Here's why EoD is not a great one compared to its predecessors

HoT - It bought us Gliding (mainly), and its been used and is useful in different aspects of the game. Especially to reduce fall damage.

PoF  - It gave us mounts, and its useful for not just travel but its fun.

EoD - Its giving us 3 things,

1.  Fishing - Its not much use except for grinding, and it might be "Fun" for first few weeks, then it gets either annoying or boring.
  2. Skiffs - Only useful for fishing, Skimmer is way better boat and sub.
  3. Siege Turtle - Its a useless mount if you're a solo player, or that you're a SEA player and all your friends are in different time zone to have fun. Plus you need to be in a party to mount, so inviting random player to party or looking for a party to use the mount, wont be easy and be annoying.

Overall, EoD doesnt do well as a expansion, it seems more like a fun mini game.

• Like 20
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 22
  • Sad 1

EoD disappoints me from a features perspective.

It also disappoints from an e-spec perspective. I beta tested all of them, some twice, and I’m just really disappointed with most of them.

I’m still not sure what to do with siege turtle, maybe it will make more sense in the new maps.

I’m still going to play regardless, but only looking forward to new maps and story. The new legendaries are meh if they don’t match your fashion style, but maybe strikes and open world content will get better rewards and some cool new armor sets…?

Edited by Monarc.9726
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

I don't judge anything a failure until I actually get to play it, use it and toss it around. 

We're getting more content. Here's a list of some of them:

1. New lands to explore

2. New story to complete

3. New Elite specs(though not so impressed with them yet)

4. Upgrades to and new strike missions

5. New legendaries(we'll judge them much later)

6. CANTHA - finally!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 5

43 minutes ago, Heibi.4251 said:

I don't judge anything a failure until I actually get to play it, use it and toss it around. 

We're getting more content. Here's a list of some of them:

1. New lands to explore

2. New story to complete

3. New Elite specs(though not so impressed with them yet)

4. Upgrades to and new strike missions

5. New legendaries(we'll judge them much later)

6. CANTHA - finally!

Thats what every expansion brings, but comapring with other expans based on the new game content,eod feels like a mini game

• Like 6
  • Confused 11

We haven't even played in EoD yet, so how does it feel like a mini game? You can't judge it until the content is released. You can only surmise what is in it. And we don't know since ANET is keeping a tight lid on what we actually be doing. They even mentioned that they couldn't show us things because of spoilers. That to me is important. And to most of us who play GW2 think we have a lot to look forward to in EoD. Being pessimistic never helps and is bad for you health.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 12
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Blue D Phoenix.7260 said:

So what you're saying here is basically that introducing mounts in pof was a mistake, since nothing can match the utility they provide when compared to not having mounts pre-pof. At this point it's just being spoiled by one feature and forgetting what "expansion content" actually normally is.

Unless you have something in mind that would somehow match the introduction of mounts?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 6

57 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

So what you're saying here is basically that introducing mounts in pof was a mistake, since nothing can match the utility they provide when compared to not having mounts pre-pof. At this point it's just being spoiled by one feature and forgetting what "expansion content" actually normally is.

Unless you have something in mind that would somehow match the introduction of mounts?

I'm talking about overall addition to the game, glider and mounts became useful, mounts for travel and gliders for safe fall + glide from one to another, if a enemy pushed u up you can glide down somehow. 

Why eod doesn't bring something like that, skiffs and fishing is just a mini game and turtle mount is only useful on a organised party and won't be easy to find a party on your own. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 11

29 minutes ago, Blue D Phoenix.7260 said:

I'm talking about overall addition to the game, glider and mounts became useful, mounts for travel and gliders for safe fall + glide from one to another, if a enemy pushed u up you can glide down somehow. 

Why eod doesn't bring something like that, skiffs and fishing is just a mini game and turtle mount is only useful on a organised party and won't be easy to find a party on your own. 

While this response clears a little more about your expectations, I think you've missed the question being asked, so let me repeat it in hopes of getting an answer here: Unless you have something in mind that would somehow match the introduction of mounts?

In other words: what other feature would you expect to see with this -or any other- expansion in order for it to be somehow worthy

btw "fishing is just for farming/mini game" and mounts... "are just for mobility". Turtle doesn't require anyone to find a party, the limit is 2 players, which means that if anything, you need to find one player. Will it be worth using or just "something fun/different to do"? I don't know. And at this point neither do you, right?

(at this point we're having the same conversation in 2 different threadas, since this thread OP is a copy of what you wrote in another thread. I'd have nothing against picking just one thread to continue responding in 😛 )

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

23 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

While this response clears a little more about your expectations, I think you've missed the question being asked, so let me repeat it in hopes of getting an answer here: Unless you have something in mind that would somehow match the introduction of mounts?

In other words: what other feature would you expect to see with this -or any other- expansion in order for it to be somehow worthy

btw "fishing is just for farming/mini game" and mounts... "are just for mobility". Turtle doesn't require anyone to find a party, the limit is 2 players, which means that if anything, you need to find one player. Will it be worth using or just "something fun/different to do"? I don't know. And at this point neither do you, right?

(at this point we're having the same conversation in 2 different threadas, since this thread OP is a copy of what you wrote in another thread. I'd have nothing against picking just one thread to continue responding in 😛 )

yeah let's continue here, 

anyways I'm new to mmorpg, gw2 is my first, mostly cause I'm a casual player and paying for every month won't fit my budget.  So I was expecting something great, like skill to leave banner notes or something that will be used in all aspects of the game. But this was hit disappointing to find out about fishing, but let's see. 

Also I do hope there's some secret that anet won't tell, like the Griffin one or the music boxes in pof. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

8 minutes ago, Blue D Phoenix.7260 said:

yeah let's continue here, 

anyways I'm new to mmorpg, gw2 is my first, mostly cause I'm a casual player and paying for every month won't fit my budget.  So I was expecting something great, like skill to leave banner notes or something that will be used in all aspects of the game. But this was hit disappointing to find out about fishing, but let's see. 

Also I do hope there's some secret that anet won't tell, like the Griffin one or the music boxes in pof. 

Ok, so that's why I think people complaining about the expansion/s "because PoF added mounts and it was huge!" for the most part just have unrealistic expectations. Whenever asked "what they'd even expect to have here" there's pretty much no answer. Here, I have to admit that I don't think I understand what you mean by "leave banner notes"? The only thing that comes to my mind after reading it is the equivalent of "minecraft signs" where you just set a marker and can write something on it, but it surely can't be it? 😉 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

You may be correct. I wont pass judgement until I've played through all the content at least once.  I'm like some others.  Hoping there's something cool they haven't revealed.  Anet can be pretty sneaky sometimes.   I'm excited and can't wait to see what they have in store.  Sure I've read some things I'm not to keen on but I've also read some things I'm excited about. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Now that I've seen this it makes me think the OP expects a whole brand new game. I've been playing Guild Wars since GW1 beta. An expansion is just what it says, an expansion of the world we are playing in. The stories are either new or a continuation of what we have been doing. In GW1 each story was separate an unrelated until (GW1)Eye of the North where we returned to the aftermath of Burning.

GW2 has been linked stories of the players' dealing with the dragons and our solution. There is so much to do in an MMORPG that I can't see an expansion as a "minigame". A minigame is something like Crabtoss, Southsun Survivor, Snowball Mayhem, etc. So the term "minigame" does not fit an expansion in this case.

Edited by Heibi.4251
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 5

5 hours ago, Blue D Phoenix.7260 said:

HoT - It bought us Gliding (mainly), and its been used and is useful in different aspects of the game. Especially to reduce fall damage.

PoF  - It gave us mounts, and its useful for not just travel but its fun.

EoD - Its giving us 3 things,

1.  Fishing - Its not much use except for grinding, and it might be "Fun" for first few weeks, then it gets either annoying or boring.
  2. Skiffs - Only useful for fishing, Skimmer is way better boat and sub.
  3. Siege Turtle - Its a useless mount if you're a solo player, or that you're a SEA player and all your friends are in different time zone to have fun. Plus you need to be in a party to mount, so inviting random player to party or looking for a party to use the mount, wont be easy and be annoying.

You are complaining about a mount designed for multiplayer, in a multiplayer game? lol. We didn't have one before and soon we will have one, its designed for people who do play together... in this MMO. 
Skiff's too, are multi-player designed. This expansion is revelling in the fact we have friends or guild mates. To build a community. I know when it drops there will be dedicated fishers on boats recruiting people. And boat parties. 

And there is a reason people still fish in Stardew today. They doing Fishing right by making it a minigame. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Mounts are hard to top.

I think it would have been cool to "upgrade" the mounts and make them useable as a companion that fight beside you, kind of like the chocobo in ffxiv. Maybe it would make the game to easy though, but would be fun to level up your mounts and gear them up and even adjust their build/skills.

Pet battles would be awesome as well, finally getting some more use out of the minis.

Anyway, i'm actually pretty stoked about fishing 🙂

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I feel like the community here is going to be just like it was , pre expansion announcement,  within the first three months of EoD. 

GW2 is in maintenance mode. The doom and gloom. Why? Because the feature list and the hype or lack there of, of Cantha for non GW1 players won't hold players interest for 2 plus years, unless  Anet makes an announcement that they are already working on a 4th expansion, which will relax people nerves.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Knighthonor.4061 said:

I feel like the community here is going to be just like it was , pre expansion announcement,  within the first three months of EoD. 

GW2 is in maintenance mode. The doom and gloom. Why? Because the feature list and the hype or lack there of, of Cantha for non GW1 players won't hold players interest for 2 plus years, unless  Anet makes an announcement that they are already working on a 4th expansion, which will relax people nerves.

Expansions base "requirement" is to provide content. Content that includes story, new maps and new especs at the very least (..and then some). If you don't enjoy the game then a single expansion can hardly change that. If you do enjoy the game, the expansion gives you more.

And this is not what "maintenance mode" is, so to sum it up... False.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

There is zero innovation in EoD. Vs the previous expansions and base game, heck even vs the living worlds EoD falls way way way short.

We've come to expect innovation in game play, systems and features. Fishing and skiffs should have been a hot fix to a living world.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 1

It’s so funny any criticism of EoD is met with a ton of confused reactions. Like does anyone need to explain to y’all how fishing and boats have less impact than the features of previous expansions? It is what it is, it’s not about bashing the game just stating the fact. It expands on the previous features but doesn’t bring much else to the table. 
And that’s why it can be considered less valuable than the others - you will probably perfectly get by without buying it which cannot be necessarily said about pof/hot. I know you can troll on core in competitive but I mean being able to do all content without spending extra hours which many people don’t have (imagine)

Edited by Mik.3401
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 12

1 hour ago, Mik.3401 said:

It’s so funny any criticism of EoD is met with a ton of confused reactions. Like does anyone need to explain to y’all how fishing and boats have less impact than the features of previous expansions? It is what it is, it’s not about bashing the game just stating the fact.

Where did you get the idea that this is something needing explanation? If you're wondering why, for example, I am disagreeing with certain types of feedback here, then just read the posts above, since I've explained what I disagree with. I "even" directly acknowledged the "weight" of the mounts right in the first post I've made in this thread: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/107253-heres-why-eod-is-not-a-great-one-compared-to-its-predecessors/?tab=comments#comment-1554106

So what exactly is unclear about what I wrote in the thread? I'll try explaining, no problem.

you will probably perfectly get by without buying it which cannot be necessarily said about pof/hot. I know you can troll on core in competitive but I mean being able to do all content without spending extra hours which many people don’t have (imagine)

What do you mean by that? How are you "fine without eod, but not necessarily without pof/hot"?

(and I don't understand what you mean with "but I mean being able to do all content without spending extra hours")

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

Maybe there are still surprises left that they didn't show us as most game developers learned from the mistakes of Cyberpunk 2077 that showing too much stuff too soon creates too much hype and expectations which hurt the game in the end 🤷‍♂️ 
I'm still hoping for some surprises although I have no expectations at all and I'm just happy we return to Cantha again. Still the turtle mount is for someone playing 99% solo (wouldn't be solo if my FL wouldn't be dead for 7 years  and no fitting guilds wanting me) not very appealing and I hope it might change. I mean even ESO got a solo help with Blackwood's companions and I can imagine a similar thing in gw2 as gw1 already had heroes and henchmen and I'd love they'd bring this feature back. Even if it would mean grinding a lot of platinum (the upper currency of gold in gw1 making a return would be nice too) and materials for hero armor. The gw2 engine is basically just a modified version of the gw1 engine and the possibilities are there already. 
Even though there are no playable Tengu or a HH system like in gw1 I'm still excited. 

2 hours ago, Mik.3401 said:

It’s so funny any criticism of EoD is met with a ton of confused reactions. Like does anyone need to explain to y’all how fishing and boats have less impact than the features of previous expansions? It is what it is, it’s not about bashing the game just stating the fact. It expands on the previous features but doesn’t bring much else to the table. 
And that’s why it can be considered less valuable than the others - you will probably perfectly get by without buying it which cannot be necessarily said about pof/hot. I know you can troll on core in competitive but I mean being able to do all content without spending extra hours which many people don’t have (imagine)

Yes Thank You! I been trying to tell it, I'm not good with words. There's no need to buy EoD cause skiffs, fishing and seige turtle are pretty much just an extra while gliding and mounts helps us in all aspects of the game. 

Skiffs and fishing won't be useful when at most times we are on land, doing metas, farming and stuff. Seige turtles seems to only good with another player, but communication is a big thing here, which solo players will find it hard to. 

I don't know why everyone's so pissed at just saying it's not as good as it's predecessors. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 9