Any smoother way to move in combat? Q, E, S, V keys seem slow and awkward. Especially for a Charr.

axian.8519

I use a mix of 3 options:
1) Keyboard keys, with the left and right keys bound to strafe rather than turn.

2) Holding down both mouse buttons - your character will run forwards and instantly turn in whichever direction you move the mouse.
3) Auto-run + right mouse button/action camera - Same as 2 but you don't have to hold down any buttons so there's less risk of RSI.

It sounds complicated, but I quickly got to the point where I don't think about it. Most of the time I use the mouse buttons and if I'm going a longer distance and holding the buttons down would be uncomfortable I turn on auto-run and possibly action camera (unless I want the mouse for other things) - I have both of those bound to buttons on my mouse, so it's easy to turn them on and off quickly. I only use the keyboard if I need precise movements, usually in tricky jumping puzzles or when a fight needs careful strafing.

Thanks for the quick response. I switched to a,d and that helps. Q rather than v seems easier. I'll try auto run.

My mouse has two side buttons keyed to attacks 1,2. That helps a lot. Well worth upgrading from a generic mouse.

Experience will help. Standing still and hitting is not good for sure!

8 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

I had to squint really hard at the keys mentioned. The heck is a QESV movement scheme, lol.

WASD + whatever convenient keys for dodging and weapon swap will cover most of combat basics. I use the mouse thumb keys for dodge/swap. 

Yeah, I was wondering the same.  I use ESDF with strafe bound in place of turn.  Seems to work fine.

18 hours ago, axian.8519 said:

I find using the q, e, s, v keys in combat to move around awkward. Any better way, or is this the only way?

I use a Razer Tartarus V2 with QESW bound to the 4 directions of the joystick, and then all other keys bound to functions I use frequently. Then I use mouse more or less only to steer.

1 hour ago, Sindust.7059 said:

There is an option to enable action camera, that's what I use. That way your character turns wherever you point the mouse, and shoots in that direction too.

The usefulness of that really depends on where and with what class though. Its totally broken in WvW with a pistol/toolkit engie due to the way skills work, lol. It even disables automatically when you cap an objective, presumably just to spite you.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 10:58 AM, Danikat.8537 said:

I use a mix of 3 options:
1) Keyboard keys, with the left and right keys bound to strafe rather than turn.

2) Holding down both mouse buttons - your character will run forwards and instantly turn in whichever direction you move the mouse.
3) Auto-run + right mouse button/action camera - Same as 2 but you don't have to hold down any buttons so there's less risk of RSI.

It sounds complicated, but I quickly got to the point where I don't think about it. Most of the time I use the mouse buttons and if I'm going a longer distance and holding the buttons down would be uncomfortable I turn on auto-run and possibly action camera (unless I want the mouse for other things) - I have both of those bound to buttons on my mouse, so it's easy to turn them on and off quickly. I only use the keyboard if I need precise movements, usually in tricky jumping puzzles or when a fight needs careful strafing.

I'm left-handed and use the mouse in my left hand, and I use a similar setup, except for the action cam, which I've never gotten the hang of using.

I  have a keyboard with a number pad on the right side.  I mapped the movement keys to the arrows, with the left and right set to strafe.  My "use item" key (I think is F in default setup? I can't remember anymore) is the End key right above the up-arrow.  My skills 1-5 are mapped to the 1-5 keys on the number pad.

Mouse is in left hand using both buttons to move and turn, arrow keys to move while fighting melee.  Number keys for main skills, and mouse for 6-0.  Since I set things up this way I find it really easy to move around and fight.

Edited by Kaliwenda.3428
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kaliwenda.3428 said:

I'm left-handed and use the mouse in my left hand, and I use a similar setup, except for the action cam, which I've never gotten the hang of using.

I  have a keyboard with a number pad on the right side.  I mapped the movement keys to the arrows, with the left and right set to strafe.  My "use item" key (I think is F in default setup? I can't remember anymore) is the End key right above the up-arrow.  My skills 1-5 are mapped to the 1-5 keys on the number pad.

Mouse is in left hand using both buttons to move and turn, arrow keys to move while fighting melee.  Number keys for main skills, and mouse for 6-0.  Since I set things up this way I find it really easy to move around and fight.

I do almost exactly the same thing. 😁

I didn't mention it in my last post because the OP didn't mention being left-handed and I think for right-handed people trying to use the number pad and arrow keys isn't very practical. A bit like trying to use WASD and the space bar if you're left-handed.

Only difference is I use the extra buttons on my mouse for the 'use item' key and some other things and the rest of the number pad for skills. I put heal on the 0 button because it's big and easy to find, I call it my 'panic button', then utility skills on 6-8 and elite skill on 9.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I do almost exactly the same thing. 😁

I didn't mention it in my last post because the OP didn't mention being left-handed and I think for right-handed people trying to use the number pad and arrow keys isn't very practical. A bit like trying to use WASD and the space bar if you're left-handed.

Only difference is I use the extra buttons on my mouse for the 'use item' key and some other things and the rest of the number pad for skills. I put heal on the 0 button because it's big and easy to find, I call it my 'panic button', then utility skills on 6-8 and elite skill on 9.

Heal on 0 is an excellent idea and I will set that up as soon as I'm in game later today!

What kind of mouse do you have?  Is it a left-handed mouse?

12 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I have to wonder why race makes a difference.

Charrs = chonks.  I have a charr revenant that I took thru the living story for the "return to" achievements, but anytime there was a JP or tight space involved, I ditched him for my asura.  Same for the shooter events in Drizzlewood - I couldn't see around the charr's body to aim for the targets.  I love him to bits but he can be awkward to play at times, at least for me.

Edited by Kaliwenda.3428
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Kaliwenda.3428 said:

What kind of mouse do you have?  Is it a left-handed mouse?

Nope, it's a Logitch G400 which if I remember correctly was advertised as a right-handed or ambidexterous mouse...which of course means it's right-handed, but it's only got 2 buttons on the side and the way I hold it I can hit them with the side of my ring finger. I don't tend to look for left-handed mice because I've always found they're overly shaped, so unless you have the same size hand as the person who designed it and hold it the same way you're going to have a weird ridge poking you.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Nope, it's a Logitch G400 which if I remember correctly was advertised as a right-handed or ambidexterous mouse...which of course means it's right-handed, but it's only got 2 buttons on the side and the way I hold it I can hit them with the side of my ring finger. I don't tend to look for left-handed mice because I've always found they're overly shaped, so unless you have the same size hand as the person who designed it and hold it the same way you're going to have a weird ridge poking you.

Oh, Ok...I got a Logitech G203 that has two side buttons over the summer and I found that I kept hitting them when I didn't want to.  l moved it to an old computer that I keep for burning CDs and just use a regular belkin wired mouse for GW2.