What if every month, there was a different free item on the Black Lion shop?

TagIsBad.1350

One of my favorite things about GW2 is how money-friendly the game is with gem items for the most part. Every now and then anet will give an item away on the gem shop, like a Black Lion Claim Ticket or a cape or something. I was thinking, what if there was one of these free gem items on the first of every month? A Black Lion Key one month, maybe a Heroic Booster another, and they could use it to give out cosmetics and other items too. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 2

Why not two? Or three? Why not make it every two weeks, or better every week, no? What if everything was free, wouldn't that be cool? Why stop there, why not develop skins and QoL stuff just to hand it out for free? While we're at it, why not make it a free item every day, just for logging in? But what about the people who can't? Well, how we just send them their daily free stuff when they log in the next time? Wouldn't that be cool? /sarcasm

Asking for free stuff always comes across very entitled. This game is as money-friendly as it gets. Devs need to eat to.

Edited by lokh.2695
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I really wish people would stop asking for free stuff in a (mostly) F2P game.  Egad!  How selfish these requests seem.  Is it really too much to ask for players to pony up a little cash to keep the servers on?

Given the criminal amount of money I've willingly spent in one sitting on this game (think hundreds),  multiple times, it's not too much of an ask to be honest.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

10 minutes ago, Borked.6824 said:

Given the criminal amount of money I've willingly spent in one sitting on this game (think hundreds),  multiple times, it's not too much of an ask to be honest.

So, then if someone spends hundreds on the game, then they should then get something free?

What about those that never buy gems, only have the base game…?  They should get something free as well?

• Like 4

If there were no benefit of them giving away free stuff, they wouldn't do it. It brings people to the gem store, where they might notice a another item they might want to get.

LOTRO gives away free items every week for the same reason etc.

It might be too much with 1 item every month though, but I see nothing wrong with the suggestion, but if it were every month I wouldn't expect better items than boosters, repair canisters etc. Black lion keys and black lion claim ticket would still be a rare occurence most likely 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, jokke.6239 said:

If there were no benefit of them giving away free stuff, they wouldn't do it. It brings people to the gem store, where they might notice a another item they might want to get.

LOTRO gives away free items every week for the same reason etc.

It might be too much with 1 item every month though, but I see nothing wrong with the suggestion, but if it were every month I wouldn't expect better items than boosters, repair canisters etc. Black lion keys and black lion claim ticket would still be a rare occurence most likely 🙂

My problem is more the slippery slope of this sugestion. We already get stuff for free every now and then. Sure, it's a revive orb, a booster and at best a key and it's all to incentivize more gemstore purchases. Like you said, you may find something else you will pay for, when you're getting your free salvage kit. Maybe you really like what you got and will buy more in the future. It's never really a "thank you", there's always economics behind it. Calculations that weigh the amount of free stuff necessary to generate income and the amount and cadence of free stuff we get seems to be what the numbers suggest is worthwhile for Anet.
Suggestions like this one is just proof of the mechanism in the players mind. We got free stuff every now and then, why not get it monthly? - We got free stuff monthly, why not bi-weekly? -we got free stuff bi-weekly, why not every five days? Why is the free stuff just a revive orb, couldn't it be a booster? -Why is the free stuff a booster, couldn't it be an endless harvesting tool? - Why is the free stuff an endless harvesting tool, couldnt' it be a GoE/GoB? ... It will never be good enough and at one point will outweigh the generated income or player retention.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

Two possibilities:

Either the items would be things people actually want - in which case the end result would be that people would end up buying less stuff from gemshop. Hardly something Anet might want.

Or, it would be items noone really cares about - in which case nobody would care (or perhaps even some people would get angry about it).

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Klowdy.3126 said:

Maybe it's just my age, or where I was raised, but asking for free things is what the poor kids, with parents that don't care did. Even the poor kids with struggling parent were taught to work for it. 

Ye me to, i never had a single thing given to me- and yes my family was very poor, we could not afford a 1 dollar chocolate bar, which was my birthday gift on my 6th birthday. I think it more depends on personal ethics- do you want to be dependent on others or on yourself, its fundamental decision, many take the easy route of begging. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

"What if"? Well, nothing. You'd just get some free items and that seems to be your only goal here. I'm not sure what responses you're expecting to get. Personally, I don't think it would influence much of anything and pretty sure it wouldn't positively influence the gemstore sales.

The way you've decided to start your post is pretty weird to me as well: "One of my favorite things about GW2 is how money-friendly the game is with gem items, so give me more free stuff"? @TagIsBad.1350 can you explain how you got from "point a" to "point b" there?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3

10 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I really wish people would stop asking for free stuff in a (mostly) F2P game.  Egad!  How selfish these requests seem.  Is it really too much to ask for players to pony up a little cash to keep the servers on?

Put your hands deep in your pockets kharmin and support the cause! 😊🤑

But yeah seriously I'm with you here though, too many lazy, woke types thinking they are entitled, wanting something for nothing all the time. 

It's basically f2p, no sub fees, even buying core game standard and/or HoT/PoF Xpacs GW2 is dirt cheap considering just how much sheer content players can unlock, and furthermore in the big scheme of life and how much other hobbies cost, cost of Gw2 is like a penny/cent in the ocean! 

Edited by Gregg.3970
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

18 minutes ago, Gregg.3970 said:

Put your hands deep in your pockets kharmin and support the cause! 😊🤑

But yeah seriously I'm with you here though, too many lazy, woke types thinking they are entitled, wanting something for nothing all the time. 

It's basically f2p, no sub fees, even buying core game standard and/or HoT/PoF Xpacs GW2 is dirt cheap considering just how much sheer content players can unlock, and furthermore in the big scheme of life and how much other hobbies cost, cost of Gw2 is like a penny/cent in the ocean! 

YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS! The second part lol. Kharmin doesn't have to support the cause 😬

Edited by Super Hayes.6890
Finished my train of thought... choo choo!
  • Confused 2