Time to remove Steal boon priority

Math.5123

4 hours ago, Math.5123 said:

The unblockable was a buff, not a nerf. 

Yes, but just because something is added doesn't necessarily make it a regularly applicable buff. Adding unblockable to steal is different than adding it to swipe is different than adding it to death's judgement, or a warrior burst, etcetc. There wasn't really ever a lack in this area in the first place, as steal/swipe was most often used to engage and interrupt important skills - most often, the heal.

A buff - yes. It was a bonus the skill didn't have before. But the situations it actually impacts is relatively low compared to how the extra range was useful, and how **often** it was useful. Swipe traded the consistently useful range for the more rarely applicable unblockable. The skill just isn't often used in a way that'd make the unblockable buff all that worth it. There is that guardian heal that's also a block, I guess, so there is that.

On 1/27/2022 at 12:56 AM, Math.5123 said:

Ever since they made Swipe Unblockable, it has absolutely no counterplay. 

It will always strip Stab > Protection no matter how many boons you cover it with. I would like it if it functions like almost every other strip that they strip / steal the last applied boons. 

Thief is uninteractive as is, and since you refuse to patch the game. At least do this. 

Not having counterplay is not a bad thing. It's just an element you have to take into consideration during the fight. The enemy elementalist will use Obsidian Flesh at one point, there is nothing you can do to stop it. The enemy ranger will burst-prep with Sic'Em, the enemy thief will interrupt with Swipe.
It's the thing that that class does. Taking it away would need an actual justification beyond "it annoys me".

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, FarmBotXD.1430 said:

then we also need to give every class a pet, a shroud, and a clone to unify everything

How an underlying gameplay system functions doesn’t equate to how class specific mechanics function/should function. It’s a bit of a stretch to equate the two imo.

It’s just my opinion that everyone should have random boon removal rather than an isolated case of priority. Again, just my opinion, you are free to hold a different opinion 🙂

3 minutes ago, oscuro.9720 said:

How an underlying gameplay system functions doesn’t equate to how class specific mechanics function/should function. It’s a bit of a stretch to equate the two imo.

It’s just my opinion that everyone should have random boon removal rather than an isolated case of priority. Again, just my opinion, you are free to hold a different opinion 🙂

following this logic we should remove 100% crit rate on ranger passive.
if everyone rolls the dice ranger should too 🙂

10 minutes ago, FarmBotXD.1430 said:

following this logic we should remove 100% crit rate on ranger passive.
if everyone rolls the dice ranger should too 🙂

I’d still consider that a class-derived mechanic. Let me illustrate;

Ranger is getting one hit at 100% crit chance from a trait tied to the ranger profession. 

Thief getting boon strip is from a trait as well, but typefied the same as other class’ boon strip (the trait just attaches a boon strip to another skill, but doesn’t govern boon strip in its functions). If the thief were to have, say, a passive trait that established boon strips as having a priority, then I wouldn’t find this an issue personally. However, to my knowledge, this doesn’t exist. Thus, you have a singular outlier case that doesn’t follow the core mechanics of the game for seemingly no reason. 

Another example; might gives a set amount of power. This applies to every class. Some classes have a trait that allows them to derive more power from might. This would still be constrained from a class function. However, it would make no sense if, without a designating trait, warrior randomly got 10 extra power per stack of might. 

Like I said previously, I don’t think it’s really much of an issue, but I think it would be better if everyone abided by the same set of core mechanics. But at the end of the day, it’s just my opinion 🙂 

Edited by oscuro.9720

3 hours ago, oscuro.9720 said:

I’d still consider that a class-derived mechanic. Let me illustrate;

Ranger is getting one hit at 100% crit chance from a trait tied to the ranger profession. 

Thief getting boon strip is from a trait as well, but typefied the same as other class’ boon strip (the trait just attaches a boon strip to another skill, but doesn’t govern boon strip in its functions). If the thief were to have, say, a passive trait that established boon strips as having a priority, then I wouldn’t find this an issue personally. However, to my knowledge, this doesn’t exist. Thus, you have a singular outlier case that doesn’t follow the core mechanics of the game for seemingly no reason. 

Another example; might gives a set amount of power. This applies to every class. Some classes have a trait that allows them to derive more power from might. This would still be constrained from a class function. However, it would make no sense if, without a designating trait, warrior randomly got 10 extra power per stack of might. 

Like I said previously, I don’t think it’s really much of an issue, but I think it would be better if everyone abided by the same set of core mechanics. But at the end of the day, it’s just my opinion 🙂 

Wouldn't this then just be a lack of description in the trait that grants the boonrip. It's happened before. Stuff doesn't just 'do' things, either. Pistol Whip still has no text about giving an evade but by all accounts so far it's an intended mechanic, etc.

It sounds like it's just the trait that gives Steal boonrip that does this? I don't **think** applying those boonrip sigils to thief weapons has the same property, or that boonrip trait in Shadow Arts...And tbh I'm too lazy to---okay, I wiki'd Rending Shade and it also has a list of boon priority.

1 hour ago, Curennos.9307 said:

Wouldn't this then just be a lack of description in the trait that grants the boonrip. It's happened before. Stuff doesn't just 'do' things, either. Pistol Whip still has no text about giving an evade but by all accounts so far it's an intended mechanic, etc.

It sounds like it's just the trait that gives Steal boonrip that does this? I don't **think** applying those boonrip sigils to thief weapons has the same property, or that boonrip trait in Shadow Arts...And tbh I'm too lazy to---okay, I wiki'd Rending Shade and it also has a list of boon priority.

Yea, could be. Like I said, it’s just my opinion that what could be perceived as the rules of the game should be elaborated on, and additional benefits for one class over another should, in the current implementation of traits, be clearly defined as a choice relative to the other choices available to the class so that it is clearly defined instead of a random alterations of the rule in one instance (for example; as a minor trait).

So if it was just a lack of description in the tool tip, than changing it to be more descriptive would be sufficient imo.
Again, just my opinions. People are free to disagree, I just think it’s weird to have an individual class randomly follow a different role set. 🙂 

6 hours ago, Dantheman.3589 said:

uhh it was not a buff really, the game is just so homogenous rn that nothing that was skillful yesterday is good now...

This change will introduce skillful gameplay though, if a guard wants to cast shelter, or cover a Signet res. They would need to not only cast stab but also another skill to cover that stab if they know a thief is close with swipe off cooldown. 

Fun fact, shelter is the only heal worth running on core guard outside support. Swipe can interrupt it 100% of the time and putting it on full cooldown without ever letting the guardian heal under no circumstances. 

3 hours ago, Ashgar.3024 said:

Sure.

Whenever Anet comes around and look at boon application and uptime as a whole.

One thing slowing the game to a crawl right now is everyone having basically perma-protection.

Which class(es) exactly have "basically perma-protection"? 

Aside from maybe herald pulsing it out in an aoe with draconic echo, i really don't see an issue with prot application. And even with herald, the prot aint the issue.

you must also realize that a few classes need prot to survive as they have very limited access to evades etc.