Help me choose the best solo profession.

grx.8714

Hey guys, I played the game for so long on my cousin account while he wasn't playing himself, right now I had the chance to finally get my own account.

I have created all professions mainly because of pvp, so I can easily switch if needed since I can play all of them to a decent level.

This being said, right now I really want a main for pve, to do open world, story, map completion in core tyria, hot and pof maps. And I know there are pretty tough hero challenges there.

I want a profession who is able to complete most of them in solo unless of course they are super hardcore group challenges impossible for solo players.

Doing some researches I saw currently condi renegade is the top tier solo class and it's also very useful in fractals, raids which i am planning to do in future as well. Second is scourge, then mirage and then the rest...

Right now I just have the core rev level 80, but as I am progressing I will unlock rene.

So would you guys recommend it to be my main pve boy? Not to mention yeah, i really like the profession as well.

The easiest open world soloers would be Necromancer and revenant  these don't really require second sets of gear and have naturally great access at very strong solo builds. 

Alot of proffessions do have strong open world builds tho. 

As a example I been on thief lately and been stomping HoT HPs with a life leech Pistol pistol daredevil build. 

I did the same with celestial weaver, however these builds are harder to pull off require you to carry a specific open world build, while the 2 top are very easy choices and generally can pull it off in their normal DPS set ups. 

Edited by Daddy.8125
  • Like 2

Try watching Lord Hizen's videos and choose your class, because all of them can do everything solo, but some classes are very well designed to play solo:

1. Necromancer, mainly Scourge.
Pros: The best survivability due to huge amount of barriers. Easy to play, no skill rotation. You can boost your passive healing by using runes of tormenting.
Cons: Slow, no access to boons.

2. Thief (Daredevil or Deadeye, depends on situation).
Pros: The best passive heal in game. If you boost your health a little, you can facetank champs without fear of being killed in one hit (because in HoT you can get hit by much more than 11k in one attack). Stealth to avoid combat, mobility. Deadeye has access to 25 might, fury, swiftness, protection, vigor and regeneration. Daredevil has 3 dodges and good AoE weapon.
Cons: Better watch what you're targeting when using Deadeye's Mark.

3. Revenant (Renegade).
Pros: Good DPS and passive heal (Battle Scars). Rev has great access to CCs, Stability, alacrity, 25 might, fury, projectile barrier, mobility.
Cons: NO VALID PATH TO TARGET.

4. Mesmer (Mirage).
Pros: What will happen when you put superior runes of tormenting in your armor? I'll tell you: INFINITE POWER. Dodge to avoid damage, deal massive damage AND HEAL! Everything at the same time. Just DODGE TO WIN.
Cons: it's slow.

Edited by Antycypator.9874
typo
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

Honestly, more than a professions, if you want to solo thing, you just need the right build.

For example, a Might make right spellbreaker can have disgusting amount of survivability in PvE. It is at a similar level to what is already suggested for renegade, mirage and scourge.

I'd suggest you to go with the profession you like the most and, from there, find a build that work for what you want to do (which doesn't necessarily mean a "meta" build).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Honestly, more than a professions, if you want to solo thing, you just need the right build.

For example, a Might make right spellbreaker can have disgusting amount of survivability in PvE. It is at a similar level to what is already suggested for renegade, mirage and scourge.

I'd suggest you to go with the profession you like the most and, from there, find a build that work for what you want to do (which doesn't necessarily mean a "meta" build).

Pretty much this 

Don't get hooked by misinformation there's alot of it everywhere. Every proffession has access to very strong solo builds. It's simply a difficulty scale not so much a power scale. 

Espically when looking at open world realistically.  

Renegade by a landslide, nothing comes even remotely close in terms of any of Damage, Sustain+Tankyness, CC and Utility if build right. It's not even comparable to anything with how far ahead it is in every single metric over even the second best solo spec (which I'd say is probably Scourge). 

That said, as others mentioned already, every profession can very comfortably clear all of OW and Story without having to try on the right build. Beyond that it's just how easy you really want to have it, up to utterly trivial - so I'd say just pick what you enjoy playing/thematically, and then look for or work on a proper build for that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Revenant, Necro or Ranger. They have really high levels of damage (both mele and ranged) while remaining tanking and having tons of sustain. They are also fairly easy to play; other classes as Eles and Engineers can achive great results but they need a high KPM to deliver the damage, which can be stressful/demanding.

• Like 1

Best for solo you ask? Well Warrior is glad you did! Because warrior believes there is only one choice; warrior. 

Why Warrior? Foolish other classes worry about things like “group cohesion” and “meta builds”. Warrior is not concerned with having allies, as it has nothing to give or gain from them. In fact, allies would only get int he way and steal warrior’s kills, and warrior doesn’t want that. No.

Warrior is greedy and selfish. Perfect for a solo player. Watch as hordes of enemies tuck tail and run when they see Warrior upon a hill, blood soaked and screaming “Freedom”, a signifier of the freedom from life he shall bring to his enemies. 

Yet it matters not. Warrior looks through Warrior’s visor to see the backs of the thousands who gathered to slay Warrior, as they run feebly to their homelands, hoping to live out their final days in peace and away from warrior. But it matters not. From years of reliance on foolish magics and machines, their bodies have gotten soft, their speed slow. But not warrior. No. Warrior has been given no relief and seeks none.

Warrior squats down, the tree trunk legs flexed so hard veins can been seen through warriors pants, and leaps high into the air. Warrior descends upon his enemies like a bloody eagle, swooping in to grab fish from a lake.

One by one, the thousands who once stood on the large field of grass, seeking to end the menace of warrior fall. The grass is trampled by the fearful retreat, and eventually soaked red in the blood of the cowards. After several hours, all that remains is a field of bloody, dismembered bodies and warrior, alone and dejected that the fight had ended so quickly. 

You are considering what profession to play? This is the wrong question. Rather, ask yourself; are you a coward, or are you a Warrior.

Edited by oscuro.9720
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, oscuro.9720 said:

Why Warrior? Foolish other classes worry about things like “group cohesion” and “meta builds”. Warrior is not concerned with having allies, as it has nothing to give or gain from them. In fact, allies would only get int he way and steal warrior’s kills, and warrior doesn’t want that. No.

😂😂😂 This warrior Roleplay is what peak performance looks like.

On a serious Note Spellbreaker does have a Rly good Solo build.

the Might Make Right build does really well.

• Like 2

I was in the same boat as you. I usually just do pvp and WvW but wanted to pick a “main” class. I settled on ranger just because I like the way soulbeast plays. Spellbreaker is also fun. I did make a cele rev short bow and oh boy stuff just instantly melts and I have crazy sustain. Unfortunately it became boring quick so back to soulbeast I went. I was lucky and had enough tomes of knowledge and 80 boosts to have one of each class at 80. Just play what’s fun for you man. 

On 1/31/2022 at 9:12 AM, grx.8714 said:

I saw currently condi renegade is the top tier solo class

Maybe on some kind of tests, but in real GW2-life (I mean OW PVE) it dies the same often than any other prof )

Comfort playstyle + Right build + Diligent practice + not any Power Melee Spec

More safe option (resistant to high pressure fight): Herald, Mirage, Scourge.

More damage (the lowest priority option): in test out of combat I think Elementalist, Firebrand, Renegade.

Edited by taara.3217

Really thanks to everyone for the feedback, I will probably stick to Revenant, so far I have only the core unlocked with the exo cele gear from boost, and I am doing pretty good using this build https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Revenant_-_LI_Torment.

Not to mention I am also using power herald in pvp as well, so can be a good profession to main for every aspect of the game, and in future for wvw roaming as well.

I am tired of multiclassing and not to focus on only one profession.

Thanks again to all the ones who answered. Much appreciated. 🥰

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 6:09 PM, Asum.4960 said:

Renegade by a landslide, nothing comes even remotely close in terms of any of Damage, Sustain+Tankyness, CC and Utility if build right. It's not even comparable to anything with how far ahead it is in every single metric over even the second best solo spec (which I'd say is probably Scourge). 

Renegade is one of the strong solo spec, nothing more ) Moreover, not the best option in high pressure combat (solo). Moreover, DPS is the lowest priority feature in such kind of content.

Edited by taara.3217

4 hours ago, taara.3217 said:

Renegade is one of the strong solo spec, nothing more ) Moreover, not the best option in high pressure combat (solo). Moreover, DPS is the lowest priority feature in such kind of content.

How is it not the best option in high pressure situations? Synergises well with Celestial, meaning extra health and toughness, heavy Armor, perma Protection and Vigor, unique -50% incoming condition damage modifier plus by far the highest sustain in the game with Battle Scars (+ possibly Tormenting Runes), able to reach 3k self heal per second fairly easily - making it essentially immortal combined with the aforementioned tankyness. 

Also DPS is far from the lowest priority in solo endeavours, since higher damage means less time for mistakes and taking damage - and Renegade is by far and wide also the highest damage solo build (esp. if you also want any form of sustain on other specs). 

Cele Ren literally performs at >180% of the runner ups for best solo builds, hardly "just one of the strong specs". It's a class/level on it's own.

• Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Asum.4960 said:

How is it not the best option in high pressure situations? Synergises well with Celestial, meaning extra health and toughness, heavy Armor, perma Protection and Vigor, unique -50% incoming condition damage modifier plus by far the highest sustain in the game with Battle Scars (+ possibly Tormenting Runes), able to reach 3k self heal per second fairly easily - making it essentially immortal combined with the aforementioned tankyness. 

Also DPS is far from the lowest priority in solo endeavours, since higher damage means less time for mistakes and taking damage - and Renegade is by far and wide also the highest damage solo build (esp. if you also want any form of sustain on other specs). 

Cele Ren literally performs at >180% of the runner ups for best solo builds, hardly "just one of the strong specs". It's a class/level on it's own.

I'm having trouble finding good video/discussion of numbers from celestial renegade.  Could you ballpark the DPS one should expect to see from this build on a boss solo?

3 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

ANet: Fair and balanced.

Well i think necro and guardians can't complain either... they are perma-meta in every pve, pvp and even wvw, for every single scenario.

Rev is good in pve solo and groups, high skill required for pvp, and in wvw it's good for roaming only, in zergs there are better options.

But yeah it's a pretty solid profession.

Well i think necro and guardians can't complain either... they are perma-meta in every pve, pvp and even wvw, for every single scenario.

That doesn't mean that they can't complain if they have a reason to. People don't play classes, they play builds. A class having some aspects that make builds focused around these aspects "meta" doesn't mean that there aren't other things to the class in question A-Net dropped the ball on and if there are some then this would be ground for valid criticism.

6 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

I'm having trouble finding good video/discussion of numbers from celestial renegade.  Could you ballpark the DPS one should expect to see from this build on a boss solo?

In Fractals with potions and all you can push 30k DPS solo/selfbuffed. Otherwise and in general I'd say 18-25k DPS is a good range to aim for (with All for One for Prot, Ashen Demeanor for more Vuln and Battle Scar sustain, Tormenting Runes for even more sustain, etc.).

3 hours ago, Asum.4960 said:

In Fractals with potions and all you can push 30k DPS solo/selfbuffed. Otherwise and in general I'd say 18-25k DPS is a good range to aim for (with All for One for Prot, Ashen Demeanor for more Vuln and Battle Scar sustain, Tormenting Runes for even more sustain, etc.).

Really?  25k DPS on celestial in solo open world play?  Can someone get me a clip of this? I can't find anything.

3 hours ago, Tails.9372 said:

That doesn't mean that they can't complain if they have a reason to. People don't play classes, they play builds. A class having some aspects that make builds focused around these aspects "meta" doesn't mean that there aren't other things to the class in question A-Net dropped the ball on and if there are some then this would be ground for valid criticism.

Yeah, it's pretty frustrating that they can't seem to push other classes into the meta because nobody can get around guardian's stupidly overstacked kit and yet year after year they do nothing.  I wish ANet were better than this, but they've proven incapable.

• Like 1