Bosses in Personal stories - blocking whole zones for many

Rafnir.3724

Ok, first of all, this is venting. But imo, it's well deserved criticism of this game.

I absolutely love the open world in this game, clearing maps, doing random events, achievements, and so on. I've barely touched crafting, but it is my plan to do alot more soon - I've gathered insane amounts of mats, so I should be able to get it going.

But the personal stories are the absolute worst garbage I've played in years. I'm not gonna mention all I find boring with them, I'm only gonna talk about the worst part, and that's the bosses. Not too bad in the core game, but then you get to the expansions and DLCs...

Who the hell thought it was a good idea to lock whole zones behind personal stories, riddled with bosses loads of people are having huge problems with?? I don't consider myself a good player, but when most of the contents of expansions and DLCs I paid real money for, is unaccessable because I struggle with certain bosses, then something is clearly wrong, imo. And btw, it's not just me - I've looked up tons of discussions about many of the bosses to get tips on strategies and such, and my god there are many discussions out there where people say they rage-quit the game because of this.

Personally, my first real brickwall was the boss in Heart of Thornes, Stavemaster Adryn. I had absolutely no chance of beating this boss. But luckily, in this case, I could restart the chapter, take another choice and avoid that one.

Path of Fire is a different story... I'm now at Eater of Souls, and I doubt I'm ever gonna beat him. This is a boss which AGAIN ranged players will have an easier time with (easier, not easy), I found proof of that right here on these forums. Why are most, almost all, bosses easiest for ranged? The only one I can think of that makes it very, very good to be melee, is Balthazar, where you can just circle around closely while beating him, most of the fight.

Many of the bosses are so slow to kill, and can kill you in one hit. It feels like I'm soloing a raid. I think this is terrible game design. I don't expect everything to be easy, but at least do NOT block access to loads of contents this way. This was NOT done in the core game, so why in the expansions and DLCs? Let the hard stuff be world bosses, raids, etc. Or AT LEAST make ALL bosses like most are - not regenerate health in any way, and not reset. This way, everyone can get through it, and get full access, regardless if you never die or die a million times.

And by the way, a little side comment: the NPCs that are supposed to help you in some missions, are usually completely worthless. The ONLY time they did their job so far, was in the Night of Fire chapter of Path of Fire. Usually they just stand there, doing nothing at all. Fix them or remove them.

I really, really, really HATE the personal stories, but I wanna get them done, so that I have full access to the stuff I love. For god's sake, come to your senses, ArenaNet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 2

I can understand that some bosses require a learning curve, and can require a lot out of your chosen profession.  Some professions have it easier, and some fights are just hard.

However, all the fights are able to be mastered with a little effort, and suggesting that 'many' or 'loads' of people have problems with them sounds like an exaggeration.

I also cannot think of any Bosses that block zone access, only story progression.  In HoT and PoF you can walk to any zone you want, and LWS always have a simple dialogue intro to get you to the new zone (if there is one).

If you want help with the bosses, the build you are running, suggestions for easier ways to clear content, you can ask here on the forums.  People will be happy to help you if you want it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 1

Yes, ANet. Come to your senses! You made some encounters and fighty thingies where the player might actually... Jesus, I can't say it. It's too horrible. But. But ANet, the players:

They might lose.

There. I said it. Truly the scariest time to be alive - Sometimes, sometimes players actually have to pay attention to mechanics and timings and draw a line that makes sense across those three build specialization drawings tucked away in that tab not everyone seems to know exists.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 9
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Maybe it is time to take a look in the mirror and set up a proper build and learn the mechanics. This isnt a movie. You are playing a game, and a game should be beaten. We live in a time where players cant stand losing...

If you really struggle look up some nice build and guides online. I never needed them for open world and no, things did not always work out for me either. But thats part of the fun no? You clearly managed to survive HoT maps so you have to be someone that can stand his ground.

The bosses in story mode present a small challenge but nothing that cant be overcome. If you really cant beat them ask a friend to join and help you out. Its amazing the game allows this.

Good luck.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Rafnir.3724 said:

Ok, first of all, this is venting. But imo, it's well deserved criticism of this game.

I absolutely love the open world in this game, clearing maps, doing random events, achievements, and so on. I've barely touched crafting, but it is my plan to do alot more soon - I've gathered insane amounts of mats, so I should be able to get it going.

But the personal stories are the absolute worst garbage I've played in years. I'm not gonna mention all I find boring with them, I'm only gonna talk about the worst part, and that's the bosses. Not too bad in the core game, but then you get to the expansions and DLCs...

Who the hell thought it was a good idea to lock whole zones behind personal stories, riddled with bosses loads of people are having huge problems with?? I don't consider myself a good player, but when most of the contents of expansions and DLCs I paid real money for, is unaccessable because I struggle with certain bosses, then something is clearly wrong, imo. And btw, it's not just me - I've looked up tons of discussions about many of the bosses to get tips on strategies and such, and my god there are many discussions out there where people say they rage-quit the game because of this.

Personally, my first real brickwall was the boss in Heart of Thornes, Stavemaster Adryn. I had absolutely no chance of beating this boss. But luckily, in this case, I could restart the chapter, take another choice and avoid that one.

Path of Fire is a different story... I'm now at Eater of Souls, and I doubt I'm ever gonna beat him. This is a boss which AGAIN ranged players will have an easier time with (easier, not easy), I found proof of that right here on these forums. Why are most, almost all, bosses easiest for ranged? The only one I can think of that makes it very, very good to be melee, is Balthazar, where you can just circle around closely while beating him, most of the fight.

Many of the bosses are so slow to kill, and can kill you in one hit. It feels like I'm soloing a raid. I think this is terrible game design. I don't expect everything to be easy, but at least do NOT block access to loads of contents this way. This was NOT done in the core game, so why in the expansions and DLCs? Let the hard stuff be world bosses, raids, etc. Or AT LEAST make ALL bosses like most are - not regenerate health in any way, and not reset. This way, everyone can get through it, and get full access, regardless if you never die or die a million times.

And by the way, a little side comment: the NPCs that are supposed to help you in some missions, are usually completely worthless. The ONLY time they did their job so far, was in the Night of Fire chapter of Path of Fire. Usually they just stand there, doing nothing at all. Fix them or remove them.

I really, really, really HATE the personal stories, but I wanna get them done, so that I have full access to the stuff I love. For god's sake, come to your senses, ArenaNet.

You acknowledge that you aren't the best player, but then you go on to make a lot of inaccurate assumptions that blame the design.  So which is it?  If the design is to blame, then most players would struggle.  That isn't the case, so chances are there is something you're doing wrong. 

Without more information, I can only guess as to what you're struggling with, but here is a clip of Eater of Souls on a melee build.  Maybe we can get a discussion going and figure out why you're having trouble?  What is different here compared with your experience?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

You acknowledge that you aren't the best player, but then you go on to make a lot of inaccurate assumptions that blame the design.  So which is it?  If the design is to blame, then most players would struggle.  That isn't the case, so chances are there is something you're doing wrong. 

Without more information, I can only guess as to what you're struggling with, but here is a clip of Eater of Souls on a melee build.  Maybe we can get a discussion going and figure out why you're having trouble?  What is different here compared with your experience?

Well I think Rafnir.3724  do abit less dps so they get the cc bar, jump and life steal on them.

Rafnir.3724  you can either break the bar with certain skills or just run away and engage again after eater of souls done its life leech.

Edit

Changed OP to Rafnir.3724  since its a continuation of a earlier thread.

Edited by Linken.6345

4 hours ago, Rafnir.3724 said:

Many of the bosses are so slow to kill, and can kill you in one hit. It feels like I'm soloing a raid. I think this is terrible game design. I don't expect everything to be easy

Not to be rude, but you probably are running a terrible build and likely don't know how to break breakbars - otherwise this can't really be explained. With all the player powercreep leading up to HoT and especially through PoF, it's really difficult to make a build that both doesn't do any damage and falls over sheer instantly.

Most story bosses can literally be bursted down in seconds without really touching you (including things like Eater of Souls), given a decent build and play. 

Feel free to share your build and I, as well as likely many others here, gladly give you some pointers. Don't just blame the game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There are maybe a million people playing this game. There have been a handful of complaints about personal story boss difficulty. It's a tiny fraction of the community.

You know when a complaint is "big" because it's commonly reiterated and often on the first page.  A lot of people wanted mounts and we always saw mount threads.  I can think of 3 instances where they talked about personal story difficulty and none of the ones mentioned blocks you getting into a zone.

The truth is, this is a non-issue.  If  you made the personal story easy enough for everyone (it's mostly already too easy), then you in fact, make it too boring for most of the population.   

I think with a very very few exceptions the personal story difficulties are fine.  I've done every one of them on every class so I know it's possible.  It's also possible to make a friend and do it together with them, because that's also an option.

If you refuse to make friends with people, or find some help, than that's on you, because the stories, for the vast majority are simply not that hard.  And there really isn't that much complaint about them.

When random mount skin packs came out there was an outcry. This? This is a storm in a teacup.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rafnir.3724 said:

Hey, how comes you didn't get it? Were you avoiding his 1 shot attack?
I just went there blinded and downed to his 1shot cyclone thingy then when I was back up i killed him. As it wasn't that clean i restarted and just avoiding the first attack and sticking to his but I had no trouble at all.
here is the second kill:

Might be worth for you to go and have a try at it again and get that bad boy dead ☺️

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rafnir.3724 said:

When I was brand new I boosted a 80 and zoomed into PoF first. I did soul eater as a weaver with a sword and pure DPS exotic build. 

I didn't rly have a issue here. Think I died once and then I won the second try. I don't think "loads" of players and e struggling with this in all honestly. 

What proffession ad build are you playing? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fangoth.4503 said:

Hey, how comes you didn't get it? Were you avoiding his 1 shot attack?
I just went there blinded and downed to his 1shot cyclone thingy then when I was back up i killed him. As it wasn't that clean i restarted and just avoiding the first attack and sticking to his but I had no trouble at all.
here is the second kill:

Might be worth for you to go and have a try at it again and get that bad boy dead ☺️

What setting or addon make the small floaters on the side of your character the absorb etc.

Just now, trunks.5249 said:

reading this makes me wonder if something like the boss challenges from the upper part of the The Crown Pavilion should be permanent. so people could practice on all the different ways boss's work.

it totally should yeah, more solo contents like that should be around so people can challenge themselves