How functional is DH in pvp without trapper rune?

Axl.8924

My experience, which is very limited as I do not pvp much nowadays, it is mediocre. You have the survivability, but the damage is pretty bad. LB without skill 3 does not work and skill 2 has 8 sec CD for a marginal hit. ToF has no initial damage. If you played DH pre Feb 2020 patch, these are most of the damage sources. If you drop LB, might as well play core.

Arken has seen success of DH without trapper runes, i doubt it'll be as strong as other choices tho... although i'd argue its likely even with trapper runes not stronger then other choices, DH Is just funny when people run into ur traps or u line up a Rly good Shot on Longbow 4 (I think iirc)

but yeah.... Support guardians Kinda its meta choice. DH is a Memey kind of build all together, generally i think its popularity is surrounding alot less players wanna play support then do DPS Realistically and if ur a guardian main its kidna ur only choice as of current atleast.

I assume you mean trapper, not scrapper runes.   I'm not aware of any build with scrapper runes for DH specifically.  Trapper rune is quite annoying tbh.  The steath is hard to deal with. But in exchange you dont get any power/precision from runes. The build lack swiftness, and relying on super speed to move around map isnt wise.  The DH would also be quite flimpsy due to lack of vita.  I wouldn't say it's OP due to that trade off.  Usually people who aint accustomed to dealing with traps would complain about it.  Traps are useless if opposing teams have pets/minions and the ring can be dodged out.  I do without trapper runes, using speed rune instead. Quite good when  you stack modifiers (tether mod,  cripple mod, distance mod, aegis mod (virtue line), resolution mod for crit). 

• Axl.8924 changed the title to How functional is DH in pvp without trapper rune?
On 2/2/2022 at 8:28 PM, quaniesan.8497 said:

I assume you mean trapper, not scrapper runes.   I'm not aware of any build with scrapper runes for DH specifically.  Trapper rune is quite annoying tbh.  The steath is hard to deal with. But in exchange you dont get any power/precision from runes. The build lack swiftness, and relying on super speed to move around map isnt wise.  The DH would also be quite flimpsy due to lack of vita.  I wouldn't say it's OP due to that trade off.  Usually people who aint accustomed to dealing with traps would complain about it.  Traps are useless if opposing teams have pets/minions and the ring can be dodged out.  I do without trapper runes, using speed rune instead. Quite good when  you stack modifiers (tether mod,  cripple mod, distance mod, aegis mod (virtue line), resolution mod for crit). 

So then DH is fine without trapper rune then? i made error i also always seem to find folks complaining about DH with it its like a non stop buzzing about it.

And if so then some folks who are guardian mains going against nerfing trapper rune might be lying since speed runes work and if its really that good then i see something there interesting do you stream? it would be interesting to see you play in work.

Edited by Axl.8924

3 hours ago, Axl.8924 said:

So then DH is fine without trapper rune then? i made error i also always seem to find folks complaining about DH with it its like a non stop buzzing about it.

And if so then some folks who are guardian mains going against nerfing trapper rune might be lying since speed runes work and if its really that good then i see something there interesting do you stream? it would be interesting to see you play in work.

Speed rune works in wvw, but in pvp it's not good at all. without trapper runes the current build would become garbage and you'd be forced to play meditrapper, which is about as "fine" as GS mirage

Edited by Hogwarts Zebra.8597

6 hours ago, Axl.8924 said:

I'm actually running speed rune for both wvw and  pvp with a trap-less build that revolves around resolution boon.

Speedrune  patches up  DH's lack of vitality  and give you  super swiftness, equivalent to superspeed in combat. 

All berserkers gear or mix Valkyrie so long as I hit around 50% base crit chance.  Sigil 5% damage and 7% crit for general game play. 

I do radiance line, picking all 3 bottom traits - this line will  give you 10% extra crit when hitting burning enemy.   25% extra crits and 150 ferocity, 10% extra damage  when you have resolution on.   

Virtue line with unscathe contender  for 20% mod  when aegis is up.   Virtue of Resolution gives extra resolution boon duration and more sources.  Absolute resolve and Indomitable justice  for sustain. 

DH line  i took Big game hunter for 15% mod when tethering target, Zealous aggression for 10% damage against crippled foe.  Dull senses for more sources of cripple. Note that Pure of sight give up  to 15% damage at max range 1200. 

Utility:  free slot, save yourself, Advance, Feel my wrath. 

Basically I start a fight with  feel my wrath, then  quickly tether a target (which activates big game hunter and also bonus against crippled foe)  and longbow 5 (also cripples foes). Before the big final pulse of LB 5, activate Save yourself,   then true shot the target.  Then switch to  sword/shield or focus and do sword 2 and 3 to bust down whatever left of his health.   

Feel my wrath and save yourself will give you a near 100% crit chance total in combination with base crit chance.  Then you get 10% damage mod for resolution boon, 20% mod of aegis being up (use advance shout to up aegis if you lost it before the spike), 15% from big game hunter , 10% against crippled, up to 15% from distance positioning.  That's alot of damage modifiers stacking. 

Basically you want to shuff  Lb5, trueshot, sword 2 and 3 within the 10 second God mode the save yourself shout give you. You can image how devastating a 100% crit chance True shot and longbow 5 can be  with all those modifiers.  at ideal situation I could crit an elem for 10-12k true shot.  Heavy armor classes probly take 6-9k depends on their toughness.   Use F2/F3,  shield/or focus for retreat/survival until your combo cool down is back on again.  you dont always rely on Save yourself for super spike because tethering a target gives resolution as well.  The best thing is F1 refreshes when you kill a target,  making you almost ready for the next kill.

It's a sniper build that focus ALOT  on positioning through super swiftness, and setting up your kill.   Use Advance smartly to spike damage or to retreat (super swiftness helps alot with survival, repositioning, or chasing) . It's satisfying when someone near full health suddenly dropped death from a super True shot. No trap required.  It doesn't always work out perfectly, but what does anyways?  The build has some flaws for sure, but if you can work around it, it's satisfying. 

Edited by quaniesan.8497

On 2/1/2022 at 8:32 AM, otto.5684 said:

My experience, which is very limited as I do not pvp much nowadays, it is mediocre. You have the survivability, but the damage is pretty bad. LB without skill 3 does not work and skill 2 has 8 sec CD for a marginal hit. ToF has no initial damage. If you played DH pre Feb 2020 patch, these are most of the damage sources. If you drop LB, might as well play core.

I've been 1hit by DH LB with 16.6k HP several times, and I've also seen them wipe entire teams on the node if the players were CC'd by a Necro (Reaper Shroud #5 or the Elite Shout that does the same thing).

The damage is definitely there, and they're still the most played class in ranked (G3-P1) next to Necro.

Edited by Hannelore.8153

8 hours ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

I've been 1hit by DH LB with 16.6k HP several times, and I've also seen them wipe entire teams on the node if the players were CC'd by a Necro (Reaper Shroud #5 or the Elite Shout that does the same thing).

The damage is definitely there, and they're still the most played class in ranked (G3-P1) next to Necro.

Most played with trapper rune. I would not say 16.6k is impossible in spvp, but I cannot hit that hard, using zerker, in PvE, with food buffs. SPvP With marauder it will hit below 4k on critic, zerker 4.5k. And reminder TS has 8 sec CD and roots you for 0.75 secs. Considering the requirements, that damage it deals is pathetic. 

I am literally the only one who I saw play none trapper DH, in that last 15-20 games I played. It is mediocre.

Tbh posts like this are pointless. Everything is "functional" provided ur skilled enough and your opponents are unskilled enough. I've hit plat2 solo q with FB, one of the worst specs in the game, so yes DH will remain "functional" without trapper runes. But whether or not it remains viable is another matter

Edited by Hogwarts Zebra.8597
  • Thanks 1