It is vital that we get more build templates with EoD

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Still there's no reason to give even more money to Anet for this, [...]

Yes, there is: the additional slots are needed.

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Basically, increasing cap on tab purchases might be useful short-term for those asking for it, but in the longterm is damaging for everyone.

What alternative do people have, though?

• Confused 3

9 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Not buying them en masse until ArenaNet tries something else/more agreeable to the players. It's not a guaranteed strategy, but it's something that would be more likely to effect change than simply continuing to purchase them as they're offered currently. Raids, for example, stopped getting made because not enough people were doing them. If not enough templates were selling, they might then try to offer them in a different, more profitable way to get the most out of the work done to add them in the first place.

Personally, I think they should make them an accountwide purchase. The ideal situation would be to have them function as they did in GW1, but failing that, accountwide access to each loadout you purchase + increasing the amount of loadouts you can buy seems like it would improve the system quite a lot.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

No amount of added slots is going to fix this system. It will only increase the costs. If people were to stop paying for it however, and keep calling them out in it, it might force Anet to  rethink things and possibly fix templates at least a little bit. Or at least positively impact the design of any future systems.

6 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

It's exactly because some people think like that, cave in and subsidize Anet mistakes that this system is not getting fixed.

Paying Anet for intentionally breaking things is not an alternative that should ever be seriously considered. All it accomplishes is to encourage them to introduce more of them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

On 2/9/2022 at 8:41 AM, Astralporing.1957 said:

No amount of added slots is going to fix this system.

I never said it would.

Listen, we are on the same page here. I was the one who created the thread that grew quickly after ANet's version of "templates" (if you dare to call them that) was released. Immediate criticism was a good thing, because there was still a chance they might go back and redo it, because people were miffed for valid reasons.

However, it is unrealistic to expect them to change their version of this system now, not anytime soon, not ever. It took them about 8 (!) years to come up with what we have now, I am not going to limit my gameplay further in the hopes that, in another 8 years, we might be getting what we actually want(ed all along).

Sometimes, there is no other solution to an issue than radical acceptance.

On 2/9/2022 at 2:16 AM, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Not buying them en masse until ArenaNet tries something else/more agreeable to the players. It's not a guaranteed strategy, but it's something that would be more likely to effect change than simply continuing to purchase them as they're offered currently. Raids, for example, stopped getting made because not enough people were doing them. If not enough templates were selling, they might then try to offer them in a different, more profitable way to get the most out of the work done to add them in the first place.

Personally, I think they should make them an accountwide purchase. The ideal situation would be to have them function as they did in GW1, but failing that, accountwide access to each loadout you purchase + increasing the amount of loadouts you can buy seems like it would improve the system quite a lot.

I wholeheartedly agree on the issue. But I think any attempts to drive ANet to redo their templates system from scratch is unrealistic and 100% a waste of time - therefore, boycotting the current system only hampers your own in-game QoL (especially if you are full legendary and can't just switch weapons and stats "on the fly").

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Sometimes, there is no other solution to an issue than radical acceptance.

Problem is, as i see it, your acceptance increases the chance that I would get inflicted with another system of similar "quality" (quotes intentional) in the future.

Sure, i may realize that the chances of Anet ever fixing their own mess is next to zero, but i'm never going to give them a pass on that. because that would teach them that they can mess up as much as they want, because eventually everyone will forget about it and just move on - and will even want to pay them for that mess.

35 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I wholeheartedly agree on the issue. But I think any attempts to drive ANet to redo their templates system from scratch is unrealistic and 100% a waste of time - therefore, boycotting the current system only hampers your own in-game QoL (especially if you are full legendary and can't just switch weapons and stats "on the fly").

Sure, leaving the mess as it is may hamper my current QoL, but accepting it is 100% going to hamper me in the future - and to a much bigger degree.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Sure, leaving the mess as it is may hamper my current QoL, but accepting it is 100% going to hamper me in the future - and to a much bigger degree.

If there is one thing we have been taught in the past ten years it's that they are going to do what they want one way or the other. 😐

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

If i was that pessimistic about the future, i'd be long gone from this game.

I don't consider that to be pessimistic, just realistic.

Look, they invested a lot of time into their current "template" system. Yes, many of us who remember GW1 or who used ArcDPS's template feature in GW2 expected it to be like that - like actual templates, not loadouts, of which you could save as many as you wanted, locally.

Now, I suspect that their current system was specifically designed this way to not give you that freedom, but instead have you pay for each single loadout - not welcome, and also quite unpractical (especially in regard of the gear loadout and even skill template storage limitation of 6 and 27 respectively, which you wouldn't have if they were saved locally instead of on the server), but hey.

They will not throw months, or years (?), of work out the window just to please us, especially when many have already spent money on this system - how would they compensate those players?

So, while I hope that there will be some adjustments to the system, it will still never be what we wanted it to be from the start. (I wouldn't mind to be proven wrong, though, but I don't see it happen.)

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I don't consider that to be pessimistic, just realistic.

Any MMORPG that is designed in complete separation from the wants and needs of its community is going to fail. Hard. As such, the very moment i will think they truly no longer care what community thinks will be the moment it would be prudent to pack your bags and leave, because there would be no point in staying in such a game anymore.

They will not throw months, or years (?), of work out the window just to please us, especially when many have already spent money on this system - how would they compensate those players?

Sure, you're most likely right. What i want however is for them not to throw months or years or work into designing next similar system.

I guess you're completely missing my point here. I am not aiming for Anet to fix that specific system. I am aiming for community to not encourage Anet to break this game even further with more systems that are broken like that.

The corollary to my answer to your first quote is that a game is also a business. So, if the community is okay with getting fleeced for shoddy work - even if that is only a grudging acceptance - that community will get fleeced and offered shoddy work. Your approach to template system is exactly that - a grudging acceptance for getting fleeced, and for shoddy work. If you close your eyes on one example of such, you will be letting them not only get away with this, but even profit from it. That is an approach that is certain to hurt this game longterm.

As such, i am strongly opposed to it.

TL/DR: anyone that pays for this system, is subsidizing Anet to break this game more. And asking to add more paid tabs is asking for players to subsidize Anet to break this game even more. Both are bad, and something i do not want to see.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 2/7/2022 at 2:40 AM, Shade.8971 said:

The template system is one of the most egregious, money grabbing systems in this game to date.  Breaking the system up into three seperate templates? Character specific?  Coming from the amazing system in GW1, yikes. We're past the point of no return. Many have already paid for extra character slots and maxed out templates for them.  

If they halved the cost and just doubled the amount people who already bought some have they'd at least be an okay deal compared to character slots, as it stands right now you're better off with more characters.

System still sucks compared to GW1. Build template slots are a joke, I can understand charging some gems for equipment tabs as it saves you inventory space but builds don't offer you much - especially since you can't fiddle with traits and then choose whether or not to save it to a template, it changes the 'template' automatically as you tweak.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 8:02 PM, Ashantara.8731 said:

The alternative is to buy character slots. There are trade offs but it's an option.  Personally, I like templates and I have hit the limit on a few characters ... but I still have separate characters for PVE and WvW. 

Edited by Obtena.7952

More templates please 👍Currently 6 are already to few for me, with EoD this will be harsh 😅

Alternatively i could also imagine to split the templates from game modes, so we have 6 for pve, 6 for pvp and 6 for wvw and end up with a total of 18 😄

Edited by NeroBoron.7285
  • Like 1

the system is scuffed? yes. is it worse in every way than arc dps? yes. do we have alternative? no.
since i can convert gold into gems, i dont care about the price. yes, i would swipe if there was no other way, but im sitting on 4k raw, and 16k gems, waiting for the templates extension since the day it released.
i remember, on the release day i asked a dev if/when are they going to extend it. they said "soon"
we are closer and closer to the expec, and ive heard rumors that for some client side reason, they cant extend it further.
has anet ever said something abt that?
i just want to be able to play every build on 1 character. if someone is concerned about the price, then buying another char slot is better for them. 2x equipment template, 3x build template for 800. its 1,1k gem cheaper than buying templates. + they get another alt to leave it near some chests.
just give us more slots, no harm in that.

• Like 1