Bosses in Personal stories - blocking whole zones for many

Rafnir.3724

1 hour ago, Rafnir.3724 said:

Thanks all, but I've uninstalled and gone back to FFXIV.

Take care.

OK, but please do remember to log out when you make your inevitable rant on their forums about game difficulty - unlike GW2, FF has some large server queues, so I imagine that lot would prefer it if you whinged while not taking up a player slot.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Rafnir.3724 said:

Thanks all, but I've uninstalled and gone back to FFXIV.

Take care.

To a game where literally every expansion map is gated behind the story progression. Where there are instances with bosses that require more effort than anything in the GW2 stories.

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1. Struggles with Story content in Gw2

2. Out of desperation and venting makes forum post

3. Gets lots of helpful advice, even from players offering their help in game to assist :Seriously how much more help can you possibly get offered than that?? 

4. Proceeds to uninstall and go play FFXIV, like there aren't similar issues you will encounter there??? 

5. Why bother even making GW2 forum post in the first place over such a trivial matter, getting lots of offers of help but then quitting anyway?? Seriously....kitten

Edited by Gregg.3970
  • Like 9

Eater of Souls didn't really stand out to me as one of the ones to get stuck on. Needed to google it to remember it yeah, the Mouth of  Zaitan you see in the mists. Had more trouble with the Branded Siege Devourer when I was new. I used my healing Scourge against the Eater of Souls, yeah, not meta for soloing personal story but went fine. Some bosses have a bit high health for the build like the  Mark II Beta Exterminator Golem. Takes a while but finishable.

8 hours ago, lokh.2695 said:

Story difficulty is fine. Try avoiding damage and don't play on nomad's gear.

I saw a group of players recently who might beg to differ, or maybe one player with a lot of accounts. A group of Engineers with Pearl shields. And a mesmer porting them about Amnoon. Anyway I mentioned, "That's a lot of pearl shields." One replied, "They were expensive because they were Nomad."

• Haha 1

Complaining about how something affects many (unnamed and not present) others, rather than just focusing on explaining his perception of a possible issue is a pretty solid red flag that the supposed issue is self inflicted IMO.

OP,

You are speaking for yourself. Attempting to couch in terms to make you the leader of a movement or something of the sort completely undermines your point.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gregg.3970 said:

5. Why bother even making GW2 forum post in the first place over such a trivial matter, getting lots of offers of help but then quitting anyway?? Seriously....kitten

I just come here from time to time and almost every time I find a post that sooner or later we can summarize as "GW2 sucks, FFXIV rules". It's like a tradition.

• Haha 2

Stavemaster is an exception. I usually did not have many trouble with most story bosses. (Some took a lot of time though. And were "annoying". But not hard or unkillable - unless going for optional achievements.)

That said: Most zones are not locked. (Others already explained this.) Then there is the option to use "teleport to friend" for example. People often ask for this in chat.

And yeah: Ranged is easier often ... cause you can avoid most damage if the enemy is melee basesd and/or has slow ranged projectiles - easy to avoid the damage with a bit mobility and kiting. Then again: All professions can creat ranged builds. As engineer I desperataly tried to kill Stavemaster with hammer cause I thought I had to play the scrapper that got released with HoT lol. Probably not trying that a 2nd time. (My Chronomancer - with some PvE build recommended herein the forums ... ranged with greatsword - hat little trouble with that guy.)

Edited by Luthan.5236

17 hours ago, Rafnir.3724 said:

Ok, first of all, this is venting. But imo, it's well deserved criticism of this game.

I absolutely love the open world in this game, clearing maps, doing random events, achievements, and so on. I've barely touched crafting, but it is my plan to do alot more soon - I've gathered insane amounts of mats, so I should be able to get it going.

But the personal stories are the absolute worst garbage I've played in years. I'm not gonna mention all I find boring with them, I'm only gonna talk about the worst part, and that's the bosses. Not too bad in the core game, but then you get to the expansions and DLCs...

Who the hell thought it was a good idea to lock whole zones behind personal stories, riddled with bosses loads of people are having huge problems with?? I don't consider myself a good player, but when most of the contents of expansions and DLCs I paid real money for, is unaccessable because I struggle with certain bosses, then something is clearly wrong, imo. And btw, it's not just me - I've looked up tons of discussions about many of the bosses to get tips on strategies and such, and my god there are many discussions out there where people say they rage-quit the game because of this.

Personally, my first real brickwall was the boss in Heart of Thornes, Stavemaster Adryn. I had absolutely no chance of beating this boss. But luckily, in this case, I could restart the chapter, take another choice and avoid that one.

Path of Fire is a different story... I'm now at Eater of Souls, and I doubt I'm ever gonna beat him. This is a boss which AGAIN ranged players will have an easier time with (easier, not easy), I found proof of that right here on these forums. Why are most, almost all, bosses easiest for ranged? The only one I can think of that makes it very, very good to be melee, is Balthazar, where you can just circle around closely while beating him, most of the fight.

Many of the bosses are so slow to kill, and can kill you in one hit. It feels like I'm soloing a raid. I think this is terrible game design. I don't expect everything to be easy, but at least do NOT block access to loads of contents this way. This was NOT done in the core game, so why in the expansions and DLCs? Let the hard stuff be world bosses, raids, etc. Or AT LEAST make ALL bosses like most are - not regenerate health in any way, and not reset. This way, everyone can get through it, and get full access, regardless if you never die or die a million times.

And by the way, a little side comment: the NPCs that are supposed to help you in some missions, are usually completely worthless. The ONLY time they did their job so far, was in the Night of Fire chapter of Path of Fire. Usually they just stand there, doing nothing at all. Fix them or remove them.

I really, really, really HATE the personal stories, but I wanna get them done, so that I have full access to the stuff I love. For god's sake, come to your senses, ArenaNet.

If someone has this much trouble with story mode bosses, it's mostly a sign of them not understanding the mechanics of the game. Also I don't think there's a lot of cases -if any- in which story somehow locks you out of the zones. For the most part you can just go through the portal to get to the next map. You should probably stop trying to rush through the content for the sole sake of rushing it and instead build the understanding of the game you're playing. On the other hand, if you still want to rush through it... well,  these complaints are the result of it.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, trunks.5249 said:

reading this makes me wonder if something like the boss challenges from the upper part of the The Crown Pavilion should be permanent. so people could practice on all the different ways boss's work.

People like OP would never touch that so it would accomplish nothing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

As engineer I desperataly tried to kill Stavemaster with hammer cause I thought I had to play the scrapper that got released with HoT lol.

IIRC there are a bunch of pots of poison you can throw at the boss in that case.

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

If someone has this much trouble with story mode bosses, it's mostly a sign of them not understanding the mechanics of the game. Also I don't think there's a lot of cases -if any- in which story somehow locks you out of the zones. For the most part you can just go through the portal to get to the next map. You should probably stop trying to rush through the content for the sole sake of rushing it and instead build the understanding of the game you're playing. On the other hand, if you still want to rush through it... well,  these complaints are the result of it.

At least some of the LS maps requires completing an instance or two in order to arrive at the map if not using a Teleport to Friend.

Never had any issues with most storybosses.  The only one that I can remember was an annoyance was Taimi with Scruffy at the finale of LS4-1. That fight is just too long, and the overload of effects on the grounds does me no favor with my vision issues.

Ive cruised through every other boss ingame.

Edited by LucianDK.8615
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Wintermute.5408 said:

Joke's on you, I can just repeatedly throw my corpse at most bosses till I'm naked and victorious.

I confess to having done this on occasion in some games that allowed the player to re-engage before the event had reset, inspite of punitive measures. I believe I ended up meleeing a boss in Bioshock Infinite to death after my repeated failures exhausted all ammo. It took ages and screwed me over, but it felt good.

• Haha 3

Not sure what's difficult in the personal stories. Your original post is not really giving specifics. What zones are blocked by personal story? This is something I'm not familiar with. I understand there is a learning curve compared to some other mmo or there,  but there is wiki and they are actually not that difficult, but the mechanics can be a bit confusing. I'm on EU surver and I'm happy to help with anything you might have trouble with. I'm not an amazing player. But I've done the personal story about 6 times, so I'm well versed in many of the scenarios.

• Like 1