Nitpick with Charr dialogue

SoftFootpaws.9134

SPOILERS FOR ICEBROOD SAGA

When a Charr character discovers a region, they say "Can't wait to tell my Warband about this place!". This still occurs after playing through Drizzlewood Coast, which takes away from immersion and is lore-breaking.

Can't wait to tell dead people and traitors about this place!

Perhaps this could be replaced with one of the thousands of other recorded lines from the Charr PC?

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 2

Don't worry, in the next expansion (after EoD) or Living World season 6 we'll explore the Afterlife and try to restore it after Kralkatorrik's rampage.

While we are there, you can tell Mankrik's wife your Warband all about that place you mercilessly slaughtered them in.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Haha 4

• ArenaNet Staff
7 hours ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

SPOILERS FOR ICEBROOD SAGA

When a Charr character discovers a region, they say "Can't wait to tell my Warband about this place!". This still occurs after playing through Drizzlewood Coast, which takes away from immersion and is lore-breaking.

Can't wait to tell dead people and traitors about this place!

Perhaps this could be replaced with one of the thousands of other recorded lines from the Charr PC?

Yeah, the systemic PC chatter was originally designed to be evergreen in that it should be general enough to work anywhere, regardless of your story state, but specific enough to feel like it's coming from your individual character. That line definitely doesn't meet that criteria. 😆

In the short term, you may wanna disable PC chatter. (That's what I do because a lot of the chatter is a little too jokey for my tastes.) Longer term, we may be able to put this on the list of things to potentially update in the future should we have the time and resources to do it. No guarantees, but it's certainly something to consider.

Edited by Bobby Stein.3612
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

There's a few places where dialogue no longer makes sense, but you just deal with it. I always enjoyed hearing "that Caudecus, he has a good head on his shoulders" in the human player housing after he went mad, attacked DR, killed his daughter, and was eventually killed for treason... I understand that there's a difference between player dialogue and NPC dialogue, but similar outcome.

51 minutes ago, DragonMoon.6098 said:

Did I miss something...does the Charr PC's warband show up during IBS? I don't have a Charr that far along because I honestly can't stand playing them (too big and clunky to move)...my one Charr is just my armorsmith mule. 

Many of the Event Bosses in Drizzlrwood are former friends, allys and potential warband members from the different personal charr Storys 10-30.

Also you can have a conversation with your choosen survived Member from the character creation in the Base Camp.

He confirms that you didn't visit them in years and that he official replaced you as the leader.

Edited by Keymaster.7362

5 minutes ago, Keymaster.7362 said:

Many of the Event Bosses in Drizzlrwood are former friends, allys and potential warband members from the different personal charr Storys 10-30.

Also you can have a conversation with your choosen survived Member from the character creation.

He confirms that you didn't visit them in years and that he official replaced you as the leader.

Ah, ok. Charr was the first race I ever played going back to 2012, so I don't remember the personal story at all, short of that Rytlock was in it. I'm a Norn girl for the most part, lol. 

Maybe I'll have to force myself to play another Charr.

Edited by DragonMoon.6098

Only 1 (known) warband member from your personal story's warband is confirmed to defect. No other from the current warband members you left is confirmed to be dead or anything, they just don't appear nor ever get mentioned at all.

We don't even know how big the warband grew at the charge of your sparring partner, but they themselves confirm that there is still a warband.

Edited by Wolfb.7025

22 hours ago, Bobby Stein.3612 said:

Yeah, the systemic PC chatter was originally designed to be evergreen in that it should be general enough to work anywhere, regardless of your story state, but specific enough to feel like it's coming from your individual character. That line definitely doesn't meet that criteria. 😆

In the short term, you may wanna disable PC chatter. (That's what I do because a lot of the chatter is a little too jokey for my tastes.) Longer term, we may be able to put this on the list of things to potentially update in the future should we have the time and resources to do it. No guarantees, but it's certainly something to consider.

IMO it still works a bit, as your warband isn't completely wiped out (sparring partner still exists!).

Though I think a simple side story chain for charr PCs who completed the Drizzlewood meta (ala Knight in the Thorn) to rebuild it and replace the charr racial warband skill with the new members from generic members could be a more fun way to fix the "problem".

[EDIT: Also in HoT, the charr PC calls proto-Dragon's Watch a warband, so they can easily refer to that guild in the line too, in context.]

12 minutes ago, Wolfb.7025 said:

Only 1 warband member from your personal story's warband is confirmed to deflect. No other from your warband is confirmed or ever hinted to be dead or anything, they just don't appear nor ever get mentioned at all.

If you talk to the sparring partner, they say that the warband suffered some deaths and desertions. So at least one member died, and at least one member turned traitor.

In the PS, you recruit two people - making you a warband of 4 when you leave. Unless there were more recruiting going on (entirely plausible), then it's like Smodur said to Cinder at the start of the negotiations:

Smodur the Unflinching: A warband of two.
Edited by Konig Des Todes.2086
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

If you talk to the sparring partner, they say that the warband suffered some deaths and desertions. So at least one member died, and at least one member turned traitor.

In the PS, you recruit two people - making you a warband of 4 when you leave. Unless there were more recruiting going on (entirely plausible), then it's like Smodur said to Cinder at the start of the negotiations:

Smodur the Unflinching: A warband of two.

I just edited my post after researching the dialogue.

Sparring partner also mentions that the warband grew, so we don't really know how big it was and how many remain. But given how much attention anet put onto player's charr personal story in this important part of general charr story I doubt we will ever find out. Heck, even the 5 sparring partners have exactly the same dialogue, despite each of them having completely different personalities.

Edited by Wolfb.7025
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1