Celestial Challenges 2022

Ashantara.8731

I don't know why you felt compelled to do it, ArenaNet, but you really screwed this one up...

Ram's Challenge:
You reduced the damage and range for the Special Action skill (when one can barely do any damage to the barrels with normal skills). This is making it extremely slow and tedious.

Horse's Challenge:
The Special Action skill's dash forward was significantly reduced, making it very tedious to get through it now. It used to be a speedy and fun challenge, now it's not.

Rat's Challenge:
Sometimes tributes do not spawn, thus one cannot earn any points for it and therefore gets one less chest at the end.

The Celestial Challenge is no longer fun. You ruined the one thing (besides the race) that I truly enjoyed doing during the New Year's festival. 😔

Edited by Ashantara.8731
Changed title because OP has been answered. It was partially an issue of perception on my end.
  • Like 5
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

I'm disappointed that they didn't write a Goldclaw book. It's there to advance the achievement, but it's just a note saying that they have no idea what to write.

Lunar New Year is underwhelming compared to all other festivals. Maybe it's because the staff don't have enough Asians to give advice, but since they skipped writing a one-page book, I feel like it's more that they think it's the least important festival. This is a bad look when considering that Cantha is on its way and they're trying to attract more Asian players.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Runes of speed and some swiftness will help with Horse, though technically with any of them as it cuts transit times.

I don't have an issue regarding equipment and skills that help (I won twice today), I merely stated that the Special Action's range seems to have been significantly reduced.

Am I imagining things?

4 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

For Ram don't scatter to the four winds and instead run together with at least one other person, though I didn't find the barrels to hard to DPS on my warrior.

Perhaps it's an issue of perception, but I somehow remember them breaking easier/faster the past couple of years. Hmmm.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 4

6 hours ago, Embered.5089 said:

I'm disappointed that they didn't write a Goldclaw book. It's there to advance the achievement, but it's just a note saying that they have no idea what to write.

Lunar New Year is underwhelming compared to all other festivals. Maybe it's because the staff don't have enough Asians to give advice, but since they skipped writing a one-page book, I feel like it's more that they think it's the least important festival. This is a bad look when considering that Cantha is on its way and they're trying to attract more Asian players.

Yeah like I get the "author integrity" logic but it still feels like a cop out since these are always just snippets of made up stories based on some lore. A Canthan book could have easily been made so it feels more like a missed opportunity more than the foreshadow of more books when we get to Cantha (which is true per the Extra Life novel creation segment).

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 9:52 AM, Ashantara.8731 said:

I don't know why you felt compelled to do it, ArenaNet, but you really screwed this one up...

Ram's Challenge:
You reduced the damage and range for the Special Action skill (when one can barely do any damage to the barrels with normal skills). This is making it extremely slow and tedious.

Horse's Challenge:
The Special Action skill's dash forward was significantly reduced, making it very tedious to get through it now. It used to be a speedy and fun challenge, now it's not.

Rat's Challenge:
Sometimes tributes do not spawn, thus one cannot earn any points for it and therefore gets one less chest at the end.

The Celestial Challenge is no longer fun. You ruined the one thing (besides the race) that I truly enjoyed doing during the New Year's festival. 😔

The Horse skill is super wonky and bugs out either halfway through the channel or when you try to navigate as well. I understand the gust obstacles but I think if the horse skill should let you bulldoze through those (like stability). The other part of the strategy is then avoiding them during the downtime.

42 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I don't have an issue regarding equipment and skills that help (I won twice today), I merely stated that the Special Action's range seems to have been significantly reduced.

Am I imagining things?

Perhaps it's an issue of perception, but I somehow remember them breaking easier/faster the past couple of years. Hmmm.

Well in Ram I have no problem destroying them if used point blank range. I even destroy clusters of them pretty easy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Well in Ram I have no problem destroying them if used point blank range. I even destroy clusters of them pretty easy.

Me too, but the range of the skill seems to have been reduced is what I am saying. And normal skills seem to do less damage is the other thing I have noticed, unless I remember incorrectly from previous festivals.

• Confused 3

11 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Am I imagining things?

In both cases it seems to me exactly as it was the year ago. Maybe you're running a different character/build now than you did before (i am running the exact same one).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

In both cases it seems to me exactly as it was the year ago. Maybe you're running a different character/build now than you did before (i am running the exact same one).

I am running the exact same, too. Perhaps I am just perceiving it differently this year then. Strange.

• Confused 3

We faced a really annoying bug recently, where Champion Celestial Noble Star (Tiger's Challenge) kept rushing into the throne room = out of reach. 

Ram's Challenge, but also Monkey's Challenge are quite broken. The 'smart' players hit as many targets as possible with their weak aoe attacks and gain credit if the others defeat them. Using the powerful skills only at stacked targets (ram) or hard to reach ones (monkey). 

Rooster's Challenge is as buggy as ever. The rings randomly turn red for a few seconds even if you happen to be in dead center of them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

We faced a really annoying bug recently, where Champion Celestial Noble Star (Tiger's Challenge) kept rushing into the throne room = out of reach. 

Ram's Challenge, but also Monkey's Challenge are quite broken. The 'smart' players hit as many targets as possible with their weak aoe attacks and gain credit if the others defeat them. Using the powerful skills only at stacked targets (ram) or hard to reach ones (monkey). 

Rooster's Challenge is as buggy as ever. The rings randomly turn red for a few seconds even if you happen to be in dead center of them.

Indeed - especially that last one is really annoying. All those aren't new however - they were present in this challenge since it was introduced.

• Like 1

I am one shotting the objective with Ram's special attack this year. But I changed around my build and maybe have more crit and additional +% strike damage this year.

Horse's skill need to be held down to maximize distance. (Like the dash in crab toss. On the other hand rat's special skill is tap to start and stop).

Edited by PseudoNewb.5468
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I am quite annoyed by the fact that they literally stated that many festival related bugs have been fixed while neither of the bugs in challenge were. In races, if the first two places are tight, the bonus is still awarded to second place. The chicken caps are still bugging out and stop working even if you run inside them. Why is that thing even competetive, you literally work as a team to get one person extra rewards ...

Dunno man, maybe I just can't with this game anymore.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, PseudoNewb.5468 said:

Horse's skill need to be held down to maximize distance. (Like the dash in crab toss. On the other hand rat's special skill is tap to start and stop).

Ahhh, so this it is then regarding this particular issue I seem to be having this year: I forgot it needed to be held down - oops! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

With respect to Rooster's Challenge, in my experience it stays consistently blue if you stay within the circle and behind the chicken. I generally aim for about midway between the chicken and the back of the circle. Think of it as having to chase the chicken rather than running ahead of it.

Annoying that the circle shown isn't the 'true' circle, but if you stay in the rear quadrant it'll usually stay blue, and in my experience it fairly consistently turns red if you're in the front quadrant (and there isn't another player in the rear quadrant).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

At least now the majority of the challenges is completed in time (for bonus favor) - which wasn't the case last year. I if I remember correctly.

Still only playing this once or twice per day - to make progress for the permanent achievement (repeatable for the AP) - then (in a few years when I have all the AP lol) I might ignore this or doing it only once per day for the daily.

Not really fun and the rewards are not that good.

Only thing I find annoying (actually discouraging): The extra reward (1 more stack) for the player with highest participation. If always another player is getting this ... you might as well just only barely participate - then slacking off. To get the 1 stack. And let the others to the work. Would have been better to give 1 additional stack for everyone if completing in time. (To encourage everyone to work together to complete it in time.)

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 6

Well, I guess the extra stack is kinda the point of the challenge, it make you to try to do your best in each challenge and not the bare minimum. 

But I can understand the frustration, that's probably the only event in  the game which is clearly competitive (in PvE, I mean), so it's kinda unusual for this game. 

I'm not a fan of competitive stuff in PvE in general, but since this one is very limited and the reward isn't stellar, I'm kind of ok with it, actually, it make it stand out a bit

6 minutes ago, Etherian.3697 said:

I'm not sure why this cooperative mini game in the event has such a competitive slant to it.  When you're basically helping someone else get an extra chest to open, it deflates the work-together aspect.

It was to help encourage people to participate for extra reward or incentive.  As we know, some people do the bare minimum and essentially just stand around and wait while others do the work.  I do agree though, as a cooperative event it seems odd and takes away from the group togetherness.

• Like 2

I think they can do better to improve it. Like, Whenever good fortune triggers everyone got two scores. The top contributor can still stay, but instead of giving extra scores, it gives Little Lucky Envelopes instead. And make it 6 events each rounds. Giving people a chance to open all the available chests.

Another thing that I found strange, you'll get more scores if there are people leeching and not getting lots of good fortunes. So I find for once leeching is actually benefecial. At least in this event, lol.

Edit: Oh! I see Luthan already put the things I want to say before I did. Lol! Never knew they were already putting 2 scores when you get good fortunes in the past. Please revert it back Anet!

Edited by Keilan.2871
Added some stuffs
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't think it gave 2 for everyone in the past - when you completed the stuff in time. The 2 only got added for the highest participation. To encourage people to play more than just the bare minimum.

My point is: If you - no matter that you do - always "lose" to someone else (who is better) ... you might as well just only do the bare minimum. Maybe even - out of anger - you are more encouraged to do it that way.

Personally I just play my main PvE build from outside (not changing builds for this and I do not want to buy more build templates - which would make it more convenient to change builds) ... and then there are thiefs with special builds that seem to created to maximize efficiency (often good mobility helps most) - in the challenge. Might as well just to the bare minimum - letthing the thief get the extra stack lol.

(Still ... it is boring. I usually tried to play fully - the last few days.)

Edited by Luthan.5236

You're all looking at it the wrong way if you don't get highest contribution. Just because that one person managed to get an extra stack does not mean you did not benefit from your own hard work as you still helped get the final chest to spawn faster with your efforts that pushed the person who got the stack to complete the event faster.

I mean I'd rather get to that main chest faster even if it means I get a few less greens, essences of luck, and token shards than someone else.

Edited by DaFishBob.6518
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2