Baseline 25% movement speed

Zekent.3652

• Zekent.3652 changed the title to Baseline 25% movement speed

I honestly couldn't imagine playing this game outside of using the movespeed increasing passives. So used to my SB or Warrior running faster that anything less then that feels like I am crawling or constantly debuffed with cripple. 
Problem about making it baseline is that its a choice to have it or not, and the people who don't choose it, are easy to melee in pvp. Giving it to them would mean they could run away and effectively nerfs all melee classes in the game where it comes to pvp combat. Unless they only gave the baseline to pve content. 

• Like 1

If this was a thing you'd feel slow if you don't have swiftness and then there would inevitably be someone to call for baseline swiftness movement speed.

Which would lead us to feeling slow with baseline swiftness movement speed and people calling for baseline superspeed...

Truth is that the base movement speed is fine, it's just that the quality of life that the 25% movement speed grant is addictive.

• Like 6

We discussed this issue when we all felt there was something strange with movement speed many years ago on BG. We concluded that movement speed had been stealth changed, with the outcome that yielded slower movement speed than vanilla GW2 (cant remember if that was incombat speed or both, and it was denied (iirc), but we all noticed the change). Perhaps done to balance things for upcoming mounts.

But, I personally think the "modern" slower speed seems to break the flow of combat easier, if you leap and miss your target or knocked away, it takes a little bit too long to get back into the action than it did before. However, it also hinders ppl easily fleeing combat (i dont mind ppl fleeing combat, but some players complain about that too).

• Like 1

As far as PVE goes, the addition of mount in this game basically allowed me to replace all stuff that gives me 25% movement speed for more damage or utility. I dont think a baseline of 25% more movement speed now would change anything.

For WvW, it's kind of the same to an extent. Warclaw made traversing the map faster however the 25% movement increase remains a strong quality of life during fight. It is a bit less noticeable now that Anet gave almost all class some teleport or superspeed or dashes or basically any high mobility skill with or without stealth. But still, you do notice how slow you are when in combat without swiftness / superspeed / 25% passive movement. 

For SPVP, I think it would be a bit too much considering how small the maps are. 

4 hours ago, Alcatraznc.3869 said:

As far as PVE goes, the addition of mount in this game basically allowed me to replace all stuff that gives me 25% movement speed for more damage or utility. I dont think a baseline of 25% more movement speed now would change anything.

For WvW, it's kind of the same to an extent. Warclaw made traversing the map faster however the 25% movement increase remains a strong quality of life during fight. It is a bit less noticeable now that Anet gave almost all class some teleport or superspeed or dashes or basically any high mobility skill with or without stealth. But still, you do notice how slow you are when in combat without swiftness / superspeed / 25% passive movement. 

For SPVP, I think it would be a bit too much considering how small the maps are. 

I dunno about “too much.” Everyone is running 25%, swiftness and/or super speed. Its nothing more than a trade-off, targeting specific classes, for balance reasons that have stopped existing years ago.

I am of the mind the +33% of swiftness needs to be the base line and only super speed can augment movement speed (making it a boon as well). We could make the old swiftness into its own boon of something we are missing (just a random ideal) maybe a condi duration boon/ boon duration boon?

At the same time make super speed a +75% not a full +100% so its still a hit to get a chill and crippl on you.

17 hours ago, Harak.8397 said:

I'm fine with base movement speed... but I really like the 25% boost on my Charr who would otherwise look like he's moving through molasses.

Yeah that always got to me how slow the Charr moves on all fours outside of something increasing movespeed. Always felt like running on all fours would make you faster. That brief moment of casting swiftness and you running on 2 legs always suddenly made it feel so much faster then four legs. Quite glad these days for movement speed increasing passives. 

On 2/2/2022 at 9:31 PM, Zizekent.2398 said:

Why not? it's not 2012 anymore, do it, for every single class.

When will people understand that saying things like "it's not 2012 anymore" or "this is 2022!" is pretty much never a valid argument?

...unless you're arguing about what year it is 😄

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

On 2/3/2022 at 2:15 PM, Gorem.8104 said:

Yeah that always got to me how slow the Charr moves on all fours outside of something increasing movespeed. Always felt like running on all fours would make you faster. That brief moment of casting swiftness and you running on 2 legs always suddenly made it feel so much faster then four legs. Quite glad these days for movement speed increasing passives. 

Interestingly, the smaller your Charr, the less you will feel this.

Edited by Harak.8397
Proof reading is optional apparently :\
  • Like 3

You could also remove all 25% movement speed buffs, reduce swiftness to 25% and super speed to 33%.

That would give movement abilities (leaps, dashes, etc.)  more impact and increase the importance or proper positioning potentially. It would also remove the issue of superspeed outrunning leap skills, which is annoying to me.

The QoL of 25% mvmt speed out of combat is irrelevant now that mounts are a thing. The more I think about this the more I think that removing 25% movement speed would be really nice. But what do I know, I’m not the sharpest hammer in the shed 😛

Edited by oscuro.9720
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I'm of the mind that we're all moving too fast.  Movement speed is a balance issue, where the faster players move the harder it is to hit other players with ground-targeting effects and non-leaping melee skills.  The superspeed meta is real in WvW right now, with everyone either wearing Speed Runes or capable of creating their own superspeed.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The game's already way too fast. If anything,

Swiftness and Quickness should only bring you up to current movement and attack speeds, instead of even more speed baseline. It was okay back in Core (2012-2013~) but after all the powercreep, low cooldown skills, trait bloat and so on most battles just become a spamfest even in PvP.

Yes, we're pressing keys in the right order at the right times, BUT its still a spamfest.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Confused 1

On 2/3/2022 at 4:48 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

When will people understand that saying things like "it's not 2012 anymore" or "this is 2022!" is pretty much never a valid argument?

...unless you're arguing about what year it is 😄

That argument is usually about modernizing mechanics, or taking a concept that worked well in 2012 and has not changed since then but no longer works well, and updating it.

3 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

That argument is usually about modernizing mechanics, or taking a concept that worked well in 2012 and has not changed since then but no longer works well, and updating it.

Right. And how does this apply here? Adding free speed/stats isn't the same as "modernizing mechanics". It also still works now and OP said/did nothing to show otherwise. It's an attempt to have a substitute for an argument at best, but it still isn't one.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Right. And how does this apply here? Adding free speed/stats isn't the same as "modernizing mechanics". It also still works now and OP said/did nothing to show otherwise. It's an attempt to have a substitute for an argument at best, but it still isn't one.

I wasn't implying in any way how it applies here, but that is their sentiment with that statement.

Frankly, more people should use Runes of Speed or mount up and stop complaining.

Baseline 25% is unneeded, but baseline Swiftness level movement speed is an interesting idea to toy with, mainly with the removal of Swiftness as a boon. 

I'm always for de-clogging the Boon scene, because I really hate how so many Boons are floating all over these days.

• Confused 2

18 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

I wasn't implying in any way how it applies here, but that is their sentiment with that statement.

Ok, true, I think I didn't register the "usually" from your previous post. So as I see it, it  can be used after the argument to imply "it is time to do it", but still makes no sense to use in place of an argument, which is what I've meant when I said "it is not a valid argument [...by itself]" 😉  

• Confused 1