15000 max Achivs from dailies! Why???

As far as I remember it was achievement hunters who asked for the cap to be added. This was back when each daily gave 1AP and you could do a maximum of 10 per day. Some people were doing 10 dailies every day, and got sick of doing the same things over and over and didn't like the idea of doing that forever, but also knew they couldn't hold their leaderboard position without it. So the cap was added to enable them to move on to other activities. 

I suppose now you only need to do 3 dailies for 10AP the cap could be increased or removed, but at least in the short term it would bring back that problem.

Personally I don't mind either way. I have something like 8K AP from dailies/monthlies, I might hit the cap one day but the points are not an incentive to me to do it (I mainly complete it on days when I'm playing WvW) so it wouldn't make any difference to me if I'm capoed or if it's raised/removed. 

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

I'm still waiting for someone to name one achievement that gives limitless AP.  I've been waiting for years and no one has replied.

Probably because it's a question that isn't related to the daily AP cap. Daily AP aren't a single achievement that give limitless AP, they're a collection of various achievements that grant AP if you do enough of them, so I'm not sure why you're asking or how it's relevant to the discussion.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

19 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

If there was no cap, wouldn't those 'casual veterans' have even more reason to 'hold what ground they have'?  I mean, why would they stop doing dailies if they were concerned with their AP rank/score?

Actually, it IS kind of like this. The cap was introduced because the top leaderboard players were complaining they have to keep doing dailies to stay at their spot. they knew, that with the cap in place, their hold on top spots over newer players would be guaranteed, because of all the achievements they did that are no longer accessible. So, now they can afford to take a short break and slip behind, because they can always regain their ground whenever they want to. The only way for them to lose the advantage they managed to build is now to stop playing completely.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Yes, that was when they needed to do 10 dailies each day.  Now, with only 3, I don't think it is much of concern, as they often only take a few minutes to complete. 

Both the change to dailies structure and the cap were introduced at the same time. And it's still the same point - when there was no cap, a day without doing dailies meant a slide down in leadership position for that top player, and a chance for new players to catch up a little bit. Now it does not.

But yes, most likely the change to daily structure would have been enough then. But i guess Anet just doesn't want to bother creating rewards for higher AP tiers.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Probably because it's a question that isn't related to the daily AP cap. Daily AP aren't a single achievement that give limitless AP, they're a collection of various achievements that grant AP if you do enough of them, so I'm not sure why you're asking or how it's relevant to the discussion.

It is relevant.  Look at the holiday achievements, they're just like the dailies and they have limits.  There are a number of of achievements that follow the exact model that you're so obsessed with and they all have limited AP.  All achievements have limited AP.  The only reason people want the daily to have unlimited is because it's easy.  If it was hard to do the daily, then people wouldn't be screaming to make it limitless.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

It is relevant.  Look at the holiday achievements, they're just like the dailies and they have limits.  There are a number of of achievements that follow the exact model that you're so obsessed with and they all have limited AP.  All achievements have limited AP.  The only reason people want the daily to have unlimited is because it's easy.  If it was hard to do the daily, then people wouldn't be screaming to make it limitless.

Eh, holiday events come once a year and you can complete their meta achievements for AP once a year. That seems fair to me - You do the thing, you get the AP; those achievements aren't difficult either. They're capped at something like 20 years of participation, but if we somehow managed to reach that cap, I'd want it lifted too for the same reasons that I advocate for lifting the cap on dailies. AP for dailies encourages me to do dailies which encourages me to go do content I normally don't do which helps to populate maps and events that may need a boost - hitting the cap has reduced that significantly for me.

It's not a matter of being obsessed or screaming about anything, we just disagree about the cap.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Eh, holiday events come once a year and you can complete their meta achievements for AP once a year. That seems fair to me - You do the thing, you get the AP; those achievements aren't difficult either. They're capped at something like 20 years of participation, but if we somehow managed to reach that cap, I'd want it lifted too for the same reasons that I advocate for lifting the cap on dailies. AP for dailies encourages me to do dailies which encourages me to go do content I normally don't do which helps to populate maps and events that may need a boost - hitting the cap has reduced that significantly for me.

It's not a matter of being obsessed or screaming about anything, we just disagree about the cap.

That's just one of the achievements.  What about the one for doing 5 dailies?

Edited by DarcShriek.5829

4 minutes ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

What about the festival dailies?

What about them? Things like Eve of the Mad King are capped at 100AP and doing the entire festival meta each year is still capped at 20 years. Because of this, I often skip festival dailies unless they award something I want, yet I'll do the meta because of the AP and skin it awards. The logic is the same in terms of motivation and what happens when I reach a cap.

Prior to 2017, Halloween dailies for example granted 1AP apiece, and this was later adjusted to the current model. I wouldn't be opposed to returning to that, but the yearly meta AP feel like a fair tradeoff in terms of recurring AP for repeated activities.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Aint it 1000ap for the festival meta so 20 years time 50ap each years is exactly how long it will take right?

Yes, but that's not what I'm talking about.  I'm talking about the achievement you get for doing 5 dailies.

Anyways, even with the false differentiation of achievements there still hasn't been a good reason given to make dailies infinite.  All other Achievements award only a finite number of AP.  There is no reason to make dailies an exception to this.  There are many people here that have surpassed the cap and still log in nearly every day.  If you're only logging in to collect the daily, then maybe you should consider a different hobby that you would enjoy more.

Edited by DarcShriek.5829
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

there still hasn't been a good reason given to make dailies infinite.  All other Achievements award only a finite number of AP.  There is no reason to make dailies an exception to this.  There are many people here that have surpassed the cap and still log in nearly every day.  If you're only logging in to collect the daily, then maybe you should consider a different hobby that you would enjoy more.

There have been reasons, you just disagree with them (which is fine, by the way). Daily AP were infinite - until the cap was introduced. The cap made me stop doing dailies as often, therefore I'd start doing them again if it were lifted. I think having more people doing dailies is a good thing for reasons I stated earlier in the thread. AP aren't the only reason I log in or play, I just enjoy collecting them, and would appreciate having dailies back as an option for doing so.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

There have been reasons, you just disagree with them (which is fine, by the way). Daily AP were infinite - until the cap was introduced. The cap made me stop doing dailies as often, therefore I'd start doing them again if it were lifted. I think having more people doing dailies is a good thing for reasons I stated earlier in the thread. AP aren't the only reason I log in or play, I just enjoy collecting them, and would appreciate having dailies back as an option for doing so.

The cap was first noted in the Wiki in June of 2014.  It may have been the first time someone that acquired enough points to hit the cap noticed.  I have no idea when the first players started acquiring enough APs to hit a cap; thus, we may never know if the cap was implemented the same time as Dailies were. 

1 hour ago, mythical.6315 said:

And how many who want the cap removed are requesting it because they want the achievement armor but do not want to do the permanent achievements like everyone else did to obtain them?

I don't know. I,for one, already have both armor sets. And i'm quite sure most of the other players that have already hit the cap are at least at the ~30k AP level. Probably higher.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

The cap was first noted in the Wiki in June of 2014.  It may have been the first time someone that acquired enough points to hit the cap noticed.  I have no idea when the first players started acquiring enough APs to hit a cap; thus, we may never know if the cap was implemented the same time as Dailies were. 

We know, because we've been told about the cap. And we've been told they're going to implement it at the same time they did the dailies rework.

• Like 3

Odd, then, since the rework was 6 months later.  🤷‍♂️ And the Wiki doesn't claim something is in effect before it actually is.

It was a long time ago, so, of course you must be correct, and this one time the Wiki changed its procedure.  I'd love to see the announcement, to refresh my memory.  :classic_smile:

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
more info

7 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

There have been reasons, you just disagree with them (which is fine, by the way). Daily AP were infinite - until the cap was introduced. The cap made me stop doing dailies as often, therefore I'd start doing them again if it were lifted. I think having more people doing dailies is a good thing for reasons I stated earlier in the thread.

But what were those reasons? "AP are a personal measurement of progress"? Sure, they are, but not so much if you get infinitely grindable APs for repeating same few basic tasks, right? I don't see how replaying the same dailies for 9 years is "progress" which needs to be shown by majority of acquired achievement points -it really seems like you're trying to sugarcoat your true intentions and hope nobody will question it.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

The caps are designed to create some "catch-up potential" for extreme achievement seekers. It'll still take years to get anywhere near 30k or 40k AP but someone who started in GW2 in 2016 could potentially "beat" a hardcore achievement-hunter who started in 2013 if they chase rarer/harder/more-tedious achievements in addition to maxing out their festivals/dailies.

As Danikat points out, it also gives top-0.01% veterans room to "take time off" without feeling like they're going to immediately lose their standing.

Edited by ASP.8093
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

But what were those reasons?

There are only two pages in this thread and you couldn't find them? I'll reiterate.

These were the reasons I gave for wanting the cap lifted:
- AP are a personal measurement of progress, and it doesn't matter how many other people have
- I also never felt the pressure to do dailies; I'd do them if I had the time or inclination since the AP was nice
- I definitely feel demotivated to do them (dailies) now that AP are no longer available; I very seldom go for a whole set of them like I used to
- AP for dailies encourages me to do dailies which encourages me to go do content I normally don't do which helps to populate maps and events that may need a boost

I'll add a few more, since you're interested:
- If the cap was never lifted, it wouldn't change the fact that some players will always lead the AP scoreboard and new players won't be able to catch up as long as ArenaNet continues adding new content and achievements (which they seem to do with every release); birthday gifts are another example of a system where you can't catch up 10 years into a game's lifespan
- The existence of daily/monthly AP never stopped me from chasing other sources or limited me to only doing easy things - I chase AP for fun wherever they are

It's really not that complex. I find AP motivating and associating AP with dailies brought me regularly to areas of the game I don't normally go to; the cap put an end to that when I reached it. What are your reasons for wanting to keep the cap? What are the benefits?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

There are only two pages in this thread and you couldn't find them? I'll reiterate.

These were the reasons I gave for wanting the cap lifted:
- AP are a personal measurement of progress, and it doesn't matter how many other people have
- I also never felt the pressure to do dailies; I'd do them if I had the time or inclination since the AP was nice
- I definitely feel demotivated to do them (dailies) now that AP are no longer available; I very seldom go for a whole set of them like I used to
- AP for dailies encourages me to do dailies which encourages me to go do content I normally don't do which helps to populate maps and events that may need a boost

I'll add a few more, since you're interested:
- If the cap was never lifted, it wouldn't change the fact that some players will always lead the AP scoreboard and new players won't be able to catch up as long as ArenaNet continues adding new content and achievements (which they seem to do with every release); birthday gifts are another example of a system where you can't catch up 10 years into a game's lifespan
- The existence of daily/monthly AP never stopped me from chasing other sources or limited me to only doing easy things - I chase AP for fun wherever they are

It's really not that complex. I find AP motivating and associating AP with dailies brought me regularly to areas of the game I don't normally go to; the cap put an end to that when I reached it. What are your reasons for wanting to keep the cap? What are the benefits?

Well, one is that since the 4-event Daily takes place in Core Tyria maps, there's already much lamenting about L80s clearing those events so fast that newer players don't have a chance.  If removing the cap incentivized more 'Vets' to compete those events, it seems there would be even more laments and may discourage new players. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Well, one is that since the 4-event Daily takes place in Core Tyria maps, there's already much lamenting about L80s clearing those events so fast that newer players don't have a chance.  If removing the cap incentivized more 'Vets' to compete those events, it seems there would be even more laments and may discourage new players. 

That seems like a flimsy reason. Is that the best you can think of? I would respond to that reason saying that only event completionist (4 events same map) "might" be impacted like this while other events such as Daily world boss, daily jp, daily dungeon, daily fractal all directly benefit and would be easier for new players with higher populations of players in lfg, doing portals, tagging up, etc. Even the daily 4 event completion since its for any 4 events (all over the map) it seems like having plenty of people taking part would benefit new players far more frequently than it would hurt them.

• Confused 3