Looking for a new Alt to try in EoD

bertinrow.9286

Hey all, I'm a Rev man, I generally just do open world content but am looking to get into more, I have another max character, a Warrior. I enjoy both, but am looking to roll a new character to mess around with in EoD. I've dappled very little in nearly all classes, but right now I'm mostly looking towards Ranger or Engi. So, if you're trying to sell someone on either one of those classes, what would you say? Any input would be appreciated.

Engineer will have the more interesting eSpec in EoD with Mechanist over Ranger Untamed. Also Engineer, while fairly quirky, has a broader appeal in different game modes and uses various builds/eSpecs where Ranger is Soulbeast or bust as Druid is mostly raiding focused I believe. 

If you want straight forward combat mechanics, Ranger may be preferred for you however. Soulbeast is incredibly good in a lot of situations.

Both Ranger and Engineer have strong dps specs.  They are very different themes though, so it depends on what sounds fun to you.  Engineer blows things up with bombs, drinks potions, and cuts things with lasers.  Ranger is your traditional archer/hunter/beastmaster and can be played melee or with a bow.

• Like 1

I cannot speak for Untamed, I purposely didnt play any EoD spec other than Mechanist so I have something new to discover...And also because I'm too lazy to put some work into something I'm not really interested in and is going to be changed.

Now as far Mechanist goes and based on the previous beta, I would say this is arguably the most RP friendly (if you're into that) and the most noob friendly spec (out of all the other Engineer spec at least). It isnt too hard to really play the spec however the result are also not very high as well. The spec is still very cluncky but at this point engineer is a clunky class anyway so whatever. You permanently lose all your F1 to F4 skill, which are replaced by new F1-F3 keys when you summon your mech (we'll get into that later) and you have to rely and babysit your golem because if it dies, you will have fun waiting 50 sec for it to recover. 

Now talking about the F keys, they are the engineer's gimmick which basically gives an alternative version of the skill you equiped. Some skill offer a very strong toolbelt skill which, sometime, is the reason why you would take a skill you wouldnt take otherwise. The loss of the F1 to F4 is a big drawback of the spec that nerf your engineer quite a lot to be fair, for instance the self heal when using the medkit is your F1 which you no longer have access so you better not take too much damage. 

Earlier I said the spec is fairly easy to play and it is true. You basically let your golem do the heavy lifting and you just make sure to support that golem with your damage. You technically have 3 options to build your golem : condition damage, power damage and boon support. But out of the 3, only 2 are worth investing into : condition and boon support. Power is underwhelming and needs to be buffed. When customizing your golem you can see its arms change based on the perk you picked which is very neat but sadly that's where the customization part stops. It would be nice to have more customizable part, like the head and the chassis based on the perk you select but I suppose if you like the current design of the golem, you wouldnt want it to be changed, especially if the end result doesnt look like the golem you want. You can also name the golem. If you like exploring the world with a customizable high tech pet, then I suppose you will enjoy the Mechanist.

Engineer? Ranger???

Nay. There is but one path when choosing a profession. Ask yourself, do you like to see the glint of fear in your enemies eyes as they know all of their tricks and schemes are being smashed to pieces by overwhelming strength? Do you enjoy the thrill of rushing through fields of bones and rivers of blood, dancing to a chorus of the screams of the weak? Do you stand erect at the memories of the carnage wrought upon the cowards who turned tail and fled when they saw you standing to oppose them on the field, only be cut down all the same? Do you have balls so big they are frequently mistaken for trebuchet ammunition?

Thats right, there is but one correct choice. Warrior. All else is inferior and meaningless.

Enemy has robot? Warrior has a mean round house that will shatter that dollar store N64 into pieces.

Enemy fights with nature as it’s companion? Warrior will burn every forest in Tyria to ashes for victory.

Enemy has a pet? Warrior has a space above warrior’s mantle that a stuffed head would look really good on.

Enemy has a laser beam? Warrior has the force of a thousand exploding suns. 

Pretty sure the choice is obvious.

Edited by oscuro.9720
  • Like 1

Holosmith’s two abilities that send enemies flying are hilariously awesome.

Trying to squeeze one more attack out of holoforge before it sets you on fire is thrilling.

Covering a capture point in flame thrower autoattack is brain dead ridiculousness.

Wielding a massive wrench to smite your enemies is throwing your gauntlet in the face of fashion wars.