip the grind and only get the masteries that are useful for general playing.

On my alt accounts, I only got the IBS masteries that are useful anywhere in the game. Just doing the “Return to…” achievements and interacting with some insights is enough to get you these masteries.

Edited by BlueJin.4127
  • Like 3

This ticked me off for a while too, until I realised that the only tier I have left to unlock only applies to DRMs, which are so intensely boring I never play them anyway.

It would be nice to be able to unlock the dragon eye skins, as it's always nice to have more wardrobe options, but I can live without them.

Edit: But yeah, the irony isn't lost on me that by the time you've got all of the mastery points necessary to unlock all IBS tracks, the only content to benefit from it will be content you'll never want to play again, you'll be so burnt out on it.

Edited by Mungrul.9358
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Moradorin.6217 said:

Sorry no. Its the difference in what is required to obtain map MPs for Icebrood. They flat out did a kitten job of implimenting MPs in icebrood. Look I have allot more AP than most, I have full legendary , all mounts, etc. I have over 12k hours on my main account. 

It has nothing to do with gaining XP to fill out bars and spend MPs. We are talking about the way MPs are obtained in icebrood compared to other LW seasons . They also happen to be mostly useless MPs but that is a side issue. THe topic's issue as far as I know is related to gaining MPs needed to complete icebrood (366).  Its the only LW season they ever tried to force players to grind the content a ton like that kjust for the base MPs to get the unlocks. 

Personally, It just got me to not care about maxing my MPs. I dont plan on ever getting my missing 5 MPs because I would have to sit and do the borja meta and the 2 dragon encounter like I duno 50 times or 100 times each. I dont even remember or care. On top of that I would have to do some other griny kitten all to make a number larger that means nothing because I gain nothing that will benefit me from that +5 to my MPs.

So after 9 years of always maxing MPs since tbhey got added. I just dont kittening care anymore. I could easly get them if I cared to grind it out, but I just decided to face the reality that its a meaningless grind with no reward of value at the end. So I walked away from icebrood. I went back and did return on it. I redid the parts when they added voices. I really hate the way they did MPs. Yes I said I hate it.

Since you found it confusing: No one minds grinding XP. Its the path to get the MPs to use without being forced into rediculus repetition and massive expensive, non-optional collections.

I'm in a similar position.  I'm at the point that I don't care if I finish the IBS masteries ever, and I've maxed all the others and have points left over.  In fact, I'm so burnt out on IBS and grind for IBS mastery points, I am having a hard time finding the motivation to finish the "Return to" stuff for IBS.  I breezed through all the earlier stuff and didn't find it to be a slog.  But then I got to IBS and I've been sitting at the start of Drizzlewood Coast since back in the middle of Wintersday.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.294 said:

I'm in a similar position.  I'm at the point that I don't care if I finish the IBS masteries ever, and I've maxed all the others and have points left over.  In fact, I'm so burnt out on IBS and grind for IBS mastery points, I am having a hard time finding the motivation to finish the "Return to" stuff for IBS.  I breezed through all the earlier stuff and didn't find it to be a slog.  But then I got to IBS and I've been sitting at the start of Drizzlewood Coast since back in the middle of Wintersday.

I hear ya. The return stuff is 100% worth it for the amulet, bag, clovers, etc. It got me to play the content a bit more and I even picked up a enough MPs to get up to 361 (still missing last dragon slyaer drm mastery *who cares tho*). I considered grinding the last few out just for completion till I realized I would have to do I think 3 or 4 different meta events over 20 times each all to incriment a number. Yea kitten that I didnt really like DRMs anyway.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Came here because of my frustration with IBS masteries, and no they are not the same as HoT and PoF, I never experience similar pain, heck even core was much fun, I am forcing myself to play to get those, not right. Story is boring, maps are for the grind. I enjoyed farming masteries for HoT and PoF, actually HoT is my favorite so far, this is NOT fun, one thing for sure, they are turning players away from those maps, the moment a player is done with IBS masteries it will be end of the pain, never go back ever, I know I wont, am starting to give up on them anyways, skip IBS all together. Such a huge step backwards, but again, that's what GW2 do mostly...stumbling in the dark since the release of fractals.

Edited by Kendahna.9542
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

HoT masteries where really bad, I came to GW2 originally pre-HoT and had fun, but then I could not progress the msq because I needed to get like 80+ mastery points on a ranger in sub exotic gear and would die in one hit. HoT was nerfed like 2 times? I could not move 50M forget explore the maps.

I really enjoyed the PoF ones, it’s the one I used to get my masteries as a pvp payer cause I hate pve. I have the achievement item to take me to domain of vambii on shared slot. That way I can get my mastery in like 50 min. 

not done IB yet, I been playing DOS2 and lost Ark, and waiting for rise of sith. Will get to it soon. 

TLDR: I can understand and I agree the mastery of some areas are hit or miss 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

• 11 months later...
On 1/25/2022 at 12:43 AM, Wintermute.5408 said:

In purely anecdotal manner - I have about 10 leftover mastery points for core Tyria (and that was something I actively chased back in the day). 15-20 for HoT and PoF, before I started raiding. And exactly 1 for IBS.

That 1 leftover included me grinding 25 Cold wars (kill me please), camping for RNG champ spawns in homelands, camping for RNG of Koda trials, doing some god-forsaken DRM achievements, doing trashy weapon collection, and grinding Dragonstorm way more than I did even with Tarir. Somehow. Most of those things, I'd rather not do. I could have gone for more Drizzlewood mastery ahievements I guess, but that would also be a grind. overall, that was an experience I could have expected from legendary achievement hunting - but not from kitten mastery track completion.

I have 12 leftover mastery points for IBS.  As for Drizzlewood being a grind, I just do it when I need mats. I don't run it even once a week. Eventually you get there.  And buying the currency you need every day with mats will get you 4 mastery points without even running Drizzlewood.

• Confused 1