Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Why Is The White Tiger Mount Skin NOT a Warclaw Skin?


Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, Midnight.7526 said:

Seriously. Why make a cat skin for a dog mount? 

This seems an odd way to look at it in an game where there are already plenty of gemstore skins that change mounts to a completely different animal.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seriously. Why make a cat skin for a dog mount? Especially when you have a cat mount in the game. I would buy it instantly if it were for the warclaw mount.

There's a simple explanation for this in that more people have access to the jackal. Besides why would you want to use the warclaw in PVE? edit: if you want a "cat" skin for warclaw there is the Tu

There's already a tiger warclaw skin.

1 hour ago, Gibson.4036 said:

This seems an odd way to look at it in an game where there are already plenty of gemstore skins that change mounts to a completely different animal.

 

While I think making a tiger skin when we already have a mount that has multiple tiger skins is pretty stupid, dogmount is already a deer (and its a pretty rad skin), so dogmount can also probably be a cat I guess (even though it really shouldnt).  

Edited by 523462AE-09F2-4A91-BDE5-3D23BFA48EBA
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 523462AE-09F2-4A91-BDE5-3D23BFA48EBA said:

 

While I think making a tiger skin when we already have a mount that has multiple tiger skins is pretty stupid, dogmount is already a deer (and its a pretty rad skin), so dogmount can also probably be a cat I guess (even though it really shouldnt).  

Agreed on the deer. That is one of the sweetest mount skins in the game, IMO. If I spent much on the gemstore, I'd definitely have it for my ranger.

We also already have a kitsune fox spirit skin, which I guess is at least another kind of canine. There are several actual dogs. We also have a bull.

Is this just a cats vs. dogs, thing?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I used raptor as my default mount for the longest time, then switched up to jackal just for a change, and because I have a weakness for teleporting in pretty much any game. Running around with my kids on their raptors and me on jackal I've discovered that on a lot of terrain with the right use of bond of vigor and the three teleports I can actually get out ahead of them against their two longer jumps + BoV.

Last night I jumped into the Lunar New Year race in Divinity's Reach just after it started. With all the twists and turns and lack of long straight shots in that race I was able to pull from tenth place or so into third against all the raptor riders.

It's definitely not useless.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Agreed on the deer. That is one of the sweetest mount skins in the game, IMO. If I spent much on the gemstore, I'd definitely have it for my ranger.

We also already have a kitsune fox spirit skin, which I guess is at least another kind of canine. There are several actual dogs. We also have a bull.

Is this just a cats vs. dogs, thing?

 

For me its more of a "the warclaw already has multiple tiger skins so why does the jackal have a tiger skin instead of something that isnt 'oh thats a tiger'" thing, because, outside of some of the novelty skins, theres been a pretty good distinction in the looks and feels of the mounts.

 

It would be like making a hippogryph skyscale skin that made the skyscale look like its a griffon. . 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, 523462AE-09F2-4A91-BDE5-3D23BFA48EBA said:

For me its more of a "the warclaw already has multiple tiger skins so why does the jackal have a tiger skin instead of something that isnt 'oh thats a tiger'" thing, because, outside of some of the novelty skins, theres been a pretty good distinction in the looks and feels of the mounts.

 

It would be like making a hippogryph skyscale skin that made the skyscale look like its a griffon. . 

Jackal -> pve mount

Warclaw -> wvw mount

When you see a tiger mount in wvw, you know it's warclaw since it literally can't be anything else. When you see a tiger mount in pve, you can rightfully assume it's jackal, since warclaw in pve has pretty much no utility when compared to pve mounts -but in actuality when you see tiger mount in pve, you probably mostly don't care what it is, since it changes nothing for you in a non-competitive area.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2022 at 7:21 AM, DarcShriek.5829 said:

There's already a tiger warclaw skin.

 

There are 2 "tiger-like" warclaw skins, the striped grimalkin and the tundra grimalkin (though they have wide faces like a lion, so they're more like a liger - a cross between a tiger and a lion to be honest...), but they're not as tiger-y as the white tiger jackal mount skin because of all the frilly bits - particularly around the face. It's also more muscly and realistic as a tiger, and has a lovely golden harness.

 

Most players think it should have been a warclaw skin, and I agree.

 

I still emptied my bank in order to get enough gems to buy it, even though I hardly EVER use the jackal mount, but I agree with the others in that it SHOULD have been a warclaw skin. Again, the 2 tiger-like warclaw skins are tiger-y, but they just aren't as nice as the white tiger mount.

 

It's like the Chuka and Champawat legendary shortbow. Most players including myself initially thought it was a longbow, because it looked long, but when I found out it was a shortbow, I was absolutely gutted because I never use shortbow, but I love the skin. I was really sad that it wasn't a longbow, because it should have been a longbow IMO.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Zaoda.1653 said:

 

There are 2 "tiger-like" warclaw skins, the striped grimalkin and the tundra grimalkin (though they have wide faces like a lion, so they're more like a liger - a cross between a tiger and a lion to be honest...), but they're not as tiger-y as the white tiger jackal mount skin because of all the frilly bits - particularly around the face. It's also more muscly and realistic as a tiger, and has a lovely golden harness.

 

Most players think it should have been a warclaw skin, and I agree.

 

I still emptied my bank in order to get enough gems to buy it, even though I hardly EVER use the jackal mount, but I agree with the others in that it SHOULD have been a warclaw skin. Again, the 2 tiger-like warclaw skins are tiger-y, but they just aren't as nice as the white tiger mount.

 

It's like the Chuka and Champawat legendary shortbow. Most players including myself initially thought it was a longbow, because it looked long, but when I found out it was a shortbow, I was absolutely gutted because I never use shortbow, but I love the skin. I was really sad that it wasn't a longbow, because it should have been a longbow IMO.

Actually there are three.  This is more evidence that people don't pay attention to warclaw skins.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zaoda.1653 said:

 

There are 2 "tiger-like" warclaw skins, the striped grimalkin and the tundra grimalkin (though they have wide faces like a lion, so they're more like a liger - a cross between a tiger and a lion to be honest...), but they're not as tiger-y as the white tiger jackal mount skin because of all the frilly bits - particularly around the face. It's also more muscly and realistic as a tiger, and has a lovely golden harness.

 

Most players think it should have been a warclaw skin, and I agree.

 

I still emptied my bank in order to get enough gems to buy it, even though I hardly EVER use the jackal mount, but I agree with the others in that it SHOULD have been a warclaw skin. Again, the 2 tiger-like warclaw skins are tiger-y, but they just aren't as nice as the white tiger mount.

 

It's like the Chuka and Champawat legendary shortbow. Most players including myself initially thought it was a longbow, because it looked long, but when I found out it was a shortbow, I was absolutely gutted because I never use shortbow, but I love the skin. I was really sad that it wasn't a longbow, because it should have been a longbow IMO.

But the tiger mount goes so well with my short bow 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you think a dev team that makes a hummingbird skin for skimmer (that can go underwater ... can you imagine how weird riding a bird underwater is?) is concerned about a tiger skin on a Jackal mount? I don't. 

It just looks good ... and that's all that matters. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2022 at 10:14 AM, Midnight.7526 said:

Seriously. Why make a cat skin for a dog mount? Especially when you have a cat mount in the game. I would buy it instantly if it were for the warclaw mount.

This.

 

I would have bought it immediately if it worked for my warclaw. Perhaps a skin that can work for two mounts would work?

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2022 at 10:14 AM, Midnight.7526 said:

Seriously. Why make a cat skin for a dog mount? Especially when you have a cat mount in the game. I would buy it instantly if it were for the warclaw mount.

 

On 1/25/2022 at 10:18 AM, Infusion.7149 said:

There's a simple explanation for this in that more people have access to the jackal. Besides why would you want to use the warclaw in PVE?

edit: if you want a "cat" skin for warclaw there is the Tundra Grimalkin , Outrider skin, and Vigilant Saberclaw.

You both made great points. The best solution is perhaps to add the same skin as a warclaw in a few months. 😉

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

I mean, do you have any data to support the claim that 'people don't buy Warclaw skins' or 'don't know that Warclaw skins even exist'? I buy them when I see one I like (same as with any other mount skin), and if I were a person who favored both Warclaw and Jackal, I'd buy the same skin twice to have it available on my mount of choice. Given that there are plenty of skins available for mounts that are virtually identical with only slight differences in markings (Skyscale is a good example of this), I'm not sure why the concept is controversial.

So I assume you bought the Hound of Balthazar skin when it came out even though it's a dog skin, and thought nothing of it? I would have liked it as a Jackal skin, but didn't complain. Others have mentioned there are several tiger skins already for the Warclaw so I'm not entirely sure why this is an issue for you.

  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mezzoluna.6704 said:

So I assume you bought the Hound of Balthazar skin when it came out even though it's a dog skin, and thought nothing of it?

Nah, I'm not really fond of the design for Balthazar's dogs, so the only Balthazar doggo skins I have (helmet, a handful of weapon skins) came from randomized wardrobe unlocks. Thing is, the tiger skin being available for Jackal - a doggo - isn't a problem - the fact that it isn't available for Warclaw - a big cat - is what I find odd. A similar argument could be made for giving the Hound of Balthazar to the Jackal, and I rightly would not be opposed.

  • Confused 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Nah, I'm not really fond of the design for Balthazar's dogs, so the only Balthazar doggo skins I have (helmet, a handful of weapon skins) came from randomized wardrobe unlocks. Thing is, the tiger skin being available for Jackal - a doggo - isn't a problem - the fact that it isn't available for Warclaw - a big cat - is what I find odd. A similar argument could be made for giving the Hound of Balthazar to the Jackal, and I rightly would not be opposed.

If you want a warclaw tiger skin, try the savage gladiator.  Don't pay attention to the posters that are trying to gaslight you by saying the only tiger like skins are the two graymalkin skins.  The savage gladiator skin is a legit tiger skin.  If you dye it white, it's a white tiger skin.

Edited by DarcShriek.5829
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

If you want a warclaw tiger skin, try the savage gladiator.  Don't pay attention to the posters that are trying to gaslight you by saying the only tiger like skins are the two graymalkin skins.  The savage gladiator skin is a legit tiger skin.  If you dye it white, it's a white tiger skin.

Stop overusing "gaslighting", since this is not what is happening here as far as I can see. Having a different opinion, missing the existance of a skin or even just liking another model more has nothing to do with gaslighting.

The model of savage gladiator is even further from white tiger skin than grimalkin is. And for people in this thread that see the lack of white tiger skin for warclaw as a problem (which, again, isn't a problem for me, even if I'd prefer it as a warclaw skin -probably mostly because I already have good skins for jackal) just saying "there's a stripy cat available for warclaw" isn't exactly making a whole lot of difference, since it's about the whole skin appearence and not just stripes themselves.

 

For me it's true that I've ignored the grimalkin skin for warclaw after seeing how weirdly/badly/comically it dyes: https://i.imgur.com/hbo5RYV.png

I think it was in relation to Tundra Grimalkin and I don't even know if it was fixed/changed again, but seeing how Striped Gr shares the model and is basically a change of color pattern, I'm not going to blindly throw gems at it if it dyes how I don't want it to dye.

 

 

Again, I understand why it's a jackal skin and I don't have a problem with it at all, just pointing out that writing "there's a savage gladiator skin as a tiger!" kind of misses the point when it's completely different from the one being mentioned in this thread. And no, I don't want the same skin re-released for warclaw, imo that's weird. 😄  

 

1 hour ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

I think Anet realized that putting more skins on the jackal is going to see a lot more purchases, unlike the Warclaw.

Yup +more diversified skin choice for the mount = bigger chance the player willing to spend on it will find something they like.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My only complaint about the tiger jackal skin is that I didn't realise until after buying it that the gold parts of the harness (and the tiny red bits below the saddle) can't be dyed. But that's on me for not looking up examples beforehand.

It's also not a big problem for me, it just limits how I might use it on some characters.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Again, I understand why it's a jackal skin and I don't have a problem with it at all, just pointing out that writing "there's a savage gladiator skin as a tiger!" kind of misses the point when it's completely different from the one being mentioned in this thread.

This isn't the first time I've agreed with you about something, but it might be the first time I say so in a post. That's it exactly; the White Tiger skin would look nice as a Warclaw skin and other available skins for Warclaw are not close to it. It'd be the same as getting a new Moa skin for the Springer and then telling Raptor fans that there are other bird-like skins to choose from as if they're the same thing.

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

And no, I don't want the same skin re-released for warclaw, imo that's weird. 😄

..and we're back to disagreeing. Tale as old as time, but I'm alright with that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

If you want a warclaw tiger skin, try the savage gladiator.  Don't pay attention to the posters that are trying to gaslight you by saying the only tiger like skins are the two graymalkin skins.  The savage gladiator skin is a legit tiger skin.  If you dye it white, it's a white tiger skin.

The savage gladiator is a tiger skin, but it is also layered with armor pieces to conceal much of the cat. I cannot speak for others but that is why I have not purchased the skin. It isn't that I hate it so much as I cannot justify spending the gems to have a mount whose primary reason for buying, for me, would be concealed.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

Actually there are three.  This is more evidence that people don't pay attention to warclaw skins.

 

Thank you for your snarky insult, but I do pay attention to warclaw skins. Not that I should have to justify myself either, but I have max WvW rank (that's 10,000 if you don't know) and play WvW everyday. I personally don't consider the savage gladiator skin a tiger skin because, quite frankly, it's fugly and the armor covers at least 50% of the whole body.

Edited by Zaoda.1653
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...