Hidden unspoken rules for WvW ?

GoldenPants.1870

Going to chime in. We're each other's content in this game mode. We all love a good fight. We all go into this mode expecting to die at some point. It's cool, just hit the way point. The death doesn't matter, you had content.

It's one thing to break away to get out of LoS to cover resustain, its another to keep getting OOC to refresh and then jump the person over and over. If you're going to break away then stay away.

Most people don't mind fighting the same person multiple times, but they want the fights to at least finish. Not letting the fights finish is pretty much blue balling the other person.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

Plenty of rules.

For zergs.

1. Don't use minipet, they don't stealth.
  2. Don't run on mount or unstealth or with golem, with stealth group, big duh.
  3. Don't close walls in middle of battle if your team is still on the wrong side of the wall.
  4. Don't use siege you don't have mastery for if others are around.
  5. Don't repair walls or gates being actively attacked, unless stalling for time from an immediate attack, if your team is responding.
  6. Priority defense siege use, on enemy siege first, players if no siege exist. You shooting one guy with the cannon over the zerg with catas or rams up makes you the biggest dummy on the server.
  7. Stop using walmart siege, there's a number of ways to get superior siege cheap or free.
  8. Build siege left to right, although a lot of commanders tend to drop siege right to left, so I tend to build first down first supplied. Also build as soon as siege goes down, why are you getting supply if you're not going to use it?

You forgot #9... If you have no supply, and take an objective, grab supply. 

Hell, who am I kidding, there are a whole bunch of rules around supply, however it is "off topic" for this post 🤐.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 12:39 PM, Sahne.6950 said:

same rule still applys! if you decide to run away then stay away. even if he attacked you first. if you need to OOC you should not reengage over and over. its fine if you do it once, its okey if you do it twice, but abusing how easy it is to go OOC in WvW and then reengaging in the same fight only for you to run away again.......  idk. man up and fight it out. if you loose you loose. if you want to run then run. But dont Engagge -> you loose the fight -> run away-> go in again->loose the fight->run away-> reengage->loose the fight-> run away......  you essentialy are just admitting that he is better everytime you run away. because you are so scared that you dont even fight it out to the end.   (very harshly speaking... just so you understand the point)

You could also easily argue the other guy should get good and stop him from escaping, especially since the OP has given him ample opportunity to change up his build in between fights. I mean, sure, I get that mobility and randomly re-engaging all the time is annoying, but getting salty and refusing to learn from the experience is on him. 

Incidentally it's hilarious that half the people in the thread assumed he was playing thief when the described behaviour is a player mentality and most classes have the tools to play like this if they really want to. Except necro, but if you're purposefully solo roaming on necro you're arguably doing it wrong to begin with. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

If you're getting hostile whispers from an enemy player you're doing it right.

The only thing I avoid is distrupting duelers that are clearly dueling. But when I'm dueling I don't expect everyone to honor this. Red = dead is completely fine by me and how I play most of the time. Much better than some players that have some strange honor codes that everyone is suppose to know.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2022 at 10:07 PM, Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

You could also easily argue the other guy should get good and stop him from escaping, especially since the OP has given him ample opportunity to change up his build in between fights. I mean, sure, I get that mobility and randomly re-engaging all the time is annoying, but getting salty and refusing to learn from the experience is on him. 

Incidentally it's hilarious that half the people in the thread assumed he was playing thief when the described behaviour is a player mentality and most classes have the tools to play like this if they really want to. Except necro, but if you're purposefully solo roaming on necro you're arguably doing it wrong to begin with. 

your right! 

But that is not what op wanted to know.

OP asked himself why they are mad, and we answered that. People could have acted diffrently thats true. but OP was wondering what is going on...    he was playig like a little kitten thats what is going on 😄

When someone decides to ooc because he would loose that fight he shouldnt come back multiple times and try again. I stand by my words. Yeah the follower could have     rEsPeCCeD AnD cHasEd him duuuuhhhh.  But the point is, that op flees fights and reenters them on purpose to not die.... Coward gaming comfirmed. Going ooc is fine but dont abuse it multiple times.

You need to run?  Stay away.     No shame in running ; No shame in dying       but there is shame in abusing the ooc mechanic OVER AND OVER AGAIN.  Doing it once might be fine, twice.... hmm ok..... a third time... come on.... but after that he should not wonder why other people get mad 😄

If you're getting hostile whispers from an enemy player you're doing it right.

Couldnt agree more:D nothing beats 2 salty nerds in your /w box because you 2v1ed them with ease ❤️ And sometimes trolling or something to make people mad is the best fun you can have in wvw 😄

but you should be aware of what your doing and dont make a forum thread about : Some hidden rules!?!?!

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Confused 3

13 minutes ago, GoldenPants.1870 said:

He was a soulbeast, he had every opportunity to get insane mobility in his build.

thats not the point here. Thats same as saying

You had every opportunity to win this fight. Yet you decided to run away.

Same as he decided to not change his build because there is one guy to afraid to fight him. I wouldnt bother with that aswell. I wouldnt change my complete playstyle/build because there is one guy that wants to run instead of fight.

I dont blame him being mad  😄 Abusig OOC multiple times and still not being able to kill him... Shame on you 😛

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

Much better than some players that have some strange honor codes that everyone is suppose to know.

It's just common sense for me really that applies in most situations like it does in this sandbox. I usually don't do stuff to people that would annoy me if it was the other way around. This kind of gamemode is what people make it afterall.

Edited by schloumou.3982

Well, some of them  have already been said, and some of them are not really "unspoken", but i´m too lazy to filter that out and will mention what comes into my mind^^

Starting with "common" zerging rules: 
1. NEVER drop siege. The commander calculates with the supply available in the squad, and dropping additional siege can mess up that calculation. which brings me to point 2
2. NEVER build up siege the commander did not place. for the reason stated in 1, but also because trolls sometimes throw useless stuff (like rams on walls), or non-superior blueprints which are just a waste of supply. If you really want to help your commander with siege, then send it to them. even "normal" blueprints help, since you can build guild-blueprints out of it, which are as strong as superior, but cost less supply.
3. join the voice-chat the commander uses (if available). You WILL perform better. Always. And even if you are "shy": you don´t have to talk there. It sometimes is even better to not make calls, since you usually do have expierienced players that know WHAT to call, WHEN to call. 
4. NO MINIATURES! ever! they don´t get stealthed and a single mini reveals the zerg´s position when stealthed, making the whole stealth-action meaningless. Same rule applies to mounting up while stealthing. 
5. play a useful build. there´s a reason why sites like gw2mists, your server´s guilds etc provide builds, and that reason is the competetive nature of WvW. 

Now some other stuff: 
1. don´t interrupt duels between players, and especially dont interfere with scrims (arranged fights) between guilds. Those usually take place close to the south camp, and are easy to avoid. There´s no problem in spectating that (you often can even learn from them), but take distance from them. 
2. keep the teamchat free from trashtalk. it can lose you an objective, because the "call for help" may get lost in the trashtalk, and an active commander can miss the call, where he/she may have rushed to defend. 
3. make USEFUL calls in mapchat. There´s no point in calling stuff like "hills inc". It lacks critical information, which would be at least: "who", "where", "how many", "objective status". The "perfect" call would be something like this: "red on hills, 25+, double cata spot, 4 catas, outer wall 60% dropping fast. 
4. Don´t pull EWP (emergency waypoint) just out of nowhere. The better way would be, to make the call (as mentioned above) and ask if EWP is necessary. Also, annouce the pull of the EWP BEFORE you pull it (ideally with a "countdown"). If you then pull the EWP: Ping it at least in map-chat, so the defenders/squad can port faster. Additionally: If the inner wall is already destroyed, it´s usually too late. The enemy can (and WILL) bomb the EWP. 
5. Under the condition, that your guild has at least the +5-supply buff researched: claim an unclaimed objective. Not only you get +5 supplies out of it at least, but objectives only upgrade when claimed. You may want to consider not claiming keeps or towers, since the bonuses are more valuable there compared to camps (referring to a fully upgraded guild). If your guild however has all the available claim buffs, you should also claim keeps and towers (however, NEVER unclaim them in this case then). 
6. Don´t follow closed guild squads. You can easily identify them (it´s a group of people, that all, or almost all, have the same guild tag, with a closed squad you cannot join). Guilds want to stay "for themselves", usually for coordination reasons, as well as their specific setup they play, and the problem that "random" actions can ruin a strategy (even if unintentional). For this case, there´s always the option to ask them if you can join them, sometimes they will tell you where they meet up in voice and let you join if you ask politely, and sometimes they will deny that request. please just respect their decision. 

Edited by Custodio.6134
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/31/2022 at 3:28 PM, Xenesis.6389 said:

Don't repair walls or gates being actively attacked, unless stalling for time from an immediate attack, if your team is responding.

To add on, if an enemy zerg breached into a tower do not repair the walls or gate until cleared. Since Alpine and EBG towers have only one entrance they can make it a death trap

Edited by cyberzombie.7348
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, GoldenPants.1870 said:

Hey, if he wants to abuse a celestial boonbeast, I’m only giving him a fair treatment.

YEAH OKEY!!! you can do that for sure! but why kitten do you come to the forums and whine about it then? you were seeking for answers and now you are just like :   WELL fk u guyyysss im doing what i want xD

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Confused 1