Are we ever gonna see a true engine overhaul?[Merged]

20 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

fullscreen being broken.

Yes this needs fixed please! Can't use Nvidia's upscaling without fullscreen mode. 

If they could fix the graphics pipeline to feed a lot to the GPU instead of the CPU, this in conjunction with Nvidia's upscaling feature would result in a bajillion FPS and really smooth WvW :D

What i want to see is better Performance. For Goodies yes some new Antialiasing, Ambient Occlusion, Lightning would be nice. Also better (Global?) Weather would bring alot of Immersion. But i do not think that we will see better Textures or a Big Revamp. Dx 11 runs alot smoother. That stutter is gone for me but some improvements when alot players are around would be fine. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grebcol.5984 said:

What i want to see is better Performance. For Goodies yes some new Antialiasing, Ambient Occlusion, Lightning would be nice. Also better (Global?) Weather would bring alot of Immersion. But i do not think that we will see better Textures or a Big Revamp. Dx 11 runs alot smoother. That stutter is gone for me but some improvements when alot players are around would be fine. 

You can enable Supersampling if you want better AA.

The other features you mentioned I doubt will ever happen. If they have the resources for it, great! I just hope their #1 goal is performance optimization. This game, IMO, is already beautiful. The watercolor art style is timeless and if they could just improve optimization I would be happy if they never touched graphics again. 

3 minutes ago, Kiro Kobra.6478 said:

You can enable Supersampling if you want better AA.

The other features you mentioned I doubt will ever happen. If they have the resources for it, great! I just hope their #1 goal is performance optimization. This game, IMO, is already beautiful. The watercolor art style is timeless and if they could just improve optimization I would be happy if they never touched graphics again. 

Now James Fulop said it in his Dev Post that the BGFX and Dx11 Update will allow them to add new "Shiny Things".  

Yeah but c'mon a new and better Watershader would be nice... 😛

15 minutes ago, Grebcol.5984 said:

Yeah but c'mon a new and better Watershader would be nice... 😛

It would be nice, especially if they optimized reflections to ignore the giant pool of water underneath each map zone. Why this game reflects water you can't see in the first place is beyond me xD

Edited by Kiro Kobra.6478
  • Like 2

Their water reflections are planar reflections. These work only on plane surfaces (like water without waves), but (unlike flexible but artefact heavy screen space reflections) are visually stable like raytracing reflections, but cost even more performance than raytracing reflections with something around quarter resolution precision - which is kind of absurd.

Edited by KrHome.1920
  • Thanks 1

Well, there are two threads in the Bugs section of the forum on behalf of the texture issues and client crashes, so I persist that those need to be addressed first. I love the performance boost of the current DX11 beta, especially the fact that it eliminates any micro stutters that occur under DX9, but those two things make it unplayable for many.

• Like 1