Why can't i remove the lvl 80 boost from a shared inventory slot? [merged]

I preordered EoD, got the shared inventory slot, but i also got a lvl 80 boost in it that i have no characters to use on...

Why is it mandatory to have this in the shared slot? Why can't i move it to my bank and use later, while using the shared slot for something else?

What happens if i use it on a lvl 80 character, does something different happen? Do i get something out of it?

Or do i now need to go buy a character slot, make a character that i'll probably never play, just so i can spend the boost and use a shared inventory slot?

Edited by Veprovina.4876
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Rasimir.6239 said:

You can just use the boost on an existing lvl 80 character. It'll give you the equipment, bags, etc. that a boosted character would've gotten, which you can then decide to use or trash at your convenience.

That's a waste of the boost then because all of that is either character bound and can't even be salvaged, or i have better items already on my characters... 

I just fail to see why the boost needs to be in the shared slot.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

My guess is they put it into a shared slot and made it impossible to delete or remove without using it because it's very likely to be the first valuable or important item new players get and therefore the one most likely to get accidentally lost or deleted. Even if you couldn't delete the item itself players could put it in their inventory then delete the character. Then they'd be contacting support to get it back, which would waste their time.

As other people have said if you don't want it you can just use it on an existing character who is already level 80. They'll get a full set of exotic gear with celestial stats and the Level-80 Boost Package which contains 2g, some dyes, food and 5 teleport to friend items, among other things. All of that can be kept or deleted if you don't want it. (Their actual equipment and skills won't be changed, the boost equipment goes into their inventory.)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, The Boz.2038 said:

...you got the shared slot for free. It's a free gift. If you value it above the booster, delete the booster. 

...the item you can't delete, you mean?

Thankfully they stack, so each additional booster only takes the existing slot up. Dumb design choice.

• Like 3

On 1/25/2022 at 1:29 PM, The Boz.2038 said:

...you got the shared slot for free. It's a free gift. If you value it above the booster, delete the booster. 

It's promoted as something you get for buying the expansion. It's not free. It's included in a 30$ purchase.

I see no reason to why the boost is locked untill you use it. Seems like a valid criticism to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

i imagine it was to do with how the "trial" is coded. you use the "trial" by clicking on the boost (in the shared slot) then your character is "locked" into Silverwastes zone until you either end the trial or consume the boost to make it permanent. if you want to "trial" all the classes, you can, but only one class at a time. if you trial these classes by deleting the previous trial character and use the same character slot, wouldn't it suck if you accidentally deleted the boost when deleting the character? with the 25$US boost "locked" into a shared storage slot until consumed, you can never accidentally delete it by deleting a trial character., and therefore never accidentally delete a 25$US item. I imagine there's more to it than that. But it makes things tons easier for customer service to not have to waste time on accidents, and makes it a lot easier for players to trial different classes without having to remember where the boost is.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Linken.6345 said:

You do know that you can activate it on any character 80 or below so no you dont need to have a character slot free.

Didn't the previous posters just explain that they couldn't do that? :classic_blink:

I assumed it had been changed since they made this claim. Of course, if it still works the old way, then you are 100% correct.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, jokke.6239 said:

It's promoted as something you get for buying the expansion. It's not free. It's included in a 30$ purchase.

I see no reason to why the boost is locked untill you use it. Seems like a valid criticism to me.

It is literally not promoted, or mentioned, on any sale page. Level 80 boost? Sure. Shared slot? Nope.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Didn't the previous posters just explain that they couldn't do that? :classic_blink:

I assumed it had been changed since they made this claim. Of course, if it still works the old way, then you are 100% correct.

You can use it. You get free gear, a bag, 2 gold, random stuff. You also get boosted to 80, but you already are that.

Above poster "corrected" me saying "delete", because you can't "right-click and delete" the item. I just didn't feel the need to write out "use the item on any character, and then delete the items the booster gives you that you do not need, and keep the ones that are valuable". The willingness to engage in bad faith readings and sophistry on this forum will never cease to amaze me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I just bought the collection. My character is lvl 76. I have no interest in creating 2 new characters right now, and don't exactly want to play this character, potentinally for years, with the boosts permanently stuck in my inventory.

I just paid 50$ for a game. Make the boosts available via some menu or something, let me put it in my bank or an alts inventory.

This is ridiculous.

Edited by infamous.8024
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3