Is scepter strong anywhere?

Mik.3401

Fresh air weaver can be played with varied levels of success in competitive modes - this is what I know from practice.

What about other game modes? I can see there is some power tempest build with scepter for raids but frankly I never seen anyone playing it.

Edited by Mik.3401
  • Confused 1

the very spammable and ranged fire auto applies a surprisingly respectable amount of burning, making it feature in easy (but not necessarily high) dps builds for people who “dont want to piano” because it doesnt need to leave fire attunement

ignoring that, its ok as a condi weapon in pve and can replace weapons in meta condi builds with fairly small performance loss (if played correctly). it falls short power wise as its poor autos result in very low sustained dmg when not paired with fresh air overload spam tempest

with the exception of fresh air scepter, i dont know how else it is played outside of pve

Scepter has a lot of place holder skills mostly its auto attks. Your nearly better off using its 2 and 3 and swapping atuments then ever useing an 1 skill.

Scepter is also the only core wepon with no aura and no transmutation. Over all the wepon feels out dated.

5 hours ago, FrownyClown.8402 said:

They nerfed scepter because it had too many instant cast abilities while ignoring mesmer and adding it back to weaver.

but

Mesmers Sceptar is 1 channeled attack 1 block and a auto attack?. it doesnt have any instant abilities.

Unless we're talking mesmers staff.. which is Carried off the back of Mirages mechanic and not the Weapon itselfs capability. and even then, 3/5 Staff abilities do actually have a cast time on them short cast times though.

the strongest it gets is that silly sidenoder build which tbh needs to die anyway.

i think necros the only one with a Strong Sceptar build however tho tbh.

Edited by Daddy.8125

54 minutes ago, Jski.6180 said:

Ice shards should at least have a pricing effect as well as Stone shards. Arc lighting just needs to hit faster. I have no ideal how you put an aura and a transmutation on scepter.

You dont really need an Aura on Scepter since all off hands already offer Auras. Dagger has shocking because it's more close range than scepter. Magnetic would be good if they didnt have it on Staff already. 

EDIT: I like your other suggestions. I really think Ice Shards needs to do something else besides damage, if not piercing maybe just vuln if all three shards hit. Stone Shards, maybe some tweaking to the bleeds it applies so its not as laughable.

Edited by fuzzyp.6295
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Jski.6180 said:

Ice shards should at least have a pricing effect as well as Stone shards. Arc lighting just needs to hit faster. I have no ideal how you put an aura and a transmutation on scepter.

Think the way sceptar and staff do DMG just needs modernising. More upfront damage and less Damage over time fields really also some work to make them work on small hitboxs would be nice. 

But I guess fingers cross for the "significant" patch we get after EoD launch that they said they intend to deal with current problems in is our best hopes for anything like this I guess

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Daddy.8125 said:

Think the way sceptar and staff do DMG just needs modernising. More upfront damage and less Damage over time fields really also some work to make them work on small hitboxs would be nice. 

But I guess fingers cross for the "significant" patch we get after EoD launch that they said they intend to deal with current problems in is our best hopes for anything like this I guess

What damage over time are you referring too other than the Auto Attacks? Dragon's Tooth, Phoenix, Shatterstone, Water Trident, Lightning Strike, and Dust Devil are all instant damage. Rock Barrier is too, kinda... i guess.

EDIT: Oh you mentioned Staff as well, alright. Dragon's Tooth i could probably put in Damage over time just because of the long casting animation but its damage isn't really a DoT .. just a delayed animation.

Edited by fuzzyp.6295

10 hours ago, Daddy.8125 said:

but

Mesmers Sceptar is 1 channeled attack 1 block and a auto attack?. it doesnt have any instant abilities.

Unless we're talking mesmers staff.. which is Carried off the back of Mirages mechanic and not the Weapon itselfs capability. and even then, 3/5 Staff abilities do actually have a cast time on them short cast times though.

the strongest it gets is that silly sidenoder build which tbh needs to die anyway.

i think necros the only one with a Strong Sceptar build however tho tbh.

I'd assume @FrownyClown.8402 is talking about shatters and utility skills rather than anything on mesmer weapons directly.

10 hours ago, fuzzyp.6295 said:

What damage over time are you referring too other than the Auto Attacks? Dragon's Tooth, Phoenix, Shatterstone, Water Trident, Lightning Strike, and Dust Devil are all instant damage. Rock Barrier is too, kinda... i guess.

EDIT: Oh you mentioned Staff as well, alright. Dragon's Tooth i could probably put in Damage over time just because of the long casting animation but its damage isn't really a DoT .. just a delayed animation.

Dmg buff and number fixes alone will not fix any thing about the ele class there are out right missing effects and scepter maybe the one wepon with the worst of it (partly because it only has 3 skills) mostly because its one of the most out dated wepon that ele has. Even dragon tooth is as bad "looking" as can be because of its "hot fix like update" for it to become a ground target effect with out update to make it look good or play better after it was updated. They could of at least make it a few teeth giving it a look of a bigger aoe "dragon teeth" or "dragon bite" not the tooth that appears sideways on a very small aoe with a very long wind up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2022 at 6:23 PM, Jski.6180 said:

They could of at least make it a few teeth giving it a look of a bigger aoe "dragon teeth" or "dragon bite" not the tooth that appears sideways on a very small aoe with a very long wind up.

Refresh of ele skills would be appreciated.

Some weapons skills are telegraphed as if were boss attacks.

If something is painfully obvious at least it could be less painfully easy to walk out of bc of the delay.

On 2/25/2022 at 4:12 AM, Sahne.6950 said:

unpopular opinion.... but

Freshair Ele is still pretty good in spvp and WvW... tho the skillfloor is INSAAAANELY HIGH! anyone but the top 25 Freshairs are just a freekill... altho those good FA eles are INSANE!

What you're seeing is not that FA Ele is insane, it's their teammates that are insane.

FA Ele works well when everyone in your team knows what they are doing and rotate well. Put two top Ele players (one FA, one Fire Weaver) into Gold teams, and you will see the one playing FA losing badly to the one playing Fire Weaver. The team rotation will be messy, leaving the FA player will end up having to solo or hold point.

FA only works when your team knows to not let you ever solo or hold point. It's very team dependent.

3 hours ago, Sunshine.5014 said:

What you're seeing is not that FA Ele is insane, it's their teammates that are insane.

FA Ele works well when everyone in your team knows what they are doing and rotate well. Put two top Ele players (one FA, one Fire Weaver) into Gold teams, and you will see the one playing FA losing badly to the one playing Fire Weaver. The team rotation will be messy, leaving the FA player will end up having to solo or hold point.

FA only works when your team knows to not let you ever solo or hold point. It's very team dependent.

This may be true in sPvP where FA is definitely not as good anymore due to power creep, but it is still an absolute beast of a 1v1 for WvW encounters and incredibly powerful at ganking and picking off unaware players in a zerg. It's also possible to win outnumbered battles with it as long as you are smart and use your lightening flashes and CC's correctly. This is because WvW has a lot more freedom of movement and ways to kite than sPvP, where you're usually just fighting on a point with (fairly) clear sight lines. It's definitely helps if you have a good team to help lock down your opponents (i mean, cant that be said about all classes?), but you can absolutely run an extremely effective FA Ele solo in WvW, no team required.

Edited by fuzzyp.6295

On 2/26/2022 at 9:54 PM, Sunshine.5014 said:

WELL... NO. i mean that those top 25 FA eles are INSANE! even on their own. i have a friend that will beat almost anything with his Freshair.

what you are saying is not wrong tho... but it is true for almost any class. If your team is trash and you have to fill holes in the teamcomp that you cant really fill with your profession you will succ.... thats true.